Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart signs four-year contract extension

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart set to sign four-year contract extension

Post by Brew »

Billy Walker wrote:
Brew wrote: May 14, 2024, 7:49 pm I look forward to years of the GH sooks crying whilst they can’t do a single thing about it, throw in your memberships, posts on the forums, do whatever you want, waste all your energy, Ricky is here to stay !!!!

How good!

He will give it another good crack too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you suggesting we add a T to the title of the “Coaching Issues” thread to make it “Coaching Tissues”…. Seems fitting for some.
I fear for those poor souls in that thread, they will exhaust another 5 years of their lives crying and whinging…but the King will still be there

In Ricky We Trust
denissnowy
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Papa

Re: Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart set to sign four-year contract extension

Post by denissnowy »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2024, 8:59 pm nvm
its not worth it... Leebola has summed it up

This re-signing was inevitable, i know this is Stuart's job until he doesnt want it regardless of results.
It is what it is... these young lads are incredibly talented and our best hope is that their talent overcomes the shortcomings of a man who's got a job for life and no accountability.

Help us Sanders, Strange and Stewart... you're our only hope
I would happily settle for the bloke showing some professional growth and getting some sort of attack in place that ain't crash ball or chuck to X player and hope.

I'd also love him to take the media task on the Ricky's Raiders nonsense. Anytime he is interviewed and the words "your raiders" is muttered by the interviewer he needs to simply say something along the lines of "the Raiders belong to canberrans, not me". But he's an egomaniac, so will never happen.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:09 pm Dumb question - I think it's the most relevant question when you sack someone - do you have someone better to replace them with? If the answer is no, why change? To follow suit of other cellar dwelling clubs. Its the easiest and laziest argument in the book to blame coaches. It's a simple, logical thought that organisations take when moving people on, you consider the alternatives. If they aren't better, you dont move them on.

Haha, great coaches. Sure, they are very good coaches, all NRL coaches are, but they are sitting at powerhouse clubs with a host of hall of famers. You're comparing apples and oranges to the Raiders. And don't say "he's had 10 years" because you're implying it's an even competition, which quite obviously it is not.
The assumption of the question is that if I, Botman, of theGH.com.au, doesnt have a name, then a name simply does not exist
And im an arrogant SOB but even im not that **** arrogant. Im glad you think so highly of me that if i dont have the answer, then it cant exist but i promise you, your faith is misplaced.

I dont know who the candidates out there are who could be very good NRL HC's. I know Jason Ryles. I know Peter Wallace.I know Justin Holbrook (and yes, yes, yes i know he got a shot and was fired... guess what? our lad was fired twice!). I know Kristian Woolf who's tabbed to take over from Bennett at the phins. I know the walkers are offering themselves up and their unique methods for a free trial. Billy Slater is very impressive! There is a few names and ideas. I dont know if anyone of them will be good, bad or indifferent,

If it were my job to run an NRL football club, i might make it business to know these things, but since running an NRL football team is NOT my job, i am not across this aspect of our game. But i assure you there are people out there who will be hired and be good NRL coaches despite Botman on theGH not know who they are. :lol:

Your argument basically boils down to this:
You do not trust our club and it's decision makers to do better. It's not about HIM. It's that despite his lack of demonstrated success, abilities and accomplishments, you think this is the best we can do. You've not put forth a single argument so far about why HE is good. Just a classic "The grass might not be greener on the otherside!" argument... which ignores that it might be greener! But we'll never know.

And that, coming from you, cant be topped in terms of a commentary on this situation.

