Canberra Raiders to feature in Origin 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders to feature in Origin 2024

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders star Hudson Young in mix for Blues Origin return

It's Canberra Raiders star Hudson Young's first step towards a State of Origin return. It's believed Young's part of Michael Maguire's first 40-man NSW Blues squad, which will meet at NSWRL HQ this weekend. It's believed Young's the only Raider in the squad.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Close to 40 players will gather for the first time under the direction of the new Blues coach Michael Maguire in Sydney on Saturday. The gathering at the NSWRL HQ will also include Maguire’s assistant coaches Matt King, John Cartwright and Brett White. Under the player’s union agreement, the chosen players can’t be involved in any physical activity in the 2024 pre-season. The meeting will focus on Maguire outlining his expectations as a coach, the standards he will set and how the Blues will prepare to overcome Queensland for the first time since 2021.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a8928747b7
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Re: Canberra Raiders to feature in Origin 2024?

Post by Rickmando »

I hope I’m wrong but Young’s had the look of plateauing the past season or so (isn’t that the theme of the week here?). Yes he was given some poor coaching advice in how he approached that game, but the difference between his first 20 and Liam Martin’s following 60 was staggering.

He went up to that level and found out very quickly he wasn’t up to it. I hope it’s served as a motivator for him to get there this year - he unquestionably has the talent.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Origin teams come together over about 10 days then have to perform like a very well oiled machine and deliver at a very high level. That sort of situation lends itself more to a player like Liam Martin who can very easily slide into a pretty rigid structure. There is limited amount of timing and cohesion needed to be built with a guy like him because he always runs exactly the right line and he's where the half always wants him to be (obviously helps that he's club teammates with the half).

And he's a legit enforcer out wide, and is actually a tough guy. He makes his tackles, very rarely does he miss/misread, and he's rattling rib cages. Young has a tendency to act the tough guy, but he doesn't play the same intensity and physicality on a consistent basis and to be frank, he's got some defensive lapses in his game that are really ugly.
Young is and has gotten better with his line running off a half, but he's still pretty inconsistent in that too. I don't think his adlib, out of structure style works well in an environment where a team has to come together and gel over 2 weeks.

No question Young has talent and could get himself up to that level but i think he's got a fair bit in his game he still needs to work on. More than i think many Raiders fans care to admit.
Last edited by Botman on February 1, 2024, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

We all love a good Huddo heads-up play. He has ad libbed sone great moments for us in his career thus far and to be fair those kinds of moments are what sets you apart from your solid journeymen club type players. It’s likely what got him on the Origin radar in the first place.

But you know what? Just about the last position I need that kind of creativity from is the second rower (and Bot you’re right - this is even more true in origin where the intensity is high and margins for error are so small).

Hudson has made noises that he’s very happy and comfortable here, and while that’s great for us I wonder if he or his agent are taking a wide enough view if his aim is to play representative football? Objectively, I’d be asking whether I can stand out for NSW selection playing alongside a bottom-3 halves pairing, within an attacking structure that is diabolically bad, and a defensive structure that year on year lets teams march 70m downfield per set and leaks bulk points on the edges?

“Bleeding green” is great if all you want to do is play for “Ricky’s Raiders” (trademarked by Fox Sports at this point). But if he’s aiming higher, “bleeding blue” 3x per year isn’t going to cut it.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

And yes, the fake tough guy stuff is infuriating!

You know what’s tough? Consistently folding guys bigger than you who are running hard on your edge! Liam Martin is consistently excellent in that respect. You can see how he really lifts his team mates with his defensive work, i don’t think I’ve ever seen him resort to the fake aggro.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I doubt Huddo is there - Martin, Koloamatangi, Olakau'atu, Crichton, maybe a Butcher (would probably play for QLD, but not flashy enough for NSW, EG Capewell was a mainstay for a while) - not sure what other edges were looked at.

Murray will probably play some edge too, which is a waste of his ability, but Yeo needs to be there too. I wonder if Murray can do what Jurbo has done the past few yrs? Be a tackle bot with a bit of ball movement etc as a big min small prop to pair with Haas? Esp if you have Martin and 1 or 2 of those 'big uglies' on the other edge.

Papalii wont be there.

