37%

Total votes: 27

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: 2024 Rd 3 v Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:50 pm
Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:46 pm HKR saying the same thing as me: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p1825869
I’ve always said originally isn’t your strong point Funchy, but when it comes to identifying a wagon to hitch your ride on you’re up there with the best. I bet your school reports made strong reference to you being an easily led and more a follower than a leader.
An interesting point Billy. Are you saying I share the same viewpoint as another poster? A viewpoint you seemingly also share? We can be “unoriginal” together!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:50 pm
BJ wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:44 pm So I just sat through the Matt Johns Show to get about 20 seconds of talk about the Raiders.

Souths got more coverage in one episode of 360 than the Raiders have had in all the episodes of the key rugby league shows this season.
They only talked about the Raiders because they were discussing what’s wrong with the Rabbitohs. The just used the Raiders as an example of the sort of thing the Rabbitohs should be doing! At least there’s a positive side to it, I guess!
I understand the frustration and agree the raiders have always gotten a rotten deal with the Sydney media, but what I would say is that the quality of analysis or anything else on the Matty John show or all those Fox league shows is so poor that I’m not sure we are missing out on much. The raiders media team is putting out some good stuff so give me that any day over the need to be recognised on some rubbish show I don’t respect anyway. The exception I’d suggest is that Face to Face show. I thought the Josh Papa episode last year was very good.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:52 pm
Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:46 pm HKR saying the same thing as me: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p1825869
I’ve always said originally isn’t your strong point Funchy, but when it comes to identifying a wagon to hitch your ride on you’re up there with the best. I bet your school reports made strong reference to you being an easily led and more a follower than a leader.
An interesting point Billy. Are you saying I share the same viewpoint as another poster? A viewpoint you seemingly also share? We can be “unoriginal” together!
I’m bored with you now Funchy- I feel my intelligence dropping the more I engage with you. Be gone!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 11:00 pm
I’m bored with you now Funchy- I feel my intelligence dropping the more I engage with you. Be gone!
Likewise William. Having a go at me for sharing a viewpoint you’ve been proven to share yourself is just plain embarrassing trolling, really. I can see why you’re running off.

I also see why the likes of Nickman block you and your nonsense.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 11:02 pm
Likewise William. Having a go at me for sharing a viewpoint you’ve been proven to share yourself is just plain embarrassing trolling, really. I can see why you’re running off.

*yawn emoji*
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 11:10 pm
Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 11:02 pm

*yawn emoji*
Oh look he’s back. Go to sleep old man, dream of the Broncos winning or something
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:57 pm
BJ wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:44 pm So I just sat through the Matt Johns Show to get about 20 seconds of talk about the Raiders.

Souths got more coverage in one episode of 360 than the Raiders have had in all the episodes of the key rugby league shows this season.
They only talked about the Raiders because they were discussing what’s wrong with the Rabbitohs. The just used the Raiders as an example of the sort of thing the Rabbitohs should be doing! At least there’s a positive side to it, I guess!
I understand the frustration and agree the raiders have always gotten a rotten deal with the Sydney media, but what I would say is that the quality of analysis or anything else on the Matty John show or all those Fox league shows is so poor that I’m not sure we are missing out on much. The raiders media team is putting out some good stuff so give me that any day over the need to be recognised on some rubbish show I don’t respect anyway. The exception I’d suggest is that Face to Face show. I thought the Josh Papa episode last year was very good.
Clearly you haven’t watched or listened to The Matty Johns Podcast. It’s very high quality rugby league analysis with Cooper Cronk. It’s a shame Johns doesn’t reveal his brain on any other show.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:49 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:47 pm
Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:40 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:34 pm
Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:30 pm

