50%
Warriors 13+
17%

Total votes: 12

benda
Brett Mullins

Re: 2024 Round 3 v Warriors: Game Day

Post by benda »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 23, 2024, 10:51 am I was big on Nic Cotric and had him pencilled in a wing spot for 2024 but he needs to go. He is too slow to be a winger. I am not marking him down for the dropped ball but his lack of pace, athleticism and involvement means he's no longer a walk up start to FG. We saw the decline in Josh Mansour. It can be quick.

The sooner we transition this team the better.
Im really hopeful he can come back. I said it in another post, I think its mental for him. He shouldn't lose athleticism at his age unless he isnt training as hard as he could or should be.

The Dogs move screwed him big time IMO. The coach there signed named players and didn't know what to do with them.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

benda wrote: March 23, 2024, 10:51 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 23, 2024, 10:34 am Hosking can poke his nose through the line, better in the air (we at least have an aerial threat), better defender and now better player. He contributes.
Hosking is currently proving to provide more in attack than Young. Im pleased we signed him and hopefully we dont muck him around with the bench. He is a 80m player.. lets judt give him the jersey and move forward.
Young doesn't run good lines - compare him to Jackson Ford last night who EDIT have criticised in the past. Maybe that's due to the service. He's too small to run over players like Ola and Keaon. Ola, for example, did a hatchet job on Luke Keary last week. Young didn't have the best of games last night.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Frustrating game to watch on the back of failed opportunities.

Our attack still has a lot of improvement in it and the fact that we will probably finish the round 3rd/4th in attack is promising.

Out attitude is the best thing going for us this year. And confidence within ourselves. We panicked last night and will be better for the experience.

Levi had a game to forget. Was bad. A few other players let us down. Kris and Horse back next week would be welcomed.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Hosking, a middling player who presently isn't in any rep equation, is showing us what an edge player in the current game should be doing, and what we're missing out on by starting with Whitehead and Young. Both aren't fit for purpose.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:I was big on Nic Cotric and had him pencilled in a wing spot for 2024 but he needs to go. He is too slow to be a winger. I am not marking him down for the dropped ball but his lack of pace, athleticism and involvement means he's no longer a walk up start to FG. We saw the decline in Josh Mansour. It can be quick.

The sooner we transition this team the better.
Gotta say, the video of him on channel nine nine now’s YouTube channel that is currently going round really isn’t doing him any favours. Fog calls him “officially the dumbest player to play for NSW and Australia”, that made me cringe a little, felt like it came from a real place of frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Rickmando wrote: March 23, 2024, 9:07 am Regardless of the names involved, It’s the second time in less than 12 months that we’ve put sentiment/emotion above winning.

Very amateurish from a supposed professional organisation.
That's a simple man's view.

The bigger picture is the club is in a very good spot because of its culture. There are many things that make up that word and keeping players happy is one large component of that.

How many games have we won because of our culture in recent season? I'd suggest it's quite a lot. So as much as you say that Whitehead has been put ahead of winning, there is a lot more to it than that.

If Whitehead and Croker weren't honoured and respected what would that do for the buy in of other members of the squad? The answer is, we don't know. However, I don't think it would be a positive. You should reflect on your own employer and how they treat you for reference to how much you're willing to buy in and give back.

I don't think Whitehead should be starting nor do I think he is in our best 17 but coaching and managing employees in general is a lot more complicated than that.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

afgtnk wrote: March 23, 2024, 11:11 am Hosking, a middling player who presently isn't in any rep equation, is showing us what an edge player in the current game should be doing, and what we're missing out on by starting with Whitehead and Young. Both aren't fit for purpose.
Who would be your two starters? I’m not disagreeing with what you’ve said, more curious?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

benda wrote:
gangrenous wrote: March 23, 2024, 4:53 am
benda wrote: Also the Tapine try: I didn't notice Tapine "knock on". Both him and RTS touched the ball simultaneously and Tapine regained it. Play on..
Given they did it one handed on opposite sides of the ball that’s instantly a knock on. Then it’s just down to which one you believe touched it first and I thought Tapine got there a split second earlier.

