Warriors 13+
37%

Total votes: 27

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2024 Rd 3 v Warriors: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Billy Walker »

Ricky might be of the view that Ata will benefit from bigger minutes in NSW Cup. It’s a long season and his exclusion at this point might not necessarily correlate with where he sits in the pecking order. Woolford just has a superior international starting 9 ahead of him but is a useful back up should injuries strike through the season.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Or… and go with me here, I know it sounds crazy… but perhaps Stuart might simply have the players he selected in front of Mariota and has consistently selected in front of Mariota, still in front of Mariota?

Much was made of Ata starting the final 2 games of last year and many of us assumed he’d jumped them in the pecking order but the simplest answer to this is that was an incorrect assumption.
Guler and Saulo were selected in those games too so it’s not as if they played cup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

International hooker. Good one!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:Or… and go with me here, I know it sounds crazy… but perhaps Stuart might simply have the players he selected in front of Mariota and has consistently selected in front of Mariota, still in front of Mariota?

Much was made of Ata starting the final 2 games of last year and many of us assumed he’d jumped them in the pecking order but the simplest answer to this is that was an incorrect assumption.
Guler and Saulo were selected in those games too so it’s not as if they played cup.
He'll go with the more experienced guys every day of the week

It's why Whitehead flew back in, it's why Levi is playing 9, it's why Raps is playing 1.

I don't think there's been any point in Stuarts 20 odd year career where he's gone all out with youth, he just drip feeds them in

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

All this coach always knows best would hold more weight if their weren’t a veritable litany of examples where the GH crowd had been ultimately proven right.

Sure Ricky Stuart is a better coach than all of us in all reasonable likelihood. He does some very good things, and I’ve enjoyed his tenure much more than the years prior.

But he also has some clear flaws (as we all do), and in my view there are some clear changes that could be made to make the team better.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think a run in NSW Cup is not necessarily a bad thing.

Just wish it was Guler not Ata
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: March 21, 2024, 5:15 pm I think a run in NSW Cup is not necessarily a bad thing.

Guler didn’t play a single game of cup last year according to RLP. And now Ata’s been dropped and Guler is playing

Even as a public defender of Guler it pains me to say at this stage (and it could change) Guler is still middle #3 for our coach

And this is the friendly reminder that every minute Guler/Saulo get in FG over Mooney/Ata is a wasted minute
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

gangrenous wrote: March 21, 2024, 5:14 pm All this coach always knows best would hold more weight if their weren’t a veritable litany of examples where the GH crowd had been ultimately proven right.

Sure Ricky Stuart is a better coach than all of us in all reasonable likelihood. He does some very good things, and I’ve enjoyed his tenure much more than the years prior.

But he also has some clear flaws (as we all do), and in my view there are some clear changes that could be made to make the team better.
Similar to Fittler as NSW coach. Clearly did some good things in terms of building the pathways, team spirit etc. But some bizarre selections (his were worse than Stuart's)

And yes history has shown some of his selections to be clearly poor: Ata what's his name on the wing, Sezer hooker, Valemei's extended go in the team, etc etc
Last edited by Canberra Milk on March 21, 2024, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Botman wrote: March 21, 2024, 5:27 pm
dubby wrote: March 21, 2024, 5:15 pm I think a run in NSW Cup is not necessarily a bad thing.

Guler didn’t play a single game of cup last year according to RLP. And now Ata’s been dropped and Guler is playing

Even as a public defender of Guler it pains me to say at this stage (and it could change) Guler is still middle #3 for our coach

And this is the friendly reminder that every minute Guler/Saulo get in FG over Mooney/Ata is a wasted minute
And in reality it will be very difficult (if potentially possible) for any of the traveling crew to be on standby for the captains run tomorrow, and make it back to QBN in time for cup at midday Saturday. Best commercial flight would need the players at the airport just after lunch and getting into Canberra 7.30 Friday night after a 7 odd hour pair of flights. So if you loose middle in the warm up you don’t have anyone left.

I think it’s more realistic that Ata plays in neither grade this week, just like Kaeo and Schiller.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: March 21, 2024, 4:41 pm International hooker. Good one!
Samoa and New Zealand are no longer international countries? :hmmm
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

pickles wrote: March 21, 2024, 9:43 am I agree with most of this. It is a forum for discussion and everyone is entitled to an opinion. The important thing to understand is that everyone's opinion is based in incomplete evidence and saying that watching 80 minutes of the team once a week is all you need to see is a bit of a stretch.