Horse is our biggest chance IMO. Id say he's the only 1 too. Even then, he still probably needs a big yr and an injury or 2.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Olkau'atu strikes me as a bit of a flat track bully at this point in his career. Huddo would have to play his best footy but I don't think he would really be behind anyone but Martin and Koloamatangi (since he is incumbent). I'm sure Madge is a fan as well.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

NoMan wrote:Olkau'atu strikes me as a bit of a flat track bully at this point in his career. Huddo would have to play his best footy but I don't think he would really be behind anyone but Martin and Koloamatangi (since he is incumbent). I'm sure Madge is a fan as well.
I agree. He reminds me of TPJ. All the talent and game breaking ability in the world but we only see it 5 or 6 times a year.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: February 1, 2024, 4:34 pm I doubt Huddo is there - Martin, Koloamatangi, Olakau'atu, Crichton, maybe a Butcher (would probably play for QLD, but not flashy enough for NSW, EG Capewell was a mainstay for a while) - not sure what other edges were looked at.

Murray will probably play some edge too, which is a waste of his ability, but Yeo needs to be there too. I wonder if Murray can do what Jurbo has done the past few yrs? Be a tackle bot with a bit of ball movement etc as a big min small prop to pair with Haas? Esp if you have Martin and 1 or 2 of those 'big uglies' on the other edge.

Papalii wont be there.

Horse is our biggest chance IMO. Id say he's the only 1 too. Even then, he still probably needs a big yr and an injury or 2.
Hopefully someone unexpected has such a standout season they put themselves in the frame.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Michael Maguire names NSW squad for Blues camp

New NSW coach Michael Maguire has named his first extended squad which features a dozen players from Penrith and South Sydney.

Bulldogs: Matt Burton, Stephen Crichton, Josh Addo-Carr
Sharks: Nicho Hynes, Cameron McInnes
Raiders: Hudson Young
Knights: Bradman Best, Tyson Frizell, Jacob Saifiti, Daniel Saifiti
Roosters: James Tedesco, Daniel Tupou, Joseph Sua'ali'i
Eels: Mitch Moses, Clint Gutherson, Junior Paulo, Reagan Campbell-Gillard
Cowboys: Reece Robson
Sea Eagles: Jake Trbojevic, Tom Trbojevic, Haumole Olakau'atu
Rabbitohs: Cameron Murray, Latrell Mitchell*, Cody Walker, Damien Cook, Campbell Graham, Keaon Koloamatangi.
Broncos: Payne Haas*, Kotoni Staggs
Tigers: Api Koroisau
Panthers: Dylan Edwards, Nathan Cleary, Jarome Luai, Brian To’o, Liam Martin, Isaah Yeo

Dragons, Warriors, Storm, Dolphins, Titans have no players.
* Not attending the camp for personal reasons.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... adc92dd2ba
greeneyed
Don Furner

Corey Horsburgh selected for Queensland Maroons pre-season squad

Post by greeneyed »

Corey Horsburgh selected for Queensland Maroons pre-season squad

Queensland Maroons players and coaching staff will come together in Brisbane on Saturday to formally commence the squad’s 2024 State of Origin preparations. Maroons head coach Billy Slater is bringing in 34 Maroons eligible players who will take part in a number of community activities, highlighted by a visit to lift the spirits of kids doing it tough as well as a junior coaching clinic.

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2024/02/02/ ... parations/

Queensland Maroons pre-season squad

Jai Arrow South Sydney Rabbitohs
AJ Brimson Gold Coast Titans
Kurt Capewell New Zealand Warriors
Pat Carrigan Brisbane Broncos
Daly Cherry-Evans Manly Sea Eagles
Xavier Coates Melbourne Storm
Selwyn Cobbo Brisbane Broncos
Lindsay Collins Sydney Roosters
Reuben Cotter North Queensland Cowboys
Tom Dearden North Queensland Cowboys
Tino Fa'asuamaleaui Gold Coast Titans
Beau Fermor Gold Coast Titans
David Fifita Gold Coast Titans
Thomas Flegler Redcliffe Dolphins
Moeaki Fotuaika Gold Coast Titans
Dane Gagai Newcastle Knights
Tom Gilbert Redcliffe Dolphins
Harry Grant Melbourne Storm
Valentine Holmes North Queensland Cowboys
J'maine Hopgood Parramatta Eels
Corey Horsburgh Canberra Raiders
Ben Hunt St George Illawarra Dragons
Felise Kaufusi Redcliffe Dolphins
Heilum Luki North Queensland Cowboys
Ezra Mam Brisbane Broncos
Cameron Munster Melbourne Storm
Jeremiah Nanai North Queensland Cowboys
Corey Oates Brisbane Broncos
Kalyn Ponga Newcastle Knights
Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow Redcliffe Dolphins
Murray Taulagi North Queensland Cowboys
Sam Walker Sydney Roosters
Reece Walsh Brisbane Broncos
Christian Welch Melbourne Storm
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Matt wrote: February 1, 2024, 4:34 pm I doubt Huddo is there - Martin, Koloamatangi, Olakau'atu, Crichton, maybe a Butcher (would probably play for QLD, but not flashy enough for NSW, EG Capewell was a mainstay for a while) - not sure what other edges were looked at.

