50%
Warriors 13+
17%

Total votes: 12

lightning
Sam Backo

Re: 2024 Round 3 v Warriors: Game Day

Post by lightning »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:06 pm I'm thinking the same about Rapana. Been a great player for us and love his efforts but I think the game is too fast for him as a FB and he's not fast enough as a winger.

We need players that can capitalise on the half breaks
I think he created a few half breaks tonight had no one with him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Love Rapana, enjoying every moment of his final year with us. Raiders legend
But yeah with Chevy, Asomua, Schiller in reggies, all good things must come to an end. And i feel very good about Chevy and Asomua to come into this team in his absence.

And pardon the phrase, i know it's not a fond one around here care of Shillo but im very much enjoying him going out by EMPTYING THE TANK
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:46 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:43 pm Does anyone else think we look a little less soft this year?

We still have our defensive line broken from time to time, but our last line scramble defence kind of reminds me of 2019.

Incredible to think that there are legitimately half a dozen players not playing tonight who should be in the 17.

I have Mooney, Hors, Kris, Ata, Woolford and Schiller/Chevy in there over Guler, Saulo, EW, Hoppa, Levi and probably Cotric.
So to summarise - you think we are looking better this year but suggest we should swap out half the team. Gotcha.
If I had made that exact same post but not mentioned Levi you wouldn’t have touched it haha.

But yeah that is actually pretty much what I am saying.
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The decline of Cotric as a footballer is only matched by the decline of Maguire as a coach.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

When I watched that inside ball to Rapana where he dropped it, I instantly thought Chevy. Still, I doubt Chevy matches Rapa that game. I dont mind them holding him back.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NoMan wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:11 pm When I watched that inside ball to Rapana where he dropped it, I instantly thought Chevy. Still, I doubt Chevy matches Rapa that game. I dont mind them holding him back.
Agreed. I was all aboard the Chevy train to begin with but the trails showed he needs a little more time
Wont be long, Stuart conceded that last week pre game, reckon by mid season he'll be there and im ok with it. Rapa is out here giving every ounce of his being and im really enjoying the final moments of his steller raiders career.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:14 pm
NoMan wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:11 pm When I watched that inside ball to Rapana where he dropped it, I instantly thought Chevy. Still, I doubt Chevy matches Rapa that game. I dont mind them holding him back.
Agreed. I was all aboard the Chevy train to begin with but the trails showed he needs a little more time
Wont be long, Stuart conceded that last week pre game, reckon by mid season he'll be there and im ok with it. Rapa is out here giving every ounce of his being and im really enjoying the final moments of his steller raiders career.
💯
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:47 pm Morgan Smithies needs to play 80. He is the competitor we need, is into everything like a dog with a bone. Absolutely love a everything about Smithies.
I was very impressed with his game tonight. For his style/role it was a break out game. Did lots of dirty clean up work and locked up the middle of the field. Got a goodun there.
denissnowy
Peter Jackson

Post by denissnowy »

lightning wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:01 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:20 pm
denissnowy wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:18 pm And to be clear, neither did Starling.

Or Cotric, Savage, or Hopoate.

Rapa was all effort as always and a solid contributor, but tonight was the first time that I found myself thinking his time is up. Can't push off players as much anymore and just no pace.
I’ve thought Rapa’s time has been close to being up for a long time, but he was very very good tonight. The pace of that first half I didn’t think he had 80 minutes in him but he did really well
I saw rapana busting his a** in that first half. Give him an extension and tell the rest to put as much effort in as he does !
Absolutely he did and he is still in my starting back 3. It was just the first time that I've thought that father time is catching our Rapa
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

denissnowy wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:19 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:47 pm Morgan Smithies needs to play 80. He is the competitor we need, is into everything like a dog with a bone. Absolutely love a everything about Smithies.
I was very impressed with his game tonight. For his style/role it was a break out game. Did lots of dirty clean up work and locked up the middle of the field. Got a goodun there.
Smithies would be know himself if he has 80m in him.. but I think he does.

Whitehead simply cannot keep Hosking on the bench... makes zero sense.

In general im ok with the loss. We are a developing side I feel. Strange to me looks like we have great upside.

I wish our attack at least offers some basic line running.. not middles barging and easy to read shifting. That to me is our biggest gap atm.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

benda wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:23 pm
denissnowy wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:19 pm
Smithies would be know himself if he has 80m in him.. but I think he does.

Whitehead simply cannot keep Hosking on the bench... makes zero sense.