The players he “lost” left. Hodgo, Bateman, GWilly, Sutton. EW stayed and backed the coach, got rewarded for his loyalty. Not saying it’s the smartest decision by the club because he’s still here 3 years later on big coin and not contributing. But it’s happened. I have no agenda. Ricky makes some good decisions, some bad. He’s here for the foreseeable future. I’m not calling for his head.
So Funchy, in a debate when someone debunks what you have said you don’t just say the same thing again. Reg has made his case against your points so try not to be boring and repetitive and maybe introduce something new. Also feel free to try these helpful hints if anyone ever invites you to a BBQ.
Hey Billy, look what found - you agreeing with what I’m saying in the EW Re-signing thread, only it wasn’t me saying it! Enjoy: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 2#p1820722
Funchy none of that references Guler, Ata or Saulo. You’re awfully confused this evening, and dare I say possibly a little flustered. Maybe time to put the forum down and get a bit of sleep I’d suggest.
The argument with Regs is to do with EW and Ricky re-signing him due to loyalty/losing the dressing room. You’re on the sideline throwing pot shots like the troll you are, claiming I’ve been “debunked” when you in fact share the same view point, as your posting history shows. Well done Billy. Pick another one out of the net.
the raiders brought CHN to replace whitehead and this was clear because whitehead started playing 13. the problem was CHN was poor and so was whitehead through the middle. The club has been trying to transition whitehead out of the side for at least a couple of years. the fact that CHN didnt make it and we couldnt sign Fifita to replace him doesnt help your argument here.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

The only other reason is because of the myth, the legend, the player you like or you hate if living the raiders Jack Wighton seeing him in south's jersey and his 1st kick off game with that club.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Finchy, I think you have just solidified my earlier post. You have some weird agenda against Ricky. Despite the enormous net positive has brought to the club, you look to bag him.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:

Was the example they used “releasing Jack Wighton” Image
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Finchy wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:34 pm
Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:30 pm
Regs Revolution wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:26 pm It’s not that I am disagreeing or agreeing. It just doesn’t make sense. He would be hurting his chances of staying on as coach by signing an underperforming player. What you’re saying isn’t right in any way possible.

I genuinely think it’s sad for people to have agendas. And don’t get me wrong, I think he’s made an absolute motza of the team this week but who am I to judge? He would have considerably more insight than the experts here.
The players he “lost” left. Hodgo, Bateman, GWilly, Sutton. EW stayed and backed the coach, got rewarded for his loyalty. Not saying it’s the smartest decision by the club because he’s still here 3 years later on big coin and not contributing. But it’s happened. I have no agenda. Ricky makes some good decisions, some bad. He’s here for the foreseeable future. I’m not calling for his head.
So Funchy, in a debate when someone debunks what you have said you don’t just say the same thing again. Reg has made his case against your points so try not to be boring and repetitive and maybe introduce something new. Also feel free to try these helpful hints if anyone ever invites you to a BBQ.
Hey Billy, look what found - you agreeing with what I’m saying in the EW Re-signing thread, only it wasn’t me saying it! Enjoy: https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... 2#p1820722
Goodness Finchy smashed that one into the goal so hard it went through the net.

Billy Shadowboxing away after being caught holding contrary positions.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2024 Rd 3 v Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

Regs Revolution wrote:It’s not that I am disagreeing or agreeing. It just doesn’t make sense. He would be hurting his chances of staying on as coach by signing an underperforming player. What you’re saying isn’t right in any way possible.

I genuinely think it’s sad for people to have agendas. And don’t get me wrong, I think he’s made an absolute motza of the team this week but who am I to judge? He would have considerably more insight than the experts here.
I’ll answer this one for Finchy.

It absolutely makes sense if the coach has the expectation that their tenure is based on the support of the dressing room, and not winning games of football.

That may seem strange, but is shown to be historically accurate. The club announced Furner could lose whatever is was… 30 games in a row or something and have the job still. But the players were lost and revolted and THAT cost his job.

