2024 Round 1 v Knights: Game Day

Canberra Raiders v Newcastle Knights
Thursday 7 March, 8:00pm AEDT
Hunter Stadium
NSW Cup: Knights v Raiders, 5:30pm AEDT
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Nine, Fox League Channel 502
Radio coverage: ABC, Mix106.3, 2CC
Weather: Sunny. Light winds becoming east to southeasterly 15 to 25 km/h in the middle of the day then becoming light in the evening. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent Min 19 Max 30

The Canberra Raiders travel to the Hunter for their Round 1 clash with the Newcastle Knights. It is a re-match of the epic Week 1 finals game, which the Raiders lost by just two points in extra time.

Preseason Challenge form: Two trial matches. One win, one loss. Overall, the Raiders trialed pretty well. A young Raiders team beat the Eels first up, 38-16, at Kogarah Jubilee. While the Green Machine lost to the Cowboys in Week 2 of the Preseason Challenge, 36-26, the "A team" won the first half. The "B team" struggled in the second forty. Despite that, they still could have taken out the game, but for a bombed try in the final minutes.

More on Preseason Challenge Week 1: As I saw it

More on Preseason Challenge Week 2: As I saw it

Team news: Raiders centre Sebastian Kris and middle forward Corey Horsburgh are both unavailable due to suspension. Captain Elliott Whitehead is also out for three to four weeks with a calf injury. Jordan Rapana will turn out at fullback, while Ethan Strange has won the battle for the No. 6 jersey. English forward Morgan Smithies will make his debut for the club at lock, while fellow new recruit Zac Hosking will fill in for Whitehead in the second row. Albert Hopoate will start at centre in place of Kris. Joe Tapine has been named captain. The Knights are at close to full strength.

Late changes: Both teams were left unchanged, 1-19, when the squads were reduced on Wednesday night. The Raiders cut Zac Woolford, James Schiller and Trey Mooney from their squad, while the Knights omitted Will Pryce, Brodie Jones and Thomas Cant.

History: Canberra has had a fairly good record against Newcastle, winning 29 of 57 games, with two draws. But the Knights have been more than an irritant lately. The Raiders have won only two of the past eight matches between the clubs.

Canberra lost all three contests last year. In Round 4, the Raiders produced a disappointing performance against the Knights at Hunter Stadium - losing 24-14. The Raiders were even more disappointing in Round 22 at home. The two teams met in Week 1 of the finals at Newcastle, with the Knights firm favourites. However, the Raiders surprised many. Both teams surged at different stages. Canberra forced the match into extra time, scoring late tries to Matt Frawley and Tom Starling. Sadly, a penalty kick decided the instant classic match in the 89th minute.

The Green Machine has posted nine wins from the 26 played between these two clubs at Hunter Stadium. The Raiders have won once and drawn once in the past five matches against the Knights at the venue.

2023 Round 22: Knights 28 defeated Raiders 6

2023 Round 22: Knights 28 defeated Raiders 6

2023 Finals Week 1: Knights 30 defeated Raiders 28

2022 Round 23: Raiders 28 defeated Knights 22

2022 Round 15: Raiders 20 defeated Knights 18

Form: Raiders: LWLLL
Knights: WWWWL

The Raiders finished the 2023 season on a three game losing streak. The Knights were bundled out of the finals by the Warriors in Week 2, losing 40-10 in Auckland. That ended their 10 game winning streak.

Betting: The Knights are $1.41 favourites, with the Raiders paying $2.92. The Raiders have 8.5 points start in the line betting.

Stat attack: The Raiders finished in eighth place on the competition ladder in 2023 - but were ranked in the bottom five teams in both attack and defence. That says a lot about Canberra's determination to win the close contests. But it also highlights how much improvement is needed in their game in 2024. The Knights were close to the best attacking teams in the competition last season - and they weren't too shabby in defence either. They finished the regular season, having conceded an average of three tries per game and ranked fourth for fewest tries conceded. They gave up 12 tries in their two finals matches, however.

