Total votes: 12

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2024 Round 3 v Warriors: Game Day

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:08 pm
bonehead wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:04 pm
denissnowy wrote:Thought Smithies and Guler were excellent tonight.
8m
That penalty not long after the Tapine no try really changed momentum.

If Danny Levi is going to continue to be picked in first grade he should only be allowed to pass. Completely killed sets when he tried to run, especially on the line with 13min to go in the first half on 3rd tackle. Completely ruined that attacking set

Our wings also had shockers tonight.
our hooker is our weak point, has been since Hodgo fell off.
Levi passing all over the place again, over head high continuously, running was poor, choices were poor.
Starling comes on and all control is lost.

We should be having a crack at J Brailey for a mid season, absolutely must solve our 9 woes

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Unfathomable that Levi is being praised... how low are we setting the bar? He was straight up garbage tonight. Exactly the sort of footy that sent him packing to the ESL. Im not engaging with these people, they are watching a different game to me.
Our attack is as good as it has been in 3-4 seasons. He is playing a part in that. What are you seeing?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:12 pm
Bloody_Burnham wrote: March 22, 2024, 6:59 pm Kris, Hors and Mariota back next week for Cotric, Guler and Saulo. Tough loss but the warriors are a quality side. The game changed after the Tapine no try.
Saulo does very little wrong and looks to be improving. I think he will stay.
Saulo was good. Guler was very good
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

And to be clear, neither did Starling.

Or Cotric, Savage, or Hopoate.

Rapa was all effort as always and a solid contributor, but tonight was the first time that I found myself thinking his time is up. Can't push off players as much anymore and just no pace.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

denissnowy wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:18 pm And to be clear, neither did Starling.

Rapa was all effort as always and a solid contributor, but tonight was the first time that I found myself thinking his time is up. Can't push off players as much anymore and just no pace.
I’ve thought Rapa’s time has been close to being up for a long time, but he was very very good tonight. The pace of that first half I didn’t think he had 80 minutes in him but he did really well
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Nothing wrong with that performance thought ground was slippery, refreee disallowing x 2 raiders tries, bunker disappointing...which were more than 50_50 calls, much talked about decided the match, didn't think warriros weren't anything special..our momentum was drained along with our energy..with big warriors crowd getting behind their team, had the momentum at the death. We started panicking with raps trying to do everything, think Schiller in for Hoppa and with Kris back in the team will be better need more options in attack. Fogarty needs step it up , and bring his speedy players onto go ball, savage and strange getting more involved.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

Cotric, Hoppa and EW are just not up to first grade.

Hoppa and Cotric mistakes tonight cost us, and a token stint for EW to then have him play in the middle the last ten? We would have been far better with a Mooney off the bench.

Next week please

Hors in for EW, where Hosking plays at second row.

Kris in for Hoppa

And please please please Schiller in for Cotric. Dude is killing it in cup and can’t get a look in. Schiller is an athlete.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:15 pm
8m

If Danny Levi is going to continue to be picked in first grade he should only be allowed to pass. Completely killed sets when he tried to run, especially on the line with 13min to go in the first half on 3rd tackle. Completely ruined that attacking set

Levi passing all over the place again, over head high continuously, running was poor, choices were poor.

We should be having a crack at J Brailey for a mid season, absolutely must solve our 9 woes

Unfathomable that Levi is being praised... how low are we setting the bar? He was straight up garbage tonight. Exactly the sort of footy that sent him packing to the ESL. Im not engaging with these people, they are watching a different game to me.
Our attack is as good as it has been in 3-4 seasons. He is playing a part in that. What are you seeing?
We scored 10 points tonight mate :lol:
Not writing home to Mum and Dad about our scintilating attack

Is he playing a part in it? No, not really'
His best contributions are when he simply collects the ball and passes, aside from one barge over in the first game that work his running game has been abysmal. He took a play today on tackle 3 when we were set for a shot... right into markers, never had a prayer... next tackle, because our hooker is playing the ball, Rapana is at hooker, backline still set for the shot, tackle 4... ball hits the deck... timing off, play surrendered... now it's 5th and last. Entire set put off because he made poor decision. That's just one example
Every week there is balls hitting the deck for absolutely no reason from him.

Defensively he was very poor again, as he has been in the two previous games. His work-rated lifted today but he played very poorly.
Starling mind you was not any better, and whilst i think Woolford would be better, he's not sure thing either. If we can get Sanders squared away, with Strange a work in progress and a good one, and Chevy coming... Hooker is #1 with a bullet for the biggest need for our team going forward

And that's as much as im willing to engage in this. There can be no meeting of the minds, no discourse i can engage in with people who actually watched that game and thought Levi played well. And ill leave it there to stay respectful
Last edited by Botman on March 22, 2024, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

