All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

The I was wrong about Danny Levi thread

Post by Joshjacksonshead »

Good morning friends, :D

Now the title should say it all , granted it’s early days yet but all the signs are pointing to yet another Ricky master stroke, Danny bounced back from the worst jaw injury I’ve seen since my last boxing victory , man it’s like some of you guys enjoyed death riding him into the dust last year , there were notable exceptions, who also got ran down and called big names, but now penance is due , so friends which one of you is going to be an actual man and confess you were wrong, about your hot take on Danny Levi? Go !
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Re: The I was wrong about Danny Levi thread

Post by gangrenous »

Swallow. Summer.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I was wrong! I constantly said he was going to be very good for us. But I can see now it’s actually really looking like he’s going to be great for us. He only scored a 6 through Green Eyes for his game the other night, so he obviously has some work to do to win over all the supporters.
The Ang
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by The Ang »

It was his best game for us, and with consistency I’ll happily say I was wrong. I’ll sit on it until we’re mid way through the season
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Welcome back JJH. How's Newcastle treating you?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I was right about Danny Levi.

He's not up to nrl standard, 1 dive over try in an otherwise poor performance doesn't glaze over the poor service from dummy half or stupid penalties.

The issue is we have 4 hookers on the books who are not good enough, being the best hooker at this club is not the benchmark

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The I was wrong about Danny Levi thread

Post by The Nickman »

I left that game thinking he had a good game, but before he scored his opportunistic (yet fantastic) try, I’m fairly certain I was cursing him on several occasions, most notably being the “strip”.

So is his performance being overblown due to a single try? Hard to tell.

Did the team look better once Starling was on? Also hard to tell, because momentum is a thing too. We certainly never looked like losing in the last 20.

I’m happy for Levi to keep the 9 for the next few weeks at least. Hopefully he can build on that performance, the team keeps winning and he puts the question to bed. It’s entirely in his hands.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I predict we’ll soon need an “I was wrong about being wrong about Danny Levi” thread.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

His first half was littered with penalties and low iq options.
Trying too hard to get out and engage markers and create something when he’s not good enough or talented enough to do that

2nd half he seemed to focus more on getting the ball out and sticking to his very limited game.
He can play minutes, tackle and he can barge over close to the line with a power run. Stick to those things and he might hang on to the job, which is a statement on our hooker stocks

Over 100 games, 4 clubs and 8 seasons he’s so far shown himself to be not up to NRL standards. If he changes that this year, great, but that one single 20 minutes of football isn’t overriding 8 years of evidence for me.
Let’s see where he’s at in round 10-12
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Hilariously weird victory lap this one.

It will prove to be as premature as some of your bedroom performances JJH
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

what premature ejaculation looks like as a thread...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

What was the kick before half time about?

I thought he did a passable job otherwise... so to speak.

Consistent service and decent defence is the starting point for any NRL hooker. He ticked that box on Thursday.

Then we can talk about good decision making, ability to engage the line at appropriate times, and maybe even being able to accurately send a ball two passes wide of the ruck. I could do without the kicking.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Nickman wrote: March 9, 2024, 7:38 am I left that game thinking he had a good game, but before he scored his opportunistic (yet fantastic) try, I’m fairly certain I was cursing him on several occasions, most notably being the “strip”.

Did the team look better once Starling was on? Also hard to tell, because momentum is a thing too. We certainly never looked like losing in the last 20.

I’m happy for Levi to keep the 9 for the next few weeks at least. Hopefully he can build on that performance, the team keeps winning and he puts the question to bed. It’s entirely in his hands.
After he scored his try he limped off in the 56th minute. The Raiders then scored tries in the 63rd, 69th and 79th minutes. So of our 5 tries 3 were scored when he was off the field. The poor dumb kick in the dying seconds of the first half gave the ball back to the Knights and they kicked ahead to give themselves an opportunity to lead at half time. Yes Levy recovered the ball, but none of his team mates knew he was going to kick it because there was no Raider player chase and he made a poor job of it. Early in the second half he then attempted a 'three in a tackle' strip and gave away an unnecessary penalty. A good try off the back of the Saulo quick play the ball, but not much else stood out imo.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We ain't going anywhere near a comp with Levi as our no 9.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 9, 2024, 7:38 am I left that game thinking he had a good game, but before he scored his opportunistic (yet fantastic) try, I’m fairly certain I was cursing him on several occasions, most notably being the “strip”.

After he scored his try he limped off in the 56th minute. The Raiders then scored tries in the 63rd, 69th and 79th minutes. So of our 5 tries 3 were scored when he was off the field. The poor dumb kick in the dying seconds of the first half gave the ball back to the Knights and they kicked ahead to give themselves an opportunity to lead at half time. Yes Levy recovered the ball, but none of his team mates knew he was going to kick it because there was no Raider player chase and he made a poor job of it. Early in the second half he then attempted a 'three in a tackle' strip and gave away an unnecessary penalty. A good try off the back of the Saulo quick play the ball, but not much else stood out imo.
passing at neck high stood out

Edrick The Entertainer
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

The dude is fine.

The peanuts on here just think that every hooker needs to be Cam Smith.
We've had two guys battle it out and neither have solidified the position.

Levi is a tough bugger and does the hard work. He must also smash it off field to be held in such high esteem within the club walls.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Woolford looked good in cup running from dummy half, engaging the markers and selecting the correct option. Noted it was just highlights but he would still be my first choice given the info we have available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Let's not jump to concusions after Round 1 and revisit this thread after Levi has played over 100 games in the NRL and we know what kind of player he is....wait....
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Apart from the try he scored, he also saved a try but putting himself in the right position that ensured the bunker had to overturn a Newcastle 6 pointer. Very smart play that. He’s our best 9 by the length of the straight, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- he is going to be very good for us. Sit back and enjoy the show.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Glenn Buttriss had good games occasionally and he **** sucked

Put it away

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Rick wrote:Woolford looked good in cup running from dummy half, engaging the markers and selecting the correct option. Noted it was just highlights but he would still be my first choice given the info we have available.

