James Tedesco (Roosters)
Jeremiah Nanai (Cowboys)

4 points
Harry Grant (Storm)
Jamal Fogarty (Raiders)
Luke Brooks (Sea Eagles)
Lindsay Collins (Roosters)
Tyrell Sloan (Dragons)

Smithies and Hosking named in NRL.com Team of the Week: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/11/new ... -the-week/
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: 2024 Canberra Raiders Dally M votes

Post by Finchy »

I’m a bit surprised Fog didnt poll 6, Papalii got none, and Taps got 3.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Hammer got points in the Cowboys - dolphins game
The dally m’s have jumped the shark
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Not too many of the points across the round make sense but that does not surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Yeah anyone who actually watched that Cowboys Dolphins game isn’t giving any points to the Hammer. He had a shocker. These anonymous judges have no idea.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Finchy wrote: March 11, 2024, 9:17 am Yeah anyone who actually watched that Cowboys Dolphins game isn’t giving any points to the Hammer. He had a shocker. These anonymous judges have no idea.
I watched the game. He was awful and responsible for a try assist for the Cowboys. He was reluctant to catch anything on the full close to the line, or put his body on the line to stop tries. But he's a star who the judges think should have gotten some points. For a team flogged like they were, I would not be awarding any points to them.

The unmeritorious awarding of points devalues the Dally M award. I also don't like how they have changed from the 3-2-1 system.

In my view, Fog's dominant kicking game should have seen him get the full points.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He played so poorly that point shaving jokes were popping up in my group chats
He was horrendous for 90% of that game haha
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I’m 100% sure the judges arent always watching the games still, or at best have it on in the background.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: March 11, 2024, 9:11 am The Hammer got points in the Cowboys - dolphins game
Hahahaha god, they've made a stupid system and made it about ten times more **** ridiculous, haven't they?
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The Nickman wrote: March 11, 2024, 1:56 pm
Botman wrote: March 11, 2024, 9:11 am The Hammer got points in the Cowboys - dolphins game
Hahahaha god, they've made a stupid system and made it about ten times more **** ridiculous, haven't they?
Yeah the dally m’s have become a debarkle
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Give it to the refs to decide like the AFL. At least we know they watched the bloody game.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The referees used to do the Rothmans Medal. The only players the refs watch are halfbacks and they’re th3 only players who ever won.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I really don’t know how best to fix it
I’ve got a dozen ideas that all seem better to me than the current system but one thing is very clear…
This current system needs a complete overhaul. Down to the studs and rethink the whole thing sort of deal

It is a worthless award right now. And a big part of it is the judges are embarrassing.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:I really don’t know how best to fix it
I’ve got a dozen ideas that all seem better to me than the current system but one thing is very clear…
This current system needs a complete overhaul. Down to the studs and rethink the whole thing sort of deal

It is a worthless award right now. And a big part of it is the judges are embarrassing.
That idea to randomly assign points to players is even better than the current system.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I have no idea who he is but he's dead right

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: March 11, 2024, 7:13 pm I have no idea who he is but he's dead right

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Nick Campton is legitimately the best RL writer and commentator going around right now. Genuinely good insights, great stories and he watches every game and gives a ****.

He should be the front man of NRL media right now. He should be the leading national media voice of our game
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

bonehead wrote: March 11, 2024, 7:13 pm I have no idea who he is but he's dead right
Nah, still alive.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 11, 2024, 6:17 pm I really don’t know how best to fix it

We should just return to 3-2-1 points with one judge. OR they have to have a panel of, say, a dozen, that votes on every game, as we do for Fans' Choice... producing 3-2-1 points.

The current system is a mess.

The votes should be fully transparent as well. And the people voting should be accountable. Anonymous voting is completely counter to accountability.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 11, 2024, 7:59 pm
Botman wrote: March 11, 2024, 6:17 pm I really don’t know how best to fix it

We should just return to 3-2-1 points with one judge. OR they have to have a panel of, say, a dozen, that votes on every game, as we do for Fans' Choice... producing 3-2-1 points.

The current system is a mess.

The votes should be fully transparent as well. And the people voting should be accountable. Anonymous voting is completely counter to accountability.
3-2-1 system with actually judges who give a **** and who watch games and are trustworthy would be fine
One person is too much power and subjectivity. Transparency is a must.

So a group of 10-12 people and i'd have Nick Campton and Andrew Ferguson at the very top of that list, add in a high level ex coach or two, a few high level former players, long term CEOs and a few other media types... form the group, do the 3-2-1 for each game and the over all winners get the points... points can be split

But im also pretty open to doing away with the week to week, game to game format
Just let the season play out, get 20-30 people who are invested, committed, watch the games... and at the end of the year to a 1-5 ballot with weighted points. And you can just sit back with the season completed and decide who was the best player that year
It eliminates the impact of some **** clown who decided the Hammer was a top performer in a single game...one game doesnt matter, the MVP/Dally M is who these trusted people think was the best player over the course of the year

That system works well in other sports i watch, the MVP in those games is very rarely wrong.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yeah, I would be very much against deciding it all at the end of the season. It is a process that is far too open to recency bias and plain old Sydney and Brisbane bias.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 11, 2024, 8:36 pm Yeah, I would be very much against deciding it all at the end of the season. It is a process that is far too open to recency bias and plain old Sydney and Brisbane bias.
Reasonable thought but if you have the right people, who take it seriously, it doesnt become a factor. You shouldnt be giving votes to people you know have sydney/brisbane agendas. They're not fit for the responsibility
The NFL and NBA are leagues i follow closely and they almost always get it right, more so than our week to week thing

the counter argument is week to week allows people to feel more emboldened to cast valuable votes for HTF in a game he **** stunk at because, who gives a ****? It's one week and some votes in 1 week across a large sample size. It winds down the stakes to the level at which people can actually not give a ****. It becomes a tick and flick exercise.

if you've got to cast one ballot, one vote, you have to actually think about what and who matters in the season. You cant just phone that **** in, especially if your votes are public.

