Tigers 13+
15%

Total votes: 27

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: 2024 Rd 2 v Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Canberra Milk »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: March 13, 2024, 5:49 pm Dark days are over: Savage's fight back to first grade: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/13/dar ... rst-grade/

Good article, briefly mentions he came back into pre season training overweight and was training at fullback but wasn’t quite getting “there” and is happy on the wing.
I wonder what he means by not quite getting there at fullback, given it was only training

I think we'll see the best of him at wing once Chevy is fullback, if he can keep his spot until then. Even Chevy's assist for Schiller on the weekend (Schiller did most of the work, but still), I like how he gets his wingers involved and into space
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'd imagine fitness was the issue at fullback if he came back way over weight.
They would have put a line in the sand at some point in pre-season and shifted to other options.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

If the hoppa cotric argument is the worst thing happening, then good times
First time I've been happy with the team list for years.. we have some first grade ready players in nsw cup...
And, I hope they put a cricket score on the tigers
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 13, 2024, 6:30 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 13, 2024, 5:31 pm This Lachlan Galvin straight into NRL after finishing high school last year is a huge ask. I'd be concerned if I was a tigers fan. With a rookie coach (never coached at any level) and he wasn't exactly known for his smarts on the feild. Straight into Papalii and Tapine. This could be a bloodbath.
They recruited Sezer at 32 and already it seems like a Round 7 play with a 0-6 win-loss record. I wouldn't have played him so early, but even if they intend to, better to not announce it so the pressure is off but slip him in at the last minute. Sullivan isn't an established FG as well and I don't think he's FG standard.

Benji coached at the end of last year when they effectively sacked Tim Sheens but was unimpressive. Even the likes of Potter at Canterbury and Carr at St George did better as interim coaches.
It's an odd one that he hasn't even had to show that he is capable of coaching before getting the job. It's like someone devoid of ideas threw a hail mary and landed Benji.

I just can't see it working. He won a premiership as a player when he was late teens/early 20's off the back of pure talent. He then went on to have a career of very limited success. Struggled and moved from club to club never really controlling a team with any success. Doesn't strike me as a guy who is going to succeed in coaching. Then to read today that he is working very limited hours in comparison to other coaches it's concerning signs for the Tigers.

We should put them to the sword this weekend.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Neeeegz wrote: March 13, 2024, 7:34 pm If the hoppa cotric argument is the worst thing happening, then good times
First time I've been happy with the team list for years.. we have some first grade ready players in nsw cup...
It's round 1 and this is the GH. You can rest assured there will be more inane arguments within the next few weeks.
Joshjacksonshead
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Joshjacksonshead »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 13, 2024, 7:41 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 13, 2024, 5:31 pm This Lachlan Galvin straight into NRL after finishing high school last year is a huge ask. I'd be concerned if I was a tigers fan. With a rookie coach (never coached at any level) and he wasn't exactly known for his smarts on the feild. Straight into Papalii and Tapine. This could be a bloodbath.
They recruited Sezer at 32 and already it seems like a Round 7 play with a 0-6 win-loss record. I wouldn't have played him so early, but even if they intend to, better to not announce it so the pressure is off but slip him in at the last minute. Sullivan isn't an established FG as well and I don't think he's FG standard.

Benji coached at the end of last year when they effectively sacked Tim Sheens but was unimpressive. Even the likes of Potter at Canterbury and Carr at St George did better as interim coaches.
It's an odd one that he hasn't even had to show that he is capable of coaching before getting the job. It's like someone devoid of ideas threw a hail mary and landed Benji.

I just can't see it working. He won a premiership as a player when he was late teens/early 20's off the back of pure talent. He then went on to have a career of very limited success. Struggled and moved from club to club never really controlling a team with any success. Doesn't strike me as a guy who is going to succeed in coaching. Then to read today that he is working very limited hours in comparison to other coaches it's concerning signs for the Tigers.