Woolford (to my eyes and ears) seems to be one of those guys who’s a ‘match fitness player’.

He doesn’t match others in the pre season gym, but builds his fitness as the season goes on.

I still predict plenty of NRL for him this season if he gets rid of those occasional lazy lapses and focuses on further developing his skills, quick pass and right option taking.

Plenty of good footballers were poorer trainers than they were players.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Yeah nah
I've seen enough of Levi's career, playing in the NRL to know what type of player he is.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: March 9, 2024, 11:56 am Apart from the try he scored, he also saved a try but putting himself in the right position that ensured the bunker had to overturn a Newcastle 6 pointer. Very smart play that. He’s our best 9 by the length of the straight, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- he is going to be very good for us. Sit back and enjoy the show.
It's a very short straight then.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I was mashing out a “get Danny Levi the *****” off the field” post just before his try.

And it wasn’t because I want him to fail. I woukd love nothing more than for him to steer us a premiership. But he was putting together boneheaded low IQ plays which decent hookers have no business making.

Laughable to be doing victory laps after not much more than 1 decent play in a round one game.
Up The Milk
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Mickey_Raider wrote:I was mashing out a “get Danny Levi the *****” off the field” post just before his try.

And it wasn’t because I want him to fail. I woukd love nothing more than for him to steer us a premiership. But he was putting together boneheaded low IQ plays which decent hookers have no business making.

Laughable to be doing victory laps after not much more than 1 decent play in a round one game.
exactly the same, my brain was Jesus wept get starlo on then Levi scored

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I was watching Harry Grant last night, and wondering whether he would be regarded as the number one player in the game by the end of this year? Wow what a game from him. He would look great in green but we don't need him with our Danny playing so well.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

BJ wrote: March 9, 2024, 12:06 pm
Rick wrote:Woolford looked good in cup running from dummy half, engaging the markers and selecting the correct option. Noted it was just highlights but he would still be my first choice given the info we have available.

Woolford (to my eyes and ears) seems to be one of those guys who’s a ‘match fitness player’.

He doesn’t match others in the pre season gym, but builds his fitness as the season goes on.

I still predict plenty of NRL for him this season if he gets rid of those occasional lazy lapses and focuses on further developing his skills, quick pass and right option taking.

Plenty of good footballers were poorer trainers than they were players.
You might be right. I’m firmly in the Woolford for 9 camp but I keep thinking why didn’t he show up to camp in the best shape ever?

Those good players who were poor trainers were normally guys whose place in the team was locked in.

Woolford knew he was in a battle with two other guys the coach rates. If it were me, I’d have done extras and come in ready to smash every drill. Woolford might never get to Levi levels of fitness but he could’ve demonstrated a desire to get there.

From what we’ve heard, it seems like Woolford half-arsed it. And that would piss me off if I were the head coach.

Happy to be corrected, of course.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:Glenn Buttriss had good games occasionally and he **** sucked

Put it away

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Hahahaha no he absolutely did not
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

bonehead wrote:
Mickey_Raider wrote:I was mashing out a “get Danny Levi the *****” off the field” post just before his try.

And then Starlo came on and we scored three tries

Seems to me that most of this thread is people responding to a troll who has no other ammo now the broncos are last and the raiders are looking good
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

The Nickman wrote: March 9, 2024, 10:20 pm
bonehead wrote:

And then Starlo came on and we scored three tries

Seems to me that most of this thread is people responding to a troll who has no other ammo now the broncos are last and the raiders are looking good
Big guy you know you can’t respond to someone you are cowering from. Typical bully coward behaviour
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

He scored a try.
The team won.
How does this make us wrong about Levi?
You can be a career 15-19 best hooker in Australia and get a gig. There's 17 teams now after all. There's only 1 starting position per team, so you can be be the best at a club and still the worst starter in the comp.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Billy Walker wrote: March 9, 2024, 11:56 am Apart from the try he scored, he also saved a try but putting himself in the right position that ensured the bunker had to overturn a Newcastle 6 pointer. Very smart play that. He’s our best 9 by the length of the straight, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- he is going to be very good for us. Sit back and enjoy the show.
I looked at this. It is about the 23rd minute of the first half. Fog launches a clearing kick which is taken by Ponga. He bursts through the Smithies/Strange tackle and is into the backfield. Levy has eyes for Ponga as he moves across in a desperate attempt to get to Ponga. Frizell is not onside from the Fog clearing kick. Levy runs into Frizell. Lucky for the Raiders that Frizell was slow to get back on side.
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

You are an idiot. He didn’t save us a try. Ponga absolutely cooked him and we were extremely lucky for it to get called back.

:lol: Sit back and enjoy the show for the dude with the worst loss % in the game.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

It’s funny how Billy used to rag on Croker all the time for having a poor win/loss record in his career (still just over 50% win). His boy Danny Levi has a 24% win record yet he waxes lyrical about him as if he’s one of the best hookers in the game. Poor old Billy and his ludicrously contrarian opinions show him to be nothing more than a blithering hypocrite :roflmao
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Post by Regs Revolution »

Why does this thread exist?

His game was a solid 6/6.5 out of 10.

11 runs for 40 metres.
2 penalties and an error.

If he is our 9 for the coming weeks/months, he needs to be a lot better. I think he can be. But let’s see.