Here is my challenge... dont tell me this is the right decision because of what someone else might or might be.
Tell me this is the right decision because of what Ricky Stuart is as a coach. Tell me about what he brings to the table, what demonstrated abilities he has to bring this team to where we want it to be. He's got the job. Tell me why he's going to prove me wrong?
Last edited by Botman on May 14, 2024, 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

Bluesbrother wrote:Raiders will never do better than Ricky as the coach. It's his job as long as he wants it. I actually fear for the future of the Raiders when he does step away as the only time anyone talks about the Raiders is when Ricky is mentioned. Next man up will likely be Justin Giteau when Rick feels like stepping away. Unless ofcourse the coaching masterminds of Webster or Payten become available....
I’d be grooming Sammy Williams into the system I think he will make a good Coach one day

In Ricky We Trust
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

We don't know who the next best coaches are guys. We aren't working within the game, it's for the powers that be to figure it out.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:40 pm
Finchy wrote: May 14, 2024, 8:53 pm
Botman wrote: May 14, 2024, 8:29 pm We had a better coach in Wayne Bennett, replaced them with a better coach in Tim Sheens, were a powerpoint presentation from Matt Elliott away from hiring a better one in Wayne Bennett

The idea that we cant do better is demonstratably false. And if your best arguement for justifying this is "we cant do better" then i think that says all it needs to say about the coach. A bloke with 10 years on the job should have stronger arguments for being retained than "we could do worse!"
We tried to sign Wayne Bennett again?
Think he's referring to Bellemy/Bellamy
:lol: :lol:
Gotta own that one, ive never been able to not **** that one up
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Brew wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:41 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Brew wrote: May 14, 2024, 7:49 pm I look forward to years of the GH sooks crying whilst they can’t do a single thing about it, throw in your memberships, posts on the forums, do whatever you want, waste all your energy, Ricky is here to stay !!!!

How good!

He will give it another good crack too!

Are you suggesting we add a T to the title of the “Coaching Issues” thread to make it “Coaching Tissues”…. Seems fitting for some.
I fear for those poor souls in that thread, they will exhaust another 5 years of their lives crying and whinging…but the King will still be there

And this is the best part of the Ricky train - those that championed the driver get to ride it to the same destination we all do - Nowheresville!! I hope you've booked yourself a first-class carriage. All aboard!!
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I’m not unhappy with this. As a few posters point out, who would you sign ?

Brent Read said it best tonight on 360 in my opinion. He keeps us on the nrl map; we are not attracting people here just with cash. This next crop of players have potential as a unit and they signed for Stick; want to play for Stick and to think that we would have Strange, Sanders and Stewart without Stick is laughable.

Like it or not he’s our guy so whether you love him, hate him or everything in between…you might as well embrace him.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I don't think we even looked at, discussed, or considered other candidates. A responsible and independent board should have those open discussions. Have we tried approaching Slater/Cameron Smith/Cronk with good money for 2026 (when Ricky's contract runs out)? I like the way how they think about football. They also come from a winning system and culture. Someone like Stacey Jones who's been involved in the Warriors' pathways system would be interesting. Also would attract NZ talent. Don't think you can say "nah, they won't be interested" w/o even finding out. Same with player recruitment.

Don't know what KPIs the board assesses Ricky with. But the fans want a premiership. Even if the board are minded to extend him, it would be more sensible to sign him for a shorter contract, and if we make top 4, extend him.
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on May 14, 2024, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

We're a stupid club.
Jesus wept...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Few of my thoughts:

- It was inevitable he'd be extended, I think most would agree. For him to be at risk of being dumped, we'd need probably need to ensure a catastrophic season akin to the one Furner had in 2013 (closest he came was in 2014, picking up Furner's pieces).

- Four years though, at this stage of his tenure? Excesssive, IMO. Just like his last extension.

- My biggest worry is that he can't see past the fog of the holding pattern we've been in for the past three seasons. The Stuart of 2015 was ruthless with his squad management. He knew what he wanted and what we needed. He signed players and cut his losses when it was quickly apparent that they weren't pulling weight. He re-signed players to shore up squad numbers, and then shipped them off the minute he could improve on them. The one of 2024 is seemingly tinged by nostalgia and full of attachment issues.

- Yes, the new generation of spine players establishing themselves now or soon is something to be buoyed by, but that's if he gets it right with them AND gets the rest of the squad right too. See point above for further.

