Trey Mooney re-signs with the Raiders to end 2027

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by Rick »

I still think while Horse is out and Ata is required to fill in at second row that Mooney should be starting. Would provide a much better start to the game than Guler and I reckon he would relish the opportunity.

Might be a case of Ricky holding the young guy back to allow him to play against tired guys.

Alternatively Ata and Tapine to start and we just risk it with Elliot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by Seiffert82 »

I love having him off the bench at this point of his career.

If you haven't watched it, take a look at the video of the team song after the game. He's in the thick of it, with the rest of the young guys. I simply can't imagine him going anywhere.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

We all saw that. We all chose not to say it for that very reason.

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Seiffert82 wrote: May 4, 2024, 4:25 pm I love having him off the bench at this point of his career.

If you haven't watched it, take a look at the video of the team song after the game. He's in the thick of it, with the rest of the young guys. I simply can't imagine him going anywhere.
That's a man that dominates the dance floor as much as he dominates the opposition pack.
Please re-sign.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

zim wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: May 4, 2024, 4:25 pm I love having him off the bench at this point of his career.

That's a man that dominates the dance floor as much as he dominates the opposition pack.
Please re-sign.
Image I have zero doubt.

Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

At full strength I think we can fit the below in just means we run a heavy bench. I have been pleased with Mariota’s versatility to play 2nd row which allows us to carry another big bopper.

8- Tapine
10- Horse
13- Smithies

15- Papali
16- Mariota
17- Mooney

Perth Raiders
Simon Woolford

Post by Perth Raiders »

Rick wrote: May 4, 2024, 10:17 pm At full strength I think we can fit the below in just means we run a heavy bench. I have been pleased with Mariota’s versatility to play 2nd row which allows us to carry another big bopper.

8- Tapine
10- Horse
13- Smithies

15- Papali
16- Mariota
17- Mooney

At full strength you’ll still need to find a spot for Hosking with Whitehead and Young starting 11/12.
Bring League West.

2010 The GH Premiership- Premiers
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

At full strength Whitehead isn't playing

One good game doesn't make up for 2 years of sub par performances

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

-TW- wrote: May 5, 2024, 1:30 am At full strength Whitehead isn't playing

One good game doesn't make up for 2 years of sub par performances

Whitehead is 34. He's played 399 games including Tests. Ricky needs to manage him as he's gone 2 seasons too long. He cannot play week to week and plays better after a break. Even if Hosking is out for the season, I'd like to see Ata at second row, freeing up a bench spot for Mooney, with Whitehead playing once or twice a month off the bench.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Seiffert82 wrote:I love having him off the bench at this point of his career.

Have you seen the insta footage after Jamal kicked the field goal against the GC? Mooneys like a little kids on the sideline asking Levi if he can run on the field and celebrate, great stuff
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Dylan’s Raiders
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

I too noticed Mooney in both videos as mentioned. My initial thoughts are that we are in a good spot to keep him - I believe he came out this year and said he trusts the club, wants to stay etc.

Him wanting to see where he sits within the stacked forward before resigning is extremely reasonable. Hopefully him getting more minutes and potentially a number 8 jersey becoming available is enough to get it over the line asap.
Perth Raiders
Simon Woolford

Post by Perth Raiders »

Anyone that thinks Ricky isn’t playing Elliott has rocks in their head… not the team I’d play, but he’s in there for this year when fit..
Bring League West.

2010 The GH Premiership- Premiers
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I'm not super confident as a lot of the rest of you. Not that he wouldn't want to stay but they have so many middles that are a similar type already on contract. Given a couple of the losses I'm not sure they will match the money for him over trying to bring in some different types of players. Depends how he plays though I guess, I don't think he would be rushing to sign anything while he is getting more time in first grade and adding to his value.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There’s Hola off contract. Mooney is in the top four props talent wise. The priority of retaining Mooney isn’t in any way a hard decision.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Postman Pat wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:I love having him off the bench at this point of his career.

Have you seen the insta footage after Jamal kicked the field goal against the GC? Mooneys like a little kids on the sideline asking Levi if he can run on the field and celebrate, great stuff
Yeah, that was hilarious. Love seeing that stuff.

Battered Savage
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Battered Savage »

I'd like to see Mooney given the chance to start with Taps.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Papa is 32 in a couple of days. Mooney is perfectly positioned to take his spot in a year or so.

