2024 Canberra Raiders injury/suspension update

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'We're waiting to hear back': Canberra Raiders centre Sebastian Kris could return for Round 1

Sebastian Kris is closing in on a round one return from suspension for the Canberra Raiders. The Raiders have applied to have the NRL All Stars game included as the fifth-and-final game of the ban he received for a spear tackle in the final round of the 2023 regular season. Kris has a letter of support from the Indigenous All Stars team confirming he would be picked for the clash against the Maori All Stars at Townsville on February 16.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

The three Kiwis Tests in the Pacific Championships have already been approved as counting to the suspension by the judiciary chair. Corey Horsburgh is suspended until Round 3.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2024 Canberra Raiders injury/suspension update

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders centre Sebastian Kris to return from suspension in Round 2

Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Rabbitohs recruit Jack Wighton have been cleared to make early returns from suspension but the pair will still miss the historic opening round in Las Vegas. Waerea-Hargreaves, Wighton and Raiders centre Sebastian Kris successfully applied to have representative fixtures they were expected to be selected for included as part of bans imposed before the end of the 2023 season.

Kris and Waerea-Hargreaves will return in Round 2, while Wighton will have to wait an extra week to make his debut for the Rabbitohs in their Round 3 clash with the Roosters on March 22.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/01/29/jwh ... d-in-bans/

https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/01/01/nrl ... d-details/

The story doesn’t say it directly, but this story reveals the Raiders’ application to count the All Stars game to Kris’s suspension has been turned down. The Indigenous All Stars wrote a letter indicating the Kiwis Test player Kris would have been selected but for his suspension. This appears to have not been accepted. He has not yet represented the Indigenous All Stars, but would have last year. He was ruled out due to a shoulder injury.

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves is also unable to count All Stars to his suspension (selected last year for Māori All Stars for the first time, but did not play). Jack Wighton was approved to count All Stars to his suspension. Three other players (Toluta'u Koula, Latu Fainu and Siliva Havili) will also serve suspensions in the All Stars game, on the basis they are allowed to do so because they were “charged by an International Rugby League match review committee”.

As we know, Corey Horsburgh returns from suspension in Round 3.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Ridiculous. I guess that means they can play in the All Stars game if the suspension doesn't count?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Finchy wrote:Ridiculous. I guess that means they can play in the All Stars game if the suspension doesn't count?
You would think so but it’s weird as Wighton has to sit out of that game because he is suspended….

So we can conclude the game can be used to serve a suspension, just not for Kris…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: January 30, 2024, 2:12 pm
Finchy wrote:Ridiculous. I guess that means they can play in the All Stars game if the suspension doesn't count?
You would think so but it’s weird as Wighton has to sit out of that game because he is suspended….

So we can conclude the game can be used to serve a suspension, just not for Kris…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And if that’s so, Seb Kris’s ban has effectively been extended to six games. While Wighton’s ban has been reduced by a week. Why?
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

So what is the actual criteria? This seems grossly unfair on Kris and very generous to Wighton and the other three who would be longer odds to have actually played.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NoMan wrote: January 30, 2024, 2:41 pm So what is the actual criteria? This seems grossly unfair on Kris and very generous to Wighton and the other three who would be longer odds to have actually played.
It’s whatever the judiciary chairman thinks by the looks.

“Bellew took into account the likelihood of each player featuring in the All Stars game and their desire to play in the fixture when making a call on each of the three cases.”

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Most of the Sydney media isn’t even bothering to report that Kris’s application has been rejected… only that JWH has been rejected.

Kris and JWH are very different cases, though neither has played All Stars. Kris is at the start of his career, JWH at the end of his.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

It’s silly. If the suspension doesn’t count, they’re available to be selected to play in it then. If they won’t let them, it should count
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

The centers last year were Pompey and Arthars and the side had a bunch of rookies, journeymen and fringe first graders in it. Seems quite insulting to Kris to suggest he wasn't likely to get picked especially when they accepted he was going to get picked for the full kiwis team.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It is outrageous really.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Just to correct the record, the Indigenous All Stars wrote the letter, not the Māori All Stars. He is of Indigenous descent, and while the NRL believed he was eligible for both teams it seems he does not have Māori heritage. He does have New Zealand heritage.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Inside every club’s pre-season casualty ward, Round 1 starters

RAIDERS

Casualty ward: Josh Papalii (biceps, trials), Seb Kris (suspension, round 2), Corey Horsburgh - (suspension, round 3), Corey Harawira-Naera (medical, indefinite)

Health check: Veteran prop Josh Papalii missed Canberra’s final two matches of 2023 with a bicep injury but has been in full training and ready for the trials. Seb Kris will return early from a five game suspension after three representative matches counted towards the ban.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... ba5f6e9873
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders rookie forward Noah Martin face 1-2 week ban

Noah Martin has been charged with a Grade Two careless high tackle on Luca Moretti in the Preseason Challenge match against the Eels. If he takes the early guilty plea, he'll miss one match. If he contests and loses he'll miss two matches. Eels forward Makahesi Makatoa escaped with a fine for a hip drop tackle on Xavier Savage.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/01/01/nrl ... d-details/

Charges: https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/2024/jud ... ooball.pdf
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Of the 2 I would have thought the hip drop was worse. At least not a fine.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: February 18, 2024, 12:18 pm Of the 2 I would have thought the hip drop was worse. At least not a fine.
I'm shocked it is just a fine. But then again, by now I shouldn't be shocked at the things the NRL does.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

NRL judiciary is back in session
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

nothing in either, the hip drop he was hanging on not trying to drag him down and Noah Martin's one the the Eels player ducked into it

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

They don't overlook those crushers when the player didn't mean to do it.
They have a track record of outcome also matters not just intention.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart wants answers on suspension inconsistency

Canberra wants to know why South Sydney’s Jacob Gagai is free to play in Las Vegas after an NRL ruling that the All Stars game counts as one week of his suspension. Sebastian Kris was denied a similar application.