Hang on - according to like almost everyone, we have the coaching issue :? could they be wrong :?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Joshjacksonshead wrote: March 13, 2024, 7:57 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 13, 2024, 7:41 pm

Hang on - according to like almost everyone, we have the coaching issue :? could they be wrong :?
Apparently our coach holds grudges and makes his selections based on who has historically upset him the least :roflmao Can you believe some of the wild theories on here??? :lol:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

greeneyed wrote: March 13, 2024, 7:48 pm

Lol.Gus begins to talk about "Raider". Co-host gets producer in his ear-piece and quickly steers topic back to Sydney team after <30 seconds of "Raider" content. Gee how about those sharks? I mean "Shark"... I don't need the other hour of the show. I don't think I could stand it.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

BadnMean wrote: March 13, 2024, 8:23 pm Lol.Gus begins to talk about "Raider". Co-host gets producer in his ear-piece and quickly steers topic back to Sydney team after <30 seconds of "Raider" content. Gee how about those sharks? I mean "Shark"... I don't need the other hour of the show. I don't think I could stand it.
I listen to 6 Tackles with Gus every week. Sometimes there's some good content, but it's mostly inane waffle. This episode was particularly poor. Spent the first 15 minutes talking about who was the best tackler ever (snooze), interspersed with cricket, racing, MAFS (on more than one occasion), Ted Lasso, then Gus's tips ... awful stuff.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Why do you listen every week? :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 13, 2024, 8:45 pm
BadnMean wrote: March 13, 2024, 8:23 pm Lol.Gus begins to talk about "Raider". Co-host gets producer in his ear-piece and quickly steers topic back to Sydney team after <30 seconds of "Raider" content. Gee how about those sharks? I mean "Shark"... I don't need the other hour of the show. I don't think I could stand it.
I listen to 6 Tackles with Gus every week. Sometimes there's some good content, but it's mostly inane waffle. This episode was particularly poor. Spent the first 15 minutes talking about who was the best tackler ever (snooze), interspersed with cricket, racing, MAFS (on more than one occasion), Ted Lasso, then Gus's tips ... awful stuff.
So it’s inane waffle but you listen to it every week. I’m actually not shocked Finchy. You do you bro :roflmao
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

Rickmando wrote: March 13, 2024, 2:35 pm Ask Jaeman Salmon about Rick’s ability to hold a petty grudge, for a decade if necessary!
If you knew the story about the Salmon grudge, you would realise that it is all about loyalty to family. Your hatred of Stuart has you looking in all the wrong places for ammunition to fire at him. It does you no credit.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 13, 2024, 8:50 pm
So it’s inane waffle but you listen to it every week. I’m actually not shocked Finchy. You do you bro :roflmao
As I said, there's some good content sometimes. Baby, bath water, etc etc.

Besides, I'm mostly numb to it thanks to reading your trolling drivel every day :roflmao
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Azza wrote: March 13, 2024, 7:55 pm
Neeeegz wrote: March 13, 2024, 7:34 pm If the hoppa cotric argument is the worst thing happening, then good times
It's round 1 and this is the GH. You can rest assured there will be more inane arguments within the next few weeks.
Days probably. But this is a good team
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:10 pm

Besides, I'm mostly numb to it thanks to reading your trolling drivel every day :roflmao
Sounds like you need to get a bit of Marie Kondo happening in your life - you are holding on to things that don’t bring you joy :roflmao
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:17 pm

Sounds like you need to get a bit of Marie Kondo happening in your life - you are holding on to things that don’t bring you joy :roflmao
That would involving blocking you like many other's do on this forum Billy, you don't spark joy! :roflmao
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:19 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:17 pm

That would involving blocking you like many other's do on this forum Billy, you don't spark joy! :roflmao
If you feel you need to run and hide Finchy you do what you got to do
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Neeeegz wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:16 pm
I was trying to be nice, but yes that timeframe is probably more accurate :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Azza wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:28 pm
Neeeegz wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:16 pm
I was trying to be nice, but yes that timeframe is probably more accurate :lol:
It’s not a good timeframe- weeks is correct, days is crazy. But yes this is a good team.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Cranky Old Man wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:08 pm
Rickmando wrote: March 13, 2024, 2:35 pm Ask Jaeman Salmon about Rick’s ability to hold a petty grudge, for a decade if necessary!
If you knew the story about the Salmon grudge, you would realise that it is all about loyalty to family. Your hatred of Stuart has you looking in all the wrong places for ammunition to fire at him. It does you no credit.
Please don’t talk sense Cranky. It doesn’t belong here.