A few signs that we have a young half emerging. Strange very quiet with the kicks tonight. As he starts to develop our points of attack with dramatically increase. Add Chevy to that mix and were going to be a very hard team to defend. Warriors were very desperate tonight and we desperately missed Kris but I am very excited by what I'm seeing.
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Proud of the effort tonight, if they play like they have played in the first 3 rounds all year then we are on for a lot of excitement.
Whitehead is a waste
Horse, kris and ata in next week for cotric, whitehead, guler/saulo
Tapine no try was the turning point. 16-6 - 10-12 5 minutes later.
Cotric had a poor game
Special mention to savage with his cover defense on AFB. Great stuff that !! Winger on prop
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I thought Hudson really got monstered tonight. The bigger Warrior pack really manhandled him. He’s too small for the style of game he tried to play tonight.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:22 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:15 pm
8m

We scored 10 points tonight mate :lol:
Not writing home to Mum and Dad about our scintilating attack

Is he playing a part in it? No, not really'
His best contributions are when he simply collects the ball and passes, aside from one barge over in the first game that work his running game has been abysmal. He took a play today on tackle 3 when we were set for a shot... right into markers, never had a prayer... next tackle, because our hooker is playing the ball, Rapana is at hooker, backline still set for the shot, tackle 4... ball hits the deck... timing off, play surrendered... now it's 5th and last. Entire set put off because he made poor decision. That's just one example
Every week there is balls hitting the deck for absolutely no reason from him.

Defensively he was very poor again, as he has been in the two previous games. His work-rated lifted today but he played very poorly.
Starling mind you was not any better, and whilst i think Woolford would be better, he's not sure thing either. If we can get Sanders squared away, with Strange a work in progress and a good one, and Chevy coming... Hooker is #1 with a bullet for the biggest need for our team going forward

And that's as much as im willing to engage in this. There can be no meeting of the minds, no discourse i can engage in with people who actually watched that game and thought Levi played well. And ill leave it there to stay respectful
I think you're off the mark. He made a poor decision - so what? He touches the ball more than any other player on the field. I think that little insight from you shows you wrote him off after that and didn't really see it for what it was. I get it, you don't rate him but he is most definitely our best hooker. He is playing some very good football.

Balls hitting the deck? Let's review the tape on that one please.
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

Excited by Levi BluesBrother? 😂😂😂

The problem I see is Starling or Woolford aren’t really up to it either, and you are better off trying to use Starling the way he currently is I guess…? Maybe a back on the bench is a better option.

Then there is Trev who we all hope kicks in, but he seems… again I don’t know brittle? He at least needs some time to build back up again in cup.
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

Another thing with Levi is why the **** is he lining up to take a hit up third play of the second half? And why the **** is he the one opting to go for a run rather than pass to Fogarty for a two point attempt at half time?

If we have to have Levi for the lack of other options then I can live with it. What I can’t accept is his ad-lib decisions that are flat out bad. His role should be limited to receiving the play the ball, and passing left or right. That is all.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:28 pm I think you're off the mark. He made a poor decision - so what? He touches the ball more than any other player on the field. I think that little insight from you shows you wrote him off after that and didn't really see it for what it was. I get it, you don't rate him but he is most definitely our best hooker. He is playing some very good football.

Balls hitting the deck? Let's review the tape on that one please.
Go and watch the tape all you like, if you haven't seen it yet, you wont on replay.
I had these same arguments with people on this site about Buttriss. When we get a real hooker in here you'll see.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Problem is Starling was worse than Levi. His two passes from the scrum to Savage late in the game were absolute floaters.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

CrabLord wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:29 pm Excited by Levi BluesBrother? 😂😂😂

The problem I see is Starling or Woolford aren’t really up to it either, and you are better off trying to use Starling the way he currently is I guess…? Maybe a back on the bench is a better option.

Then there is Trev who we all hope kicks in, but he seems… again I don’t know brittle? He at least needs some time to build back up again in cup.
Crabby, I didn't use excited and Levi in the same sentence. Settle, son. I'm excited by Strange, Chevy emerging and Smithies and Hosking, the continued rise of Timoko and the reinstatement of Kris and Savage in thier positions. Along with our defence, there is a lot to like.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:34 pm Problem is Starling was worse than Levi. His two passes from the scrum to Savage late in the game were absolute floaters.
Agreed. Starling isnt a NRL FG either
Our hooker stocks are dire. I'd be really interested in sniffing around the mid season transfer market to see who might be available.
I'd be a 5th hooker in the sqaud which is INSANE haha

In the meantime i'd like to see Levi/Woolford splitting time and see what it looks like.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Ome thing is certain - we're a lot closer to a premiership than Souths. Jackie messed up - enjoy losing in Sydney where media actually cares about your performances.
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

CrabLord wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:32 pm Another thing with Levi is why the **** is he lining up to take a hit up third play of the second half? And why the **** is he the one opting to go for a run rather than pass to Fogarty for a two point attempt at half time?

If we have to have Levi for the lack of other options then I can live with it. What I can’t accept is his ad-lib decisions that are flat out bad. His role should be limited to receiving the play the ball, and passing left or right. That is all.
Literally needs to be told that he is only allowed to pass and tackle.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Does anyone else think we look a little less soft this year?

We still have our defensive line broken from time to time, but our last line scramble defence kind of reminds me of 2019.

