Jamal Fogarty named Raiders vice captain for 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Ben & Sev Love Milk
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Papali’i

Re: Jamal Fogarty named Raiders vice captain for 2024

Post by Ben & Sev Love Milk »

Whitehead will more then likely miss some games this year and I still think it’s a possibility Tapine will be Captain them games and Fogarty remain VC . Will be interesting to see what happens when the time comes.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Would have loved to have seen Tapine appointed captain or VC this year. He's our leader and arguably best player. From his ill discipline in getting into fights and niggly stuff earlier on in his career, he has matured into someone that the team follows. I don't see him speak much on the field though. But he has leadership skills and sets an example for teams to follow - see his game for the NZ Maori All Stars when he led the way. Still some way to get to a JFH level though and I think Maguire pointed out JFH's leadership abilities.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sounds like everyone wants Tapine to be given the captaincy because he wants the job and is a good player on the field.

I'd be interested to know what his captaincy skills are like off the field. You don't need the C beside your name to display those.

This may be a blow to Taps ego (I wouldn't know one way or another), but if that's the case maybe he wants the captaincy for the wrong reasons.

Both Whitehead and Fogarty have publicly stated they didn't want captaincy roles, yet here they are. Perhaps something to reflect on.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t recall Elliott Whitehead saying he doesn’t want the captaincy. Anyone have a link?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

There were a number of articles and interviews with Whitehead in 2020 and the start of 2021 where he said he initially wasn't comfortable in the role and wasn't looking for the gig, but he decided to embrace it more in 2021 as he took it on full time.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wasn’t that only due to the fact that Josh Hodgson had just stood himself down from the role? In any case, I don’t think it’s a bad thing to have ambition to be captain. He’s keen to lead, he knows he relished the job leading the Māori All Stars and he certainly led by example.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 5, 2024, 6:28 am This may be a blow to Taps ego (I wouldn't know one way or another), but if that's the case maybe he wants the captaincy for the wrong reasons.
Like what?
I can't think of any reason to want the job that would be for wrong reasons.

As far as i know, there is no cap adjustment/incentive for being captain, it's not like the role of Raiders captain will afford him better post career media opportunities... well not meaningful ones anyways via Nine/Fox Sports/national radio etc. Might help with some local stuff but that's hardly game changing.
It's really just a lot of extra work Monday - Friday and added responsibility with no significant advantages.

The only reasons i can think to want it is because you think you're a good leader and ready and willing to take on the responsibility. And you can be wrong about that. You can think you're a good leader and not be. And you can think you're ready and not be. But I'm genuinely curious to know what reasons someone would want this gig that are motivated by wrong reasons.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: February 5, 2024, 6:28 am This may be a blow to Taps ego (I wouldn't know one way or another), but if that's the case maybe he wants the captaincy for the wrong reasons.
Like what?
I can't think of any reason to want the job that would be for wrong reasons.

As far as i know, there is no cap adjustment/incentive for being captain, it's not like the role of Raiders captain will afford him better post career media opportunities... well not meaningful ones anyways via Nine/Fox Sports/national radio etc. Might help with some local stuff but that's hardly game changing.
It's really just a lot of extra work Monday - Friday and added responsibility with no significant advantages.

The only reasons i can think to want it is because you think you're a good leader and ready and willing to take on the responsibility. And you can be wrong about that. You can think you're a good leader and not be. And you can think you're ready and not be. But I'm genuinely curious to know what reasons someone would want this gig that are motivated by wrong reasons.
I'm not saying Tapine is motivated by the wrong reasons, however I've worked for a number of leaders who were driven by ego.

Tapine certainly doesn't strike me as that type of personality, but the C beside his name shouldn't mean a damn thing if he wants to be a leader within the club. His time will come.

Hopefully he brings his A game this season, irrespective of the captaincy issue.

Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Tapine has led on the field for the last 4 or 5 seasons for us, it is rare that a team can bring him down, he is a leader and I think duel vc with fog would be a perfect solution
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Neeeegz wrote:Tapine has led on the field for the last 4 or 5 seasons for us, it is rare that a team can bring him down, he is a leader and I think duel vc with fog would be a perfect solution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

greeneyed wrote: February 6, 2024, 9:32 pm
Neeeegz wrote:Tapine has led on the field for the last 4 or 5 seasons for us, it is rare that a team can bring him down, he is a leader and I think duel vc with fog would be a perfect solution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Or that, looks cool too, maybe before the first trial at the coin toss ?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

For some, Captaincy or Vice Captaincy is a burden that affects their game. Others absolutely thrive on it. The early season form of Fog is showing he is thriving. As he has built up his FG experience he has got better and better. He has now matched the number of games he played for the Titans with the Raiders, both 41 for a total of 82 matches. Not only that, but he speaks well and brings credit to the club off field as well as on. Jamal Fogarty is a fine addition to the Raiders and leadership is no burden to him in the wake of high profile experienced retirement/departures from the club. Well done Jamal.