Total votes: 12

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2024 Round 2 v Tigers: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:12 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:11 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:09 pm Honestly Whitehead can't just walk into the starting 13. Hosking's has been brilliant . He has to retain the right side 2nd row position.
Smithies is our lock , which means Horse moves to the front row. Guler to drop out.

We are developing into a good team , we have strong platform with our forwards , they have started the year fit.
Exciting days ahead
It is a big worry how Whitehead and Hors will be brought in
Horse for Guler is easy.
Whitehead is the worry.
Agree but I’m slightly concerned Rick might put Hors to 13 and keep Guler
Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:09 pm Honestly Whitehead can't just walk into the starting 13. Hosking's has been brilliant . He has to retain the right side 2nd row position.
Smithies is our lock , which means Horse moves to the front row. Guler to drop out.

We are developing into a good team , we have strong platform with our forwards , they have started the year fit.
Exciting days ahead
Horse for Guler is easy.
Whitehead is the worry.
Agree. In this pack, Guler is plodder class. Unfortunate because he has improved a bit, but I still don't know what he offers that Mooney doesn't.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:

Exciting days ahead
Horse for Guler is easy.
Whitehead is the worry.
Mooney had over 200 yards for NSW Cup today, he should be playing FG next week in Guler's spot
Hors comes back next week, he’ll be straight in for Guler, which was probably always the plan anyway

Mooney is going to have to force Saulo or Mariota out
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:13 pm

Exciting days ahead
Horse for Guler is easy.
Whitehead is the worry.
Mooney had over 200 yards for NSW Cup today, he should be playing FG next week in Guler's spot
200+ impressive! Mind you’d I’d take him over Guler if he only makes 80 as long as he doesn’t drop every 2nd touch
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:15 pm
Botman wrote:

Exciting days ahead
Horse for Guler is easy.
Whitehead is the worry.
Hors comes back next week, he’ll be straight in for Guler, which was probably always the plan anyway

Mooney is going to have to force Saulo or Mariota out
Ah ****, for some reason I thought Hors was out until week 4.
Yeah, then i guess it's hors for Guler... should be Mooney for Saulo but i dont expect that to be the case :(
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2024, 3:49 pm I’ve been super impressed by the way this referee has conducted himself. He hasn’t got every decision right, but he’s reffed a good game, and stayed in control.
I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic mate. I thought it was a poorly officiated game.

I need to watch the game again to give some analysis but for me Hosking played really well. Timoko was amazing and just seem to do without breaking a sweat. Our front row was very good too. Paps and Taps laid a great platform.
The Ang
Peter Jackson

Post by The Ang »

Exciting days ahead
Horse for Guler is easy.
Whitehead is the worry.
He’ll be named at no.24 again and go run another 200m+ in cup next week because Guler will never be dropped
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Re: Hosking and coaching favourites

Post by Billy Walker »

Just another easy 138m from Hoppa
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Raoul Duke wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:12 pm
Wiki Special wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:11 pm
Raoul Duke wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:05 pm This Ethan Strange kid has the goods, Hosking is excellent, Jamal looks to have the platform to make his kicking game shine - I haven't been this excited about our future in quite a while.

How about Sezer still arguing with Rapa at the end of the game about whether his shot was high...hit him on the chin!

Aside from Api carving us up for a short period of time in the first, it was another good performance.

Despite everything, I still have a soft spot for Jonneh...you can't say the man doesn't give everything for his team and he was absolutely critical to our Grand Final appearance.
I agree on Strange 100%.

And I also have a soft spot for Bateman. Different type of player but I get the feeling Smithies brings similar qualities to our team.
He was the only one in that Tigers line ready to take that hit up after the last scrum, knowing we'd give him the business. Tough SOB, hopefully he has an influence on some of the younger guys at that club because the Tigers really need it.
I'm sure I'll be in the minority but if I'm picking a 17 for a Raiders all time team for all the marbles in the Universe he's in my 17 without question.

For those commenting on Galvin, he absolutely has what it takes in my opinion also.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The Ang wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:17 pm

Exciting days ahead
Horse for Guler is easy.
Whitehead is the worry.
He’ll be named at no.24 again and go run another 200m+ in cup next week because Guler will never be dropped
-PJ- wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:06 pm
Azza wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:05 pm We aren’t missing Wighton one bit
Who ?
The guy that used to hoof it into row 6
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Post by Regs Revolution »

Check this out. On the league live app:

Savage 6 runs, 64 metres
Kris 6 runs, 64 metres

4 tackles each
3 tackle breaks each
1 try assist each
2 line breaks by Savage
2 line break assists by Kris

I’m hoping the formation of something special.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

In some positive news for the Tigers they have kept the babe in the coaches box.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

kiwi raider wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:19 pm

Horse for Guler is easy.
Whitehead is the worry.
Who ?
The same guy who’s been crabbing sideways, running his wingers out of space and kicking out on the full.

Yeah we are missing him.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Horsburgh for Guler is a no brainer. Whitehead to bench for Saulo is probably the other move we see too - but who knows with Stuart?
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2024, 3:58 pm Two weeks in a row I’ve been excited to watch the game, and both weeks I haven’t been disappointed. This truly does seem like a new era of Raiders football

I honestly don’t care if this team, playing this way, doesn’t even up making the 8. I just love the way they’re going about they’re craft in both attack AND defence

It’s just really nice to be enjoying my footy again
Exactly my thoughts, Guler needs to make way for horse next week and Mooney needs a bench spot before the dogs come sniffing
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

-PJ- wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:22 pm

Horse for Guler is easy.
Whitehead is the worry.
Who ?
The same guy who’s been crabbing sideways, running his wingers out of space and kicking out on the full.