- Not every coach has the ability to adapt season after season, NRL generation after generation - typically only the real special ones can survive the perils of potential uselessness and irrelevancy. There are clear signs that the game may be passing him by.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:58 pm I don't think we even looked at, discussed, or considered other candidates. A responsible and independent board should have those open discussions. Have we tried approaching Slater/Cameron Smith/Cronk with good money for 2026 (when Ricky's contract runs out)? I like the way how they think about football. They also come from a winning system and culture. Someone like Stacey Jones who's been involved in the Warriors' pathways system would be interesting. Also would attract NZ talent. Don't think you can say "nah, they won't be interested" w/o even finding out. Same with player recruitment.

Don't know what KPIs the board assesses Ricky with. But the fans want a premiership. Even if the board are minded to extend him, it would be more sensible to sign him for a shorter contract, and if we make top 4, extend him.
While I'm on board with this post, I'm not sure great players make a great coach. The guys you mention have an innate rugby league ability that may not be coachable.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

greeneyed wrote: May 14, 2024, 7:59 pm Interesting to see the Raiders Chair say this, per The Canberra Times.

“Richardson said the club wouldn't waste its time on a succession plan given Stuart is just 57 years old. Other clubs, including South Sydney and the Dolphins, have opted to plan for younger coaches to take over from Wayne Bennett only to end up with egg on their faces.

"You don't look at succession plans four years out and those clubs who do normally fall on their face," Richardson said.”

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
I can't say he's wrong. 5.5 years out is way too early to be planning for succession anyway. The only coaches you'd get hanging around that long for a vague promise of a FG coaching spot are the Dunemann's and Furner's of the world who have no other head coaching prospects.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Leebola wrote: May 14, 2024, 10:09 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:58 pm I don't think we even looked at, discussed, or considered other candidates. A responsible and independent board should have those open discussions. Have we tried approaching Slater/Cameron Smith/Cronk with good money for 2026 (when Ricky's contract runs out)? I like the way how they think about football. They also come from a winning system and culture. Someone like Stacey Jones who's been involved in the Warriors' pathways system would be interesting. Also would attract NZ talent. Don't think you can say "nah, they won't be interested" w/o even finding out. Same with player recruitment.

While I'm on board with this post, I'm not sure great players make a great coach. The guys you mention have an innate rugby league ability that may not be coachable.
Some posters asked for names besides Ricky so I provided some. Slater has already shown he's a good coach. Inspirational even. Ricky does not know how to coach in the modern game, particularly in attack. Stacey Jones has been assistant coach at the Warriors, and is now NZ coach. He was assistant coach to Madge when NZ beat Australia 30-0.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I think much of that comes down to intelligence. Fittler and Johns were incredible players, but are complete boofheads who couldn’t form an articulate sentence if they tried.

I don’t think that applies to Slater or Cronk, who were also incredible players, but are also far more intelligent and articulate.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Finchy wrote: May 14, 2024, 10:15 pm

I think much of that comes down to intelligence. Fittler and Johns were incredible players, but are complete boofheads who couldn’t form an articulate sentence if they tried.

I don’t think that applies to Slater or Cronk, who were also incredible players, but are also far more intelligent and articulate.
Personally, I think that even with intelligence, it's hard to articulate how that split-second decision that great players make is made, given any situation that confronts them. I include Ricky in that cohort. Our most successful coach was a prop from Penrith. Robinson, Bellamy all seem like coaches that didn't have that spark, but learned the hard way. But at this point, I'd try either Slater or Cronk.
BJ
Bradley Clyde

Post by BJ »

I’m on the fence with the extension, I see a lot of negatives, but I also think the young guys coming through have bought into what Ricky is selling.

But I sure as hell hope there some performance measures in the contract that he has to meet over the period.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I want to subscribe to Reptar's pamphlet.

Otherwise, have any of you blunt tools heard of Steve McNamara? There's your alternative.

And the shortest sentence in the bible, "Jesus wept".
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

It used to be that there were only 2 certainties in life: Death and Taxes.

Now there is President for Life Xi in China and

Head Coach at the Raiders for Life Sticky. The name Sticky is apt. He's going no where.

Songs never heard in the Raiders Board Room:

GreenFeva
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by GreenFeva »

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

For arguments sake, for the Ricky fans. What are his KPIs for the next 5 years? Premiership or bust or are you content with making finals more often than not?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Happy to have Ricky on board for many years to come.