Papalii wont be there.

Yeo needs to go. Can't just roll out Penrith at origin. Murray is a far better player. Faster, fitter, stronger than Yeo. Yeo has been OK at origin but he is done IMO.

Hudson is a chance but he is behind a few.

Olokuwatu is the best backrower in NSW in terms of dynamic, explosive gamebreaker. Martin is a certainty.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Matt wrote:Horse is our biggest chance IMO. Id say he's the only 1 too. Even then, he still probably needs a big yr and an injury or 2.
How’s Horse getting injured going to help? Image
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Liam martin played about as good a game as forward has played in origin in that first game, he was unbelievable. Young had to change his game to being a hole runner and struggled but he only played 20/30 mins so can't be too hard on him there. I thought his second game was much better and he changed his game and adapted much more but wasn't really given the time to show what he could do.
Defensively he needs to tighten up and dominate tackles more at that level but for me he is in the mix and looks like if he is given more opportunities he will be better and perhaps even a game breaker at that level but the team won't change the way they play for a second rower and he has to change his game when he steps up to be a line runner. Would help the raiders also if he did this.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hmmm
Well said
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If NSW can’t work out how to use Hudson Young, or the key NSW players are only interested in playing with their Penrith team mates, why did they pick him in the first place?
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

greeneyed wrote: February 9, 2024, 11:02 pm If NSW can’t work out how to use Hudson Young, or the key NSW players are only interested in playing with their Penrith team mates, why did they pick him in the first place?
Because Brad Fittler didn't really know what he was doing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:
greeneyed wrote: February 9, 2024, 11:02 pm If NSW can’t work out how to use Hudson Young, or the key NSW players are only interested in playing with their Penrith team mates, why did they pick him in the first place?
Because Brad Fittler didn't really know what he was doing.
That’s the correct answer, it has absolutely nothing to do with the Penrith players haha
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

gerg wrote: February 1, 2024, 10:04 pm
NoMan wrote:Olkau'atu strikes me as a bit of a flat track bully at this point in his career. Huddo would have to play his best footy but I don't think he would really be behind anyone but Martin and Koloamatangi (since he is incumbent). I'm sure Madge is a fan as well.
I agree. He reminds me of TPJ. All the talent and game breaking ability in the world but we only see it 5 or 6 times a year.

Being likened to TPJ is about as big an insult as you can give someone. The ultimate footy body and a pea for a heart.

I think Olakau'atu is a lot better than TPJ. He definitely needs to be more consistent but he’s not the typical big islander who gets some unwarranted NRL hype. I reckon he’s legit and am backing him to dominate this year.

To me, his ceiling is higher than Koloamatangi’s and I’d argue their form last year was similar.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

NoMan wrote: February 1, 2024, 5:16 pm Olkau'atu strikes me as a bit of a flat track bully at this point in his career. Huddo would have to play his best footy but I don't think he would really be behind anyone but Martin and Koloamatangi (since he is incumbent). I'm sure Madge is a fan as well.
How many Manly games did you watch last season? I'm guessing not many based on your point of view.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 10, 2024, 4:58 pm
NoMan wrote: February 1, 2024, 5:16 pm Olkau'atu strikes me as a bit of a flat track bully at this point in his career. Huddo would have to play his best footy but I don't think he would really be behind anyone but Martin and Koloamatangi (since he is incumbent). I'm sure Madge is a fan as well.
How many Manly games did you watch last season? I'm guessing not many based on your point of view.
I’d say the opposite. He clearly watched a lot of Manly games and has called it correctly. I’d question how much footy you watch based on the amount of hot takes you spout on here
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

I watch every game shown at some point during the week. So well done on keeping up your average with that guess.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Finchy wrote: February 10, 2024, 6:18 pm
I’d say the opposite. He clearly watched a lot of Manly games and has called it correctly. I’d question how much footy you watch based on the amount of hot takes you spout on here
You're a laugh. Based upon his season he just signed an 8 year deal worth close to 8 million dollars. Evidently a few people with more idea than your arm chair expertise saw something similar to me. Nice call Finchy.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I quite like Olkau'atu, think he's very talented. Would have been thrilled if we signed him.
But I'm not sure contract value is the best arguement to put forth. There are A LOT of absolutely TERRIBLE contracts out there in the NRL...
The Raiders just got out of a 700k ish boondoogle with Croker, and have another year of the Whitehead deal, which is objectively terrible

What a player is paid is not always indictative of what they are actually worth. I mean we're paying Chevy and will soon be paying Ethan Sanders far more than they're currently worth based on what they've proven.
You dont pay for what a player has done, you pay for what you think they'll do for you. That said, i think the Olkau'atu deal was a little rich for my blood and too long for a player of his standing, i dont think doing those sorts of long term deals is the way to go about things. Too risky.
But i wont be surprised in the slightest if that deal works out for them for the first half of that contract

Curious what a 32-33 year old Olkau'atu on 1m a year looks like, but then who knows what the cap is then too.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

The same club just paid Schuster 800k as well. Clearly they like a gamble.

