27%

Total votes: 15

greeneyed
Don Furner

2023 Rd 2 v Dolphins: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

2023 Rd 2 v Dolphins: Game Day

Canberra Raiders v Redcliffe Dolphins
Saturday 11 March, 5:30pm AEDT (4:30pm local)
Dolphin Oval
Gates open: 4:00pm
Tickets: Sold out
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502, Kayo
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Showers. 🌧️ Cloudy. Very high chance of showers. The chance of a thunderstorm with possible heavy falls. Light winds. Daytime maximum temperatures in the mid to high 20s. Chance of any rain: 100 per cent Possible rainfall: 15 to 70 mm Min 22 Max 27

The Canberra Raiders have remained north of the border and headed into camp on Queensland's Sunshine Coast as they prepare for their Round 2 clash with the newbies, the Dolphins. It is the second premiership match for the new entrant to the NRL, and the first at their home ground, Dolphin Oval at Redcliffe.

Last round: 2023 Round 1. North Queensland Cowboys 19 - Canberra Raiders 18. It was a game of two halves, as the oft used rugby league saying goes. The Cowboys almost played the completely perfect first half. They had an absolute mountain of possession and territory. It was remarkable, really, that the Raiders conceded just three tries in the opening 40 minutes. A testament to their defence. The Canberra comeback was even more remarkable. But when the Cowboys were offered the opportunity for a late field goal, they grabbed it.

More on Round 1: As I saw it

Team news: Raiders winger Jordan Rapana has been suspended for three matches, after a shoulder charge on Cowboys fullback Scott Drinkwater in Round 1. He's replaced by Albert Hopoate. Coach Ricky Stuart has said that he will be sticking with Sebastian Kris at fullback, until Xavier Savage returns from a broken jaw. But Hopoate gives Stuart extra fullback cover during the match. There are no other changes to the top 17. Josh Papalii (calf) has travelled to the Queensland to be part of the camp on the Sunshine Coast - but he has not been named. He's out until Round 4.

Mason Teague will make his NRL debut off the bench for the Dolphins replacing Ray Stone. Former Raiders Brenko Lee and Mark Nicholls have been named in the top 17, while another former Raider, Anthony Milford is on the reserves list.

Late changes: The Raiders omitted Zac Woolford, Trey Mooney and Peter Hola from their squad on Friday afternoon. The Dolphins cut JJ Collins, Kodi Nikorima, Anthony Milford. Neither team made any changes to their top 17.

History: The Raiders have played one NRL match at Dolphin Oval before - last year's Round 8 loss to the New Zealand Warriors. That match was memorable for all the wrong reasons. Canberra has also played some trial matches at Redcliffe. There was not much joy there either.

In 2007, the Raiders faced a combined Brisbane Broncos and Redcliffe Dolphins outfit. The same week, the Broncos met St Helens in the World Club Challenge in England. So 10 members of Brisbane's Queensland Cup feeder team the Aspley Broncos and nine Dolphins combined - and beat a full strength Raiders team, 18-12.

The Raiders led 6-4 at half time in a mistake riddled contest, but the Broncos-Dolphins ran in three tries in seven minutes at the back end of the second half. Wingers Denam Kemp and Gideon Mzembe, fullback Ryan Cullen and centre Nick Emmett all crossed for the home team, while Adrian Purtell and Phil Graham scored for the Raiders. It was reportedly the first time in 24 years that an NRL team had lost a trial to a lower tier team. The previous occasion saw a Group 9 representative team beat the Raiders, 24-18, in Temora in 1983.

Then in 2009, the Raiders met a full strength Broncos team in a Dolphin Oval trial - and lost 30-16. In front of a crowd in excess of 10,000, David Milne, Dane Tilse and Josh McCrone scored the three tries for the Raiders.

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett and Raiders coach Ricky Stuart are two of the longest serving coaches in the history of the game in Australia. They have faced each other in 29 matches - and Stuart has produced a win just nine times. Since Stuart joined the Raiders, Stuart has coached the club to victory against Bennett just three times, from 11 games. One of those was the memorable 2019 Preliminary Final won by the Raiders at Canberra Stadium.

Form: Raiders: WWWLL
Dolphins: One win.

The Dolphins produced a shock 28-18 win in their first ever NRL match in front of over 32,000 at Lang Park on Sunday. The unfortunate team to go down in the history books as their first victim? The Sydney Roosters. The Raiders, meanwhile, made a huge comeback in Townsville from 18-0 down - but the Cowboys produced a late field goal and a 19-18 win.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.60 favourites, with the Dolphins paying $2.35. The Dolphins have 3.5 points start in the line betting. The Dolphins' odds have shortened over the week.

