Knights 13+
33%

Total votes: 15

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: 2024 Round 1 v Knights: Game Day

Post by RedRaider »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:30 am
RedRaider wrote:Smithies went off for a short time in the first half. Was that a HIA? They didn't announce any of the Raiders changes at the ground.

Guler was put on report for a hip drop tackle. From where we were sitting there didn't look much in it. Was it more conclusive on TV?

Any news on Levy's hamstring? He was on the field after the game and there was no ice strapped to it.

One small complaint - there were Raiders fans around the ground. The players went to see family in the South West corner. We waited about 30 minutes after the game and not one Raider did a lap to acknowledge the other fans.
Yes RR, it was in the tackle he fell off with Strange, leading to a line break. Seemed like a head clashm

It was the only tackle he "missed" in the game, with 44 made.

It was a incredible debut.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Thanks S82, as always much appreciated.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 8, 2024, 2:33 pm
-PJ- wrote:Matt Timoko fights for every inch.

I love that.
Simply the best.

Better than Bradman Best.

Better than all the rest.

Better than Colin Best...or anyone I've ever met.

Or something like that.
I always thought Colin Best gave us good performances. An underrated Raider :)
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

skeepe wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:50 am
RedRaider wrote: March 8, 2024, 6:52 am Smithies went off for a short time in the first half. Was that a HIA? They didn't announce any of the Raiders changes at the ground.

Guler was put on report for a hip drop tackle. From where we were sitting there didn't look much in it. Was it more conclusive on TV?

Any news on Levy's hamstring? He was on the field after the game and there was no ice strapped to it.

One small complaint - there were Raiders fans around the ground. The players went to see family in the South West corner. We waited about 30 minutes after the game and not one Raider did a lap to acknowledge the other fans.
Guler's hip drop looked pretty bad, I'd say he'll miss a game or two.

Levi's was reported as a quad cork. If that's all it is, he should be fine for next week but I guess we'll know more in the coming days.
Thanks skeepe, much appreciated.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 8, 2024, 5:39 am Something I loved seeing last night was Smithies reactions after we scored points. He's within the first few over congratulating the try scorer and getting around the other players. Reminds me of a John Bateman reaction. It's an indicator of his desire to win and the enjoyment he gets from it. We've got a good one.
Let’s just hope he doesn’t get John Batemans manager after one season
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

RedRaider wrote: March 8, 2024, 2:47 pm
NoMan wrote: March 8, 2024, 6:54 am Yeah, Smithies was a grade 2 HIA.
Thanks NoMan. I have one more for you. In the first half Xav caught a short line drop out and Gagai tackled him and I thought pushed the ball out of his possession and over the side line. The Knights were given possession on the re-start. Was there any commentary about why that was not a Raiders ball. It was on the opposite side of the ground to us, but sure looked like the Knights player put it into touch.
The replay did show Gagai helped it out a bit but the commentators didn't spend much time on it. Probably would've been worth a challenge.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wondered why they didn't challenge that

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Off
Laurie Daley

2024 Round 1 v Knights: Game Day

Post by Off »

Yeah the mind boggles.
This place is woke.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: March 8, 2024, 1:02 pm The Knights hype never made much sense to me
They're a Ponga team... and he's always going to be a player where if you get him on the wrong day, you're probably losing the game.

But outside of Ponga they have:
- bad halves, bottom 3-4 in the league at both spots
- bad hooker, when Brailey is hurt, which is a lot, they have Crosslands and aside from a little form surge last year, he's not very good
- average forward pack, the Siafiti's are very over-rated. Leo Thompson and Friz are pretty good. The rest meh. KPP flashed last night though, ill give them that.
- Best is a good strike weapon, Gagai is rocks and diamonds year to year and declining, Marzhew is a very rich man's Hoppa, Tuala eh

If you can bottle up KP, they're not left with a lot.
I think Crosslands is going see some better form over the next couple of years. He's only 23 and been building to that first grade level of fitness.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

90% completion rate is decent for a first hit out. The guys stuck to a plan, did the tough stuff and worked as a unit.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gerg wrote: March 8, 2024, 9:52 am
BadnMean wrote:
gerg wrote: March 7, 2024, 11:38 pm Well that wasn't pretty as I thought I read we were moving away from such a boring gameplan? But it's round 1 and it's a win and off the back of a really strong defensive display. Starling and Papa's tackle in the second half was a massive moment in the game. Great team effort. As Mickey said it reminded me of the gritty defensive win at the Gold Coast in 2019.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Pretty sure the coaches said we were going to open the season with the boring game plan and possibly expand from there later.
Okay. Thanks I missed that. I'm not too fussed in the first few weeks, but hopefully we don't see it all year like last year. But how can anybody complain too much after a performance like that. Even those picks of Levi and Hoppa ... played well both of them. A few little errors but both of them contributed nicely.