Not in a hurry to return to the years of irrelevance that were synonymous with the club every season post-Sheens until Ricky arrived.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

T_R wrote:For life? With a history of premiership success like his, I'm surprised it's that short!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
it’s a miss print, he is signed on until 2129

Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

it’s no coincidence that stick decided to bring through youth at a time when his contract is due for extension on the back of “ these young guys are here to play for stick” and the risk of change might see them look to Bondi Junction or the Shire, Kudos to Stick, he has had Don and the board in his back pocket for 10 years so nothing to see hear really

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I've stumbled into the Greenhouse therapy thread.

No strong opinion from me here. The coach is the one signing these young spine players and they all seem to love playing for him. A young team needs stability. He was always going to be our coach for years.

I'm just glad Stuart has put us back on the junior identification and development pathway. There are many good ones coming through.

Hopefully he can sort out the hooker issue.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I don't actually care that much about this extension as it really makes no difference either way, but what bugs me is that at least five of my mates have sent me screenshots of NRL360 with "Raider for life!" or "Ricky Extends" or whatever the **** it was, and not one of them was doing it to congratulate me.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2024, 8:29 pm We had a better coach in Wayne Bennett, replaced them with a better coach in Tim Sheens, were a powerpoint presentation from Matt Elliott away from hiring a better one in Craig Bellamy

The idea that we cant do better is demonstratably false. And if your best arguement for justifying this is "we cant do better" then i think that says all it needs to say about the coach. A bloke with 10 years on the job should have stronger arguments for being retained than "we could do worse!"
You had to go back to 1988 to find better coaches we signed?

Honestly, who out there is a better coach who is likely to come?

Frankly, I'm over the Matt Elliott, Neil Henry, Dave Furner days.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

gerg wrote: May 15, 2024, 1:41 am For arguments sake, for the Ricky fans. What are his KPIs for the next 5 years? Premiership or bust or are you content with making finals more often than not?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
It has to be both.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BJ
Bradley Clyde

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:I don't actually care that much about this extension as it really makes no difference either way, but what bugs me is that at least five of my mates have sent me screenshots of NRL360 with "Raider for life!" or "Ricky Extends" or whatever the **** it was, and not one of them was doing it to congratulate me.
Your post shocks me. You have 5 mates?
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:43 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:09 pm Dumb question - I think it's the most relevant question when you sack someone - do you have someone better to replace them with? If the answer is no, why change? To follow suit of other cellar dwelling clubs. Its the easiest and laziest argument in the book to blame coaches. It's a simple, logical thought that organisations take when moving people on, you consider the alternatives. If they aren't better, you dont move them on.

Haha, great coaches. Sure, they are very good coaches, all NRL coaches are, but they are sitting at powerhouse clubs with a host of hall of famers. You're comparing apples and oranges to the Raiders. And don't say "he's had 10 years" because you're implying it's an even competition, which quite obviously it is not.
The assumption of the question is that if I, Botman, of theGH.com.au, doesnt have a name, then a name simply does not exist
And im an arrogant SOB but even im not that **** arrogant. Im glad you think so highly of me that if i dont have the answer, then it cant exist but i promise you, your faith is misplaced.

I dont know who the candidates out there are who could be very good NRL HC's. I know Jason Ryles. I know Peter Wallace.I know Justin Holbrook (and yes, yes, yes i know he got a shot and was fired... guess what? our lad was fired twice!). I know Kristian Woolf who's tabbed to take over from Bennett at the phins. I know the walkers are offering themselves up and their unique methods for a free trial. Billy Slater is very impressive! There is a few names and ideas. I dont know if anyone of them will be good, bad or indifferent,

If it were my job to run an NRL football club, i might make it business to know these things, but since running an NRL football team is NOT my job, i am not across this aspect of our game. But i assure you there are people out there who will be hired and be good NRL coaches despite Botman on theGH not know who they are. :lol:

You do not trust our club and it's decision makers to do better. It's not about HIM. It's that despite his lack of demonstrated success, abilities and accomplishments, you think this is the best we can do. You've not put forth a single argument so far about why HE is good. Just a classic "The grass might not be greener on the otherside!" argument... which ignores that it might be greener! But we'll never know.

