Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders right up to cap limit

Post by greeneyed »

Tigers caught in cap scare
By Steve Mascord
March 11, 2006

AT least five clubs scrambled to get under the salary cap in the final two days before the season started last night - and premier Wests Tigers assured the NRL it had complied only three hours ahead of kick-off against St George Illawarra.

Club officials last night gave an insight into the anxiety surrounding the $3.36 million wages ceiling, and the last-minute deals that had to be done just to make it to round one.

"I would say every club is affected," Wests Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell said. "I've had a shocking day. I can't wait until the season starts."

Canberra, South Sydney, New Zealand Warriors, Melbourne and Wests Tigers confirmed they had gone down to the wire in getting their affairs in order for salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.

Several of the clubs - led by the controversy-ravaged Warriors - had asked players to vary payments to get them under the salary cap.

Others wanted to finalise third-party agreements ranging from newspaper columns to endorsement deals.

"This is a normal occurrence," NRL chief executive David Gallop said. "All clubs will be under or on the cap by the time the season kicks off."

A large part of McDonnell's day was spent on allowing for bonuses should Wests Tigers players make representative teams for the first time in 2006, along with finalising registrations and clearances.

All clubs had until the close of business yesterday to lodge statutory declarations that they were under the cap.

Asked mid-afternoon if he would take until 4.59pm, McDonnell replied: "What, do you think we're slack around here? Try 4.30.

"I have to get it signed by (chief executive) Steve Noyce and then drive it across to Dave Trodden, our chairman and then - thankfully - I can fax it to Schuey."

Canberra chief executive Simon Hawkins and Melbourne chief executive Brian Waldron each said they had asked "a couple" of players to vary payments to get under the cap.

"It's easier to do it in the last week," Hawkins, who submitted the Raiders' stat dec on Thursday, said.

Waldron said: "Ian Schubert came down on Monday and we signed off on last year and settled this year.

"I signed the stat dec then, but we had to get it to my chairman, who signed it on Wednesday, and then it went to the league."

Warriors chairman Maurice Kidd said he was indebted to a group of players who had agreed to defer payments - but he declined to name them because of privacy issues.

His comments came on the day the Warriors were told their loss of four competition points and a $430,000 fine for salary cap breaches would stand.

South Sydney yesterday provided some information Schubert required regarding an endorsement deal for new signing Joe Galuvao.

Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen said his club had made several payment adjustments between the end of last season and the beginning of this year.

Sharks chief Greg Pierce said: "We have a week's grace because of the bye but we will have money left under the cap."

The Daily Telegraph

www.news.com.au