Warriors 13+
37%

Total votes: 27

Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2024 Rd 3 v Warriors: Teams and Previews

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

I don’t think Elliott Whitehead comes back in unless necessary - I genuinely assumed it was “calf injury” if you get me
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

Agreed on Whitehead.

Would be extremely disappointed if Ata dropped out for Horse over Guler or Saulo.

He played right edge due to the reshuffles and still clocked over 100+ metres when he only came on in the second half. Much more than the other 2 (who played longer minutes).

With Taps, Paps and Horse, you want impact. Ata provides that, and is more versatile.

I know Stick said he’s unlikely, but am I right that given it wasn’t cat 1, there’s still a chance Kris plays? Short-ish turnaround and over in NZ doesn’t help.

If so, minimal changes. Horse for Guler/Saulo, then Hoppa to centre and Cotric back in like round 1.

I know Schiller is doing well in cup, but so is Mooney and he’s not getting a look in (unfortunately).

Warriors look good despite losing twice, and are due. Will be a big test.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I’ll be happy if we are just competitive in this game and give the Warriors a real run for their money
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-PJ- wrote:One thing going our way is that this isn’t at Mt Smart.
What's the over/unders on pitch invaders? I think 6.5 is about right.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Green Machine 2011 wrote: March 17, 2024, 11:29 am Agreed on Whitehead.

Would be extremely disappointed if Ata dropped out for Horse over Guler or Saulo.

He played right edge due to the reshuffles and still clocked over 100+ metres when he only came on in the second half. Much more than the other 2 (who played longer minutes).

With Taps, Paps and Horse, you want impact. Ata provides that, and is more versatile.

I know Stick said he’s unlikely, but am I right that given it wasn’t cat 1, there’s still a chance Kris plays? Short-ish turnaround and over in NZ doesn’t help.

If so, minimal changes. Horse for Guler/Saulo, then Hoppa to centre and Cotric back in like round 1.

I know Schiller is doing well in cup, but so is Mooney and he’s not getting a look in (unfortunately).

Good post. Mariota’s 30 odd minutes on the edge was pretty awesome given it’s not his normal role.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

zim wrote: March 17, 2024, 9:57 am
Rick wrote: March 17, 2024, 9:54 am
zim wrote:I saw it was a home game and just assumed Mt Smart. I'll take any advantage we can get Image
I’m not sure a sold out stadium in Christchurch is going to be any easier.
We've never lost a game there 😉
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/team ... enues.html
Green by 30.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Raidernation wrote: March 17, 2024, 10:40 am I'd assume EW would make his way back through NSW cup. Hors coming back would mean Mariota drops back to NSW cup.

I don't think anyone has played badly but between saulo, guler and Mariota over the last 2 games only, guler and saulo have outperformed Mariota.

Im finding it hard to find a spot for Elliot either on the bench or in the starting line up and he may not play much this year unless our second rowers get injured.
No chance. Mariota played for limited minutes and whacked out 106 metres from 9 runs.

Mariota is ranked 1 in my eyes in the front row forwards after the obvious Paps, Taps and Horse.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

The thing is that props regularly stand out when shifted to the edge because they are bigger bodies running at backrowers and halves.

What was impressive was his defence out there, which isn’t always the case with props out wide that lack the lateral mobility that Ata has.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'It pisses me off': Canberra Raiders fullback Jordan Rapana fires back at 'milking' accusations

Jordan Rapana has responded to accusations of being "dramatic" and "milking" the impact of a high tackle by Tigers utility and former Raider Aidan Sezer in the Green Machine's 32-12 victory over Wests on Saturday afternoon. "It wasn't as dramatic as Jordan Rapana had made it," Corey Parker said on Fox Sports.

"I'll throw my forearm at their head and see how they feel," he said. "I've **** have had my fair share of head knocks. But whoever is saying that, it **** pisses me off, because there's no way I'm doing that especially not against a former teammate of mine. They can go get ****."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Raps not to happy.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, he milked a HIA to leave us without our first choice centre and fullback, just for the penalty.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And then Aidan Sezer got charged by the MRC for nothing.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

For this week at least, I think there is a chance we start with Hosking in the centres. EW could come back in to take Kris' spot.

Saulo or Emre will make way for Hors. But isn't Hors due back the following week anyway?
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Bluesbrother wrote: March 17, 2024, 5:02 pm

For this week at least, I think there is a chance we start with Hosking in the centres. EW could come back in to take Kris' spot.

