'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by Bluesbrother »

I'd like to see Trey and Ata reach the heights of Paps and Tapine but I can't see it right now. Ata is miles ahead. Trey is 21, both Tapine and Papalii were significantly ahead of him at the same stage. He has a lot of work to do to be a walk up starter in our 17 for mine. I'm personally more excited about the trajectory of Smithies.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Re: 'We definitely 1 million per cent want to keep Trey': Raiders keen for Mooney to stay

Post by Riaan »

Rick wrote: April 16, 2024, 9:11 pm I think Mooney needs to be starting to get the best out of him until he is more comfortable with his position in the side. I also think this would be best for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha, there are a few problems with our team but middles aren’t one of them. This is madness😄
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Riaan wrote: April 16, 2024, 9:35 pm
Rick wrote: April 16, 2024, 9:11 pm I think Mooney needs to be starting to get the best out of him until he is more comfortable with his position in the side. I also think this would be best for the team.

Haha, there are a few problems with our team but middles aren’t one of them. This is madness😄
We got 99 problems but props ain’t one?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Riaan wrote:

Haha, there are a few problems with our team but middles aren’t one of them. This is madnessImage
Madness?

Tapine and Papali need to be split. We lose so much when neither of them are on the ground.

Tapine for me has to start and play the biggest minutes which puts Papali to the bench to bring on some experience and punch when Tapine is not on.

Tapine and Mooney seem to suit well as to Papali and Saulo. Doing this would also have Papali and Tapine overlap given they play different minutes (Tapine seems to play front 25-30 and back 25-30 while Papali is generally used in 20 min stints.

Splitting the experienced guys would give us the best bang for our buck and hopefully help us negate the momentum swing when they are both off.

I see Tapine and Saulo as too similar to start together whereas Tapine and Mooney would complement each other.

I also have Mariota above Mooney but with his versatility and impact I prefer him to be the wildcard in the equation rather than be locked into the rotation at this stage.

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 16, 2024, 9:32 pm I'd like to see Trey and Ata reach the heights of Paps and Tapine but I can't see it right now. Ata is miles ahead. Trey is 21, both Tapine and Papalii were significantly ahead of him at the same stage. He has a lot of work to do to be a walk up starter in our 17 for mine. I'm personally more excited about the trajectory of Smithies.
That’s a very odd comparison if you were around to remember how Tapine and Papa came through.

And has anyone actually compared Mooney to them, or Hass or Tino?
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

NoMan wrote: April 16, 2024, 10:20 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: April 16, 2024, 9:32 pm I'd like to see Trey and Ata reach the heights of Paps and Tapine but I can't see it right now. Ata is miles ahead. Trey is 21, both Tapine and Papalii were significantly ahead of him at the same stage. He has a lot of work to do to be a walk up starter in our 17 for mine. I'm personally more excited about the trajectory of Smithies.
That’s a very odd comparison if you were around to remember how Tapine and Papa came through.

Yeah nobody has. It’s a weird comment for that poster to make.

I think people advocating for Mooney are simply suggesting that he has more potential upside than Guler and Saulo. That is not outrageous
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

At 21 Papa was eating too many big macs and not able to do big minutes.
He certainly wasn't showing the potential he has reached

Correct me if I'm wrong ( I know you all will) Taps at 21 was struggling to fit in to the team in Newcastle and even find his groove in the NRL

I think the best thing that happened for Ata was covid. He was in the bubble, being thr biggest ball boy in history, abd just soaking everything up from Papa
Vaccinated
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Forwards don't hit their peak until their mid to late 20s. That's when papa played his best football and is why taps is playing his best football right now too.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

cat wrote: April 16, 2024, 10:39 pm At 21 Papa was eating too many big macs and not able to do big minutes.
He certainly wasn't showing the potential he has reached

Correct me if I'm wrong ( I know you all will) Taps at 21 was struggling to fit in to the team in Newcastle and even find his groove in the NRL

I think the best thing that happened for Ata was covid. He was in the bubble, being thr biggest ball boy in history, abd just soaking everything up from Papa
Nah, Paps was fit when he started, he was playing on the edge and skinny. His weight and love of food is a more recent thing since his move into the front row in his later years.