Stat attack: Former Broncos winger, Jamayne Isaako bagged a double and scored 16 points in the season opener for the Dolphins. He also made 184 running metres and six tackle breaks. But the whole Dolphins team made heaps of metres. Fullback Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow led the way with 192 metres gained. Former Raiders forward Mark Nicolls produced 17 runs for 174 metres gained. The Bromwich brothers also broke the 100 metre mark. The Raiders will have to have to find a way to stem that sort of tide. They'll also have to watch hooker Jeremy Marshall-King. He was man of the match against the Roosters, and produced two try assists and a line break - while making 40 tackles.

2023 Season record: Raiders 0 and 1 (8th, -1)
Dolphins 1 and 0 (3rd, +10)

Attack: Raiders 18 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked equal sixth on tries scored
Dolphins 28 points and 5 tries scored per match, equal first on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 19 points and 3 tries conceded per match
Dolphins 18 points and 3 tries conceded per match

Possession: Raiders 46 per cent, Dolphins 56 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 78 per cent, Dolphins 78 per cent

Running: Raiders 1495 running metres per match
Dolphins 1853 running metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 29, Dolphins 32 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 3, Dolphins 5 per match

Try assists: Raiders 1, Dolphins 5 per match

Offloads: Raiders 8, Dolphins 13 per match

Kicking: Raiders 606 kicking metres per match
Dolphins 439 kicking metres per match

Missed tackles: Raiders 39, Dolphins 33 per match

Ineffective tackles: Raiders 8, Dolphins 9 per match

Errors: Raiders 11, Dolphins 12 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 6, Dolphins 2 per match

My tip: The Raiders are surprisingly favourites in this match. Statistical comparisons at this stage of the year don't tell us a whole lot, the eye test is the only thing we've got. And the eye test suggests that the Raiders are in for a very tough contest on Saturday. As you'd expect from a Wayne Bennett team, the Dolphins looked well drilled in game one. Their attack was cohesive and expansive - unlike the Raiders when they finally got some ball in the second half. The Raiders' defence was probably more impressive, given the uneven possession share they had to handle in Townsville. It remains to be seen how the Dolphins handle a grinding game.

The home crowd will benefit the Dolphins. Dolphin Oval is a sell out. It is a "boutique stadium" with only 10,000 seats. The Raiders have plenty of fans in Queensland - but there are also plenty of reports that they could not get tickets. It should be a good atmosphere, but one that will obviously favour the home team. The weather will still be warm, but rain is forecast, which should help the Green Machine. I'm going to tip the Raiders, but not by much. Raiders by four.

What they're saying:

Coach Ricky Stuart on the loss to the Cowboys: "The way we fought back, the boys have got a very proud coach. We've got a lot to work off. You have a look at the statistics with 15 minutes to go in the first half. There's not many football teams would then be 18 all with three or four to go in the second half - especially up here in this humidity and the uncomfortable climate. We didn't get the points and that's the disappointing part. But we've got something to work with here."

Canberra Raiders

1. Sebastian Kris
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Harley Smith-Shields
5. Albert Hopoate
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Pasami Saulo
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Corey Harawira-Naera

14. Tom Starling
15. Ata Mariota
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Emre Guler

18. James Schiller
19. Matt Frawley

Injury/Suspension

Josh Papalii, Calf (Round 4)
Jordan Rapana, Suspension (Round 5)
Xavier Savage, Jaw (Round 7)
Adrian Trevilyan, Shoulder/ACL (Mid-season 2023)

Redcliffe Dolphins

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Jamayne Isaako
3. Euan Aitken
4. Brenko Lee
5. Tesi Niu
6. Isaiya Katoa
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Jarrod Wallace
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Tom Gilbert

14. Connelly Lemuelu
15. Mark Nicholls
16. Mason Teague
17. Kurt Donoghoe

18. Poasa Faamausili
22. Robert Jennings

Injury/Suspension

Edrick Lee, Ankle (Round 3)
Herman Ese'ese, Pectoral (Round 4)

Officials

Referee: Todd Smith
Touch judges: Drew Oultram, Nick Pelgrave
Video referee: Gerard Sutton

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLDolphinsRaiders

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here
Junior Representatives teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Off
Laurie Daley

Re: 2023 Rd 2 v Dolphins: Game Day

Post by Off »

6.5 start the dolphins you have to be kidding me.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

We have the easiest draw in NRL history.

It starts right here !!!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

it should be Schiller but I'm happy for EJ to get the experience

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

Late notice but I have two tickets for sale. $50 for the pair. Would love to see some more green there.

DM me ladies and gentlemen.
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders!!
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Let’s harpoon these dolphins!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Game day! Who’s ready to have another weekend ruined? I know I am!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I do love a game day! Definitely no reason not to be up for this game! Should be a great atmosphere too. We definitely need to start better than we did last week to give ourselves a chance here. Early points can help take the crowd out of the game.

I think the raiders can jag a win here!
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

the selections around FB/wing are starting to make more sense to me. Given the HIA, especially new rules, you need a replacement for every other spot from within your 17.