Saulo or Emre will make way for Hors. But isn't Hors due back the following week anyway?
Please no! Against Berry? I am not a fan of putting in 2nd rowers into the centre position whatsoever. Unless there is an injury mid game.

Schiller for me has to come in. Or he will shift Hoppa back there and Cotric comes back.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:And then Aidan Sezer got charged by the MRC for nothing.
It's ridiculous.

What's even more ridiculous is a team being a player short due to a HIA caused by foul play.

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Seiffert82 wrote: March 17, 2024, 5:41 pm
It's ridiculous.

What's even more ridiculous is a team being a player short due to a HIA caused by foul play.

It was a slap to the neck. Fine Sezer. Move on. Nothing in it.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

There was contact with the underside of his jaw.
Fair penalty considering how the games are now ruled.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 17, 2024, 5:26 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 17, 2024, 5:02 pm

Please no! Against Berry? I am not a fan of putting in 2nd rowers into the centre position whatsoever. Unless there is an injury mid game.

Schiller for me has to come in. Or he will shift Hoppa back there and Cotric comes back.
I'd be pretty confident that Hosking would defend anyone. The guy has been outstanding in defence.

EW presents a conundrum. He deserves the chance to prove he is in our best 17 but it's going to be tough for him. Hosking as a bench player is criminal the way he is playing.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

These are exactly the kind of situations the club were always going to create for themselves by offering these unnecessarily bloated contracts to the likes of Whitehead and Croker.

The waste of cash is less important - as plenty have pointed out, the money has to get spent somewhere. And I’ll never begrudge what these guys get paid for putting their bodies on the line. But it was always going to be the length of them that would get us in to trouble. Instead of the club having a tough/honest conversation up front with the player around their age and declining output, they’ve kicked the can (too far) down the road to where these players are now obviously holding up the development of others, and reducing our chances of winning football games going forward.

It’s a genuine conundrum for Rick (again, of his own making) and I’m looking forward to seeing which side he comes down on. We know he can be loyal to a fault, but he’s also told us he “doesn’t want to change winning teams” and I’m sure he can’t have avoided seeing how productive Hosking has been so far as a starter.

Does anyone here think Whitehead comes straight back in? Personally, I wouldn’t want to squander such a strong start from the entire team by showing outsized loyalty to a single player.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

As the late great Chris Wessling was fond of saying - analyse the game, not the name
EW decision is not a conundrum in my view.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Botman wrote: March 17, 2024, 7:05 pm As the late great Chris Wessling was fond of saying - analyse the game, not the name
EW decision is not a conundrum in my view.
I agree, but we know Sticky will stay loyal to his veterans.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Regs Revolution wrote:
It's ridiculous.

I couldn't care less what happens to Sezer.

It frustrates me when you have a player that goes off for a HIA due to a tackle that was penalised for being high, and you can't activate your 18th man, even just for the HIA period.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 17, 2024, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

It's ridiculous.

Agreed. This is why, in my opinion, the benches should be increased by 1 making the 18th man active at anytime. Keep interchanges the same at 8 per team but teams aren't punished by having players out of position. You have a hooker/utility, 3 forwards, 1 back (preferably outside back) and teams aren't disadvantaged when a winger or centre goes down. Granted, that back won't get used much but in the HIA era they might be required to play 70 minutes some weeks.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Will be a tough match. Good test for us.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Dusty »

1. Rapana
2. Cotric
3. Hopoate
4. Timoko
5. Savage
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Levi
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Hosking
13. Smithies

14. Starling
15. Mooney
16. Mariota
17. Saulo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I don’t hate the idea of Whitehead coming straight back into the starting lineup as long as he is used correctly.

Whitehead to start and play around 20 before Hosking comes on and plays the remainder of the game at 12

Then Whitehead is available for injury cover to a back (whitehead to 12 Hosking to centre) or to cover Smithies or a prop for a 10-15 m spell.

Would prefer;

12- Whitehead
16- Hosking

Rather than what we have now with no backs cover and Guler on the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I'd name Schiller in at centre and Asomua at wing.
But certainly hoppa isnt getting dropped, so given that reality and reality on those terms... i'd LOVE to see Hoppa at centre and Asomua at wing

We're 2-0, a little unexpected... i think we're playing with house money a bit. Lets give the bloke a shot and find out if he's ready... if he is, great we've got an a wing answer for the next few years... if not, no problem, he gets a taste, understands what is required at the next level and he can go back and work on things in Cup.