P.S. To “make a motza” is to make a lot of money. Not to mess something up.
Last edited by gangrenous on March 22, 2024, 5:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: March 21, 2024, 11:16 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 10:57 pm

Clearly you haven’t watched or listened to The Matty Johns Podcast. It’s very high quality rugby league analysis with Cooper Cronk. It’s a shame Johns doesn’t reveal his brain on any other show.
I have to admit I haven’t, and I’m shocked to hear these rumours of John’s having a brain. You’re generally a good judge on these things so I’m curious to watch an episode now.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 5:06 am Finchy, I think you have just solidified my earlier post. You have some weird agenda against Ricky. Despite the enormous net positive has brought to the club, you look to bag him.
I’m fairness to Finchy, it’s most unlikely it would be his own agenda. Someone else would have done the thinking on it and Finchy will have tagged along for the ride. If enough people get on board with Ricky and start liking him, Finchy will change his views quicker than he changes his underwear.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy only a few posts up shown to change his view to oppose whatever the thread is, accusing others of changing their views.

Full DARVO response ladies and gentlemen.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Raidernation wrote: March 21, 2024, 11:30 pm the raiders brought CHN to replace whitehead and this was clear because whitehead started playing 13. the problem was CHN was poor and so was whitehead through the middle. The club has been trying to transition whitehead out of the side for at least a couple of years. the fact that CHN didnt make it and we couldnt sign Fifita to replace him doesnt help your argument here.
CHN was signed in 2020 when Young had barely played first grade. He was signed to replace Batemean who announced he was leaving a couple of weeks earlier. I don’t think it was as planned as their other signings.

Whitehead moved to the middle in 2022.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 6:06 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 5:54 pm
-TW- wrote: March 21, 2024, 5:11 pm
Botman wrote:Or… and go with me here, I know it sounds crazy… but perhaps Stuart might simply have the players he selected in front of Mariota and has consistently selected in front of Mariota, still in front of Mariota?

Much was made of Ata starting the final 2 games of last year and many of us assumed he’d jumped them in the pecking order but the simplest answer to this is that was an incorrect assumption.
Guler and Saulo were selected in those games too so it’s not as if they played cup.
He'll go with the more experienced guys every day of the week

It's why Whitehead flew back in, it's why Levi is playing 9, it's why Raps is playing 1.

I don't think there's been any point in Stuarts 20 odd year career where he's gone all out with youth, he just drip feeds them in

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Hasn’t he just selected a 20 year old 6 ahead of all other options available? :hmmm
Yep you got him Billy. Ricky picked Strange over all those other veteran half options we have like Wighton, Williams, Frawley... oh wait. And before the name ‘Kaeo Weekes’ spurts out of your mouth, he’s also quite young and basically a reserve grader who Strange outplayed, so not really the slam dunk you’re after.
But he did let Frawley go with intent to give Strange and Weekes an opportunity.

He's also going to give Chevy a run this year, and I'm confident we'll have Sanders next year.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: March 21, 2024, 4:41 pm International hooker. Good one!
DL was selected in the Kiwi squad last year (Thanks to Madge being coach at the time), but Madge wouldn't play him. In the final of the Pacific Cup they picked aged 5/8 Keiran Foran at 9 ahead of DL. Was DL on the bench - No. Kiwi's thrashed Australia 30-0.

As is usual for me, I'll be interested to see how DL performs defensively against the Warriors pack.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Canberra Milk wrote: March 21, 2024, 5:53 pm
pickles wrote: March 21, 2024, 9:43 am I agree with most of this. It is a forum for discussion and everyone is entitled to an opinion. The important thing to understand is that everyone's opinion is based in incomplete evidence and saying that watching 80 minutes of the team once a week is all you need to see is a bit of a stretch.

There are a lot of things that contribute to that 80 minutes of game time that we get to see that may or not be related to things that we attribute them too and my perspective is that the interpersonal elements of managing a football team are highly under rated as a contributing factor and probably play a much larger part of decisions that are made than what many people would believe.

