12%
Eels 13+
24%

Total votes: 17

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Round 5 v Eels: Game Day

Post by RedRaider »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 8, 2024, 4:54 pm People worrying too much about defence/handling errors again. A couple of comments on Facebook that Schiller "not first grade quality" as a result. Come on. Are we really that risk averse?? I don't relate to these types. Let's have some fun, let's watch someone who can light up the field a bit
FG footballers have to be able to defend. I don't want us to be like the 2018 Raiders when we were the 2nd best attacking side in the NRL and missed the finals. The competition is usually won by a Top 5 defensive side. That is what we should aim to be as a group. It is where we currently are; equal fifth in points against with the Panthers.

I reckon James Schiller, who is only 22, should remain in the FG side, but work on his defensive play. When Sivo got outside him, it was because he was defending like a center being too far infield. Wingers are often one on one with their opposite numbers. They are on their own so can't be grabbing high imo. Use the shoulder and get in solid contact or go lower and take out the legs as Tom Dearden did on Cobbo a couple of weeks ago. That was an absolute season highlight.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Some really interesting analysis of the Raiders attacking plays in this write up https://rugbyleaguewriters.com/nrl-2024 ... -hovering/

Schiller's involvement in the shift that lead up to the Savage try is important. Looks like he is taking a settler but then spreads the ball through Strange to test the compressed defence. I appreciate the suggestion in this article that the Raiders are a thoughtful and well coached team may trigger some posters on this forum so fair warning.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

RedRaider wrote: April 9, 2024, 6:50 am
FG footballers have to be able to defend. I don't want us to be like the 2018 Raiders when we were the 2nd best attacking side in the NRL and missed the finals. The competition is usually won by a Top 5 defensive side. That is what we should aim to be as a group. It is where we currently are; equal fifth in points against with the Panthers.

I reckon James Schiller, who is only 22, should remain in the FG side, but work on his defensive play. When Sivo got outside him, it was because he was defending like a center being too far infield. Wingers are often one on one with their opposite numbers. They are on their own so can't be grabbing high imo. Use the shoulder and get in solid contact or go lower and take out the legs as Tom Dearden did on Cobbo a couple of weeks ago. That was an absolute season highlight.
Oh absolutely agree, he's got to fix it. But people are out here saying he's "not first grade standard", it's ridiculous, far too soon
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

pickles wrote: April 9, 2024, 11:55 am Some really interesting analysis of the Raiders attacking plays in this write up https://rugbyleaguewriters.com/nrl-2024 ... -hovering/

Schiller's involvement in the shift that lead up to the Savage try is important. Looks like he is taking a settler but then spreads the ball through Strange to test the compressed defence. I appreciate the suggestion in this article that the Raiders are a thoughtful and well coached team may trigger some posters on this forum so fair warning.
Great read. They scouted the eels well and then followed up with the execution.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

zim wrote: April 9, 2024, 1:16 pm
pickles wrote: April 9, 2024, 11:55 am Some really interesting analysis of the Raiders attacking plays in this write up https://rugbyleaguewriters.com/nrl-2024 ... -hovering/

Great read. They scouted the eels well and then followed up with the execution.
I'm sure the same level of analysis has been there all along, the capacity of the team to implement plans at the right time seems to be the difference. Different rhetoric from Ricky this year regarding the team as well, he seems to have very high expectations of them which is good. When he hasn't felt like he has had the players he has said as much so he must feel like he has a quality team on his hands.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 9, 2024, 12:52 pm

Oh absolutely agree, he's got to fix it. But people are out here saying he's "not first grade standard", it's ridiculous, far too soon
Would be fair to say that he made the same defensive error twice in following his centre in when he should have stayed out on his winger? And could this be attributed to having more experience defending in the centres? I think that can easily be fixed with coaching.

With ball handling the contact in the NRL is different, he will adjust to that in time.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

pickles wrote: April 9, 2024, 1:44 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 9, 2024, 12:52 pm

Would be fair to say that he made the same defensive error twice in following his centre in when he should have stayed out on his winger? And could this be attributed to having more experience defending in the centres? I think that can easily be fixed with coaching.

