2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Raiders 13+
2
10%
Raiders 1-12
1
5%
Draw
0
No votes
Sea Eagles 1-12
4
19%
Sea Eagles 13+
14
67%
 
Total votes: 21

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13373
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Billy Walker »

UncleDrew wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:46 am Has anyone thought about Weekes at 9?
Nah - I suspect Ricky is happy with the good job Danny Levi is doing. Was a bit off last week but so was Tarps. All good players have the occasional rough game.
User avatar
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Posts: 4490
Joined: March 16, 2008, 7:15 am
Favourite Player: Big Papa
Location: North Sydney

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:58 am
UncleDrew wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:46 am Has anyone thought about Weekes at 9?
Nah - I suspect Ricky is happy with the good job Danny Levi is doing. Was a bit off last week but so was Tarps. All good players have the occasional rough game.
I think the more appropriate proposition in the case of your boy is all bad players have an occasional good game.

It was surprising how many people were conned off the back of honestly not more than 3 acceptable games from Levi.
Up The Milk
User avatar
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1836
Joined: January 25, 2007, 10:33 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker
Location: Sydney

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by hrundi89 »

Botman wrote: May 1, 2024, 9:27 am
hrundi89 wrote: May 1, 2024, 9:24 am I live on the Northern Beaches.

Was looking forward to the game at Brookie regardless of outcome.

Just found out my son's Under 15s Gold game is at Cherrybrook at the same time.

Ah well...
Any chance you can live stream your sons game so i can get in on this excuse too? :lol:
:roflmao
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Bay53
Steve Walters
Posts: 7576
Joined: March 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Bay53 »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:22 am I feel like the only valid complaint is Danny Levi’s selection. Because of the short turn around, they are likely to only have the one session so I’m assuming that played a part but my god I want him out of the team.

Xavier Savage trained at fullback as recently as this off season and has been quoted on two different occasions saying he wasn’t up to it. We can see him developing as a good winger, the calls for him to suddenly be developed as a fullback are knee jerk reactions imo.

It was either Guler or Hola in and by all reports, Guler has improved in cup so again that’s fine and I was probably Guler’s harshest critic at the beginning of the season.

I wasn’t aware of Schiller’s defensive issues prior to this season but my god they are there. I know Tapine missed the tackle on Hazelton but if Schiller makes the first tackle as he should, the try isn’t scored. I think it was Nikora or Wilton or run past him (no fend - they let him get a good grab) and as the second rower is trying to beat Chevy, Schiller comes back from behind makes the tackle but allows the quick play the ball. This isn’t an isolated incident - it’s not just his reads in defence but his contact and effort is poor.

Adam Cook cannot be selected - he is on a train and trial (however I dare say NRL would allow special dispensation given Jamal injury and Troy’s death) Any call to drop Kaeo is outrageous. I said this after the game, we looked so fatigued against the sharks and the forwards were beat in attack and defence every single set. There is nothing a halfback can do based on that platform.

The club has identified its three key players for the future in Stewart, Strange and Sanders. It’s very difficult to get a backup spine player from another club and get them to move to Canberra to be a backup player. Fans constantly say poor roster management but again, a lot more goes into it. I guarantee if you offered Trai Fuller for example a one year deal last year to be backup fullback, he would have said no - he can continue doing that at Redcliffe.

I had zero issues going into the season with a combo of:

Halfback: Jamal Fogarty/Troy Dargen
Fullback: Jordan Rapana/Chevy Stewart

Unfortunately, our two most important players were injured early in the season. My point is, fans harp on about being excited for the youth and willing to put up with short term pain but majority of you are not.

It’s a marathon not a sprint.
Nailed it.

We have to accept that Rick and the coaching staff are far closer to Chevy and the rest of the team than anyone on here. If all the signs are pointing that Chevy needs a rest for his longer term development, then we need to accept that. Without doubt he has shown effort and character, but I would also argue he has looked a fair bit off the pace.

