The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Michael
Mal Meninga

The Film Thread

Post by Michael »

This can be the thread for all general film discussion/questions/reviews, seeing as we only have the DVD thread and no-one ever posts in there.

To begin with, what are people's views on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I watched it the other day and I have to say I was very disappointed. Nick, you're a huge fan of it aren't you?
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Re: The Film Thread

Post by The Naked Zombie »

Michael wrote:Nick, you're a huge fan of it aren't you?
And pies... Nick's also a huge fan of pies.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:This can be the thread for all general film discussion/questions/reviews, seeing as we only have the DVD thread and no-one ever posts in there.

To begin with, what are people's views on Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, I watched it the other day and I have to say I was very disappointed. Nick, you're a huge fan of it aren't you?
Massive fan. It's **** brillient
Me and Peter Garrett are going to my house mates 21st (movie themed) as Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo

As far as the film making goes, its not that flash, but for random bits of hilarious script, it can not be beaten. Johnny Deep captured Hunter S. almost perfectly.
The Naked Zombie
Gary Belcher

Post by The Naked Zombie »

Raider_69 wrote:Johnny Deep captured Hunter S. almost perfectly.
He was brilliant in Pirates of the Carri-Peen and What's Eating Gilbert's Grapes?

Bloody hell, I've ruined this thread already :nooo
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Raider_69 wrote:
Michael wrote:This can be the thread for all general film discussion/questions/reviews, seeing as we only have the DVD thread and no-one ever posts in there.

Massive fan. It's f**king brillient
Me and Peter Garrett are going to my house mates 21st (movie themed) as Raoul Duke and Dr. Gonzo

As far as the film making goes, its not that flash, but for random bits of hilarious script, it can not be beaten. Johnny Deep captured Hunter S. almost perfectly.
I've gotta say I was disappointed - the whole point of the book was the drug-fueled trip to Vegas as an allusion for the decline of the 60's, to represent the fact that America was in the sewer and no-one cared anymore. Instead the movie was just a hodge-podge of direct quotations from the book and zany little sequences, usually with Del Toro acting like a lunatic. Johnny Depp does HST well (aside from the fact that HST was 6'5" and Depp is about 4'7"), but once you get over that the movie just doesn't flow at all. What you get is a lot of quotable scenes and drug jokes, and pretty much the whole point of the story is missed.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

I can definitely see where you're coming from, partically since you read the book first which is a rather serious book, but i think you're probably taking the movie far to seriously, i recon its a great popcorn flick, just something you can sit back, not think too much about and have a laugh. i think you just sit back and enjoy it for what it is and not try to make it serious, you'd have enjoyed it a lot more
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I agree that I probably hoped for more than what I was getting, but I don't really see the point of the whole film - like if you're going to make a movie based on the book, you may as well manage to get the point across. Terry Gilliam really makes pretty rubbish movies for the most part.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

What did you think of Chopper Michael
because having read the books myself, the way you describe Fear and Loathing is similar to the way i used to describe chopper, a lot of direct quotations from his books, random scene's that dont really tell a story at all, but some piss funny moments and once you get past Bana's brillient Mark Read impersonations, theres not much to it, and could have been a **** better
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Raider_69 wrote:What did you think of Chopper Michael
because having read the books myself, the way you describe Fear and Loathing is similar to the way i used to describe chopper, a lot of direct quotations from his books, random scene's that dont really tell a story at all, but some piss funny moments and once you get past Bana's brillient Mark Read impersonations, theres not much to it, and could have been a **** better
Haven't read the books. I enjoyed Chopper, though very hard to watch in parts...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I saw "Into the Wild" and thought it was very good... despite the Zen and art of running off to find oneself in the wilderness theme. The most poignant thing is that it is a true story... and the end was wrenching because it was true.

Also saw "3.10 to Yuma" with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale. It is a remake of the classic western... but it is an excellent one. Very good phsychological thriller, more than a western, with the interplay between the characters and the building of suspense the critical feature.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I can't wait to see No Country for Old Men, it sounds like the Coen brothers have returned to form with this one after a couple of pretty average films.
Peter Garrett
Simon Woolford

Post by Peter Garrett »

greeneyed wrote: Also saw "3.10 to Yuma" with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale. It is a remake of the classic western... but it is an excellent one. Very good phsychological thriller, more than a western, with the interplay between the characters and the building of suspense the critical feature.
I enjoyed that movie a lot...until the end. The ending was just so ridiculous that it pretty much ruined the whole thing for me. Good performances, well directed, just let down by a very poor ending to the story.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Peter Garrett wrote:
greeneyed wrote: Also saw "3.10 to Yuma" with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale. It is a remake of the classic western... but it is an excellent one. Very good phsychological thriller, more than a western, with the interplay between the characters and the building of suspense the critical feature.
I enjoyed that movie a lot...until the end. The ending was just so ridiculous that it pretty much ruined the whole thing for me. Good performances, well directed, just let down by a very poor ending to the story.
As I recall... it was the end of the original movie... shouldn't mess around with the classics.
Peter Garrett
Simon Woolford