2023 Season record: Raiders 13 and 12 (8th, -139), 6 and 7 away
Knights 15 and 10, 1 draw (5th, +147), 10 and 3 at home

Attack: Raiders 21 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 14th on average tries scored
Knights 26 points and 5 tries scored per match, ranked 2nd on average tries scored

Defence: Raiders 26 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 13th for fewest average tries conceded
Knights 23 points and 3 tries conceded per match

Possession: Raiders 49 per cent, Knights 50 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 77 per cent, Knights 76 per cent

Running: Raiders 1588 running metres per match, ranked 15th
Knights 1724 running metres per match, ranked sixth

Tackle breaks: Raiders 32, Knights 42 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Knights 6 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Knights 4 per match

Offloads: Raiders 10, Knights 8 per match

Kicking: Raiders 583 kicking metres per match, ranked fifth
Knights 569 kicking metres per match, ranked ninth

Missed tackles: Raiders 34, Knights 33 per match

Ineffective tackles: Raiders 14, Knights 14 per match

Errors: Raiders 11, Knights 11 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 6, Knights 5 per match

My tip: The Knights are deserved favourites in this match. We shouldn't make too much of the 2023 statistics and match results. There have been changes in the squads of both teams. But the changes in personnel are more significant for the Green Machine. Canberra now has a much younger and more inexperienced team. The Newcastle squad has an average age of 27, the Raiders 24. In addition, the Raiders have two important players missing through suspension, while the Knights will be able to field what is close to their strongest possible team. I'd love to tip a first up win for the Raiders, but the head says Knights by eight.

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matt Timoko
4. Albert Hopoate
5. Xavier Savage
6. Ethan Strange
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Danny Levi
10. Joe Tapine (c)
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Ata Mariota
17. Pasami Saulo

18. Kaeo Weekes
19. Simi Sasagi

Injury/Suspension
Sebastian Kris, Suspension (Round 2)
Corey Horsburgh, Suspension (Round 3)
Elliott Whitehead, Calf (Round 4-5)
Corey Harawira-Naera, Seizure (TBA)

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Enari Tuala
3. Dane Gagai
4. Bradman Best
5. Greg Marzhew
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Jackson Hastings
8. Jacob Saifiti
9. Phoenix Crossland
10. Leo Thompson
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Dylan Lucas
13. Adam Elliott

14. Jack Cogger
15. Daniel Saifiti
16. Jack Hetherington
17. Kai Pearce-Paul

18. Jed Cartwright
19. Thomas Jenkins

Injury/Suspension
Jayden Brailey, Hamstring (Round 2)

Officials

Referee: Todd Smith
Touch judges: Kasey Badger, Jon Stone
Video referee: Chris Butler

NSW Cup teams: Click here
Jersey Flegg teams: Click here

Plus follow us on X: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2024 Round 1 v Knights: Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

game day, no more sleeps

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Game day!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Ponga is going to destroy us as usual. We make him look like an Immortal. Spiders all over him. Best will carve up too. I really hope I’m wrong but they got us 3 times last year. I don’t see us as being a better outfit this year.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: March 7, 2024, 11:16 am Ponga is going to destroy us as usual. We make him look like an Immortal. Spiders all over him. Best will carve up too. I really hope I’m wrong but they got us 3 times last year. I don’t see us as being a better outfit this year.
Best way to stop Ponga is to dominate the middle of the field. Best way to do that is for the hooker to give the forwards good, clean ball so they can get on the front foot, and minimise stupid mistakes which give up field territory too easily.

Fogarty and Strange's kicking games need to be absolutely on point too.

It's a tough ask, but you do those things right and you can largely take Ponga (and Best) out of the game.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

bonehead wrote:game day, no more sleeps

Do afternoon naps count?