Hopefully he will do what Strange did last year. In the one first grade game he played he struggled (mind you the team lost 48-2 so it wasn't the 18 year old's fault) but then he starred in NSW cup for the rest of the season. However, I reckon he is crying out for a rest too at the moment but I don't think we will have that luxury.

It is a really tough balance trying to get games into these young blokes but not hampering their development. Rapana and Fogarty going down were probably the two we could least afford to lose from the whole squad.
User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 35698
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by -TW- »


Bay53 wrote:
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:22 am I feel like the only valid complaint is Danny Levi’s selection. Because of the short turn around, they are likely to only have the one session so I’m assuming that played a part but my god I want him out of the team.

Xavier Savage trained at fullback as recently as this off season and has been quoted on two different occasions saying he wasn’t up to it. We can see him developing as a good winger, the calls for him to suddenly be developed as a fullback are knee jerk reactions imo.

It was either Guler or Hola in and by all reports, Guler has improved in cup so again that’s fine and I was probably Guler’s harshest critic at the beginning of the season.

I wasn’t aware of Schiller’s defensive issues prior to this season but my god they are there. I know Tapine missed the tackle on Hazelton but if Schiller makes the first tackle as he should, the try isn’t scored. I think it was Nikora or Wilton or run past him (no fend - they let him get a good grab) and as the second rower is trying to beat Chevy, Schiller comes back from behind makes the tackle but allows the quick play the ball. This isn’t an isolated incident - it’s not just his reads in defence but his contact and effort is poor.

Adam Cook cannot be selected - he is on a train and trial (however I dare say NRL would allow special dispensation given Jamal injury and Troy’s death) Any call to drop Kaeo is outrageous. I said this after the game, we looked so fatigued against the sharks and the forwards were beat in attack and defence every single set. There is nothing a halfback can do based on that platform.

The club has identified its three key players for the future in Stewart, Strange and Sanders. It’s very difficult to get a backup spine player from another club and get them to move to Canberra to be a backup player. Fans constantly say poor roster management but again, a lot more goes into it. I guarantee if you offered Trai Fuller for example a one year deal last year to be backup fullback, he would have said no - he can continue doing that at Redcliffe.

I had zero issues going into the season with a combo of:

Halfback: Jamal Fogarty/Troy Dargen
Fullback: Jordan Rapana/Chevy Stewart

Unfortunately, our two most important players were injured early in the season. My point is, fans harp on about being excited for the youth and willing to put up with short term pain but majority of you are not.

It’s a marathon not a sprint.
Nailed it.

We have to accept that Rick and the coaching staff are far closer to Chevy and the rest of the team than anyone on here. If all the signs are pointing that Chevy needs a rest for his longer term development, then we need to accept that. Without doubt he has shown effort and character, but I would also argue he has looked a fair bit off the pace.

Hopefully he will do what Strange did last year. In the one first grade game he played he struggled (mind you the team lost 48-2 so it wasn't the 18 year old's fault) but then he starred in NSW cup for the rest of the season. However, I reckon he is crying out for a rest too at the moment but I don't think we will have that luxury.

It is a really tough balance trying to get games into these young blokes but not hampering their development. Rapana and Fogarty going down were probably the two we could least afford to lose from the whole squad.
It's a balance between development and remaining competitive

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

samvucago
Peter Jackson
Posts: 276
Joined: November 5, 2014, 6:01 pm
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by samvucago »