Successful teams have 4 or 5 NRL quality props in the rotation.

Taps, Papa, Hors and Mariota are our core. Mooney's the 5th. Saulo and Guler are the guys in the rotation as someone is almost always injured or on rep duty.

I see a role for all 7, knowing Papa is likely only with us for a year or two more.

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

LFG!!!

MJY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by MJY »

Danaman137 wrote: May 15, 2024, 10:49 am Image
LFG!!!

Great news - fantastic young core coming together for a long period
Dylan’s Raiders
Alan Tongue

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

YES! Honestly, he loves this club so much and this confirms it. It’s all coming together - whether it works or not is borderline irrelevant because they are doing the right thing.

Let’s enjoy the ride!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by Botman »

Extremely happy to see this.
The young core we’ve got has got tremendous potential

Hope the club is able to help them fulfil it
President Clinton
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

We need a hooker and another edge or two and I think this squad might have a window in the next few years.

Hopefully the coach can capitalise.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki

Now this is called great news. And well deserved contract commensurate with his abilities and talent. V happy with this. Let him rip into those Bulldogs.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Great news. Shows the club sees what we see.

This squad is building nicely. Agree with the previous posts about needing a hooker.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki

Mooney's dancing and carry on in the song celebration v Manly must have sealed the deal.

Look forward to seeing him celebrate Raiders' victory songs further.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

I also note the club has continued to demonstrate a very sound strategy to recruitment and retention. There were a fair few of us who thought Trey wasn’t being prioritised but it was clearly in the works.

We’ve retained all the right players (I like Schiller but can handle letting him go) and signed the best crop of youngsters we could hope for.

The glaring problem is the decision to extend Levi and Starling and not chase a better hooking option but perhaps there were none available or there is a plan for this off-season. (Still doesn’t explain why we’re not selecting Woolford.)

I’d love an a-list recruitment but a solution to the 9 job would be enough for me to think this squad is in great shape.
denissnowy
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Excellent news. This bloke is going to be our pack leader moving forward.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wait, I thought he was going to leave because Saulo re-signed. :?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
MJY
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by MJY »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 15, 2024, 11:32 am I also note the club has continued to demonstrate a very sound strategy to recruitment and retention. There were a fair few of us who thought Trey wasn’t being prioritised but it was clearly in the works.

We’ve retained all the right players (I like Schiller but can handle letting him go) and signed the best crop of youngsters we could hope for.

The glaring problem is the decision to extend Levi and Starling and not chase a better hooking option but perhaps there were none available or there is a plan for this off-season. (Still doesn’t explain why we’re not selecting Woolford.)

I’d love an a-list recruitment but a solution to the 9 job would be enough for me to think this squad is in great shape.
I also agree hookers need to be fixed - however I think the club are also banking on youngsters here as well - one of Pattie/Cacciote/Brophy all within 1-2 years of Stewart and Strange
A more serviceable recruit would do us well for 2-3 years would be smart
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Trey Mooney inks big extension with Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

Trey Mooney inks big extension with Raiders

The Raiders re-signing of head coach Ricky Stuart has had an immediate impact, with promising forward Trey Mooney set to re-sign with the Green Machine. It’s understood Mooney has agreed to a multi-year deal that continues Canberra’s retention of their hottest young prospects.

The 22-year-old was off-contract at the end of this season and had interest from rival clubs, including the Knights and Bulldogs.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 717e7d4fdc
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Nice! That’s great news.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

MJY wrote: May 15, 2024, 11:40 am
Ruben Daley wrote: May 15, 2024, 11:32 am I also note the club has continued to demonstrate a very sound strategy to recruitment and retention. There were a fair few of us who thought Trey wasn’t being prioritised but it was clearly in the works.

I also agree hookers need to be fixed - however I think the club are also banking on youngsters here as well - one of Pattie/Cacciote/Brophy all within 1-2 years of Stewart and Strange
A more serviceable recruit would do us well for 2-3 years would be smart
I reckon you’re right on both counts, MJY.

I’m all for bringing this seemingly great batch of hookers through but it feels like it might be longer than 2-3 years before they’re first grade ready. We need a decent hooker ASAP.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Oh boy, great news

hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Any mention of dollars in the article?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

I'M EXCITED!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.