I vote firmly for:

Hoppa - Centre
Asomua - Wing
Hors - Saulo
Mooney - Guler

Those are my changes and i reckon we could beat the Warriors with those changes.

I expect EW will be given another week and it'll be Hoppa to centre and Cotric to wing, with Hors in for Guler.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'm not comfortable with Schiller at centre next week v Rocco Berry and all the shape which the Warriors right hand attack throw at teams through Shaun Johnson. I trust Schiller's attacking ability but not his reads in defence. For this week, I would prefer Hoppa at centre and Cotric on the wing like the game v Newcastle.

I agree with others that the wing spot needs to be looked at in future, whether that's Cotric, Schiller or Asomua. All the good teams have fast wingers who can make or finish a break out of nothing.

Given the comments regarding our NSW Cup side, I watched the full match. I still think it's a bit early for Asomua - he did some good things but he also bombed a try. Mooney and Hola were impressive. Mooney is big but more agile than Guler and has more impact. Kaeo did some nice things but some of his passes didn't hit the mark. For me he needs to get involved more. Schiller was terrific. I think Cook was good too. It's great we have some depth and haven't lost a match in any grade.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wiki Special wrote:
It's ridiculous.

Agreed. This is why, in my opinion, the benches should be increased by 1 making the 18th man active at anytime. Keep interchanges the same at 8 per team but teams aren't punished by having players out of position. You have a hooker/utility, 3 forwards, 1 back (preferably outside back) and teams aren't disadvantaged when a winger or centre goes down. Granted, that back won't get used much but in the HIA era they might be required to play 70 minutes some weeks.
I think the whole HIA protocol needs to be looked at. All the assessments should be made by an independent doctor, not the team trainers.

I'm fine either way with the 18th man being an active bench member, but at minimum he should be available to come on when a player is off with a HIA.

At the end of the day the intent is to protect players, not punish the team if one of their players gets a serious head injury.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The sooner we move to a 6 man bench, the better
Pick your bench, ability to cover all positions and use them as you require

Allows a bench half/hooker x1, couple of middles x3, centre/edge x1, specialist back x1
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: March 17, 2024, 8:19 pm The sooner we move to a 6 man bench, the better
Pick your bench, ability to cover all positions and use them as you require

Allows a bench half/hooker x1, couple of middles x3, centre/edge x1, specialist back x1
I think 5 would be enough myself and 18 suit up as it is. But if it became 6 so be it.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Bluesbrother wrote: March 17, 2024, 5:58 pm
I'd be pretty confident that Hosking would defend anyone. The guy has been outstanding in defence.

EW presents a conundrum. He deserves the chance to prove he is in our best 17 but it's going to be tough for him. Hosking as a bench player is criminal the way he is playing.
No. Whilst Hosking has been very good in defense, he does not belong at centre. No backrower should be there.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Seiffert82 wrote: March 17, 2024, 7:42 pm
Regs Revolution wrote:
It's ridiculous.

I couldn't care less what happens to Sezer.

It frustrates me when you have a player that goes off for a HIA due to a tackle that was penalised for being high, and you can't activate your 18th man, even just for the HIA period.

Yea agree, the rules need to change.

I think it should be, the moment that 2 players are ruled out of the game for an HIA or any injury, you can enact the 18th man. Having Cotric come on would have been very handy.

We essentially lost both of our centres when Kris and Rapa went off.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2024 Round 3 v Warriors: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders going to New Zealand early tomorrow morning for an extended camp in Christchurch to prepare for the match. I really like that. The Raiders have been treating the early season games seriously.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Got to give credit to Ricky and the coaching / conditioning staff. He has us fit and firing early.

We also see a change in the way we move the ball in our half with the use of speed. Despite this, we have 90% completions and have played with control when we have led in the game which we didn't have in previous years. We would let our opposition back in the game and beat ourselves. I like the defensive attitude to not let Wests score in the final minutes when we led by 20. Fog's control and kicking reminds me of Ricky himself and Peter Sterling before him. We didn't have that before.

Ricky's also made the correct decisions in selection so far - Strange over Kaeo, Levi at hooker, Rapana at FB and picking Savage on the wing.

Smithies, Hosking, Strange and Savage have been great additions to our team.