Billy Walker wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:58 am
UncleDrew wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:46 am Has anyone thought about Weekes at 9?
Nah - I suspect Ricky is happy with the good job Danny Levi is doing. Was a bit off last week but so was Tarps. All good players have the occasional rough game.
Yeah nah Rocky is stubborn and Levi mustn’t be in the “good” category because he’s had 125 “rough” NRL games.
User avatar
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15291
Joined: January 6, 2005, 8:44 pm
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Canberra Milk »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:22 am Xavier Savage trained at fullback as recently as this off season and has been quoted on two different occasions saying he wasn’t up to it. We can see him developing as a good winger, the calls for him to suddenly be developed as a fullback are knee jerk reactions imo.
Do you really believe what he says publicly? I've never heard of a winger not wanting to play fullback. It's overwhelmingly the opposite. I think far more likely that he was told he's not up to it at #1, Ricky got frustrated at his errors and dumb/lazy plays etc (and importantly, didn't think his attack upside made up for it), so he re-invented himself as a winger
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13373
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2024, 1:59 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:22 am Xavier Savage trained at fullback as recently as this off season and has been quoted on two different occasions saying he wasn’t up to it. We can see him developing as a good winger, the calls for him to suddenly be developed as a fullback are knee jerk reactions imo.
Do you really believe what he says publicly? I've never heard of a winger not wanting to play fullback. It's overwhelmingly the opposite. I think far more likely that he was told he's not up to it at #1, Ricky got frustrated at his errors and dumb/lazy plays etc (and importantly, didn't think his attack upside made up for it), so he re-invented himself as a winger
I’ve been impressed with him this year, but he still has a lazy lapse or two in his game. That 40/20 on the weekend he was super casual about
User avatar
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Posts: 17207
Joined: June 21, 2008, 3:04 pm
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton
Location: Sydney

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by yeh raiders »

hrundi89 wrote: May 1, 2024, 9:24 am I live on the Northern Beaches.

Was looking forward to the game at Brookie regardless of outcome.

Just found out my son's Under 15s Gold game is at Cherrybrook at the same time.

Ah well...
Great part of the world, enjoy Greenway oval ! I spent 20 years growing up playing touch footy there every Sunday morning. Soo many great memories.
User avatar
Azza
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10731
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Azza »

I live on the Northern Beaches, 5 minutes drive from Brookvale. Was not looking forward to the game and watching this bloodbath unfolding. Might still drive up the hill for a bit and see if I can catch any glimpses of Levi's crisp, dart like passes out of dummy half.
User avatar
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15291
Joined: January 6, 2005, 8:44 pm
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Canberra Milk »

Billy Walker wrote: May 1, 2024, 2:37 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2024, 1:59 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:22 am Xavier Savage trained at fullback as recently as this off season and has been quoted on two different occasions saying he wasn’t up to it. We can see him developing as a good winger, the calls for him to suddenly be developed as a fullback are knee jerk reactions imo.
Do you really believe what he says publicly? I've never heard of a winger not wanting to play fullback. It's overwhelmingly the opposite. I think far more likely that he was told he's not up to it at #1, Ricky got frustrated at his errors and dumb/lazy plays etc (and importantly, didn't think his attack upside made up for it), so he re-invented himself as a winger
I’ve been impressed with him this year, but he still has a lazy lapse or two in his game. That 40/20 on the weekend he was super casual about
That 40/20 looked undefendable to me
User avatar
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5988
Joined: March 30, 2008, 9:59 pm
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Finchy »

Bay53 wrote: May 1, 2024, 12:32 pm Rapana and Fogarty going down were probably the two we could least afford to lose from the whole squad
That’s the sad thing though isn’t it? Losing a 35 year old winger playing out of position on the cusp of retirement, and a bog average halfback with a decent long kicking gaming, is all it took for the wheels to completely fall off. The Knights lose Ponga and still win with a debutant at fullback who carved up. The Dolphins lose Hammer and still look ok with a debutant at fullback who carved up. Us? Can’t score a point, can’t stop points.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
User avatar
Rickmando
David Furner
Posts: 3040
Joined: May 22, 2017, 3:41 pm
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Rickmando »

Finchy wrote: May 1, 2024, 3:05 pm
Bay53 wrote: May 1, 2024, 12:32 pm Rapana and Fogarty going down were probably the two we could least afford to lose from the whole squad
That’s the sad thing though isn’t it? Losing a 35 year old winger playing out of position on the cusp of retirement, and a bog average halfback with a decent long kicking gaming, is all it took for the wheels to completely fall off. The Knights lose Ponga and still win with a debutant at fullback who carved up. The Dolphins lose Hammer and still look ok with a debutant at fullback who carved up. Us? Can’t score a point, can’t stop points.
Couldn’t be the system could it Finchy??
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 590
Joined: May 13, 2010, 2:31 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by kona_dream »