In general im ok with the loss. We are a developing side I feel. Strange to me looks like we have great upside.

I wish our attack at least offers some basic line running.. not middles barging and easy to read shifting. That to me is our biggest gap atm.
2 x sweeping plays to tries to Timoko and Cotric tonight were plays I haven't seen from us for quite some time. The improvement in Fogarty is noteworthy.
denissnowy
Peter Jackson

Post by denissnowy »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:01 pm Surprised to see Savage get so many points in the fan vote. What did he do ahead of Timoko, Rapana, Smithies, Fogarty? Good try saver but other than that was solid.
His first half was ok. The kicks were being put between he and Rapa a lot. Once they switched to predominantly kicking to Cotric he didn't really see the ball until the last 15, when he had some less than memorable moments (granted they were chasing points).

I considered giving him a point for the tackle on AFB alone, as I usually reserve my 1 point for a real effort play that was game changing/defining. A play like that really makes a statement, so perhaps that is why.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im fond of saying sometimes in the POTY a narrative wins
When a young player has been bashed from pillar to post about how he isnt physical and cant defend and he makes two exceptional try savers and one on arguably the hardest bloke to bring down 1 on 1 in the game... he's got points for me in a loss.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:32 pm Im fond of saying sometimes in the POTY a narrative wins
When a young player has been bashed from pillar to post about how he isnt physical and cant defend and he makes two exceptional try savers and one on arguably the hardest bloke to bring down 1 on 1 in the game... he's got points for me in a loss.
That aside his hard carries and the amount of work he looked for. His tidy up and yards made off Rapas fumble on a high ball. If there were any question marks left he is addressing them all. Ironically while he’s doing all the tough stuff I now want to see more of the flash and flair.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

That's fair. AFB is one player I hate coming up against as a fan. I can't imagine playing against him, would be a nightmare. So hard to handle. Was a special play.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah there was a lot to like about his game
Not sure he’ll end up in the points once everyone has had their say, but I’m happy to reward him with my points for his performance
denissnowy
Peter Jackson

Post by denissnowy »

Good to see him lock down a position.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Good post game presser from Stuart too
didnt take the bait offered up... credit where it's due.
You can let the easy ones go through to the keeper.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

denissnowy wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:48 pm Good to see him lock down a position.
Savage is our no 1 winger now

Cotric has really regressed
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I watched delayed and just finished now so haven't read back, but the Tapine try looked a try on every replay to me. Not sure what the consensus is here but I feel that was the wrong decision by the Bunker.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:58 pm Good post game presser from Stuart too
didnt take the bait offered up... credit where it's due.
You can let the easy ones go through to the keeper.
Yeah his very first answer was curt and I thought we were about to be embarrassed but he lifted from there. Sort of ironic that his best presser this year follows a loss :?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: March 22, 2024, 9:04 pm I watched delayed and just finished now so haven't read back, but the Tapine try looked a try on every replay to me. Not sure what the consensus is here but I feel that was the wrong decision by the Bunker.
I had no issues with the Strange no try... it went up a no try, he grounded it with his forearm and im not sold he had control... call on the field standing was IMO correct

Tapine was the wrong call, looked clear to me RTS took possession and was cleanly stripped for a try. Big momentum shift. Stuart did well not to bite about it. Interested to see what Annesley has to say on Monday about it, if anything. But to me that was a bad call
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:33 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:28 pm I think you're off the mark. He made a poor decision - so what? He touches the ball more than any other player on the field. I think that little insight from you shows you wrote him off after that and didn't really see it for what it was. I get it, you don't rate him but he is most definitely our best hooker. He is playing some very good football.

Balls hitting the deck? Let's review the tape on that one please.
Go and watch the tape all you like, if you haven't seen it yet, you wont on replay.
I had these same arguments with people on this site about Buttriss. When we get a real hooker in here you'll see.
I can answer that one, DL pass to grass in the 4th, 29th and 37th minutes. Three times in one half of football is not good. As for our best team try of the evening, it came after DL had been replaced by Starling. Starling to dummy half to Fog to Timoko to Cotric = TRY.