The irony of Rickmando creating a false agenda of someone harbouring hatred and grudges to push his own agenda being the displeasure of Ricky. This bloke belongs in the Salmon category. Hold on a second… is that you Jaeman?
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 13, 2024, 6:33 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote:Dark days are over: Savage's fight back to first grade: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/13/dar ... rst-grade/

Good article, briefly mentions he came back into pre season training overweight and was training at fullback but wasn’t quite getting “there” and is happy on the wing.
Good article. Clearly missing the paragraph about the coach having massive issues and hating on him, but interesting nonetheless.

If he and Kris can build a combination it could be something special.
Yeah, that’s a pretty big oversight.

I initially misinterpreted the article to mean that Ricky has given Savage a starting spot despite Savage coming back overweight and not being able to nail down the position intended for him. Also that Savage responded well to Ricky’s feedback.

Luckily, I remembered the truth.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Rd 2 v Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Rickmando wrote: March 12, 2024, 2:41 pm If the Tigers pick Starford Toa we should run Sebastian Kris at him all day like a hammer.

The dude is allergic to contact, a complete turnstyle
LOL. I don't think any of their players 1-7 are good defenders. And their forwards are not good defenders close to the line.

The only way they are in the game is if it's high scoring and our defence is not in order.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Regs Revolution wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:39 pm
Cranky Old Man wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:08 pm
Please don’t talk sense Cranky. It doesn’t belong here.

The irony of Rickmando creating a false agenda of someone harbouring hatred and grudges to push his own agenda being the displeasure of Ricky. This bloke belongs in the Salmon category. Hold on a second… is that you Jaeman?
No false agenda.

Here’s what you are both doing:

Condoning the behaviour of an adult, who should know better, who is the self-styled leader of a very well known sporting organisation/brand, and uses this platform to publicly abuse someone who has no right of reply or an equivalent platform to defend the attack on his character.

Whilst simultaneously cutting a 12-year old zero slack - even though there isn’t a 12 year old in the world with enough maturity to fully understand their words and actions at that age. Fellas, I’m not sure why I have to explain that no reasonable person holds children to account for their actions a full decade later once they are in their 20s.

It’s just not how society works. There are kids that age who commit actual crimes - are they supposed to never be forgiven, only to be permanently shunned? Give me a spell
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The actual irony in that situation was that Stuart wanted to make a statement about Salmon's character and all he wound up doing was making a statement about his own.

I've heard a few different versions of the same basic story (as happens in these things, everyone's version they heard is slightly different to the next) and I understand the nature of the words were very hurtful and I understand that particular issue a very sensitive issue for Stuart and his family. But there is a lot of change, growth and development to be done between 12 and being an adult. We allow children the grace to make a lot of mistakes in that road.

For a 57 year old man to behave in that way, over words said by a 12 year old a decade ago was inexcusable. It showed a lot immaturity and childishness from the face of our organisation and resulted in an unprecedented punishment. And I continue to be shocked that adults who should know better continue to try to excuse it.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

You've all just got a bunch of opinions on things you aren't involved in and don't comprehend the emotions.
You're applying your logic and experiences against someone else.

Stop bashing things where there's personal experiences that feed emotions and just focus on the footy.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Love4Noa wrote: March 14, 2024, 10:17 am You've all just got a bunch of opinions on things you aren't involved in and don't comprehend the emotions.

Stop bashing things where there's personal experiences that feed emotions and just focus on the footy.
Like Ricky Stuart should've done?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Education must lift to stop NRL racism: Jamal Fogarty

Canberra halfback Jamal Fogarty says education is crucial to stopping more incidents of racism in the NRL, as the use of language within the competition continues to be put on trial.