With ball handling the contact in the NRL is different, he will adjust to that in time.
That's been my read on it. He's just naturally drifting in because all his training and pre-season was spent defending at centre. Hopefully he can fix it soon.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: April 8, 2024, 7:09 pm
papabear wrote: Also for the other commentators comparing schiller to savage you are dreaming.. Savage is way more dangerous in attack and imo he is a more effective defender.
Savage has played more than twice as many games. More importantly being a consistent starter in 19 games in a season.

Schiller has had a handful of games over years as a fill in. Let’s give him a bit of time to see how he goes when he’s not just popping up here and there as a fill in and can settle into a role.
My post wasnt so much a shot at schiller then it was praising savage. The players are just not comparable.

Savage is an absolute weapon and our most talented strike weapon... moreso then timoko or kris.

Schiller was born July 2001. Savage April 2002. If anything savage should have played even more games then he has but he pissed on the coaches weetbix last year or something.

Tbh I agree with the commentary here about his glaring defensive weaknesses and potential attacking upside. Although to me he feels more like a centre then a winger (when we already have two gun centres)..

I just dont think hoppa should be in the convo it should be cotric or if he is any good as botman has mentioned Asomua but I havent seen him so I cant comment. I am just not locked in on schiller some others maybe as I think sometimes people can get a bit high on players who come through our grades like harley smith shields....
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Savage had some clear defensive deficiencies when he was playing full back, a lot of which was size related and now that he has bulked up he seems much more solid in contact both sides of the ball. Last year was mainly injuries and confidence rather than talent and Ricky clearly has big wraps on him.

A lot of people ,love Schiller because he kicked to himself to score a try that beat the Storm and it was awesome. He has also burned a few defenders for pace this year which the Raiders haven't seen in a winger since... I don't know, Purtell?

Cotric might be more solid in defence but I think the perspective is that Schiller can improve his defence but Cotric will never get quicker. If someone comes over the top of both of them I don't think anyone would be devastated. It's nice to feel like there are a number of players that could genuinely fill the first grade squad for a change!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

:lol:
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Thanks Dubby, I'm glad someone found that amusing
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

After being at the game on the weekend, decided to watch the replay on kayo, the televised viewing really doesnt show all the support and work off the ball that both savage and schiller was doing all game and that also goes for smithies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Elcaptcroker wrote: April 9, 2024, 3:52 pm After being at the game on the weekend, decided to watch the replay on kayo, the televised viewing really doesnt show all the support and work off the ball that both savage and schiller was doing all game and that also goes for smithies.

The work Smithies has been doing both on and off the ball is a big part of how we are going this season. He has been a fantastic addition to the squad.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I can’t tell if Purtell was our quickest winger as the stopwatch did a full lap of the clock before he finished the 100.
Thomas Roy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Roy »

I'm a bit late i know but wow what a performance :D super impressive,I never thought I'd see a Ricky Stuart coached Raiders team play such football ever!!
Thomas Roy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Roy »

I can't believe how better we are without Jack,Toots and Smelliot. It's amazing how a few new faces have changed our team for the better
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:I can’t tell if Purtell was our quickest winger as the stopwatch did a full lap of the clock before he finished the 100.
I remember him taking an intercept when he went to Penrith against us, took him what felt like 30 seconds to run the length and no raider could catch him

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I only watched the game last night. Nice to see some long range tries and the team go on with it. Plenty to like but Eels were dreadful. That's the worst I've seen them play for quite a few years. They didn't get off the bus. Makes me nervous for this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

pickles wrote:
Elcaptcroker wrote: April 9, 2024, 3:52 pm After being at the game on the weekend, decided to watch the replay on kayo, the televised viewing really doesnt show all the support and work off the ball that both savage and schiller was doing all game and that also goes for smithies.

The work Smithies has been doing both on and off the ball is a big part of how we are going this season. He has been a fantastic addition to the squad.
The effort off the ball from a number of players in attack and defence is noticeable and reminiscent of 2019.

Smithies made 41 tackles with zero misses on the weekend, with 19 carries and always looking for second phase play options. Our edge defence is more mobile and fit without Whitehead. The work our wingers and fullback do in backing up the ball carrier is an improvement on last season.

That's what turns a middle of the road squad into a top 4 contender.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I still can't work out if the "Purtell was fast" thing is a joke or not

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

EJ wrote: April 10, 2024, 10:24 am I still can't work out if the "Purtell was fast" thing is a joke or not

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
His nickname was the Turtle.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Pur-tell the Tur-tell.