15%

Total votes: 27

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Re: 2024 Rd 2 v Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by The Nickman »

Azza wrote: March 12, 2024, 6:09 pm
mikeraider wrote: March 12, 2024, 6:08 pm Oh no not Hoppa over Crotric wonder how that decision was made, hopefully doesn't cost us the game even v Tigers we should win, it only shows that Crotric leaving to the dogs last time must have hit a nerve in raiders selection team.
Excellent analysis, couldn't agree more.
Yeah agreed, as usual mike's got his finger on the button.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Surely once you re-sign the guy, all is forgiven.

Although it would be the most Ricky thing ever to re-sign a player just so you could spend 3 years expressing your disappointment in them at close range.

I'm in the "Cotric is a better option" camp but Hoppa played well. I guess it is Ricky's stubborn never change a team until it loses, never move a player on until they are well past busted philosophy.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

All reports are the club was held no grudges on that and understood it was an offer he simply could not refuse

They happily took him back and he's mostly played when healthy... this is just a simple case of Stuart believing Hoppa is the better player. How he or anyone with two functioning eyes and who watches the games can come that POV i can't really say, but I am certain his decision to take the Dogs money is not a contributing factor.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

It’s baloney to think that Cotric isn’t selected cause of what has happened in the past. By that admission, Hosking shouldn’t ever play. Debunked right there.

I can’t see why Hoppa is chosen over Cotric. Personally, I see more upside with the latter in the team. But if you want Hoppa anywhere, it’s wing.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

And there’s always the chance that Cotric actually does play and Hoppa is 18th.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hopoate was selected over Cotric 3 times last year. Round 12, 19 and 21. Hopoate played no NSW cup games last year. That is much more one sided than I was expecting.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I dunno, Sticky can be petty. When it comes down to a 50/50 choice between the guy who’s a battler, wants to be here, and seriously considered missing his sisters wedding due to fears he’d lose his spot, over a guy who left a GF team to sign for wooden spooners for cash, I can’t help but feel that Sticky would favour Hoppa in that scenario. If you can say one thing about Sticky, the man can hold a grudge.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

The mental aerobics and shark jumping that is occurring here is really impressive. Some people thought Cotric was a better option than Hoppa. I didn’t and neither did Ricky. That may all change next week, but it is what it is this week and it’s hilarious watching people try to justify that it isn’t what it is. :roflmao
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Given it's Sticky, I don't think any particular reason is needed for why he picks Hoppa. He likes a project player, Valemei etc, and Hoppa is the current one. It wouldn't hurt if he's a family and community guy etc which Sticky likes

Even Savage, I don't think he's done more than Schiller to earn a spot. He was decent to strong last year in Cup. But Sticky has seemingly had a plan/project to make him the winger, and now it's his turn
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I think Cotric left for "lifestyle reasons" and not cash. His dogs deal was supposed to be lower than the Raiders in the end.

If Ricky really cared about that he would be gone already. Look how quick he offloaded BJ once he wasn't a fan or Edrick after he dropped that footy.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 13, 2024, 2:00 pm The mental aerobics and shark jumping that is occurring here is really impressive. Some people thought Cotric was a better option than Hoppa. I didn’t and neither did Ricky. That may all change next week, but it is what it is this week and it’s hilarious watching people try to justify that it isn’t what it is. :roflmao
You know what's also hilarious? Picking reserve-grade level plodders as your favourites every year just to be a contrarian troll. Oh wait, it isn't...
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Hoppa's not a winger. He's not fast enough to be a winger and he's not good in the air. Wingers have pace.

Happy to see Hoppa do well, but if Cotric is not the answer then I'd like to see Asomua be given the chance or Schiller. Schiller's not a strong defender or super quick like Savage, but he has the smarts and can finish (e.g. Melbourne Storm game at AAMI in 2022).
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

NoMan wrote: March 13, 2024, 2:07 pm I think Cotric left for "lifestyle reasons" and not cash. His dogs deal was supposed to be lower than the Raiders in the end.
It absolutely 100% was not.
The Raiders were very clear, as was the reporting. The dogs were offering significantly more than us.
IIRC we stood firm at around 500k a year, the dogs end up paying about 650k for him.
Hence when he came back the first two years they were kicking in significant freight (i think it was reported as being 200k each first two years) on his deal

This is the first year since his return that the Raiders are paying the entirety of his contract
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

NoMan wrote: March 13, 2024, 2:07 pm I think Cotric left for "lifestyle reasons" and not cash. His dogs deal was supposed to be lower than the Raiders in the end.

If Ricky really cared about that he would be gone already. Look how quick he offloaded BJ once he wasn't a fan or Edrick after he dropped that footy.
Ricky burns players he believes cost him. Edrick cost us in 2016. BJ cost us in 2019. Cotric didn't lose a big game for us, so it's different.