There are a lot of things that contribute to that 80 minutes of game time that we get to see that may or not be related to things that we attribute them too and my perspective is that the interpersonal elements of managing a football team are highly under rated as a contributing factor and probably play a much larger part of decisions that are made than what many people would believe.

One tangible example is Savage and Kris approaching Ricky about wanting to play on an edge together and this being accommodated or Tapine and Papalii wanting to be on the field together. I doubt any fans knew that Kris and Savage were good mates prior to this revelation in the same way we have almost no insight into the social dynamics within the team.

Especially with senior players and captains there are roles that they play within the club both on the training paddock, through the preparation and on the field that are not visible to fans but can play an extremely important role in team performance.

I'm certain that Ricky get's things wrong at times. He is stubborn and emotional and that isn't always going lead to the best process for making decisions. I don't always agree with his decisions and I don't always like the outcomes but I can also admit that I don't know the full picture of why that decision was made and I am certain that there are times when a right decision was made for the wrong reasons and wrong decisions were made for the right reasons. Mainly because I've worked with people and they are complicated!
Ok I'm nitpicking because I get your point generally, but it's very clear on socials that Savage and Kris are besties
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: March 21, 2024, 5:11 pm
Botman wrote:Or… and go with me here, I know it sounds crazy… but perhaps Stuart might simply have the players he selected in front of Mariota and has consistently selected in front of Mariota, still in front of Mariota?

It's why Whitehead flew back in, it's why Levi is playing 9, it's why Raps is playing 1.

I don't think there's been any point in Stuarts 20 odd year career where he's gone all out with youth, he just drip feeds them in

Hasn’t he just selected a 20 year old 6 ahead of all other options available? :hmmm
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

With the caveat that yes there are some inner workings we won't be privy to... The overwhelming likelihood is that Sticky relies on senior players, the captain in particular, to drive standards in the dressing room and on the training field etc. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence going way back to his time coaching Fittler at the Roosters to support this. And he picks Whitehead for that intangible benefit. It's very hard to measure whether that's ultimately beneficial, taking a hit on one of the starting 13, so that everyone else can be generally better

It just so happens that it's the form player arguably of the comp that's been dropped. I thought maybe he'd put Whitehead to 13, for Smithies to sub on later, so that Hosking could remain
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 5:54 pm

Hasn’t he just selected a 20 year old 6 ahead of all other options available? :hmmm
Yep you got him Billy. Ricky picked Strange over all those other veteran half options we have like Wighton, Williams, Frawley... oh wait. And before the name ‘Kaeo Weekes’ spurts out of your mouth, he’s also quite young and basically a reserve grader who Strange outplayed, so not really the slam dunk you’re after.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

NoMan wrote: March 21, 2024, 9:20 am The only ones saying this are the ones accusing others of it.

This place is just like other hardcore sports forums and subreddits. I get that it can be off putting for casual fans but the unique thing on here is actually having people thinking the coach is infallible. I haven’t seen it elsewhere.

I’ve also seen fan sentiment be right over professionals all the time. US teams have 100x the resources to make objective decisions but Ego and personality derail them all the time. Ricky isn’t short on both.

Time will tell if Ricky is making the right call and I hope he is, but if you’re insulting people over having a view on it (not saying you did), you better front up if it goes south.
That's true re casuals. I used to be a nut at games, I couldn't relate to fans especially at Bruce Stadium who seemed like they were more there for just a nice day out, rather than sweating on the win. Even after the 2019 GF loss, a fan in front of me told me bemusedly to "calm down, it's just a game". Nah as my dad used to describe me as a kid, when we lost I would be inconsolable lol. I don't care about the casuals
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:

Kaeo Weekes who's played 12 NRL games?

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

2005 and 2006 he went with youth. That's probably why he hasn't since.

mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

The warriors will out for their first win at home, young strange will be targeted on that edge defence, I can see warriors running ball his way a lot, his defence will be tested but think he will up to it, same goes for savage. Good to see crotic back in we need that big body out there in defence. interested to see if foggerty will run the players more and set up the attack, not just kicking the ball in the air, which has been good..
always love watching big papa and Taps in the Middle, think Mooney been unlucky not get a run, saying that Ata looks good what I seem so far but Mooney more physical and a bigger body. I have been happy with Guler this year.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: March 21, 2024, 6:12 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