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The Nickman wrote:
Finchy wrote: March 7, 2024, 11:16 am Ponga is going to destroy us as usual. We make him look like an Immortal. Spiders all over him. Best will carve up too. I really hope I’m wrong but they got us 3 times last year. I don’t see us as being a better outfit this year.
Best way to stop Ponga is to dominate the middle of the field. Best way to do that is for the hooker to give the forwards good, clean ball so they can get on the front foot, and minimise stupid mistakes which give up field territory too easily.

Fogarty and Strange's kicking games need to be absolutely on point too.

It's a tough ask, but you do those things right and you can largely take Ponga (and Best) out of the game.
The only thing that stops a bad man with a Ponga, is a good man with a Ponga.

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Have I missed Botman's WTFITC? Which of the 2 Knights I've never heard of will make the cut?!

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

lock us in for a spanking....
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sid wrote: March 7, 2024, 11:37 am Have I missed Botman's WTFITC? Which of the 2 Knights I've never heard of will make the cut?!

Hmm its a tough one this week because i personally have good knowledge of all their dudes... so it doesn't feel right, but I wonder how many people know anything about Kai Pearce-Paul... i've heard him referred to as the english SBW, so interested to see him and Smithies play
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Botman wrote:
Sid wrote: March 7, 2024, 11:37 am Have I missed Botman's WTFITC? Which of the 2 Knights I've never heard of will make the cut?!

Hmm its a tough one this week because i personally have good knowledge of all their dudes... so it doesn't feel right, but I wonder how many people know anything about Kai Pearce-Paul... i've heard him referred to as the english SBW, so interested to see him and Smithies play
I hadn't, but looking into it he seems to have pretty good credentials.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Getting very excited for this game... but i need 3 more things to get me...

1. Sticky Smoooooookescreen... maybe Saulo or Ata up into the starting team for Papa, Weekes in for Starling... just a little last minute mind bender for AOB and the Knights
b) Pre game ambush talk... Tapine in pre game can just let us fans know we're ready to get up there an ambush em
- Matt Nable pre game promo... Nable is the only part of the broadcast i listen to every time, nothing funnier than his over hyped/over produced pre game promos
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:

Thomas Jenkins is probably the only one

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

The fittest team will probably come out on top.
If we hold the ball and move them around the park we should hopefully wear them out.
Cant wait for kickoff
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: March 7, 2024, 12:51 pm
Botman wrote:

A little Tom Can't would have been a good one before cut down
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

Botman wrote:

Am I the only one who's never heard of Dylan Lucas?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I wonder how many minutes we are expecting out of Smithies tonight.

I’m hearing he’s got a big motor BUT he’s also only had a 20-25min pre season.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-PJ- wrote: March 7, 2024, 1:51 pm I wonder how many minutes we are expecting out of Smithies tonight.

I’m hearing he’s got a big motor BUT he’s also only had a 20-25min pre season.
I would expect about 50-60 but it'll largely depend on how he looks
6 weeks from now i expect he'll be a 65+ minute player.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

skeepe wrote: March 7, 2024, 1:34 pm
Botman wrote:

Am I the only one who's never heard of Dylan Lucas?
Lucas is a really good player. Will play 150+ NRL games
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 12:47 pm Getting very excited for this game... but i need 3 more things to get me...

1. Sticky Smoooooookescreen... maybe Saulo or Ata up into the starting team for Papa, Weekes in for Starling... just a little last minute mind bender for AOB and the Knights
b) Pre game ambush talk... Tapine in pre game can just let us fans know we're ready to get up there an ambush em
- Matt Nable pre game promo... Nable is the only part of the broadcast i listen to every time, nothing funnier than his over hyped/over produced pre game promos
I love the Matt Nable promos. A bit dramatic but that's part of the fun lol
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: March 7, 2024, 3:02 pm
Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 12:47 pm Getting very excited for this game... but i need 3 more things to get me...

I love the Matt Nable promos. A bit dramatic but that's part of the fun lol
I watched The Dry for the first time a few weeks back. So good spotting Matt Nable in the background agitated and shuffling around - knowing he'd be piping up in less than 30 seconds :roflmao

Then proceeded to play the exact same character as the Newtown movie.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

This is the greatest time of the year. Unrestrained optimism, goodwill is in abundance and the possibilities are endless.