If we get a chance who is kicking goals this week? I assumed it was Chevy last week. Unfortunately I never got to find out.
User avatar
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5988
Joined: March 30, 2008, 9:59 pm
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Finchy »

Rickmando wrote: May 1, 2024, 3:20 pm
Finchy wrote: May 1, 2024, 3:05 pm
Bay53 wrote: May 1, 2024, 12:32 pm Rapana and Fogarty going down were probably the two we could least afford to lose from the whole squad
That’s the sad thing though isn’t it? Losing a 35 year old winger playing out of position on the cusp of retirement, and a bog average halfback with a decent long kicking gaming, is all it took for the wheels to completely fall off. The Knights lose Ponga and still win with a debutant at fullback who carved up. The Dolphins lose Hammer and still look ok with a debutant at fullback who carved up. Us? Can’t score a point, can’t stop points.
Couldn’t be the system could it Finchy??
Never! It's the little things. Bounce of the ball. Bad luck. Refs. Not bleeding green or hurting hard in there enough.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 52165
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by The Nickman »

kona_dream wrote: May 1, 2024, 3:29 pm If we get a chance who is kicking goals this week? I assumed it was Chevy last week. Unfortunately I never got to find out.
Danny Levi, hopefully.
Dylan’s Raiders
Alan Tongue
Posts: 613
Joined: April 8, 2018, 5:16 pm
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2024, 1:59 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:22 am Xavier Savage trained at fullback as recently as this off season and has been quoted on two different occasions saying he wasn’t up to it. We can see him developing as a good winger, the calls for him to suddenly be developed as a fullback are knee jerk reactions imo.
Do you really believe what he says publicly? I've never heard of a winger not wanting to play fullback. It's overwhelmingly the opposite. I think far more likely that he was told he's not up to it at #1, Ricky got frustrated at his errors and dumb/lazy plays etc (and importantly, didn't think his attack upside made up for it), so he re-invented himself as a winger
:woot:

Well considering he never played fullback in his life prior to coming to Canberra, was first choice fullback in 2023 prior to injury and was given another chance at fullback for 2024… yes I believe him.

Mate, if you are going to assume players are lying then why even engage in discussion? You will just drive your narrative irrespective of what is coming from the horses mouth.

Also, he absolutely could have saved that 40/20 - looked like he didn’t know it was kicked from inside the 40.
Old School Green
Dean Lance
Posts: 880
Joined: May 9, 2007, 11:20 am

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Old School Green »

Finchy wrote: May 1, 2024, 12:10 am
Old School Green wrote: April 30, 2024, 11:06 pm On another note Levi probably has a blinder this week, wins the game for us and we all look foolish.
Is this another Billy alt account?
Billy? Who is Billy? My name is Guy Incognito
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 145523
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders still in premiership frame: Elliott Whitehead



Canberra’s NRL season looks poised on a knife-edge, but their returning captain insists the Raiders are still in the frame for a premiership.

“We’ve got some brilliant young kids in the club and the future’s bright,” he said. “But at the moment we want to win games to win a premiership this year. Last week wasn’t up to the standards we set, and we’ve got a chance to fix that quickly on Friday. It’s going to take a full team effort to go up to Manly and get the win.”

Read more: https://canberradaily.com.au/raiders-st ... whitehead/

'Confident' Raiders still on track for premiership glory: Whitehead



Elliott Whitehead has backed the Raiders' youthful squad to step up to the challenge that faces them this Friday night in Manly, and beyond, after a "disappointing" string of losses.