Yeah we are missing him.
I'm happy to see the back end of him, now this team can play to its potential
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

The Nickman wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:03 pm This really seems like it could’ve been a post in the game day thread rather than a new thread in itself

It’s just a bunch of barely connected ramblings and musings
It could have but it isn’t.

Much like your post could have just not been written to avoid wasting everyone’s time ;).
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Wiki Special wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:22 pm Horsburgh for Guler is a no brainer. Whitehead to bench for Saulo is probably the other move we see too - but who knows with Stuart?
I dont think whitehead deserves to come back if I'm being honest. But it will happen and I agree with what you're saying here.

Hors in for Saulo if it was up to me.
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

I also thought Horse was round 4. He comes straight in for Guler. His errors and penalties and lack of any impact is easy to see and shows statistically. On the other hand, Ata passes both the eye test and statistics (over 100+ run metres in 9 runs). As others have said, I’d go Mooney over Saulo but

Paps, Taps, Horse, Ata and Mooney/Saulo is a pack and a half.

Throw in Hosking, Smithies and Young and it’s a belter.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

If the only objectionable selections Ricky makes are a winger and second rower, he's doing well.

There are always one or two selections that can be quibbled over and that includes when we were winning premierships.

All coaches and organisations have 'favourites'.
Last edited by Sleek the Elite on March 16, 2024, 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Neeeegz wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:24 pm

Who ?

Yeah we are missing him.
We just need more creativity in attack. I would oriente our attack around better structure and plays. Running better lines.

We arent doing enough line breaks. No point leaning on what we saw today.

Ill say this about Tigers, they have potential but simply dont put effort across 80m in all aspects of the game.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Northern Raider wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:05 pm If Hosking gets dropped for Whitehead I'll write something angry on the internet.
:roflmao
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Mission accomplished - 2 competition points. Another good early season performance by the Raiders. With the ball the Raiders forwards did very well and Fog constantly kicked the ball into positions to make it difficult for the Tigers. Without the ball we were loose in the middle and they got their 2 tries because of it.

Seb Kris failing his HIA means there will be a selection change for next week. Maybe Hoppa to center again and Cotric on the wing?

Hosking and Fog had wonderful games as did Timoko, Taps, Papa and Strange. Warriors next up in NZ.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Who ?

Yeah we are missing him.
The amount of carry on at the start of the Jack Wighton thread when I dared to suggest we should pause for thought before seeking to resign him. :nooo
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

Hopoate over Cotric and Whitehead's return to first grade are not egregious selections. They're reasonable.

Just be happy we're winning, Hosking is playing great and Hopoate is doing his job.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

There is something incredibly refreshing about this team.

As someone said earlier, we may not even make the 8 and on paper we might have a more unsuccessful year than last year.

But I have derived more enjoyment from our first two rounds this season than from all of last season.

It might be proving the merits of making sure you have healthy turnover every year so things dont get stale.

Whatever it is, Keep going, I am loving it.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on March 16, 2024, 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Up The Milk
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

benda wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:24 pm
Wiki Special wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:22 pm Horsburgh for Guler is a no brainer. Whitehead to bench for Saulo is probably the other move we see too - but who knows with Stuart?
I dont think whitehead deserves to come back if I'm being honest. But it will happen and I agree with what you're saying here.

Hors in for Saulo if it was up to me.
I think Emre needs to go. Pasami was actually quiet good today.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:31 pm There is something incredibly refreshing about this team.

As someone said earlier, we may not even make the 8 and on paper we might have a more unsuccessful year than last year.

But I have derived more enjoyment from our first two rounds this season than from all of last season.

Keep going, I am loving it.
Agree - to throw a spanner in the works, what would you do if Sanders was granted an early release? Fog is really playing good footy.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Who ?

Yeah we are missing him.
Jack was so rocks and diamonds. I'm glad we didn't pay him over the million to stay.

Raoul Duke
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papalii

Post by Raoul Duke »

Saulo still isn't bending the line, he revs up but just doesn't seem to be able to handle the initial contact like our other forwards.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Every coach does have his favourite.

Bennett and Mark Nicholls, for example

benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Raoul Duke wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:34 pm Saulo still isn't bending the line, he revs up but just doesn't seem to be able to handle the initial contact like our other forwards.
I think he needs to build more core strength.
Bloody_Burnham
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

Has to be Horse and Mooney on the bench next week for Guler and Saulo. If Kris isn't right then Schiller to the wing or centres.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

benda wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:36 pm
Raoul Duke wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:34 pm Saulo still isn't bending the line, he revs up but just doesn't seem to be able to handle the initial contact like our other forwards.
I think he needs to build more core strength.
That’s true, I’ve been working in my core strength and Mrs PJ couldn’t be happier.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

RedRaider wrote: March 16, 2024, 4:28 pm Mission accomplished - 2 competition points. Another good early season performance by the Raiders. With the ball the Raiders forwards did very well and Fog constantly kicked the ball into positions to make it difficult for the Tigers. Without the ball we were loose in the middle and they got their 2 tries because of it.

Seb Kris failing his HIA means there will be a selection change for next week. Maybe Hoppa to center again and Cotric on the wing?

Hosking and Fog had wonderful games as did Timoko, Taps, Papa and Strange. Warriors next up in NZ.
I thought they only get stood down for a cat 1? Was it confirmed it was cat 1?