I also believe Cotric signed with the dogs for about $650k and we were only offering about $500k. I think in the end he said he would have stayed if the Raiders offered $50k more, but it didn't happen. I doubt he went there for less, only to come straight back.

Wighton definitely went for less for "lifestyle" reasons.

* EDIT: Fair go it all, Botman beat me to it! At least our figures match up!
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Finchy wrote: March 13, 2024, 1:17 pm I dunno, Sticky can be petty. When it comes down to a 50/50 choice between the guy who’s a battler, wants to be here, and seriously considered missing his sisters wedding due to fears he’d lose his spot, over a guy who left a GF team to sign for wooden spooners for cash, I can’t help but feel that Sticky would favour Hoppa in that scenario. If you can say one thing about Sticky, the man can hold a grudge.
That's nonsense, inkee. Ricky almost left us for the Roosters in 95 for more money.

It was Ricky who convinced Cotric to return.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

dubby wrote: March 13, 2024, 2:23 pm
Finchy wrote: March 13, 2024, 1:17 pm I dunno, Sticky can be petty. When it comes down to a 50/50 choice between the guy who’s a battler, wants to be here, and seriously considered missing his sisters wedding due to fears he’d lose his spot, over a guy who left a GF team to sign for wooden spooners for cash, I can’t help but feel that Sticky would favour Hoppa in that scenario. If you can say one thing about Sticky, the man can hold a grudge.
That's nonsense, inkee. Ricky almost left us for the Roosters in 95 for more money.

It was Ricky who convinced Cotric to return.
He might be a hypocrite too, who knows? All I know is, Ricky holds grudges and is very petty. Recent ex-Raiders have said once he's off you, he's off you. Ricky has also said publicly he want players that want to be Raiders. That's why he didn't want Hosking after he turned him down the first time.

I have no doubt Ricky wanted Cotric back, but can't help but think he still feels betrayed that he left in the first place. Like the husband that gets back the cheating spouse, but the relationship has changed and the trust is gone.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Ask Jaeman Salmon about Rick’s ability to hold a petty grudge, for a decade if necessary!
Choc Magic
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Choc Magic »

If any winger gets dropped from first grade, does that make Jed Stuart a second rower in cup?

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I think it's as simple as Sticky wants a metre eater and Hoppa is that. You will get that and nothing else. Ricky wants a Brad Clyde in the sense he's first back there to take the 1st ruck up .
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Rickmando wrote: March 13, 2024, 2:35 pm Ask Jaeman Salmon about Rick’s ability to hold a petty grudge, for a decade if necessary!
Define petty? For emotional abuse to a family member? Would that be classed as petty in your book? A century wouldn’t pass where I wouldn’t torment the accused.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 13, 2024, 3:36 pm
Rickmando wrote: March 13, 2024, 2:35 pm Ask Jaeman Salmon about Rick’s ability to hold a petty grudge, for a decade if necessary!
Define petty? For emotional abuse to a family member? Would that be classed as petty in your book? A century wouldn’t pass where I wouldn’t torment the accused.
You’d hold a grudge against a child? For immature words spoken?

Yeah sorry Reg, as an adult you have an opportunity to educate, or turn the other cheek, or take the high road. If you still feel aggrieved - take it up with the kid’s parents.

So yes, I’d say bottling up a decade of rage about the actions of a 12 year old kid is fairly petty (and seriously unhealthy).
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 13, 2024, 12:42 pm And there’s always the chance that Cotric actually does play and Hoppa is 18th.
I'd love a round 2 smokescreen! For no apparent benefit. Imagine the Tigers just tearing their hair out and having to hastily redraw all their plans because we run out Cotric instead of Hoppa! Scenes!
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Rickmando wrote: March 13, 2024, 3:44 pm
Regs Revolution wrote: March 13, 2024, 3:36 pm
You’d hold a grudge against a child? For immature words spoken?

Yeah sorry Reg, as an adult you have an opportunity to educate, or turn the other cheek, or take the high road. If you still feel aggrieved - take it up with the kid’s parents.

So yes, I’d say bottling up a decade of rage about the actions of a 12 year old kid is fairly petty (and seriously unhealthy).
Who said anything about a child? He’s a grown adult. A tiger never changes their stripes. Once an ordinary human being, always will be. It’s not about holding the grudge for a decade. Not sure if you have kids, but if you do and they were emotional tormented by someone and now they’re an adult, would you just let it slide? Some people have different values. I have zero respect or tolerance for that behavior, especially for my own. I’m sure he hasn’t sat there and stewed about it for the last decade, but if that person crosses paths, they’ll be given a serve and rightly so. Trying to insinuate that he’s held onto it for that long is wild speculation.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Hoppa v Cotric is like a modern day iteration of the famous Buttriss v Waddell debates.

Everyone picks a side and passionately argues the case as to who is less average.