"Daly Cherry-Evans got off [a suspension at the judiciary] which is a big in for them and we'll have to be at our best to win. We haven't won there [in Brookvale] since 2021. I know it's always a tough game when we go there, but I'm fully confident we can turn it around and get back to our winning ways."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

For the Raiders, milestone games are too often the ones they'd rather forget: https://the-riotact.com/whats-happening ... mes/765454

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Sea Eagles: viewtopic.php?t=36091

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/05 ... ea-eagles/
Image
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1346
Joined: June 12, 2022, 5:16 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Bluesbrother »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2024, 1:59 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:22 am Xavier Savage trained at fullback as recently as this off season and has been quoted on two different occasions saying he wasn’t up to it. We can see him developing as a good winger, the calls for him to suddenly be developed as a fullback are knee jerk reactions imo.
Do you really believe what he says publicly? I've never heard of a winger not wanting to play fullback. It's overwhelmingly the opposite. I think far more likely that he was told he's not up to it at #1, Ricky got frustrated at his errors and dumb/lazy plays etc (and importantly, didn't think his attack upside made up for it), so he re-invented himself as a winger
After the lazy **** he has dished up time and again why would you ask more of a bloke who clearly isn't switch on?
User avatar
Raider47
Jason Croker
Posts: 4901
Joined: April 15, 2009, 10:38 am
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko
Location: Queanbo

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Raider47 »

Good one, Smell.
User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 34435
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: You have never heard of it.

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by dubby »

If Woolford is the answer, I think we're asking the wrong question.

We need someone better than Levi, Starling and Woolford.

These blokes are NSW Cup level.

Go to market.

Find someone better.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
User avatar
dubby
Don Furner
Posts: 34435
Joined: May 16, 2006, 12:14 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: You have never heard of it.

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by dubby »

Old School Green wrote: May 1, 2024, 4:09 pm
Finchy wrote: May 1, 2024, 12:10 am
Old School Green wrote: April 30, 2024, 11:06 pm On another note Levi probably has a blinder this week, wins the game for us and we all look foolish.
Is this another Billy alt account?
Billy? Who is Billy? My name is Guy Incognito
🤣
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43135
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Botman »

I spoke lot about utility players in the off season as options for good versatile squad fillers who could solve a problem for us in the event of injuries and I got a lot of push back on that from people telling me those players weren’t good enough to be considered

And boy it didn’t take long before those takes aged like milk. Not even round 10 and already those blokes would represent significant upgrades on the players we’re trotting out this week

Hopefully the club learns from this and starts to think about bringing in more versatility in the 24-30 squad members. I would suggest reducing our the middle forwards in our top 30 as a means to do this.
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne
Posts: 117
Joined: May 31, 2021, 7:24 am
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

We need a quality 9, backrower, winger and decent back up 7.
Last edited by Bloody_Burnham on May 1, 2024, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13373
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2024, 2:55 pm
Billy Walker wrote: May 1, 2024, 2:37 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2024, 1:59 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:22 am Xavier Savage trained at fullback as recently as this off season and has been quoted on two different occasions saying he wasn’t up to it. We can see him developing as a good winger, the calls for him to suddenly be developed as a fullback are knee jerk reactions imo.
Do you really believe what he says publicly? I've never heard of a winger not wanting to play fullback. It's overwhelmingly the opposite. I think far more likely that he was told he's not up to it at #1, Ricky got frustrated at his errors and dumb/lazy plays etc (and importantly, didn't think his attack upside made up for it), so he re-invented himself as a winger
I’ve been impressed with him this year, but he still has a lazy lapse or two in his game. That 40/20 on the weekend he was super casual about
That 40/20 looked undefendable to me
Possibly, but his lack of urgency made it look terrible. If he scooted after it and it found touch you would say great kick. As it was you say great kick but could Savage have done more there.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13373
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Billy Walker »

Old School Green wrote: May 1, 2024, 4:09 pm
Finchy wrote: May 1, 2024, 12:10 am
Old School Green wrote: April 30, 2024, 11:06 pm On another note Levi probably has a blinder this week, wins the game for us and we all look foolish.
Is this another Billy alt account?
Billy? Who is Billy? My name is Guy Incognito
I like the cut of your jib Guy!
User avatar
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Posts: 2684
Joined: April 26, 2010, 11:50 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki
Location: Sydney

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Regs Revolution »