If it truly were simultaneous then I don’t know what should happen. Ref feeds a scrum? Image
I think the one hand on the ball is a subjective call. If RTS wasn't involved Tapine would have retained possession regardless. To what degree Tapine had the control of that ball with one hand is questionable. I would have given any benefit of the doubt to the attacking side in this instance.
It’s not subjective though in the rule - he touches it and before you can say he has full control it’s touched a warrior. It sucks but that’s the rule.

I agree that if RTS wasn’t there he takes control and scores. But that’s not what happened.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote:
Botman wrote: March 23, 2024, 9:41 am The EW issue has been around for about 2 years now. Lets not pretend this is a new issue. Posters have been talking about this for a long time now.
He'll have a game here and there where he winds back the time piece and produces good football and in fairness to him it seems to me, at least anecdotally, that those games often come in important games like finals, ala last years Knights final when he was quite good
But for 2 years now, game to game, regaular season... he has not produced NRL level football.

There is the makings of a pretty good team this year in the squad, not a contender but a competitive unit who with injury luck could sneak a finals spot and give someone a frieght... we're going to be talented enough to beat bad teams but if we want to beat good teams, and a build a team that can beat good teams consistently into 2025-26, we're going to have to stop settling for the 3-4 sub par players and replace them with higher ceiling talent

We have enough floor raising talent in the team, what we are lacking is ceiling raisers.
Very true. There is obvious talent in NSW Cup, with hopefully more on the way. The real challenge is how Ricky correctly introduces them to first grade. As much as I’d love to see Stewart cut loose I think holding him back is likely the correct call. If Sanders arrives early how he is handled will also be interesting. In terms of replacing EW. There is no management or easing in required. The risk is losing players who aren’t given the opportunity ahead of EW.
You’re looking at the wrong names in my opinion. Stewart and Sanders I think are 2025 propositions.

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Asomua and Schiller having a crack at the backline (I haven’t seen much of Asomua so I don’t know if he’s ready. But Schiller should be in the mix)
Mariota and Mooney in the forwards
Woolford at hooker

Those are the 2024 calls to make.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

benda wrote:
gangrenous wrote: March 23, 2024, 4:53 am
benda wrote: Also the Tapine try: I didn't notice Tapine "knock on". Both him and RTS touched the ball simultaneously and Tapine regained it. Play on..
Given they did it one handed on opposite sides of the ball that’s instantly a knock on. Then it’s just down to which one you believe touched it first and I thought Tapine got there a split second earlier.

If it truly were simultaneous then I don’t know what should happen. Ref feeds a scrum? Image
I think the one hand on the ball is a subjective call. If RTS wasn't involved Tapine would have retained possession regardless. To what degree Tapine had the control of that ball with one hand is questionable. I would have given any benefit of the doubt to the attacking side in this instance.
I watched the game on my phone so it was hard to tell but it looked simultaneous to me. Then it should be a matter of whether there was any separation from either player to constitute a knock on, and again I didn't think there was. Tapine didn't look overly upset over the decision. It seemed like he wasn't sure himself. One of those genuine 50/50s.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

gangrenous wrote: March 23, 2024, 11:41 am
Billy Walker wrote:
Botman wrote: March 23, 2024, 9:41 am The EW issue has been around for about 2 years now. Lets not pretend this is a new issue. Posters have been talking about this for a long time now.
He'll have a game here and there where he winds back the time piece and produces good football and in fairness to him it seems to me, at least anecdotally, that those games often come in important games like finals, ala last years Knights final when he was quite good
But for 2 years now, game to game, regaular season... he has not produced NRL level football.