You could probably argue until you’re blue in the face who has the higher ceiling but it is a bit worrying for Nic that even team Cotric guys like myself can’t muster up the enthusiasm to go in to bat for him too much based on current output.
Up The Milk
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Ask Siebold and Demetriou about a grudge

Ask Wayne Bennett about grudges.

Ask Cooper Cronk and Cam Smith bout grudges.

Fair dinkum.

And Salmon was not 12.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

BadnMean wrote: March 13, 2024, 3:53 pm
Regs Revolution wrote: March 13, 2024, 12:42 pm And there’s always the chance that Cotric actually does play and Hoppa is 18th.
I'd love a round 2 smokescreen! For no apparent benefit. Imagine the Tigers just tearing their hair out and having to hastily redraw all their plans because we run out Cotric instead of Hoppa! Scenes!
Thank you for contributing absolutely nothing. :lol:
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

dubby wrote: March 13, 2024, 4:27 pm

Fair dinkum.

And Salmon was not 12.
Calm down dubs, no-one is arguing that others don’t also hold grudges.

And Salmon would have been 10 or 11 by my estimation. Not sure that makes it better.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Finchy wrote:
dubby wrote: March 13, 2024, 4:27 pm

Fair dinkum.

And Salmon was not 12.
Calm down dubs, no-one is arguing that others don’t also hold grudges.

And Salmon would have been 10 or 11 by my estimation. Not sure that makes it better.
Finchy that’s 77 in dog years. Salmon should have been more mature. Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dark days are over: Savage's fight back to first grade

Set to string together back-to-back NRL games for the first time in over 18 months, Xavier Savage is ready to put the dark days behind him.

“I had a bit of a rough start to pre-season this year. I had a couple of kegs on me, so I came back a bit like a second rower,” Savage joked. “And Stick (Stuart) got into me a bit but it was only for the right reasons because he wanted me to be up there with the other boys. Stick has showed a lot of faith in me through everything, so where he and the team think I best fit, I'm happy with that.”

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/13/dar ... rst-grade/

'One little stuff-up and you might be back in Cup': Hopoate's best to come

Albert Hopoate reckons "one little stuff-up" could cost him an NRL jersey and send him hurtling back to Canberra's NSW Cup team. But healthy competition is bringing the best out of him.

"One little stuff-up and you might be back in Cup. You want to be the best you can be and keep learning so you're keeping that jersey every week. We have good outside backs, good depth and young players coming through. It's a healthy competition, it brings the best out of all of us."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

This Lachlan Galvin straight into NRL after finishing high school last year is a huge ask. I'd be concerned if I was a tigers fan. With a rookie coach (never coached at any level) and he wasn't exactly known for his smarts on the feild. Straight into Papalii and Tapine. This could be a bloodbath.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Dark days are over: Savage's fight back to first grade: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/13/dar ... rst-grade/

Good article, briefly mentions he came back into pre season training overweight and was training at fullback but wasn’t quite getting “there” and is happy on the wing.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: March 13, 2024, 5:49 pm Dark days are over: Savage's fight back to first grade: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/13/dar ... rst-grade/

Good article, briefly mentions he came back into pre season training overweight and was training at fullback but wasn’t quite getting “there” and is happy on the wing.
That’s a nice article and provides a little insight to what’s going on there. The part of “And Stick (Stuart) got into me a bit but it was only for the right reasons because he wanted me to be up there with the other boys” indicates that we will see him there for quite some time.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 13, 2024, 5:31 pm This Lachlan Galvin straight into NRL after finishing high school last year is a huge ask. I'd be concerned if I was a tigers fan. With a rookie coach (never coached at any level) and he wasn't exactly known for his smarts on the feild. Straight into Papalii and Tapine. This could be a bloodbath.
They recruited Sezer at 32 and already it seems like a Round 7 play with a 0-6 win-loss record. I wouldn't have played him so early, but even if they intend to, better to not announce it so the pressure is off but slip him in at the last minute. Sullivan isn't an established FG as well and I don't think he's FG standard.

Benji coached at the end of last year when they effectively sacked Tim Sheens but was unimpressive. Even the likes of Potter at Canterbury and Carr at St George did better as interim coaches.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote:Dark days are over: Savage's fight back to first grade: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/13/dar ... rst-grade/

Good article. Clearly missing the paragraph about the coach having massive issues and hating on him, but interesting nonetheless.

If he and Kris can build a combination it could be something special.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 13, 2024, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Mickey_Raider wrote: March 13, 2024, 4:25 pm Hoppa v Cotric is like a modern day iteration of the famous Buttriss v Waddell debates.

Everyone picks a side and passionately argues the case as to who is less average.

You could probably argue until you’re blue in the face who has the higher ceiling but it is a bit worrying for Nic that even team Cotric guys like myself can’t muster up the enthusiasm to go in to bat for him too much based on current output.
Good post.

Buttriss > Waddell
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.