I'd be stoked if the Raiders signed Olkau'atu though. Nobody is saying he is a bad player.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NoMan wrote: February 10, 2024, 8:09 pm The same club just paid Schuster 800k as well. Clearly they like a gamble.
Haha yeah i think they're already regretting that one, fending off rumours he's available.
Big time YIKES.
:lol:
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

With the multi year deal, does the amount stay the same for the length of the contract? Or does it increase in line with the cap?
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

I hear Jack Wighton's back.

‘See where the wind blows’: Wighton not ruling out Blues return with Madge factor said to be key: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state- ... 86551191dc
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

If we are extending this to ex-raiders then I’m saying Mark McLinden is a fair chance of making another appearance.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 10, 2024, 7:46 pm
You're a laugh. Based upon his season he just signed an 8 year deal worth close to 8 million dollars. Evidently a few people with more idea than your arm chair expertise saw something similar to me. Nice call Finchy.
Yeah, nah. Throwing huge money at a bloke who only shows up occasionally against weak opposition, coming off a season where they didn’t even really go close to making the top 8, and having not played rep footy, I’d say those “few people” are as deluded as you.

They can waste their money on Luke Brooks, Josh Schuster, and now flat-track bully Olakuatu thanks. Come back to me when he regularly dominates quality opposition (Panthers, Storm, Roosters, Broncos, etc) and plays 10+ origin games and I’ll happily concede I’m wrong. Until then you’re just talking crap.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: February 10, 2024, 7:57 pm I quite like Olkau'atu, think he's very talented. Would have been thrilled if we signed him.
But I'm not sure contract value is the best arguement to put forth. There are A LOT of absolutely TERRIBLE contracts out there in the NRL...
The Raiders just got out of a 700k ish boondoogle with Croker, and have another year of the Whitehead deal, which is objectively terrible

What a player is paid is not always indictative of what they are actually worth. I mean we're paying Chevy and will soon be paying Ethan Sanders far more than they're currently worth based on what they've proven.
You dont pay for what a player has done, you pay for what you think they'll do for you. That said, i think the Olkau'atu deal was a little rich for my blood and too long for a player of his standing, i dont think doing those sorts of long term deals is the way to go about things. Too risky.
But i wont be surprised in the slightest if that deal works out for them for the first half of that contract

Curious what a 32-33 year old Olkau'atu on 1m a year looks like, but then who knows what the cap is then too.
Tbh I think the Olokuwatu contract is a terrible one and will likely end up like Taumalolo. It's typical Anthony Seibold. That's not the point I was making though. Point I was making is the guy had a great season in 23, not just according to me, but those who watched very closely.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Finchy wrote: February 11, 2024, 5:25 am
Bluesbrother wrote: February 10, 2024, 7:46 pm
Yeah, nah. Throwing huge money at a bloke who only shows up occasionally against weak opposition, coming off a season where they didn’t even really go close to making the top 8, and having not played rep footy, I’d say those “few people” are as deluded as you.

They can waste their money on Luke Brooks, Josh Schuster, and now flat-track bully Olakuatu thanks. Come back to me when he regularly dominates quality opposition (Panthers, Storm, Roosters, Broncos, etc) and plays 10+ origin games and I’ll happily concede I’m wrong. Until then you’re just talking crap.
Haha ok. Injury free, he will play origin this season.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

NoMan wrote: February 10, 2024, 8:09 pm The same club just paid Schuster 800k as well. Clearly they like a gamble.

I'd be stoked if the Raiders signed Olkau'atu though. Nobody is saying he is a bad player.
Fair call, their judgements have been interesting to say the least. I just wouldn't call him a flat track bully. The guy is an absolute weapon. Personally, I think he is one of the most damaging backrowers in the game alongside David Fafita. Accept you don't see it that way.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I am trying to find a full list of Dally M votes for last season, not sure why this is so difficult to find. Maybe I need to trawl through every gameday result. I did find a list of the first 10 rounds and Olakautoa polled votes in 3 out of 10 games. I think there were some similarities with Fifita but Fifita took his game to another level in 2023. Prior to last year he was inconsistent and not worth a million +.

Shoving it in your face since 2017