One tangible example is Savage and Kris approaching Ricky about wanting to play on an edge together and this being accommodated or Tapine and Papalii wanting to be on the field together. I doubt any fans knew that Kris and Savage were good mates prior to this revelation in the same way we have almost no insight into the social dynamics within the team.

Especially with senior players and captains there are roles that they play within the club both on the training paddock, through the preparation and on the field that are not visible to fans but can play an extremely important role in team performance.

I'm certain that Ricky get's things wrong at times. He is stubborn and emotional and that isn't always going lead to the best process for making decisions. I don't always agree with his decisions and I don't always like the outcomes but I can also admit that I don't know the full picture of why that decision was made and I am certain that there are times when a right decision was made for the wrong reasons and wrong decisions were made for the right reasons. Mainly because I've worked with people and they are complicated!
Ok I'm nitpicking because I get your point generally, but it's very clear on socials that Savage and Kris are besties
That's a fair point, I don't follow any players on socials to be honest so there might be more out there regarding the social connection of the team than what I am aware of.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

RedRaider wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:45 am As is usual for me, I'll be interested to see how DL performs defensively against the Warriors pack.
I was curious about this, because i felt the same about his performance defensively being poor, in both work rate and efficiency, but understanding my own bias i wanted to get a more objective look at what is being done... compare him to to other hookers around the league.

This is a 2 game sample size, so no big however:

*Source NRL FoxSports Stat Lab

Levi is dead last in the league for defensive work rate for hookers in tackles per minute
He's 2nd last in the league for TE%, 2nd only to a bloke who ranks 2nd on work rate.
He's 4th last in MT's per minute.

So despite the lowest work rate in the league, he's still one of the least effective defensive hookers in the league through 2 weeks.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

gangrenous wrote: March 22, 2024, 5:48 am
Regs Revolution wrote:It’s not that I am disagreeing or agreeing. It just doesn’t make sense. He would be hurting his chances of staying on as coach by signing an underperforming player. What you’re saying isn’t right in any way possible.

I’ll answer this one for Finchy.

It absolutely makes sense if the coach has the expectation that their tenure is based on the support of the dressing room, and not winning games of football.

That may seem strange, but is shown to be historically accurate. The club announced Furner could lose whatever is was… 30 games in a row or something and have the job still. But the players were lost and revolted and THAT cost his job.

P.S. To “make a motza” is to make a lot of money. Not to mess something up.
You’re right. Motza is the wrong word. What I meant was Shemozzle.

You’re wrong however if you think that the tenure of a coach isn’t based on winning games as you state. That couldn’t be further from the truth.

Who do you think will last longer? A coach with a 100% win rate and the players think the coach is a **** or a coach with a win rate of 0% but all the players are his best mates?

You’ve given one sample about Furner which is irrelevant to the overall concept. And for what it’s worth, Furner was an unbelievable player but a horrible coach, combined with the fact we had some bad seeds who amounted to nothing in the NRL. It had nothing to do with the dressing room.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:36 am
RedRaider wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:45 am As is usual for me, I'll be interested to see how DL performs defensively against the Warriors pack.
I was curious about this, because i felt the same about his performance defensively being poor, in both work rate and efficiency, but understanding my own bias i wanted to get a more objective look at what is being done... compare him to to other hookers around the league.

Levi is dead last in the league for defensive work rate for hookers in tackles per minute
He's 2nd last in the league for TE%, 2nd only to a bloke who ranks 2nd on work rate.

So despite the lowest work rate in the league, he's still one of the least effective defensive hookers in the league through 2 weeks.
to be fair we have dominated posession in both games so far so that would throw his work rate stats off a bit, probably need a few more games to get an accurate look at things
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:58 am to be fair we have dominated posession in both games so far so that would throw his work rate stats off a bit, probably need a few more games to get an accurate look at things
Come on Kiwi!
You didnt think i come prepared for this...

