The Film Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: The Film Thread

Post by gangrenous »

Yo, you should listen to me. I came up with hundreds of plans and only one of them got me killed.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I watched Wakanda forever the other night just so I could complain about how **** it is. But unfortunately I fell asleep so now I don't know how best to direct my complaints.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I enjoyed it, but in an easy marvel mark and as soon as Namor appeared i was all in. The old comic book nerd in me took over

As as today when i got out to watch Antman and the Wasp... just love seeing all these cool characters i loved as a kid come to some life in the movies, even if the movies themselves arent always top shelf.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We've been watching a ton of movies that are filmed or shot in japan recently in the lead up to our holiday
We hit bullet train last night

Very fun mindless action film
I also went and saw John Wick 4 and it was also has a lot of japan scenery and it was very much same church different pew. Super ridiculous and dumb action film but just good mindless fun
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Loved Bullet Train! Went into it expecting it to be silly, but was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Brad Pitt was top shelf.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: March 25, 2023, 3:23 pm Loved Bullet Train! Went into it expecting it to be silly, but was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Brad Pitt was top shelf.
Very ready for an equally mindlessly dumb Lemon and Tangerine spin off movie.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched Bullet Train last night and, on reflection, I thought it was rubbish.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

The Film Thread

Post by Sid »

Watched ‘Air’ the other night, worth a look when it comes out on streaming services I reckon. No real need to see it in movies given it’s mostly dialogue rather than action (as you’d expect) and it’s not the kind of film that’s going to come with any major spoilers.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

May the fourth be with all Star Wars fans today.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: April 10, 2023, 4:29 pm Watched ‘Air’ the other night, worth a look when it comes out on streaming services I reckon. No real need to see it in movies given it’s mostly dialogue rather than action (as you’d expect) and it’s not the kind of film that’s going to come with any major spoilers.
Pretty keen to have a look at it when it hits streaming... sounds like they did a great job with casting and telling the story
im in on anything Jordan, i found the last dance so interesting.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Anybody seen the new guardians of the galaxy?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: May 4, 2023, 10:44 pm Anybody seen the new guardians of the galaxy?
Made the call on this one that im going to wait for it to come out on Disney... the last few Marvel offerings have been a little underwhelming
The MCU is in a little bit of a tough spot that it needs to work itself out of
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:
gergreg wrote: May 4, 2023, 10:44 pm Anybody seen the new guardians of the galaxy?
Made the call on this one that im going to wait for it to come out on Disney... the last few Marvel offerings have been a little underwhelming
The MCU is in a little bit of a tough spot that it needs to work itself out of
Yeah this is me. Haven’t seen anything from Wakanda onwards. I’m kind of feeling like I’m done with the MCU. I keep thinking “Wakanda, Antman, GOTG3 and I’m out”… but I’m struggling for motivation.

Flip side, Mrs Fui and I decided to knuckle down and get into Lord Of The Rings… **** I have no idea why I missed it. The Hobbits **** me up the wall, but I’m loving it. Watching Pt 3 tonight.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Oh man LOTRs is sick
Once you finish the films loop back around into Rings of Power the recent tv series which is awesome too

the lore of that world is mind blowing
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah that’s the plan. Depending on Mrs Fui, I’ll either watch it with her, or it’s my new train show.

We were on the fence also about the Hobbit series. Thinking whether it’d be worth it if we don’t like those mofos. Coworker just told me they’re the same as the trilogy, and not all about Hobbits, so I might give it a go also.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Anyone else seeing the online push for Jensen Ackles to play Batman in Brave and the Bold, or is it because my algorithms reflect my love of Supernatural?

Absolutely here for him to don the cowl. A Dean Winchester / Soldier Boy style Bat can have all my money

Nickman's love of NSW
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Went to see the latest Indiana Jones movie a couple of weeks ago. It was much more like the first in the series and we loved it. The technology to have Harrison Ford look like he did 40 years ago was amazing. If this really is the end of the IJ series then it was a good way to go out..

Yesterday we took our 9 year old grandson to see the latest Transformers movie. Loved it as well. Again the technology to bring it all to life was terrific. After the movie 'ends' stick around for a few more minutes to see how they have set up some of the characters for another movie series unrelated, until now, with Transformers.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Sound of freedom - very moving. Really enjoyed it.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We went to see Napoleon last night. It was ok, but I found it a bit disjointed in how it has been edited. Some historical items completely left out eg. Battle of Trafalgar, his overthrow of the Spanish Monarchy and the subsequent revolt a few years after Trafalgar of his erstwhile ally Spain. The battle scenes were strong and the enduring love of Napoleon and Josephine.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I watched Killers of the Flower Moon tonight. Very good film, but very, very long (three hours and twenty six minutes). Oppenheimer… struggled to keep paying attention over three hours. Felt way longer than Killers of the Flower Moon. I suspect both would have been better films, if they were significantly shorter. Both are brilliant produced, technically.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dune 2 was very awesome
I got into the books just before the first movie was released and the movies have been really well put together. I've read the first 4 books, it started to lose me in book 4 that but i think the trilogy they're aiming for here are ends with book 2. Which has a pretty clean (ish!) ending and i love where we're going with this.

Visually stunning movie and the music is superb... It's an interesting world and sci-fi IP and im thrilled it's having a big moment.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I went to see Argylle last week. For anyone looking to see it - my assessment is DON'T BOTHER. I actually nodded off for a few minutes during the film. Without giving the story away, the main actress has two roles in the film. One she is well suited for but the other 'action' role she moves with the grace of a three legged dog and is so poor you almost feel sorry for her. Except she was reportedly paid $US8m for the role. The best actor on screen is the cat. How believable is it - Wrestler John Cena plays an electronic technical 'expert'. nuff said.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

RedRaider wrote: March 6, 2024, 7:50 am I went to see Argylle last week. For anyone looking to see it - my assessment is DON'T BOTHER. I actually nodded off for a few minutes during the film. Without giving the story away, the main actress has two roles in the film. One she is well suited for but the other 'action' role she moves with the grace of a three legged dog and is so poor you almost feel sorry for her. Except she was reportedly paid $US8m for the role. The best actor on screen is the cat. How believable is it - Wrestler John Cena plays an electronic technical 'expert'. nuff said.
It's a bit of lighthearted fun. Not to be taken seriously.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Azza wrote: September 8, 2023, 11:31 am Sound of freedom - very moving. Really enjoyed it.
A lot of red flags about this film and how "factual" it is.

Jim Caviezel is a bit of a douche as well.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Whatever. Weren’t you the guy who complained about Shawshank because you didn’t understand how he removed the poster from the inside?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Went and saw Dune 2 today. Great cinema experience. A really well made film. My only criticism was the finale seemed rushed in comparison to the pacing in the rest of both films. It's been a very long time since I've read the book but I thought the movies captured the main themes of book quite well.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

gerg wrote: April 18, 2024, 11:17 pm Went and saw Dune 2 today. Great cinema experience. A really well made film. My only criticism was the finale seemed rushed in comparison to the pacing in the rest of both films. It's been a very long time since I've read the book but I thought the movies captured the main themes of book quite well.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I like that an actual huge fan of Dune is driving it this time. I haven't seen Dune 2 just yet.

A lot of people give grief to Lynch's Dune (including critics to this day), but they fail to realise that he was completely screwed over by the production company. So much so he asked for his name to be removed from the theatrical release (he Alan Smithee'd them). Some of the Lynchian oddness aside (which I actually find amusing myself), I actually still enjoy the film at is proper 178min running time thanks to the Spicediver fan edit. There are many changes in it and a lot more breathing time.

-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.