2024 NRL Round 4: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 NRL Round 4: Teams and Game Day

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
Finchy wrote: March 28, 2024, 8:32 pm Yeah, I never really rated him as a NRL level half and I don’t think we’ll ever miss him, but he seems like a nice guy and I wish him well and I’m glad to see him doing a job for a red hot Panthers team as a back up to Cleary
He’s just a good back up half
Because he kicks well and tackles well

You can live with that. Means he doesn’t sink you. What he’s done tonight is exactly what you want out of a back up half. There is always a place in NRL squads for a guy like that
How much better of a player is Fogarty over Schneider? I think it's only marginal. The shortcomings in Schneider's game are very similar to Fogartys shortcomings. We don't see much ball playing from Fogarty. Excellent kicking game, particularly so far this year. Decent defence and ... I'm struggling to think of more.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

gerg wrote: March 28, 2024, 9:29 pm
Botman wrote:
Finchy wrote: March 28, 2024, 8:32 pm Yeah, I never really rated him as a NRL level half and I don’t think we’ll ever miss him, but he seems like a nice guy and I wish him well and I’m glad to see him doing a job for a red hot Panthers team as a back up to Cleary

You can live with that. Means he doesn’t sink you. What he’s done tonight is exactly what you want out of a back up half. There is always a place in NRL squads for a guy like that
How much better of a player is Fogarty over Schneider? I think it's only marginal. The shortcomings in Schneider's game are very similar to Fogartys shortcomings. We don't see much ball playing from Fogarty. Excellent kicking game, particularly so far this year. Decent defence and ... I'm struggling to think of more.

Both very limited in ball playing. I actually think Schneider is a better defender, Fog a better kicker, at least in length and height. W'ere probably quibbling over 5-6/10 halfbacks that can pull out 8-9/10 games on occasion.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Schneider is a better defender
I’ll give him that and stylistically they are similar players in that there is little creative ball playing on offer

But I think Fog is a significantly better player right now. He’s also much older and has much more experience.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’ve been Fogarty’s harshest critic but he’s miles ahead of Brad Schneider. I mean come on.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I’m just disappointed this guy was on the books for as long as he was but it took one game for the Panthers to be referred to as Schneider-Man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Fogarty is a better player overall. Their biggest weakness is a lack of creativity. That is what limits them ever getting to an elite level.

I don’t think their defence or kicking is a worry, both solid in that regard.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:I’ve been Fogarty’s harshest critic but he’s miles ahead of Brad Schneider. I mean come on.
I wasn't suggesting that Schneider was a better player. Just throwing the question out there 'how much better' and I think suggesting Fogarty is miles better is a little off the mark. When was his last line break assist, or try assist (not from a kick)?

He is a better player but not by that much. I think one of the only differences is he has been afforded more of an opportunity in the NRL than Schneider. If they'd played the exact same amount of games they almost be identical or maybe even Schneider takes it on points.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:He's not had a lot of joy on the stat sheet but i think Luai has been very good for the panthers tonight
He's an unlikable character and im not sold he's the sort of player that can drag the tigers out of their **** show but i am sold of this... dude can play and people who think he cant are too far in their feelings.
Hahaha I love people who say he’s overrated and nothing without Cleary… whenever Cleary has been out over the last five years, Luai just takes the reins and they don’t miss a beat.

He continually puts rubbish criticism like that to bed.
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

The Nickman wrote:
Botman wrote:He's not had a lot of joy on the stat sheet but i think Luai has been very good for the panthers tonight
He's an unlikable character and im not sold he's the sort of player that can drag the tigers out of their **** show but i am sold of this... dude can play and people who think he cant are too far in their feelings.
Hahaha I love people who say he’s overrated and nothing without Cleary… whenever Cleary has been out over the last five years, Luai just takes the reins and they don’t miss a beat.

He continually puts rubbish criticism like that to bed.
Yeah, think he has won 16 out of 18 when Cleary has been out (according to Phil Gould).

Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Tigers with a spine of;

1-Bula
6-Luai
7- Sezer
9- Koroisau
13- Galvin

Should push a few more sides than they currently do.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Galvin won’t be playing 13.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2024 NRL Round 4: Teams and Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

NRL’s shock admission after Bunker’s inconsistency robs Roosters

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrls- ... 1bcb8e9d73

Annesley being a dunce.
some idiot who should know better wrote: “I talked about the need for the lead runner to continue through the defensive line, and for the play not to be turned back through the gap created by a collision with a defender.

“Neither of these factors were present in last night’s decision (for the Manu no-try).

“In the circumstances, the Bunker does have discretion to consider whether a defender could have prevented the try.
As others have already pointed out. You need to not just consider if that defender can get there, but also the flow on impact to other defenders and attackers.

This just makes the rule more grey, and means more favourable to teams who get the refereeing biases.

It’s garbage. If you want to run a decoy/block play and don’t want to lose your try? Don’t stop in the freaking defensive line!!

So frustrating.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Here we go again.

Annesley making all these contortions over a decision that just further adds confusion and increases to the lack of consistency by decision makers, especially the Bunker.

It certainly wasn’t as clear cut like last week, but JWH ran a long way through the line and then collided with the fullback coming across field. JWH as a decoy needs to be more aware of his surroundings and do a better job trying to avoid getting in the way.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Bulldogs out enthusing Souths, but behind on the scoreboard. Wonder if the bulldogs can keep it up
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

It appears not. Souths on fire now.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Jack Wighton scores about his 30th career try with that exact same play.

Get the ball about 15 metres out and burst through for the try.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Bit confused about how I feel about Jack tbh. Don’t hate him or wish ill will on him the way I did Dugan for example.

But certainly don’t love him either or wish him particularly good fortune in his Bunnies venture.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on March 29, 2024, 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Up The Milk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Geez Connor Tracey has had a diabolical last 5 minutes.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Burton not having a good one.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Pet hate is when a fullback does all the hard work getting into position, makes a good call and sees a ball go dead, picks it up and sprints 30m to the 20m line only for lazy forwards not getting themselves back behind the 20.

As a result the 30m sprint was for nothing, the defence is rested and set and a 7 tackle set is wasted.

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

And of course, he scores a try now. Nice work by the Bulldogs
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Dramatic end to the half. Addo-Carr unlikely to come back in the second half.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

How did Tass not go to the bin

Dogs have fought back into this. Have looked the better team .
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:How did Tass not go to the bin

Mitchell also lucky not to go to the bin.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

reptar wrote: March 29, 2024, 3:56 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote:How did Tass not go to the bin

Mitchell also lucky not to go to the bin.

MRC will need to look at that one.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Ado Carr ruled to be Cat 1 . Wont return
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Yeah, he was knocked out cold for a minute or two. Stupid of those players trying to pick him up.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Teams are back out. This could be a wild second half
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Finchy wrote: March 28, 2024, 9:46 pm
gerg wrote: March 28, 2024, 9:29 pm
Botman wrote:

Both very limited in ball playing. I actually think Schneider is a better defender, Fog a better kicker, at least in length and height. W'ere probably quibbling over 5-6/10 halfbacks that can pull out 8-9/10 games on occasion.
Agreed,inkee.

Schneider defends better, Fogarty kicks better.

Neither will win you a premiership. But they'll contribute according to their strengths
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

The Weak Gutted Dog not having a bad game.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 29, 2024, 3:24 pm Bit confused about how I feel about Jack tbh. Don’t hate him or wish ill will on him the way I did Dugan for example.

But certainly don’t love him either or wish him particularly good fortune in his Bunnies venture.
Same.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Another try for Wighton. Be interesting to see if the Rabbitohs can keep it up for more than 5 minutes.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Another HIA.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Crichton gets a lot of love from the media.

Just then, he and Tracey looked average

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Bulldogs more enthusiastic but they keep letting the Rabbits bust through. Tighten up the defence Doggies!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.