Incredible to think that there are legitimately half a dozen players not playing tonight who should be in the 17.

I have Mooney, Hors, Kris, Ata, Woolford and Schiller/Chevy in there over Guler, Saulo, EW, Hoppa, Levi and probably Cotric.
Up The Milk
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:43 pm Does anyone else think we look a little less soft this year?

We still have our defensive line broken from time to time, but our last line scramble defence kind of reminds me of 2019.

Incredible to think that there are legitimately half a dozen players not playing tonight who should be in the 17.

I have Mooney, Hors, Kris, Ata, Woolford and Schiller/Chevy in there over Guler, Saulo, EW, Hoppa, Levi and probably Cotric.
Agree with the 2019 bit. Savage on AFB was quite shocking (in a good way) and typified the mindset.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:43 pm Does anyone else think we look a little less soft this year?

Defence over all has been improved, some players letting us down and Hosking was one of them tonight, had a bit of a mare
But over all it's definitely improved, even against a good warriors team we held them to 18

We've got a nice foundation to build on, attack is going to be hit and miss with a caretaker fullback in Rapana and a rookie LH in Strange
Ups and downs are to be expected and the Wahs are a good team so im not in panic stations over the loss but certainly this 17 can and should be stronger than it currently is.

we're not a winning team now, and i doubt stuart will make a ton of changes but Kris, Hors should certainly come back into the team and that alone will give us two more really high calibre football players.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

So to summarise - you think we are looking better this year but suggest we should swap out half the team. Gotcha.
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I’m happy enough with that. We showed some of the most structured attack since about 2016. We were typically boneheaded at the end but showed enough good signs that rounds 1 and 2 were no flukes. Another bright spot is that surely Schiller is now our first drop outside back
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Morgan Smithies needs to play 80. He is the competitor we need, is into everything like a dog with a bone. Absolutely love a everything about Smithies.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:36 pm
BJ wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:34 pm Problem is Starling was worse than Levi. His two passes from the scrum to Savage late in the game were absolute floaters.
Agreed. Starling isnt a NRL FG either
Our hooker stocks are dire. I'd be really interested in sniffing around the mid season transfer market to see who might be available.
I'd be a 5th hooker in the sqaud which is INSANE haha

In the meantime i'd like to see Levi/Woolford splitting time and see what it looks like.
I think Starling has been decent, or at least hasn't done anything wrong. The problem is his 30 minutes is so arbitrary that it negates anything he does well.

I have said since Jack was leaving that signing an 80 minute hooker is an instant upgrade for the squad and solves a lot of problems. They just need to get it done.
Last edited by NoMan on March 22, 2024, 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:47 pm Morgan Smithies needs to play 80. He is the competitor we need, is into everything like a dog with a bone. Absolutely love a everything about Smithies.
Agreed, he is the biggest change from last year if you wanted to pin it on a single player.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NoMan wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:48 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:47 pm Morgan Smithies needs to play 80. He is the competitor we need, is into everything like a dog with a bone. Absolutely love a everything about Smithies.
Agreed, he is the biggest change from last year if you wanted to pin it on a single player.
Indeed
Whitehead minutes for Smithies was a downgrade
Whitehead minutes for Hosking was a downgrade

If his name is Mitch Hockenson and not Elliott Whitehead is he wouldnt be playing FG. Stuart's got himself quite a conundrum
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Well I'm 0-4 in person now sorry guys :doubt: But the wife got into it more than me for her first game and now wants to go to Canberra to see a game, so it wasn't a total loss :thumbsup
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:53 pm
NoMan wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:48 pm
Indeed
Whitehead minutes for Smithies was a downgrade
Whitehead minutes for Hosking was a downgrade

If his name is Mitch Hockenson and not Elliott Whitehead is he wouldnt be playing FG. Stuart's got himself quite a conundrum
Agreed. Whitehead on the bench to cover - if absolutely necessary. He can do a job and is our 3rd strong back rower and should be on the bench rather than dropped all together IMO.
lightning
Sam Backo

Post by lightning »

Billy Walker wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:20 pm
denissnowy wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:18 pm And to be clear, neither did Starling.

I’ve thought Rapa’s time has been close to being up for a long time, but he was very very good tonight. The pace of that first half I didn’t think he had 80 minutes in him but he did really well
I saw rapana busting his a** in that first half. Give him an extension and tell the rest to put as much effort in as he does !
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Surprised to see Savage get so many points in the fan vote. What did he do ahead of Timoko, Rapana, Smithies, Fogarty? Good try saver but other than that was solid.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

lightning wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:01 pm

I saw rapana busting his a** in that first half. Give him an extension and tell the rest to put as much effort in as he does !
He was among the best on the field. However, I do think this year is enough for Jordan.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:03 pm
lightning wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:01 pm

He was among the best on the field. However, I do think this year is enough for Jordan.
Bad news for you Blues - your analysis and views are far too sensible for you to fit in on this forum.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'm thinking the same about Rapana. Been a great player for us and love his efforts but I think the game is too fast for him as a FB and he's not fast enough as a winger.

We need players that can capitalise on the half breaks