Post by Peter Garrett »

I haven't seen the original, but yes you are right it did end the same way. That doesn't make it good though. To me the relationship between Crowe's and Bale's characters didn't develop enough to justify the way it ended.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I wait until a movie goes to DVD and becomes a weekly before I watch it, that way I can rent it on tight ass Tuesday for one dollar. Anyone seen Clerks 2? I liked it better than Clerks 1. It actually had something resembling a storyline, and I liked the dynamic of the new characters, Becky and the geeky dude.

I can contribute to the Fear and Loathing discussion because it's one of my favourite books ever. I think it says something that the movie is not near being one of my favourites. More than anything I think it just overdid the drug aspect of the book. It's hard to describe what the book is about, but I'm sure it's mroe than just a couple of idiots on a massive trip.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Yeah, I don't know how you can make a coherent movie based on Fear and Loathing, but Terry Gilliam sure didn't manage it.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

:lol: funny you should mention Clerks 2 Kris, i just got my copy back from a mate after nearly 8 months of MIA... just in the middle of watching it
im not sure its as good as Clerks 1 but its **** close, clerks 1 in terms of humour, i think was better, but the movie had basically no story and was just like a stand up routine, story wise clerks 2 was better and Kevin Smith rates it his favourite movie, very close. Id give the nod slightly to clerks 1 because the dialogue was imo, better. But both are fantastically under-rated movies. Infact all kevin smiths films are under-rated imo... except jersy girl, :lol:

Im a massive Kevin Smith fan though, id rank Dogma one of his best flicks, Chasing Amy was good too.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

What are your feelings on Gigli Nick?
Peter Garrett
Simon Woolford

Post by Peter Garrett »

Canberra Milk wrote:
I can contribute to the Fear and Loathing discussion because it's one of my favourite books ever. I think it says something that the movie is not near being one of my favourites. More than anything I think it just overdid the drug aspect of the book. It's hard to describe what the book is about, but I'm sure it's mroe than just a couple of idiots on a massive trip.
I love the movie but you are right the book has so much more substance. The book is definitive of its era, it really captures the feeling of the times. The movie doesn't quite get there because it tends to emphasize the comedic aspects a little more. Which isn't exactly a bad thing, the movie is **** hilarious!

I am glad that most of the tidal wave speech is reproduced ad verbatim in the movie, that is one of my all time favourite passages of writing.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Michael wrote:What are your feelings on Gigli Nick?
havent seen it to be honest, but the reviews are hardly glowing... a quick IMDB search tells me abit more about the film... its a romantic comedy with Ben Affleck and J-Lo... to say im not chopping at the bit to see it would be an understatement

would my assumptions be correct? is this movie a dogs breakfast?

I liked what Kevin smith said in an interview, they asked him how he'd survive after the jersy girl flop, he responded with "I survived Benifer, so this should be a piece of cake"
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Its absolutely horrible - I struggled through about 45 mins when it was on pay TV before I nearly carved my eyes out of my skull. Ben Affleck attempts to play a gangster, and J-Lo struggles. Its so bad that no-one was ever going to forgive Kevin Smith - heard much from him lately?
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

I am confused as to what kevin Smith has to do with Gigji, i had wondered why i hadnt seen, because if it was a Smith film id have seen it im sure... IMDB has no link to Smith what so ever, written and directed by Martin Brest. Smith isnt accredited at all to the movie.

As for what he is up to now, last i herd he had done a pilot for a TV show that might of been getting picked up and working on a horror movie... lolz, cant imagine a kevin smith horror movie, unless he's redoing jersy girl
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

**** my bad I had it mixed up - for some reason I had it in my head that Kevin Smith directed that one.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

You're almost certainly thinking of Jersy Girl, which he did direct and that was **** **** :lol:
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Raider_69 wrote:You're almost certainly thinking of Jersy Girl, which he did direct and that was f**king **** :lol:
Thats the one!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Watched Dogma yesterday. Fell a bit short of expectations, maybe because I'd heard a lot of people say it was the best out of the Jay and Silent Bob series etc. Not many laugh out loud moments. Still good tho, I liked the actors.
Paul Redeye
Noa Nadruku

Post by Paul Redeye »

I saw the Clerks 2 premier with Kevin Smith doing a Q and A afterwards. He had quite a bit to say about Jersey girl. He still thinks it is an OK movie, suffered a lot of bad press due to it coming out just after the forementioned **** gigji. Anything with J-lo and Affleck probably deserves to be trashed. Of course it is the only Kevin Smith film that does not have Jay and Silent Bob in it, enough said. Definately his lowpoint in my opinion.
He spoke for about 2 hours after the Clerks 2 premier and he is a Funny guy. If you get the chance look out for his Q and A DVD's as they are a good laugh. Just read his book, that's pretty funny too. Big fan!
mike83au
Steve Walters

Post by mike83au »

I saw 3:10 to Yuma at the Open Air Cinema last Friday.