Taps was an absolute gun junior at Newcastle and we poached him for big money. It was only after that Brown wouldn’t let him train with the first grade side and we got an early release.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, Taps was a big loss for Newcastle. They were definitely butthurt over that one. An excellent signing for us.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 17, 2024, 5:55 am Yeah, Taps was a big loss for Newcastle. They were definitely butthurt over that one. An excellent signing for us.

They (Knights fans) are still crying over that. :thumbsup
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Bluesbrother wrote:I'd like to see Trey and Ata reach the heights of Paps and Tapine but I can't see it right now. Ata is miles ahead. Trey is 21, both Tapine and Papalii were significantly ahead of him at the same stage. He has a lot of work to do to be a walk up starter in our 17 for mine. I'm personally more excited about the trajectory of Smithies.
Papalii and tapine were both edge back rowers at that stage weren't they?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

VictorTheViking wrote: April 17, 2024, 7:37 am
Bluesbrother wrote:I'd like to see Trey and Ata reach the heights of Paps and Tapine but I can't see it right now. Ata is miles ahead. Trey is 21, both Tapine and Papalii were significantly ahead of him at the same stage. He has a lot of work to do to be a walk up starter in our 17 for mine. I'm personally more excited about the trajectory of Smithies.
Papalii and tapine were both edge back rowers at that stage weren't they?

Yep they were. Papa was preferred in the second row when he came into grade, with Tilse, White, Shillington, Vaughan, Boyd and Nuuasala preferred at prop. It actually wasn't until his 9th year of first grade - 2019 - that he moved full time into the engine room.

Tapine much the same, came to the club in 2016 but was either bench, lock or second row. Wasn't until halfway through the 2021 season that he moved up front.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I remember. They were damaging edge players with great agility and the ability to break tackles. The game is now a lot faster than it was when these guys came through and they have naturally transitioned to the middle. Trey is 21 and he already looks slow.

No one has compared them to those other 2 guys. It was a statement to highlight the hype around Mooney from within this forum. I personally don't think it's warranted and I think Saulo has proven he is higher on the pecking order than Trey at this point.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I certainly think calls for Mooney to start in front of Tapine or Papalii are a bit misguided.

Let’s see if he can adjust to the speed of NRL before we start making changes like that.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

The Nickman wrote: April 17, 2024, 8:57 am I certainly think calls for Mooney to start in front of Tapine or Papalii are a bit misguided.

Let’s see if he can adjust to the speed of NRL before we start making changes like that.
With you on that one. Give him a run of games first and lets see. Mariota is clearly ahead of him at this time as an NRL player.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Mooney is going OK. He definitely needs more NRL minutes to prove himself. He's played with some impact in short bursts.

Not sure why he only played 15 minutes vs the Titans, especially after Hosking went off. Injured?

At the moment he's on the Sam Mataora trajectory. Plenty of talent...

NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

He played 21 which is a bit low for the third middle, although they do usually only get 1 stint. Not sure if he was injured, it didn't seem like it on the park and it didn't get mentioned. They played Levi in the middle for 15 minutes which would've dropped the playing time available. It was GP though so some of that would've been offset.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep, sorry 21 mins. He needs significantly more time before we fully start comparing him with the likes of Mariota, Saulo and Guler.

Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

The Nickman wrote:I certainly think calls for Mooney to start in front of Tapine or Papalii are a bit misguided.

So you would keep with the status quo and have a big drop off for the middle 40 minutes when the experienced guys are off?

18 zip against the sharks and lost.

12 zip against the titans then ended up in golden point

I get that they like playing together but the team goes into survival mode when they are off together.

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Rick wrote: April 17, 2024, 10:14 am
The Nickman wrote:I certainly think calls for Mooney to start in front of Tapine or Papalii are a bit misguided.

So you would keep with the status quo and have a big drop off for the middle 40 minutes when the experienced guys are off?

I get that they like playing together but the team goes into survival mode when they are off together.

I think you've got a point Rick. However, it's not Mooney that should be starting - its Mariota or Saulo as they are better players.