Bluesbrother wrote: May 1, 2024, 4:26 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2024, 1:59 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:22 am Xavier Savage trained at fullback as recently as this off season and has been quoted on two different occasions saying he wasn’t up to it. We can see him developing as a good winger, the calls for him to suddenly be developed as a fullback are knee jerk reactions imo.
Do you really believe what he says publicly? I've never heard of a winger not wanting to play fullback. It's overwhelmingly the opposite. I think far more likely that he was told he's not up to it at #1, Ricky got frustrated at his errors and dumb/lazy plays etc (and importantly, didn't think his attack upside made up for it), so he re-invented himself as a winger
After the lazy **** he has dished up time and again why would you ask more of a bloke who clearly isn't switch on?
Huh? He has been our best player outside Timoko. He has some deficiencies in his game sure, but he’s still a kid. He’s holding that spot for sometime with the performances he’s putting in.
User avatar
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Posts: 2684
Joined: April 26, 2010, 11:50 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki
Location: Sydney

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Regs Revolution »

yeh raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 2:40 pm
hrundi89 wrote: May 1, 2024, 9:24 am I live on the Northern Beaches.

Was looking forward to the game at Brookie regardless of outcome.

Just found out my son's Under 15s Gold game is at Cherrybrook at the same time.

Ah well...
Great part of the world, enjoy Greenway oval ! I spent 20 years growing up playing touch footy there every Sunday morning. Soo many great memories.
Lived behind apple tree shopping centre for 15 odd years and spent my whole youth over there. The place has not changed since the 90s :lol: stuck in a time warp! A house that was missing balustrades back then was still missing them today. It’s like the world paused for that suburb.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1346
Joined: June 12, 2022, 5:16 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Bluesbrother »

Regs Revolution wrote: May 1, 2024, 6:11 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: May 1, 2024, 4:26 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2024, 1:59 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: May 1, 2024, 11:22 am Xavier Savage trained at fullback as recently as this off season and has been quoted on two different occasions saying he wasn’t up to it. We can see him developing as a good winger, the calls for him to suddenly be developed as a fullback are knee jerk reactions imo.
Do you really believe what he says publicly? I've never heard of a winger not wanting to play fullback. It's overwhelmingly the opposite. I think far more likely that he was told he's not up to it at #1, Ricky got frustrated at his errors and dumb/lazy plays etc (and importantly, didn't think his attack upside made up for it), so he re-invented himself as a winger
After the lazy **** he has dished up time and again why would you ask more of a bloke who clearly isn't switch on?
Huh? He has been our best player outside Timoko. He has some deficiencies in his game sure, but he’s still a kid. He’s holding that spot for sometime with the performances he’s putting in.
I agree, he is a gun. He isn't a fullback though. Not with his attitude and ability to drop out of a game like he does. He's a winger through and through. He's got the physical toolkit of a fullback but he isn't all there in the head.
User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 32808
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Northern Raider »

Savage was pretty good at fullback in 2022.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
President Clinton
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1169
Joined: November 25, 2021, 11:30 am
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by President Clinton »

Botman wrote: May 1, 2024, 5:03 pm I spoke lot about utility players in the off season as options for good versatile squad fillers who could solve a problem for us in the event of injuries and I got a lot of push back on that from people telling me those players weren’t good enough to be considered

And boy it didn’t take long before those takes aged like milk. Not even round 10 and already those blokes would represent significant upgrades on the players we’re trotting out this week

Hopefully the club learns from this and starts to think about bringing in more versatility in the 24-30 squad members. I would suggest reducing our the middle forwards in our top 30 as a means to do this.
Genuinely interested to know which utility players you were high on.

I thought it was weird we let Schneider and Frawley go and only signed Cook.
User avatar
Rick
Steve Walters
Posts: 7835
Joined: August 11, 2008, 3:56 pm
Favourite Player: Daley
Location: Darwin

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Rick »

The more Bluesbrother bangs on about Savage not being a fullback only makes me think more of Savage as a fullback.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Botman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 43135
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Botman »

President Clinton wrote: May 1, 2024, 7:18 pm
Botman wrote: May 1, 2024, 5:03 pm I spoke lot about utility players in the off season as options for good versatile squad fillers who could solve a problem for us in the event of injuries and I got a lot of push back on that from people telling me those players weren’t good enough to be considered

And boy it didn’t take long before those takes aged like milk. Not even round 10 and already those blokes would represent significant upgrades on the players we’re trotting out this week

Hopefully the club learns from this and starts to think about bringing in more versatility in the 24-30 squad members. I would suggest reducing our the middle forwards in our top 30 as a means to do this.
Genuinely interested to know which utility players you were high on.