On the game itself, I thought we were unfortunate to have tries to Strange and Taps ruled as 'no try'. But it was a tough hard match and neither side gave up. Guler giving away a penalty gave them field position. Cotric dropping a catch when not under immediate pressure. Those are the things that don't help in a tight match. On to the Sharks next week at Shark park. I look forward to having Kris back at left center and I think HorsPower will be in for Guler. Disappointed we didn't get the 2 competition points but happy we stayed in the contest right down to the wire.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 9:10 pm
Wiki Special wrote: March 22, 2024, 9:04 pm I watched delayed and just finished now so haven't read back, but the Tapine try looked a try on every replay to me. Not sure what the consensus is here but I feel that was the wrong decision by the Bunker.
I had no issues with the Strange no try... it went up a no try, he grounded it with his forearm and im not sold he had control... call on the field standing was IMO correct

Tapine was the wrong call, looked clear to me RTS took possession and was cleanly stripped for a try. Big momentum shift. Stuart did well not to bite about it. Interested to see what Annesley has to say on Monday about it, if anything. But to me that was a bad call
Just interested as obviously wasn't following thread live. I found it baffling. Also agree on Strange call.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Billy Walker wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:10 pm The decline of Cotric as a footballer is only matched by the decline of Maguire as a coach.
Ok here is comes....I rate Hoppa over Cotric
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

I still cant believe, they called it a strip from Young, what a turning point that was
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Crusader wrote: March 22, 2024, 9:24 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:10 pm The decline of Cotric as a footballer is only matched by the decline of Maguire as a coach.
Ok here is comes....I rate Hoppa over Cotric
I rate that wheelie bin you see Rapa slapping as they sing the song after a win over Crabtric.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 22, 2024, 9:00 pm

Correct.

Hoppa is also ahead of him and I’d dare say Schiller and Asomua would be too if given a chance, which they should get next time there’s an injury.

Worryingly, I’m not seeing the usual desperation for a guy in a contract year either.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

denissnowy wrote:Thought Smithies and Guler were excellent tonight.

That penalty not long after the Tapine no try really changed momentum.

If Danny Levi is going to continue to be picked in first grade he should only be allowed to pass. Completely killed sets when he tried to run, especially on the line with 13min to go in the first half on 3rd tackle. Completely ruined that attacking set

Our wings also had shockers tonight.
Are you putting Savage in the same category as Cotric?

Tough call.

Savage is looking incredible out there. Can't wait to see him play outside Kris again.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Frustrating one. I think with a properly selected team we would have had a lead going into that final quarter. As a Raiders fan you do just need to accept that names will often outweigh merit. Been that way since 97.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ruben Daley wrote: March 22, 2024, 9:40 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 22, 2024, 9:00 pm

Correct.

Hoppa is also ahead of him and I’d dare say Schiller and Asomua would be too if given a chance, which they should get next time there’s an injury.

Worryingly, I’m not seeing the usual desperation for a guy in a contract year either.
It’s beyond doubt in my mind he isn’t the answer to any questions associated with our first grade squad. If you accept that position, it troubles me a little that he will take up a spot in NSW Cup and block the development of someone who might answer a few questions for us.
denissnowy
Peter Jackson

Post by denissnowy »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 22, 2024, 9:47 pm
denissnowy wrote:Thought Smithies and Guler were excellent tonight.

That penalty not long after the Tapine no try really changed momentum.

If Danny Levi is going to continue to be picked in first grade he should only be allowed to pass. Completely killed sets when he tried to run, especially on the line with 13min to go in the first half on 3rd tackle. Completely ruined that attacking set

Our wings also had shockers tonight.
Are you putting Savage in the same category as Cotric?

Tough call.

Savage is looking incredible out there. Can't wait to see him play outside Kris again.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Yes, on reflection (which you'll see in subsequent posts) I think his game was fine. Outstanding tackle.on AFB obviously and I think that comment was clouded by some errors when chasing the game.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Boys club

Post by UncleDrew »

It’s getting beyond a joke that a team who started 2-0 can have so many changes made to it once Ricky’s mates were fit. I don’t think anyone would have Guler in their 17 next week besides Ricky and Whitehead starting. These automatic selections of his ‘mates’ is going to be our downfall this year and sets a bad precedent for the guys killing it in cup and are actually worthy of a first grade spot.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

A disappointing loss, but you can see unlike last year the team is building towards something and actually heading in the right direction. Once we address a few key things such as Whitehead, the right combos in the backs and the hooker, we’ll be doing well.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:

I think they’re both the right call.

I think sent up as a try Strange’s would have been ruled a try. But I fricken hate that interpretation of no separation. I liked when the rule was about control, and Strange didn’t have control.

Tapine try I think in competing for the ball Taps gets first hand to it so correct it’s a knock on. A bit harsh/unlucky, but it is what it is.