Great to see how fit we are and what a great start from Papa. I'm hoping for a big year from him and a contract extension. I wouldn't be happy to see him finish his career in another jersey. He's one of the best forwards this club has ever produced and deserves to be a one club man and overtake the Crokers for games played for the club.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Yeah last years footy was honestly a bit painful to watch at times.
I've said recently that I expect we'll be more fun to watch just for a few changes- Rapa absolutely WILL create something from fullback, somehow or other. Savage is being picked so we'll actually have the pace to finish some half breaks throughout the season and score from mid/long range. And Strange will have to go better than Jack on the left.

Thursday was a very good start.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

dubby wrote: March 8, 2024, 11:29 am
Sid wrote: March 8, 2024, 10:17 am Our back 5, starting props and lock all made 100+ metres

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
I did notice our sets usually started with 3 outside backs taking a hit up
I think most clubs play the same way. "Riff especially.

I noticed Young was often first forward back and available for early set hit ups- or running as an option to take the heat off the receiver. Love that in a backrower.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2024, 2:49 pm

I love that.
Simply the best.

Or something like that.
He had a season for the ages one year0 absolutely tore in up running off early ball from Campo.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Ecstatic about that second half performance. Went the complete opposite of what looked likely.

Can’t say a bad word about anyone.

Absolutely the best game of controlling footy I’ve seen Fog play. Massive kudos to him. Hosking was great. Smithies was tough. Hopoate was strong. And I think Savage showed hes just got to be the first winger picked. He’s up and down in the backfield but no one else in the squad can replicate what he’s got in attack with ball in hand.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

BadnMean wrote: March 8, 2024, 4:00 pm

I love that.
Simply the best.

Or something like that.
He had a season for the ages one year0 absolutely tore in up running off early ball from Campo.
2008 Dally M Winger of the Year!

I also had an irrational level of excitement for Phil Graham around that era as well…
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2024, 4:11 pm

I love that.
Simply the best.

Or something like that.

I also had an irrational level of excitement for Phil Graham around that era as well…
Graham was good for an intercept every couple of games. He was quick but yes, your love is irrational. Like all raider love.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2024, 4:11 pm

I love that.
Simply the best.

Or something like that.

Yep and Best played centre for pretty much that entire season. Was an out of the box career season from an otherwise good but patchy player. Earned him a nice contract for Souths too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Was moved in when Graham blew his knee

Had a few diamonds in the rough from otherwise washed up ESL players.. Logan, Jason Smith, Best

Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

This chat prompted me to go back and look at Best’s record - 261 NRL games! (Plus another 60 in England mid-career). That’s exceptional just from a longevity point of view.

You’d argue we got some of his better years too.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

-TW- wrote: March 8, 2024, 4:29 pm Was moved in when Graham blew his knee

Had a few diamonds in the rough from otherwise washed up ESL players.. Logan, Jason Smith, Best

The Jason Smith era was fun. Great footballer who you always felt could make something happen at any point in the game.

Gave us all hope that we might be athletic enough to play NRL football, as 40 durries a day clearly wasn’t a barrier to entry for the great man
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I noticed Smithies was the first receiver at times when we attacked the Knights line. The Wigan coach is correct - don't think Horse will get the No 13 back but he will be on the bench for either Guler or Saulo.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

My guess for daily m points will be
2 Rapana
2 Ponga
2 Tapine
Vaccinated
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

cat wrote: March 8, 2024, 5:35 pm My guess for daily m points will be
2 Rapana
2 Ponga
2 Tapine
3.fog
2.papalii
1.ponga
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Raiders_Pat wrote: March 8, 2024, 1:31 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 8, 2024, 1:16 pm
Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:01 am
Bluesbrother wrote: March 8, 2024, 6:57 am
Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2024, 6:48 am

I agree.

But I’ll bet my life savings Ricky “veteran deference over merit” Stuart doesn’t.
Always room for a sledge from you. Keep bagging, you've already got egg on your face. Shutting you up will be nice as we move into this next generation in the house that Ricky has built.
You’re saying Elliott Whitehead walks straight back into the team that won so convincingly last night? On what basis?

I’m sure I’ve heard your mate mention before that he doesn’t change winning sides. Or only when it suits him?
On the basis that it's Elliot Whitehead. It's as simple as that. He is the club captain and his last performance for us and for England were mighty fine ones. It's his jersey to lose.

Blame Ricky for everything bad but when something goes well where is your commentary? Still negative. Petty.
I don't think Whitehead necessarily walks straight back in. He's due back in round 4 iirc. We've got Tigers at home next week and then Warriors away - if we lose against the Warriors then I could see it but if we beat them then I think he may be lucky to get a spot on the bench. We looked very good in defence last night, and I'm not sure there will be much of an appetite to change our starting second rowers and lock if they keep up their output.
I can't see Smithies anywhere else but 13 all season. Hors straight in the front row rotation.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2024, 2:15 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 8, 2024, 1:16 pm
Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:01 am
Bluesbrother wrote: March 8, 2024, 6:57 am
Rickmando wrote: March 8, 2024, 6:48 am

Always room for a sledge from you. Keep bagging, you've already got egg on your face. Shutting you up will be nice as we move into this next generation in the house that Ricky has built.
I agree.