There is the makings of a pretty good team this year in the squad, not a contender but a competitive unit who with injury luck could sneak a finals spot and give someone a frieght... we're going to be talented enough to beat bad teams but if we want to beat good teams, and a build a team that can beat good teams consistently into 2025-26, we're going to have to stop settling for the 3-4 sub par players and replace them with higher ceiling talent

We have enough floor raising talent in the team, what we are lacking is ceiling raisers.
Very true. There is obvious talent in NSW Cup, with hopefully more on the way. The real challenge is how Ricky correctly introduces them to first grade. As much as I’d love to see Stewart cut loose I think holding him back is likely the correct call. If Sanders arrives early how he is handled will also be interesting. In terms of replacing EW. There is no management or easing in required. The risk is losing players who aren’t given the opportunity ahead of EW.
You’re looking at the wrong names in my opinion. Stewart and Sanders I think are 2025 propositions.

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Asomua and Schiller having a crack at the backline (I haven’t seen much of Asomua so I don’t know if he’s ready. But Schiller should be in the mix)
Woolford at hooker

Woolford stinks.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Looks like no changes from both games last night

Interesting the media was reporting they expected Jack to be charged for the bunnies..
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 23, 2024, 11:48 am
Billy Walker wrote:

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Woolford at hooker

Woolford stinks.
Agree - Levi is our 9 and he’s doing a very good job speeding and straightening the attack and setting the pace of the defensive line. It was noticeable how we struggled after he went off last night.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: March 23, 2024, 11:50 am Looks like no changes from both games last night

Interesting the media was reporting they expected Jack to be charged for the bunnies..
Yeah he led with a pretty average elbow on one of his carries that resulted in Sam Walker taking no further part in the game. I was surprised he wasn’t put on report or penalised.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: March 23, 2024, 11:50 am Looks like no changes from both games last night

Did I hear you say you were at the game last night Cat?
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: March 23, 2024, 12:25 pm

Yep , we did really really well

It was a very vocal warriors crowd as you can expect which influenced the ref a lot
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: March 23, 2024, 12:30 pm

It was a very vocal warriors crowd as you can expect which influenced the ref a lot
The coverage cut to a couple of Raiders supporters, one with sparkling green lipstick and the other a green face - you and your friend?
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

While there is fantastic competition in our forward pack and some definite selection headaches for Ricky to sort through it isn't our pack that is the reason we aren't a contender this year, it's not out outside backs either. It's our spine.

We have 4 hookers on the books, none of who look like being better than solid, Fog who is probably the only walk up start in our spine but it still mid tier as a 7, Strange who is basically a rookie but with a good upside and Rapana who is 100% effort but also 34. It's easy to talk about the areas of the squad where we have choices but we had enough attacking ball to win that game but we couldn't find points and that is on those 4 players shoulders.

In terms of attacking kicks we need a bit of variety. The goal line bombs have been working ok but the only attempt to grubber was from Strange when we were out of time. We need to be able to kick for repeat sets and wear teams out when we can't crack them in a set.

We need some more creativity from our hooker both in yardage sets and in good ball sets. Our one out runs from forwards got eaten up last night and unless we throw some more ball playing in there we will never crack the better defensive teams. We also need the capacity to shift the ball our of our own end. The Wahs did this very well against us but I think we only tried it twice in the whole game.

I appreciate that our spine is a work in progress and there is potential upside but really that only seems to be in combinations and Strange finding his feet. Unless we get significant progress from our spine we are a bottom half of the 8 team.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Regs Revolution wrote:Frustrating game to watch on the back of failed opportunities.

Our attack still has a lot of improvement in it and the fact that we will probably finish the round 3rd/4th in attack is promising.

Out attitude is the best thing going for us this year. And confidence within ourselves. We panicked last night and will be better for the experience.

Levi had a game to forget. Was bad. A few other players let us down. Kris and Horse back next week would be welcomed.
Yeah, I agree Reg. There was a lot to like about that performance. I thought we were a bit jipped with the Tapine try and I've seen Strange's try given in many other instances (although I think that should be a no try). With a bit of luck we could have been on the other side of the scoresheet.

There were a few players out there well below their best, including Cotric, Papa, Whitehead and Levi. It's had to carry that against arguably one of the top 4 teams in the comp playing at home.