But again a 3-2-1 system works fine as long as you have the judges in place who are **** piss takers
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yeah, but the NFL and NBA have very diversified power bases. Sure, there are some huge cities hosting leading teams. But other cities are still large and they’re respected. In the NRL nothing outside Sydney counts for most figures that come from Sydney… etc.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Round 2 v Tigers

Zac Hosking 6
Ethan Strange 4
Matt Timoko 1
Jamal Fogarty 1

Canberra Raiders Dally M points after Round 2

Zac Hosking 8
Jamal Fogarty 5
Ethan Strange 4
Joseph Tapine 3
Morgan Smithies 2
Matt Timoko 2

Dally M Leaderboard after Round 2

12 points
Nicho Hynes (Sharks)

9 points
Ryan Papenhuyzen (Storm)
Tom Trbojevic (Sea Eagles)

8 points
Zac Hosking (Raiders)

7 points
Luke Brooks (Sea Eagles)

6 points
Bryce Cartwright (Eels)
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Dolphins)

Smithies and Hosking named in NRL.com Team of the Week: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/11/new ... -the-week/
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote: March 11, 2024, 8:59 pm Yeah, but the NFL and NBA have very diversified power bases. Sure, there are some huge cities hosting leading teams. But other cities are still large and they’re respected. In the NRL nothing outside Sydney counts for most figures that come from Sydney… etc.
As a supporter of a small market team in the NFL (Tennessee Titans), i can tell you with quite confidence that is simply not true. The national media has a bias towards the big market teams just like they do in the NRL. It's honestly even worse as there are 32 teams fighting for coverage as opposed to the 17 in the NRL.

The good thing about the NFL/NBA system is even if there is one cooked judge, them only having one vote won't necessarily affect the result as they won't have a big enough sway. Only one or two judges voting on a result gives them way too much power leading to ridiculous results like Hamiso receiving a point in round 1.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Plenty reckon the vote got swayed in the NBA big time last year based on one commentators view.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The only MVP vote in recent memory i think the NBA or NFL have got wrong was the Russell Westbrook MVP.
And these awards go to players of small markets all the time

Jokic (Denver), Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee), Westbrook (Oklahoma City)
Mahomes (Kanas City), Rodgers (Green Bay), Jackson (Baltimore)

There is definitely power bases. It's why every talk show in NFL season will lead off with a segment about the Cowboys, it's why two teams moved to LA where there is no fan base... it's why the Giants and Jets get talked about more than teams of their relevance should. Big markets and tiffany franchises are definitely given massive national media coverage advantages.
But they dont **** up the MVPs often. I feel like our system **** it up fairly regularly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2024, 2:47 pm Round 2 v Tigers

Zac Hosking 6
Ethan Strange 4
Matt Timoko 1
Jamal Fogarty 1
That's pretty close to my POTY votes. Did the judges actually watched the game? :shock:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 18, 2024, 6:46 pm The only MVP vote in recent memory i think the NBA or NFL have got wrong was the Russell Westbrook MVP.
And these awards go to players of small markets all the time

Jokic (Denver), Antetokounmpo (Milwaukee), Westbrook (Oklahoma City)
Mahomes (Kanas City), Rodgers (Green Bay), Jackson (Baltimore)

There is definitely power bases. It's why every talk show in NFL season will lead off with a segment about the Cowboys, it's why two teams moved to LA where there is no fan base... it's why the Giants and Jets get talked about more than teams of their relevance should. Big markets and tiffany franchises are definitely given massive national media coverage advantages.
But they dont **** up the MVPs often. I feel like our system **** it up fairly regularly.
I think my point is, there is basically one, maybe two, centres of power in the NRL. That’s not the case in the USA in any sport, as there are a lot of large teams in different geographic locations. In the NRL. It’s all Sydney. And pretty much nothing else apart from the Broncos.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Round 3 v Warriors

Tohu Harris 6
Matt Timoko 2
Jordan Rapana 2
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 1
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 1

Canberra Raiders Dally M points after Round 3

Zac Hosking 8
Jamal Fogarty 5
Ethan Strange 4
Matt Timoko 4
Joseph Tapine 3
Morgan Smithies 2
Jordan Rapana 2

Dally M Leaderboard after Round 3

12 points
Nicho Hynes (Sharks)

11 points
James Tedesco (Roosters)

10 points
Ryan Papenhuyzen (Storm)
Tom Trbojevic (Sea Eagles)

8 points
Zac Hosking (Raiders)

7 points
Kalyn Ponga (Knights)
Luke Brooks (Sea Eagles)
Viliame Kikau (Bulldogs)

6 points
Api Koroisau (Tigers)
Bryce Cartwright (Eels)
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow (Dolphins)
Izack Tago (Panthers)
Mitch Moses (Eels)
Tohu Harris (Warriors)
Nathan Cleary (Panthers)
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

There is no way Nicho Hynes should be leading the Dally M's
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

What a **** ridiculous system they've come up with.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I just had to check NHynes didn’t get points the other night v Tigers.

With this system you never know.

He stunk real bad.

More of that on Sund Nico..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:What a **** ridiculous system they've come up with.
The fact they've somehow managed to make a **** system worse is quite impressive

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Tohu Harris was definitely not the Warriors player causing us headaches.