And that, coming from you, cant be topped in terms of a commentary on this situation.

Here is my challenge... dont tell me this is the right decision because of what someone else might or might be.
Tell me this is the right decision because of what Ricky Stuart is as a coach. Tell me about what he brings to the table, what demonstrated abilities he has to bring this team to where we want it to be. He's got the job. Tell me why he's going to prove me wrong?
Let's do a comparison of the last 10 years vs the previous 10 to identify where the club was and where it is now and see if the powerbrokers have their reasons -

Membership numbers - vastly improved
Crowd numbers - vastly improved
Preliminary final appearances - 0 vs 3
GF appearances - 0 vs 1

There's a few reasons. From.a business point of view, the club is thriving. On the field we've surpassed the achievements of the previous 15 years or so from 1998-2013 we had not been in the final 4 of the NRL competition. Under Ricky's 9 years, so far, we've been there 3 years.

Quite simple when you look at it.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote:
The Nickman wrote:I don't actually care that much about this extension as it really makes no difference either way, but what bugs me is that at least five of my mates have sent me screenshots of NRL360 with "Raider for life!" or "Ricky Extends" or whatever the **** it was, and not one of them was doing it to congratulate me.
Five Lucy alts.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

BJ wrote: May 15, 2024, 8:12 am
He assumes that because they didn’t bash him in school. One of them may or may not be Tim Brasher
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
MJY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by MJY »

Bluesbrother wrote: May 15, 2024, 8:12 am
Botman wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:43 pm

Let's do a comparison of the last 10 years vs the previous 10 to identify where the club was and where it is now and see if the powerbrokers have their reasons -

Membership numbers - vastly improved
Crowd numbers - vastly improved
Preliminary final appearances - 0 vs 3
GF appearances - 0 vs 1

There's a few reasons. From.a business point of view, the club is thriving. On the field we've surpassed the achievements of the previous 15 years or so from 1998-2013 we had not been in the final 4 of the NRL competition. Under Ricky's 9 years, so far, we've been there 3 years.

Quite simple when you look at it.
Agree with above comment - the achievements of the club in the last 10 years on and off the field have been far superior to the previous 15 or more years beforehand - that is very easy to see

People on the hope of throwing a dart blindfolded and hitting a Bellamy or Bennett need to realise they are once in a generation coach. One came through in the 80s and the other early 2000s - the chances of hitting on something like that are less than a 5% - we'd most likely fall into the abyss and live at the bottom of the barrel once more
Brew
Steve Walters

Post by Brew »

And for me it was quite the opposite lol

You have 5 mates?

5 more years of selfies at the season launch

In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Off the field, business wise?
No question. Stuart has done a great job at re-engaging the fan base and getting the Raiders back into the community. I can't fault the work he's done for the club in that respect. 10/10 no notes stuff there.

On the field, surpassing the achievements of the previous 10-15 years is again talking about what others have done or not done and not about him. Is he better than Matt Elliott and co - Yes. Unquestionably yes. But he's delivered the same amount of hardware as those blokes have, which is to say - None. You want to throw a parade down Northbourne, raise the banners in Canberra stadium that reads "Better than Neil Henry!"... I'd like the club to be a little more ambitious than that.

And that's where its disappointing for me (though completely expected), it's not that Stuart is a particularly bad coach. He's not. You could do a lot better but certainly you could do a lot worse too and that's not a risk this club is willing to entertain let alone take.
He's a very flawed coach and those flaws will likely always keep him from ever getting over the hump and delivering a premiership. But this move by the club just indicates to me the lack of ambition within the club. They're not really trying to win premierships. They're just trying to be solid/respectable and if a fluky title run happens to occur, so much the better.

Winning a premiership should be the sole focus and aim of the NRL team, and moves like this indicate to me that's not our focus. We're just happy to be there and not embarrass ourselves.