Looking forward to being furious in about three hours.

In all seriousness I actually have sensed a lot of goodwill from Raiders fans this offseason.

I think most are more than willing to get stuck into an evolutionary cycle which may involve having to be patient.

BUT, I think the goodwill is very much predicated on us doing this the right way.

If a few things start going wrong and we start seeing Rocky Steward defaulting to his instinct which is to select grinders, veterans and ploders, a lot of the goodwill will evaporate.

In saying that, let’s win the comp the year.
Up The Milk
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

It's the best time of the year, unless you're in the finals and a contender, then it's that. Love the first six rounds

I don't see why we can't have a strong unorthodox attack, less about the spine and more about just getting the ball into gun players hands
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Canberra Milk wrote: March 7, 2024, 5:23 pm It's the best time of the year, unless you're in the finals and a contender, then it's that. Love the first six rounds

I don't see why we can't have a strong unorthodox attack, less about the spine and more about just getting the ball into gun players hands
Love the way you think, Kris
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

dubby wrote: March 7, 2024, 5:38 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: March 7, 2024, 5:23 pm It's the best time of the year, unless you're in the finals and a contender, then it's that. Love the first six rounds

Love the way you think, Kris
Karpy speak good. Nevertheless, think we'll get smashed. At least it feels like we are taking steps towards something new and fresh this year, so I can live with it. Last year we went nowhere.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight's NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Newcastle Knights. The match kicks off at 8:00pm. Live on Nine and Fox League. We'll have live scores right here. Please join in with your own commentary.

The final teams are in, both are 1-17:

Canberra Raiders

1. Jordan Rapana
2. Nick Cotric
3. Matt Timoko
4. Albert Hopoate
5. Xavier Savage
6. Ethan Strange
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Danny Levi
10. Joe Tapine (c)
11. Hudson Young
12. Zac Hosking
13. Morgan Smithies

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Ata Mariota
17. Pasami Saulo

18. Kaeo Weekes

Newcastle Knights

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Enari Tuala
3. Dane Gagai
4. Bradman Best
5. Greg Marzhew
6. Tyson Gamble
7. Jackson Hastings
8. Jacob Saifiti
9. Phoenix Crossland
10. Leo Thompson
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Dylan Lucas
13. Adam Elliott

14. Jack Cogger
15. Daniel Saifiti
16. Jack Hetherington
17. Kai Pearce-Paul

18. Jed Cartwright
The Greenhouse score update service
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ugh.. hurry up already!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Geez it’s the Knights analysis show on Fox. Do they know the Raiders are playing?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We've spent all off season arguing about what ifs, ideas, theories and hypotheticals... soon we're going to have real actually football to argue about!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 6:36 pm We've spent all off season arguing about what ifs, ideas, theories and hypotheticals... soon we're going to have real actually football to argue about!
No we won’t! :thumbsup
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: March 7, 2024, 6:42 pm
Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 6:36 pm We've spent all off season arguing about what ifs, ideas, theories and hypotheticals... soon we're going to have real actually football to argue about!
:lol:

Wanna do a beard pact, Billy? A throw back to Duges, Fergo and Shador
We dont shave until we lose!
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Rapana the fittest he’s been.

Papa lost 8-10kgs.

Maybe all they did was focus on fitness. If they have, I’m excited.
mikeraider
Brett Mullins

Post by mikeraider »

Can't wait for kick off get the show started, oh yeah Raiders is there anything better to watch. I.e saying this with a fair bit of tension in the air.
Canberra Raiders supporter though thick and thin from the very beginning.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 6:45 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 7, 2024, 6:42 pm
:lol:

Wanna do a beard pact, Billy? A throw back to Duges, Fergo and Shador
We dont shave until we lose!
I’m listening….. underarms or chest?