Can't wait to see Kris and Hors back. Not sure what Ricky does with Levi, but his defence in the middle is a real worry.

Anyway, some good signs.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: March 23, 2024, 12:47 pm

The coverage cut to a couple of Raiders supporters, one with sparkling green lipstick and the other a green face - you and your friend?
Not me, too old for sparkling lipstick lol
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: March 23, 2024, 1:06 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 23, 2024, 12:47 pm

Not me, too old for sparkling lipstick lol
Me too :roflmao
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

This place is woke.

This place is woke.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Mixing medications again Barnaby?

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Just checking to see if the fans are happy with that ****, if so good on you.

This place is woke.

This place is woke.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

One too many beers at the Revesby Hotel again, I see.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Levi generally starts tailing off pretty quickly into the season. That looked to have begun last night. Let's all hope our coach isn't on a personal vendetta and selects him for 20 rounds like Kris last season before softly admitting there's someone better for the role.

Whitehead over Hosking is just absolutely mad. Just when we thought we'd generally see the best 17 being picked with Croker retiring we're tied into this arrangement for the remaining 21 rounds.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Botman wrote: March 23, 2024, 10:06 am Father time will come for Papa and it will be sooner than later, and with him being off contract at the end of this year it is certainly something to consider and monitor going forward... we need to be careful how we handle that contract for sure
It's also worth noting how deep we are at middle forward and the young blokes we have coming through that are in a use it or lose it situation.

But based on his play through the first 3 weeks i think that's a very premature post. Nothing about Papalii's football through three weeks has suggested he's going to be anything close to EW by mid year. EW is absolutely not FG standard... Papa's got a LOOOOONG way to fall to get to that level given through three weeks he's still proving himself to be a pretty high quality middle. (though admittedly not his best game last night)
So you think Billy is a premature speculator. ;) In the case of Papa I have to agree. Papa is yet to miss a tackle this year according to NRL.com stats. Guler missed 4 against the Warriors. Papa has 285 games for the Raiders. All being well he will clock up his 300th game for the Raiders later this year. If he plays on next year he could well overtake Jason Crokers record of 318 games for the Raiders. I for one, think that would be a well deserved accolade. Papa will turn 32 later this year. It is not old for a Prop forward with JWH currently 35.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:47 pm
Botman wrote: March 23, 2024, 10:06 am Father time will come for Papa and it will be sooner than later, and with him being off contract at the end of this year it is certainly something to consider and monitor going forward... we need to be careful how we handle that contract for sure
It's also worth noting how deep we are at middle forward and the young blokes we have coming through that are in a use it or lose it situation.

But based on his play through the first 3 weeks i think that's a very premature post. Nothing about Papalii's football through three weeks has suggested he's going to be anything close to EW by mid year. EW is absolutely not FG standard... Papa's got a LOOOOONG way to fall to get to that level given through three weeks he's still proving himself to be a pretty high quality middle. (though admittedly not his best game last night)
So you think Billy is a premature speculator. ;) In the case of Papa I have to agree. Papa is yet to miss a tackle this year according to NRL.com stats. Guler missed 4 against the Warriors. Papa has 285 games for the Raiders. All being well he will clock up his 300th game for the Raiders later this year. If he plays on next year he could well overtake Jason Crokers record of 318 games for the Raiders. I for one, think that would be a well deserved accolade. Papa will turn 32 later this year. It is not old for a Prop forward with JWH currently 35.
Because individual records are what matter right Red? JWH played his 300th last night and he’s still performing at a very high level as well. I’ll say again, I have zero concerns with Papa’s current form just like I’m sure the chooks have no concerns with JWH current form. But the chooks know nothing can last forever and JWH is off for a nice little swan song in an easier comp. I fear we will do what we do and all but tarnish legacy as we satisfy ourselves well beyond any doubt that a player isn’t what he once was. Thank God Ricky isn’t managing boxers is all I can say!!
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Billy Walker wrote:

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Woolford at hooker

Woolford stinks.
Woolfords form in NSW Cup this year has been good and in todays match it was outstanding. All he needs is opportunity. But that comes down to one Coach making the correct decision on team selection. We've seen over the past 2 seasons how much better the FG side goes with Woolf in the 9. He is far better defensively too.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:59 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Woolford at hooker

Woolford stinks.
Woolfords form in NSW Cup this year has been good and in todays match it was outstanding. All he needs is opportunity. But that comes down to one Coach making the correct decision on team selection. We've seen over the past 2 seasons how much better the FG side goes with Woolf in the 9. He is far better defensively too.
Let’s break your post down Red. You say all Woolford needs is opportunity. Then in the same breath you acknowledge he has been given a shot in first grade for the last 2 seasons. Those two statements don’t marry up mate.

Go through the three game day threads and read the number of comments complimenting our attack and backline movements. That’s has everything to do with speed out of dummy half and an attack on the front foot. But you know that Red because I’ve read your analysis on here and you are generally spot on in views. This is just a case of you not liking the player and struggling to move past that.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Confusion is a constant here.

This place is woke.

This place is woke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Off wrote: March 23, 2024, 4:07 pm Confusion is a constant here.

This place is woke.
:roflmao
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Billy Walker wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:58 pm

Because individual records are what matter right Red? JWH played his 300th last night and he’s still performing at a very high level as well. I’ll say again, I have zero concerns with Papa’s current form just like I’m sure the chooks have no concerns with JWH current form. But the chooks know nothing can last forever and JWH is off for a nice little swan song in an easier comp. I fear we will do what we do and all but tarnish legacy as we satisfy ourselves well beyond any doubt that a player isn’t what he once was. Thank God Ricky isn’t managing boxers is all I can say!!
JWH is already 35 and Papa is currently 31. Now, I hope Papa decides to sign up with the Raiders for another couple of years. Only he and the medical staff will know how his body is, but on form at NRL level, he is doing the job and to have zero missed tackles after 3 NRL games playing in the middle is a wonderful outcome. Elliott Whitehead is already 34 and playing on an edge, which requires far more agility than playing in the middle. Papa moved from edge to middle and thrived. I hope to see that continue in coming years and providing he can stay healthy as JWH has, there is no reason he won't continue as a top rating NRL Prop.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Billy Walker wrote: March 23, 2024, 4:06 pm
RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:59 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

This year it’s
Hosking as a full timer
Woolford at hooker

Woolford stinks.
Let’s break your post down Red. You say all Woolford needs is opportunity. Then in the same breath you acknowledge he has been given a shot in first grade for the last 2 seasons. Those two statements don’t marry up mate.

Go through the three game day threads and read the number of comments complimenting our attack and backline movements. That’s has everything to do with speed out of dummy half and an attack on the front foot. But you know that Red because I’ve read your analysis on here and you are generally spot on in views. This is just a case of you not liking the player and struggling to move past that.
Crikey Billy, I didn't think I'd have to put in 'opportunity in 2024' when it is clearly this season we are talking about. Liking a player or not has nothing to do with performance. You were able to say you liked Jarrod Croker but were critical of his performance. I've never met DL to know if I'd personally like him or not, but based on NRL performance, Woolford is better for the team imo.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: March 23, 2024, 4:22 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 23, 2024, 3:58 pm

JWH is already 35 and Papa is currently 31. Now, I hope Papa decides to sign up with the Raiders for another couple of years. Only he and the medical staff will know how his body is, but on form at NRL level, he is doing the job and to have zero missed tackles after 3 NRL games playing in the middle is a wonderful outcome. Elliott Whitehead is already 34 and playing on an edge, which requires far more agility than playing in the middle. Papa moved from edge to middle and thrived. I hope to see that continue in coming years and providing he can stay healthy as JWH has, there is no reason he won't continue as a top rating NRL Prop.
Well I’m saying his best years are in the rear view mirror so I guess we will both just have to watch and see if there is late renaissance in his career. His retirement from rep footy, and his reduced game time minutes are all strategies to extend his career. Those levers have already been pulled so it won’t get any easier for the big guy.