Seb Kris is a footballer
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Canberra Milk wrote: March 21, 2024, 6:00 pm With the caveat that yes there are some inner workings we won't be privy to... The overwhelming likelihood is that Sticky relies on senior players, the captain in particular, to drive standards in the dressing room and on the training field etc. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence going way back to his time coaching Fittler at the Roosters to support this. And he picks Whitehead for that intangible benefit. It's very hard to measure whether that's ultimately beneficial, taking a hit on one of the starting 13, so that everyone else can be generally better

It just so happens that it's the form player arguably of the comp that's been dropped. I thought maybe he'd put Whitehead to 13, for Smithies to sub on later, so that Hosking could remain
But I have a major issue with this theory - our last 2 captains have not been playing at a high enough standard to keep a spot without the armband, so are they the ones who should be driving standards? Smelly is regularly caught behind the play with hands on knees, how does that drive standards?
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Canberra Milk wrote: March 21, 2024, 6:07 pm
NoMan wrote: March 21, 2024, 9:20 am The only ones saying this are the ones accusing others of it.

This place is just like other hardcore sports forums and subreddits. I get that it can be off putting for casual fans but the unique thing on here is actually having people thinking the coach is infallible. I haven’t seen it elsewhere.

I’ve also seen fan sentiment be right over professionals all the time. US teams have 100x the resources to make objective decisions but Ego and personality derail them all the time. Ricky isn’t short on both.

Time will tell if Ricky is making the right call and I hope he is, but if you’re insulting people over having a view on it (not saying you did), you better front up if it goes south.
That's true re casuals. I used to be a nut at games, I couldn't relate to fans especially at Bruce Stadium who seemed like they were more there for just a nice day out, rather than sweating on the win. Even after the 2019 GF loss, a fan in front of me told me bemusedly to "calm down, it's just a game". Nah as my dad used to describe me as a kid, when we lost I would be inconsolable lol. I don't care about the casuals
I’m sorry casuals are not real fans. What’s the point? Why are you even there? Go have a nice day at the park. If someone told me to calm down after the 2019 final, it would have ended in a scene.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

Seb Kris is a footballer
If he was genuinely being considered they wouldn't have bought Kaeo Weekes

It was a throw away line that people have clung onto like you onto **** footballers

Last edited by -TW- on March 21, 2024, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seb Kris was ruled out of the fullback spot late last year, there was never any indication he was being considered for 5/8th an in fact it was clear from very early on in the pre season he wasnt a candidate at any position other than centre :lol:
The 5/8th spot was a 2 way race between a 1 game rookie and a 12 game import... there was no veteran to lean into here. It was Weekes or Strange.

**** are you talking about Billy? :lol:
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Rick clearly got it wrong. Should have been Strange 3 and Kris 6
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

I was a harsh critic, but he's filtering the rebuild, with youth and experience, ee have blokes like kris and young and timoko getting around the 50 -120 games, but we basically have two teams capable of playing nrl.
Ricky has done well
They recruited smartly, they basically have done everything I complained about in an email 3 years ago, and I think everyone seems to be doing great things and the future looks bright
#upthemilk
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: March 21, 2024, 8:55 pm Seb Kris was ruled out of the fullback spot late last year, there was never any indication he was being considered for 5/8th an in fact it was clear from very early on in the pre season he wasnt a candidate at any position other than centre :lol:
The 5/8th spot was a 2 way race between a 1 game rookie and a 12 game import... there was no veteran to lean into here. It was Weekes or Strange.

**** are you talking about Billy? :lol:
A valid question that gets asked every day in every thread ...
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Re: 2024 Round 3 v Warriors: Game Day

Warriors one of our bogey teams. I don’t see us winning this.

However Knights are another one and we got them. Let’s see where this goes.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Re: 2024 Rd 3 v Warriors: Teams and Previews

Post by Sid »

The Nickman wrote:
skeepe wrote:Assuming Chris is out

1. Jordan Ropana
2. Nick Cotrich
3. Albert Hopoat
4. Matthew Timooko
5. Xavier Sauvage
6. Ethan Strangways
7. Jamal Fogartee
8. Joash Papalii
9. Danny Leviticus
10. Joseph Tapinay
11. Hudson Yung
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithys

14. Trey Moonie
15. Corey Horseborough
16. Ata Marioata
17. Pasami Salo
Hahahahaha extremely underrated post

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Billy Walker wrote: March 21, 2024, 4:06 pm Ricky might be of the view that Ata will benefit from bigger minutes in NSW Cup. It’s a long season and his exclusion at this point might not necessarily correlate with where he sits in the pecking order. Woolford just has a superior international starting 9 ahead of him but is a useful back up should injuries strike through the season.
I think the minutes thing is a factor. We're going to have to rotate guys throughout the year if we remain injury free. It's a luxury we have but also needs to be managed well. Ata is quite clearly a long term player for us.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 21, 2024, 8:48 pm I’m sorry casuals are not real fans. What’s the point? Why are you even there? Go have a nice day at the park. If someone told me to calm down after the 2019 final, it would have ended in a scene.
Na that's Bull. You dont have to live and die with the club and it's results to be a fan. That's certainly one way to go about it and it's how i do and i suspect most on this site... but the vast majority of sports fans are "casual"... their time, money, investment and support is not any less valuable than the hardcore fans.

We lunatics should have the self awareness to at least understand our level of investment is irrational and over the top and "casuals" have a much healthier relationship to the club than we do... and i reject the idea of "casual" fans... you're either a fan or your not. If you love the club and support the club, you're a fan. How people engage in fandom is their own choice and i dont think there is more or less.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Botman wrote: March 21, 2024, 9:05 pm
Regs Revolution wrote: March 21, 2024, 8:48 pm I’m sorry casuals are not real fans. What’s the point? Why are you even there? Go have a nice day at the park. If someone told me to calm down after the 2019 final, it would have ended in a scene.
Na that's Bull. You dont have to live and die with the club and it's results to be a fan. That's certainly one way to go about it and it's how i do and i suspect most on this site... but the vast majority of sports fans are "casual"... their time, money, investment and support is not any less valuable than the hardcore fans.

We lunatics should have the self awareness to at least understand our level of investment is irrational and over the top and "casuals" have a much healthier relationship to the club than we do... and i reject the idea of "casual" fans... you're either a fan or your not. If you love the club and support the club, you're a fan. How people engage in fandom is their own choice and i dont think there is more or less.
Couldn’t disagree more. The notion of supporting a team with no passion is pointless. Why bother? If you wanna go through life not being passionate about things, you’ll live a pretty ordinary life. I follow a number of other sporting teams in the world, but I don’t really care if they win or lose. I really shouldn’t be classified as a “fan”.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 6:06 pm

Yep you got him Billy. Ricky picked Strange over all those other veteran half options we have like Wighton, Williams, Frawley... oh wait. And before the name ‘Kaeo Weekes’ spurts out of your mouth, he’s also quite young and basically a reserve grader who Strange outplayed, so not really the slam dunk you’re after.
What r u talking about? The majority of the team are kids that's Stuart has debuted as kids.
In terms of Ata, I think he is a better option than whitehead but it was clear before the season started and I said it that Ata was likely to spend the early part of the season in reserves once all players were available. I suspect by the end of the season he will be in the team.
I did think he would be better than he has been though because I don't think he has been better than guler or saulo in the first 2 games.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: March 21, 2024, 8:49 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
-TW- wrote: March 21, 2024, 5:11 pm He'll go with the more experienced guys every day of the week

Seb Kris is a footballer
If he was genuinely being considered they wouldn't have bought Kaeo Weekes

It was a throw away line that people have clung onto like you onto **** footballers

So you want to shuffle out the backline a little? Did Ricky pick the former origin experience Cotric last week or the younger option in Savage?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think saying fans who dont live and die by results and who arent obsessive about it dont have passion is such a bad mischaractorisation
You can love the team and support the team with absolute passion and still put the sporting result into proper context

And to be clear, that's not how I go about my fandom. I'm an obsessive type... but there are a hell of a lot of fans who arent in the weed like i am who give just as much, if not more to the club than i do. Saying they're not real fans is... i have to be blunt about it... who the **** do you think you are to tell people how to be fans and what they must to qualify as a fan? :lol:

Ridiculous.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Raidernation wrote: March 21, 2024, 9:28 pm
Finchy wrote: March 21, 2024, 6:06 pm

What r u talking about? The majority of the team are kids that's Stuart has debuted as kids.
In terms of Ata, I think he is a better option than whitehead but it was clear before the season started and I said it that Ata was likely to spend the early part of the season in reserves once all players were available. I suspect by the end of the season he will be in the team.
I did think he would be better than he has been though because I don't think he has been better than guler or saulo in the first 2 games.
Is that question for me? I'm questioning Billy's strange (no pun intended) tangent that Ricky has somehow picked Strange over other senior options, when there really are none.