“If you don’t know, you don’t know, and that’s being genuine … it’s education, not pointing the finger at this person,” he said. “Obviously, they learned that behaviour or they don’t have an understanding of it. If we can just get a little bit of education around it, because there are some people out there that probably don’t know. That’s the best way forward, if you don’t know, ask questions, get educated on it and we’re going to be a better country for it.”

Read more: https://canberradaily.com.au/education- ... l-fogarty/

'It's pretty poor that in 2024 we're having racist remarks': Fogarty slams racist comments for setting bad example

Canberra Raiders vice-captain Jamal Fogarty has slammed the fact it's 2024 and there are still racist comments being made in the NRL. Fogarty said he hadn't experienced casual racism during his time in the NRL.

"I haven't as an individual, but I think it's pretty poor that in 2024 we're having racist remarks in a game," Fogarty said. "It's education, it's not point the finger at this person. Obviously they've learnt that behaviour or they don't have an understanding of it," Fogarty said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

From the heart: Family and fitness driving Papalii's Raiders resurgence

Joe Tapine reckons Josh Papalii - a 284-game veteran who could become the third Raider to reach 300 matches for the club - is as fit as he's ever seen him.

"I've given myself every chance to play some good footy, which is nice for a change. I'm just more of a healthier 116, 117kg at the moment. Everyone is saying I'm pretty fit but I'm still coming last in fitness, so I don't know how fit they're expecting me to be. I feel good man, I'm just happy away from footy. When my family is happy, I'm happy. I feel like that's when I play my best footy."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Tigers: viewtopic.php?t=36024

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/03 ... -v-tigers/
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Hopoate for Crotic? Does Hoppa have nude photos of Stick or something?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 14, 2024, 12:18 pm Hopoate for Crotic? Does Hoppa have nude photos of Stick or something?
Stuart can't drop him because he went to his sister's wedding.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2024, 12:07 pm
Very impressive Jamal. Clear speaking, confident and looking at the challenges ahead. Now with 81 FG games played he is maturing into the Half Back role nicely. Seems to be a very good bloke too. I know Taps will follow EW in the Captaincy but Jamal will be there to help bring through the next generation. I think they are in good hands.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

The Nickman wrote: March 14, 2024, 12:27 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: March 14, 2024, 12:18 pm Hopoate for Crotic? Does Hoppa have nude photos of Stick or something?
Stuart can't drop him because he went to his sister's wedding.
And he was respectful and well-spoken as a 12 year old
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Ruben Daley wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: March 13, 2024, 6:33 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote:Dark days are over: Savage's fight back to first grade: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/13/dar ... rst-grade/

Good article. Clearly missing the paragraph about the coach having massive issues and hating on him, but interesting nonetheless.

If he and Kris can build a combination it could be something special.
Yeah, that’s a pretty big oversight.

I initially misinterpreted the article to mean that Ricky has given Savage a starting spot despite Savage coming back overweight and not being able to nail down the position intended for him. Also that Savage responded well to Ricky’s feedback.

Luckily, I remembered the truth.
Yeah it's definitely something to look out for!

Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Love4Noa wrote: March 14, 2024, 10:17 am You've all just got a bunch of opinions on things you aren't involved in and don't comprehend the emotions.

Unfortunately, there is no logic here Noa.

We have people generalising and saying that people can change etc which is a load of baloney. Unless there’s someone who knows him personally here and has heard it from his own mouth that he regrets the things that were said and I shouldn't have said them and it’s not who I am, only then will I accept that it’s wrong. Until someone tells me otherwise, sorry guys.

Did Ricky play it right. No. His emotions got the better of him but I see his position.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I've got no view on Ricky's comments one way or the either but it's not a generalization or illogical to say people change, its just a fact that the teenage brain is wired differently to an adult one. The frontal cortex which looks after decision making and impulse control doesn't fully develop until someone is in their mid twenties.

The average 12 year old is basically still running on instinct.