I do think we will see Papa on the bench for certain games much like the Eels are doing with Paulo. This weekend against Brisbane might be an opportunity for that. Their middle is pretty lean without Haas and Flegler.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Bluesbrother wrote: April 17, 2024, 10:19 am

I think you've got a point Rick. However, it's not Mooney that should be starting - its Mariota or Saulo as they are better players.

I do think we will see Papa on the bench for certain games much like the Eels are doing with Paulo. This weekend against Brisbane might be an opportunity for that. Their middle is pretty lean without Haas and Flegler.
Flegler plays for the Dolphins now
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Colk wrote: April 17, 2024, 10:30 am
Bluesbrother wrote: April 17, 2024, 10:19 am

Flegler plays for the Dolphins now
Yes, so he won't be there.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha that was such a weird flex by Colk then.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Hopefully we lock him in, now that Penrith have lost fisher harris next year to the wahs they'll be looking for someone

Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Bluesbrother wrote:

Mariota was my first choice at the start of the year but now he is in the 2nd row rotation he is not an option.

Saulo and Tapine are a similar body shape and also Saulo behind Tapine is most likely to play longer minutes.

Hopefully Horse is back soon as he can either start or provide experience and punch off the bench.

NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

VictorTheViking wrote: April 17, 2024, 12:57 pm Hopefully we lock him in, now that Penrith have lost fisher harris next year to the wahs they'll be looking for someone

:o

That a huge move by the Warriors and a massive loss for the Panthers.

It will be interesting to see if they chase someone but its not their style lately.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Trey has a big choice to make and this is where we see if he has the right people advising him.

The raiders won't get into a bidding war for him, and nor should they.

He can take big dollars at another club with the high risk of blowing it ( Boyd/Titans, Cotric/Bulldogs , Sutton/Bulldogs, Both Lee cousins/multiple clubs etc),
Or take less, stay in the Canberra bubble, be mentored by Papa, Taps etc and make more money in the long run
Vaccinated
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

cat wrote: April 17, 2024, 1:08 pm Trey has a big choice to make and this is where we see if he has the right people advising him.

He can take big dollars at another club with the high risk of blowing it ( Boyd/Titans, Cotric/Bulldogs , Sutton/Bulldogs, Both Lee cousins/multiple clubs etc),
Or take less, stay in the Canberra bubble, be mentored by Papa, Taps etc and make more money in the long run
Leo Thompson has kicked on at the Knights.
Love Trey to re-sign but you can't assume his career won't kick on because he leaves.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 17, 2024, 1:11 pm
cat wrote: April 17, 2024, 1:08 pm Trey has a big choice to make and this is where we see if he has the right people advising him.

Leo Thompson has kicked on at the Knights.
Love Trey to re-sign but you can't assume his career won't kick on because he leaves.
Yeah there's plenty of examples of players that left us and played better footy elsewhere, and some played rep footy. Vaughan, Weyman, Hinchcliffe, Monaghan, Robertson, L.Croker, Dugan, Ferguson, Nicholls, Milford, Barnett, Paulo, Sorensen, Hunt, etc.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

You mean the same Brenko Lee who won a premiership at the Storm and played Origin for Queensland?
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

The Nickman wrote: April 17, 2024, 10:48 am Hahaha that was such a weird flex by Colk then.
Hahaha for no reason too. Random.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Was Mooney told to not run as hard against the titans? He was submitting in a lot of tackles? Saulo out played him comfortably. Massive fan of Saulo’s progression.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Trey Mooney just needs more time in first grade.

I am surprised by how much Pasami Saulo has improved - this year with Ata playing a lot of second row, I think he has been our third best prop all year. He is also only 25 years of age and last year was his first full season so still plenty of upside.

I see Trey as similar - give him a year. Other than Payne Haas, very few 20 year old props hit the ground running.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

I feel like Saulo has either been told (or realised himself) that there are some young guys gunning for his spot. Guler has been dropped, so if he didn't start providing a bit more impact he could suffer the same fate. He's certainly playing with more noticeable intent the last few weeks.