Now I don't usually enjoy westerns or Russell Crowe for that matter, but this was a really enjoyable film. Has you on the edge of your seat for the entire movie and there's a nice little twist at the end. I would definately recommend it.

3.5 stars, David and Margaret.

Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Paul Redeye wrote:I saw the Clerks 2 premier with Kevin Smith doing a Q and A afterwards. He had quite a bit to say about Jersey girl. He still thinks it is an OK movie, suffered a lot of bad press due to it coming out just after the forementioned **** gigji. Anything with J-lo and Affleck probably deserves to be trashed. Of course it is the only Kevin Smith film that does not have Jay and Silent Bob in it, enough said. Definately his lowpoint in my opinion.
He spoke for about 2 hours after the Clerks 2 premier and he is a Funny guy. If you get the chance look out for his Q and A DVD's as they are a good laugh. Just read his book, that's pretty funny too. Big fan!
Ive got his Q&A dvd's, that are **** hilarious
he takes the piss out of so many people in the crowd
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Raider_69 wrote:I am confused as to what kevin Smith has to do with Gigji, i had wondered why i hadnt seen, because if it was a Smith film id have seen it im sure... IMDB has no link to Smith what so ever, written and directed by Martin Brest. Smith isnt accredited at all to the movie.

As for what he is up to now, last i herd he had done a pilot for a TV show that might of been getting picked up and working on a horror movie... lolz, cant imagine a kevin smith horror movie, unless he's redoing jersy girl
He's a producer on a new show called Reaper and he directed the pilot. It's on Seven in February. Great show, it's a black comedy.

I have his Q and A DVD as well. Never laughed so hard in my life. The bit where he had a bit of a discussion with a gay chick about Chasing Amy was hilarious. :lol:
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

100%green wrote:
Raider_69 wrote:I am confused as to what kevin Smith has to do with Gigji, i had wondered why i hadnt seen, because if it was a Smith film id have seen it im sure... IMDB has no link to Smith what so ever, written and directed by Martin Brest. Smith isnt accredited at all to the movie.

He's a producer on a new show called Reaper and he directed the pilot. It's on Seven in February. Great show, it's a black comedy.

I have his Q and A DVD as well. Never laughed so hard in my life. The bit where he had a bit of a discussion with a gay chick about Chasing Amy was hilarious. :lol:
:lol: yea classic
me and my house were using the phrase "hide behind a rock" for months after seeing the DVD... and Mewes - "Half, half, hooold"
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Raider_69 wrote:
100%green wrote:

:lol: yea classic
me and my house were using the phrase "hide behind a rock" for months after seeing the DVD... and Mewes - "Half, half, hooold"
I loved the stories he told about the dude who was producing the Superman movie ( what a **** he is!!! ) and the story on Prince.

Gotta say I loved Clerks 2. The LOTR/Star Wars scene was classic.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I prefer Clerks 1, but also thought Clerks 2 was great. Especially the scene with Stacey (think that was the name?), that was classic.

Fear and Loathing went nowhere for me when I watched it, was probably a bit tired at the time though.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Just watched Cloverfield after a night out with the girl:

Overall, pretty average. The whole concept of telling the story via handicam where the viewer only every knows as much as the participants is a good one, it gives things a different, edgier slant.

But seriously, this is 2008 and we're still making movies about huge monsters invading Manhattan Island (its always Manhattan Island too for some reason) - please, King Kong was made in about 1933 and its never been improved upon. If Manhattan was struck by some sort of other crisis, even similar to the plot of I am Legend, then it might have had legs.

There was no attempt at back-story at all, no attempt to explain how the monster got there, what it was doing there etc - I'm sure it was deliberate, but it just made you care less. It was well-made and decently acted, but instantly disposable - I can't wait to see No Country for Old Men tomorrow night and watch the Coen Brothers at their finest.
Sossman
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Sossman »

I'm sure some of you have read "The Rum Diaries" by HST. Thats is being / has been made into a movie and I can't wait to see it. Enjoyed that book far more than Fear and Loathing.
4 Time Boogs Award Winner.

Get tested for VIKING CLAP today. https://www.health.act.gov.au/hospitals ... lth-centre.