But I’ll bet my life savings Ricky “veteran deference over merit” Stuart doesn’t.
You’re saying Elliott Whitehead walks straight back into the team that won so convincingly last night? On what basis?

I’m sure I’ve heard your mate mention before that he doesn’t change winning sides. Or only when it suits him?
On the basis that it's Elliot Whitehead. It's as simple as that. He is the club captain and his last performance for us and for England were mighty fine ones. It's his jersey to lose.

Blame Ricky for everything bad but when something goes well where is your commentary? Still negative. Petty.
Elliott whitehead who has looked busted and below NRL level for 3 years. Good. Your gymnastics to unfailingly cheerlead everything Rick does without being able to even consider an alternative view renders everything you write on here pretty much meaningless mate.

And btw, you clearly haven’t read 6 other posts I’ve made about the performance today (all positive), you’ve just cherry picked a comment that is accurate and well-made (but doesn’t agree with your viewpoint) and have focused on that.

So yeah, do me a favour and just put me on mute. I’ve got no interest in engaging with you, muppet.
Rick, you have no idea of what Elliott Whitehead brings to the team. Getting picked for England in the world cup and end of last season would counter your point. Pontificating on an online forum like you know more than the Raiders and the England RL. Good chat.

Keep dribbling Rick. It's people like you that have been proven wrong time and again by Stuart. I love seeing it. Last night was another one to shut people like you up.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Elliot as the captain comes back in when fit. But he’ll be under pressure if others continue to perform. That’s a pretty consistent approach made by clubs for over a century of rugby league.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I'm guessing it won't be the first of his injuries this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up trying to line up his 200th and Papa's 300th games at home.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: March 8, 2024, 6:57 pm Elliot as the captain comes back in when fit. But he’ll be under pressure if others continue to perform. That’s a pretty consistent approach made by clubs for over a century of rugby league.
Look i understand that, but that's the problem with naming a captain who was underperforming to begin with.
My challenge to you and anyone else... as the late Chris Wessling was found of saying about NFL players in their later years - "analyse the game, not the name:

What does EW bring as a footballer in 2024?
I cant think of anything except some subtle ball playing that EW offers over Hosking in 2024.
Last edited by Botman on March 8, 2024, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

NoMan wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:09 pm I'm guessing it won't be the first of his injuries this year.
Agreed. There is already some little whispers around this.
If i set his games played line at 16.5 i wonder if he goes over or under that.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:
NoMan wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:09 pm I'm guessing it won't be the first of his injuries this year.
I'm taking the unders, this calf will blow out to 6 weeks, then there'll be another random niggle that's 3 or 4

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

BadnMean wrote: March 8, 2024, 3:55 pm
dubby wrote: March 8, 2024, 11:29 am
Sid wrote: March 8, 2024, 10:17 am Our back 5, starting props and lock all made 100+ metres

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
I did notice our sets usually started with 3 outside backs taking a hit up
I think most clubs play the same way. "Riff especially.

I noticed Young was often first forward back and available for early set hit ups- or running as an option to take the heat off the receiver. Love that in a backrower.
Yep, Young and Papa.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:53 pm
Do you think he'll be relegated like Croker?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Sad thing is that EW has played too long. Like Croker.

Hosking on his best day is nowhere near EW on his best day

They're different styles, anyway.

EW needs to retire. We need a Hosking to fill the gap until we find the next EW.

EW a few years ago was the most underrated player in the game.

But father time catches up with us.

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:
Botman wrote: March 8, 2024, 1:40 pm If Hosking keeps playing like he did last night, i dont know how Stuart could honestly say he's doing the best thing for the team playing Whitehead over Hosking.
I can’t say I was that excited about the recruitment of Hosking. Ricky Stuart was was remarkably blunt in saying he wasn’t initially interested either. But he was terrific last night.
My understanding of what he said was Ricky was very keen on Hosking, but after he chose Panthers instead he went in Ricky’s “Dead to me” book.

Then when he was available this year he wasn’t interested because of that. But since he knows his dad he had to give him a chance and came round.

Amazing what can happen when you don’t stamp people’s papers because they don’t do what you want one time…
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I’m a bit bemused by those saying Savage was so much better. A bit better? Sure, but not a whole heap - that’s what he’s been bringing and could have brought last year in my view.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Botman wrote: March 8, 2024, 7:47 pm
BJ wrote: March 8, 2024, 6:57 pm Elliot as the captain comes back in when fit. But he’ll be under pressure if others continue to perform. That’s a pretty consistent approach made by clubs for over a century of rugby league.
Look i understand that, but that's the problem with naming a captain who was underperforming to begin with.
My challenge to you and anyone else... as the late Chris Wessling was found of saying about NFL players in their later years - "analyse the game, not the name:

What does EW bring as a footballer in 2024?
I cant think of anything except some subtle ball playing that EW offers over Hosking in 2024.
Correct.

Did anyone who read about Whitehead’s extension in mid-2021 think, “I’m sure Elliott will be performing to a high standard when he’s 34”?

No. Literally no one did. Outside the club anyway.