I thought it was weird we let Schneider and Frawley go and only signed Cook.
I was mentioning guys like Daine Laurie, Blake Taafe, Tyrone Peachey, Connor Watson, Kurt Mann...
It's not that im particularly high on them as players in terms of these are FG footballers who move the needle for a team. They're not, but having versatility in your squad gives you options. Is Daine Laurie an awesome player? No he's not. He's got a lot of flaws and those flaws have prevented him from becoming a full time FGer. But he is a guy who can come in for a period when injuries hit and give you a spark and he can do at fullback or 5/8th. He'd walk into this team right now and at least provide the club and it's fans some hope of conjuring some points.

A guy like Peachey could plug a hole at centre, 5/8th, back row or #14 as a genuine utility.
It's just more options, more potential answers to a test. Instead we've got 100000 middle forwards and 3 out and out hookers, none of which are particularly good!

But we're were too good for players like that, at least that was what i was told. The Panthers arent, but we are.
I dont think our club correctly values versatility. And everyone had a crack at the Dogs about how many of those guys they recruited but having a couple of guys who have FG experience at multiple different positions is something i think every squad should value having.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1290
Joined: July 18, 2020, 1:59 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Round 9 v Sea Eagles: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: May 1, 2024, 7:54 pm
President Clinton wrote: May 1, 2024, 7:18 pm
Botman wrote: May 1, 2024, 5:03 pm I spoke lot about utility players in the off season as options for good versatile squad fillers who could solve a problem for us in the event of injuries and I got a lot of push back on that from people telling me those players weren’t good enough to be considered

And boy it didn’t take long before those takes aged like milk. Not even round 10 and already those blokes would represent significant upgrades on the players we’re trotting out this week

Hopefully the club learns from this and starts to think about bringing in more versatility in the 24-30 squad members. I would suggest reducing our the middle forwards in our top 30 as a means to do this.
Genuinely interested to know which utility players you were high on.

I thought it was weird we let Schneider and Frawley go and only signed Cook.
I was mentioning guys like Daine Laurie, Blake Taafe, Tyrone Peachey, Connor Watson, Kurt Mann...
It's not that im particularly high on them as players in terms of these are FG footballers who move the needle for a team. They're not, but having versatility in your squad gives you options. Is Daine Laurie an awesome player? No he's not. He's got a lot of flaws and those flaws have prevented him from becoming a full time FGer. But he is a guy who can come in for a period when injuries hit and give you a spark and he can do at fullback or 5/8th. He'd walk into this team right now and at least provide the club and it's fans some hope of conjuring some points.

A guy like Peachey could plug a hole at centre, 5/8th, back row or #14 as a genuine utility.
It's just more options, more potential answers to a test. Instead we've got 100000 middle forwards and 3 out and out hookers, none of which are particularly good!

But we're were too good for players like that, at least that was what i was told. The Panthers arent, but we are.
I dont think our club correctly values versatility. And everyone had a crack at the Dogs about how many of those guys they recruited but having a couple of guys who have FG experience at multiple different positions is something i think every squad should value having.
Very very good post. It’s amazing how we turn up our nose about certain players and essentially these kind of players are useful for rebuilding squads (which we are in the midst of). They are useful for giving young players spells (which will invariably happen) and to cover injuries when you don’t have a spine. They also provide sound depth and flexibility which is important

Look at the Bulldogs this year for example. They are still missing a few middle forwards but the recruitment of Connor Tracey, Blake Taafe and Kurt Mann has been pretty sound. They are not great players or superstars but they have given that squad a whole bunch of options or flexibility that they wouldn’t have had otherwise. Some of those options would be a whole lot better than Danny Levi/Starling at hooker or Hopoate at fullback
Post Reply