What ever impact possession had would impact our entire squad.
2 games is indeed a small sample size, so something to monitor, but he needs to lift his work rate and his efficiency because right now defensively he's arguably the poorest performing hooker in the league and the poorest performing middle defender in our team
Last edited by Botman on March 22, 2024, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

I feel a stark reality check coming this afternoon.

I really hope I am wrong.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2024, 8:36 am

Really interesting stat. I haven't really noticed Levi missing tackles nor making so few over 2 games, it's actually shockingly few tackles for a middle player playing 60 odd minutes a game. We haven't been so dominant to account for this and we have been generally good defensively. It's an interesting one to look out for the reasons because it's pretty surprising.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I had noticed both the mistackles and the low work rate but sometimes you see what you want to see... men lie, women lie... numbers dont
2 games is admittedly a very small sample size and that could very easily normalise over the next 3-4 weeks and i'll check back in on that after round 5 but i too found it interesting.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Strange and Fog have had high tackle counts both weeks. I guess teams are seeing a weakness there or trying to avoid the middles.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

NoMan wrote: March 22, 2024, 9:32 am Strange and Fog have had high tackle counts both weeks. I guess teams are seeing a weakness there or trying to avoid the middles.
Left and right edge defenders were a serious weakness of the raiders last year due to a couple of players making bad reads or lateral inefficiencies. Toots and Jack are gone, but the third returns tonight.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Why do you care so much?
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

hrundi89 wrote: March 22, 2024, 9:42 am

Why do you care so much?
It’s fair to expect the game’s host broadcasters give broad coverage to all the clubs. But it’s not happening. As Raiders fans we understandably want to hear about our team. We also want to see them given fair coverage, in the club’s interests (eg sponsorships). BJ may have his own reasons of course! But that’s why I care.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I have plenty of question marks over Ricky's coaching but it is hard to remember a period of time for the Raiders when we have had as. many new faces in the team from last season who have all stepped up and made immediate impact. There have been players who have come along well like Timoko and Kris but the way Strange, Hosking, Smithies, Savage and to some extent Levi have all stepped up this year has been impressive.

I wasn't too excited about our off season recruitment but 2 rounds in I feel like we may have recruited extremely well.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 22, 2024, 5:54 am
Bluesbrother wrote: March 22, 2024, 5:06 am Finchy, I think you have just solidified my earlier post. You have some weird agenda against Ricky. Despite the enormous net positive has brought to the club, you look to bag him.
I’m fairness to Finchy, it’s most unlikely it would be his own agenda. Someone else would have done the thinking on it and Finchy will have tagged along for the ride. If enough people get on board with Ricky and start liking him, Finchy will change his views quicker than he changes his underwear.
Haha oh Billy, sweet simple stupid Billy. You've just proven it is in fact you who changes his views to be a troll, not me. You just go against whatever the general consensus is to be contrarian. It's a sad pitiful existence Billy, yet I'm pleased it seems to bring you some joy in your evidently miserable life. :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MOD REQUEST: Could we please cut the personal abuse and… back on topic, thanks.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2024 Rd 3 v Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

Regs Revolution wrote: Who do you think will last longer? A coach with a 100% win rate and the players think the coach is a **** or a coach with a win rate of 0% but all the players are his best mates?

You’ve given one sample about Furner which is irrelevant to the overall concept. And for what it’s worth, Furner was an unbelievable player but a horrible coach, combined with the fact we had some bad seeds who amounted to nothing in the NRL. It had nothing to do with the dressing room.
The factual history of sacking a coach and public statements from the club are irrelevant?! Come on, I’m not discussing if you’re going to be ridiculous.

Picking Whitehead is not the difference between a 100% record or a 0% record. So the coach may well be willing to take a risk of lower win rate for team support. Because history shows the players come for you before the board does.
Last edited by gangrenous on March 22, 2024, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.