So moving Kris to the back for 6 games is more valauble (over other options) because he becomes the FB should we lose Savage mid semi final.

Likewise, Hoppa gets the wing spot before Schiller this week because he has trained at FB as well as wing. Should we lose Kris he can cover FB. Something Schiller has not done.

I can live with the logic of this approach
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Could be the positional aspect. Hoppa covers anywhere in the back 5, he's played a fair bit of centre too.

I think replacing what Rapana usually offers- yards is maybe also why Hoppa got the nod. Hoppa has produced yards reliably in reggies and FG. Schiller isn't bad (I think he can be FG winger) but Hoppa is the more likely of the two to barge tough yards and to his credit has got himself on a break a few times too. It feels like Schiller can chime in on the razzle dazzle plays a bit more of anything sparks up on the right but Ricky seems to want graft at this stage.

Hoppa can keep quietly building a case for himself here. Hope he goes well and a pre season and year or so since his injuries that he finds a step of pace.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

No point worrying about covering all positions if you’re losing each week.

I’d have Schiller in this week.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Good luck to Hoppa in todays match. Coming back from multiple ACL injuries is a real test both physically and mentally. When he played last year he looked a bit tentative to me. Here's hoping his confidence is where it needs to be and he can apply selection pressure to others in the Raiders backline.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Dolphins by 53.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

It’s a just started raining here at the ground and doesn’t look like it’s going to get any better, radar looks bad
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of the Round 2 NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Redcliffe Dolphins. Join us for live scores and discussion right here from 5:30pm AEDT. The match is broadcast on Fox League and Kayo.

Here are the final squads.

Canberra Raiders

1. Sebastian Kris
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matthew Timoko
4. Harley Smith-Shields
5. Albert Hopoate
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Pasami Saulo
9. Danny Levi
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Corey Harawira-Naera

14. Tom Starling
15. Ata Mariota
16. Corey Horsburgh
17. Emre Guler

19. Matt Frawley

Injury/Suspension

Josh Papalii, Calf (Round 4)
Jordan Rapana, Suspension (Round 5)
Xavier Savage, Jaw (Round 7)
Adrian Trevilyan, Shoulder/ACL (Mid-season 2023)

Redcliffe Dolphins

1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
2. Jamayne Isaako
3. Euan Aitken
4. Brenko Lee
5. Tesi Niu
6. Isaiya Katoa
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Jarrod Wallace
11. Felise Kaufusi
12. Kenny Bromwich
13. Tom Gilbert

14. Connelly Lemuelu
15. Mark Nicholls
16. Mason Teague
17. Kurt Donoghoe

18. Poasa Faamausili
The Greenhouse score update service
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Keen to see how Cotric goes today. I thought he looked improved in the 2nd trial but was disappointing last week. Nice to see him have a big one this week.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Levi at 9. Christ we’re back in the Jason Burnham days.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Azza wrote: March 11, 2023, 3:54 pm Levi at 9. Christ we’re back in the Jason Burnham days.
Or another perspective is we are starting with the hooker from the world No.2 team 🤷‍♂️
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Geez Brando Lee could do with a few extras after training
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Teams getting pretty wet in the warm up. Teams now heading back into the sheds now.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Teams getting pretty wet in the warm up. Teams now heading back into the sheds now. Kick off is eight minutes away.
Last edited by The Greenhouse on March 11, 2023, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I'm loving this Dolphins vs don't worry we won't even bother to mention them coverage...

Are they sure they couldn't have fit in an interview with the Dolphins ball boy?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

I hope Corey Parker doesn’t head up to the commentary box, two weeks in a row against a Qld team with Parker’s going to be hard to take in.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ultima wrote: March 11, 2023, 4:23 pm I'm loving this Dolphins vs don't worry we won't even bother to mention them coverage...

Are they sure they couldn't have fit in an interview with the Dolphins ball boy?
You watching Fox? They interviewed Rick, then Bennett and the only other one was Marshall King?? It is their first home game. Mal has been talking us up.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The Raiders in their white jerseys again today. They're heading out onto the field now. The sheds are out the back of the eastern uncovered stand, with the Raiders running through the tunnel. Now the Redcliffe Dolphins.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Canberra Raiders kick off, they run to the leagues club end in the first half.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Rubbish first set now a penalty
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Ok first defensive set, average first attacking set, bad kick then we give away a penalty... Field is wet as all ****...
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Lots of water on the field. Doesn't look like the surface is going to survive this match without being chopped up badly.

3rd min PENALTY DOLPHINS for a ruck infringement. They attack from 30 metres out.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

4th min PENALTY RAIDERS for a sideways play the ball from the Dolphins right on the try line.
Last edited by The Greenhouse on March 11, 2023, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Lucky penalty, terrible touch finder, do we even practice them? We always make **** all ground or sometimes not even the sideline...
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Terribly executed short side play...