“I just hope I can get a proper justification on the inconsistency and not some feeble response,” Ricky Stuart said. “I have a proud Torres Strait Island boy wanting to know why the All Stars game is not deemed important enough to serve part of his suspension as it has for other individuals,” Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 4653abaca0

‘Don’t want a feeble response’: Ricky, Roosters demand answers over All-Star suspension saga: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 61a245a9bf
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So Kris was denied his application on the basis that he's never played in the All Stars game before. Neither has Gagai. Gagai was suspended for a week after an incident in the 2023 NRL State Championship match. The NSWRL denied an application for him to serve the suspension in All Stars. The NRL then intervened and overturned the ruling of the State body.

Effectively, Seb Kris's suspension was extended by a week by the NRL judiciary chairman. The Australian Indigenous team made representations to him, in writing, indicating that they wanted to select Kris for the game.

Rabbitohs player Jacob Gagai will be eligible for selection in round one of the 2024 NRL Premiership following the Club’s successful application to the NRL Judiciary Chairman to have his one-match suspension served in last night’s NRL All Stars match: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbi ... successful
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Is it the case that the NRL did call the bluff on selection of Kris? Since they didn’t select him when it wasn’t part of the suspension?
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

They will just say something bizarre like in the eyes of the judiciary chairman there were better players than Kris available. Even though they had a reserve grade half and a journeyman center on the bench.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

exhibition games like all stars should have nothing to do with suspension

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote:Is it the case that the NRL did call the bluff on selection of Kris? Since they didn’t select him when it wasn’t part of the suspension?
It seems the Indigenous team knew clearly in advance what the situation was in relation to Kris. It is not clear that Gagai’s situation was clear to the Maori team… but I guess we will see.

What I don’t understand is how Jack Wighton was allowed to count All Stars to his suspension, but not Kris or JWH. Those decisions were all taken at the same time. There was a clear inconsistency at the time. Surely if it’s good for one it has to be good for all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Is it the case that the NRL did call the bluff on selection of Kris? Since they didn’t select him when it wasn’t part of the suspension?
It seems the Indigenous team knew clearly in advance what the situation was in relation to Kris. It is not clear that Gagai’s situation was clear to the Maori team… but I guess we will see.

What I don’t understand is how Jack Wighton was allowed to count All Stars to his suspension, but not Kris or JWH. Those decisions were all taken at the same time. There was a clear inconsistency at the time. Surely if it’s good for one it has to be good for all.

Both Kris and JHW had the Kiwi tour come off their suspensions, it may simply be the NRL not wanting the players to have their cake and eat it.

It’s inconsistent, which is the problem but I can see why they’ve capped some players all star games counting.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I would have liked to see seb get selected for all stars and make the NRL either let him play in the all stars game or stop him playing and count it

If I was the NSWRL judiciary I'd be pretty cranky right now
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Postman Pat wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

Both Kris and JHW had the Kiwi tour come off their suspensions, it may simply be the NRL not wanting the players to have their cake and eat it.

It’s inconsistent, which is the problem but I can see why they’ve capped some players all star games counting.
But surely rep games count to a suspension or they don’t? Surely the decision can’t just be based on the feels of the NRL judiciary chairman?

Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:
Postman Pat wrote:
greeneyed wrote:

But surely rep games count to a suspension or they don’t? Surely the decision can’t just be based on the feels of the NRL judiciary chairman?

I don’t disagree, I just feel like the NRL wanted both players looking at long suspension to miss an NRL game and not be lacing up round 1.

And then when Souths coped a whole heap of injuries(and a VISA knock back) they also wanted Souths to field a team in LV so they changed their own rule. It’s the NRL we live with, it’s the Gagai decision that really throws it all out of wack.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

If the All Stars game didn't count as part of Kris's suspension, he should have been allowed to play. He wasn't allowed to play, so then it should count.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

The NRL mafia have made up their own rules along the way to suit their own purposes. Most inconsistent sporting body that I know.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I know there’s the usual whinging and hand-wringing going on here by the usual suspects, however I’m just stoked he’s back in Round 2 and not Round 5 like he should be.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Is there a limit to the number of rep games which discount a suspension? Playing devils advocate JWH and Kris' original suspension were reduced due to rep selection. Seems a rule that benefits the better players whereas an up and comer would have to sit out a longer period.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

If that were the case I'd think the Raiders would know the reason already. The NRL already said it was based on the Judiciary chairman's discretion, I suspect there isn't any rule involved other than that.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I say pick him and next move NRL. This process is a shambles. Should be one rule for all end of story. Pick him Stick and make the NRL explain the ridiculousness and double standard.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote:I know there’s the usual whinging and hand-wringing going on here by the usual suspects, however I’m just stoked he’s back in Round 2 and not Round 5 like he should be.
Representative games have been counted to suspensions for my entire life. Trials as well, actually. Rules there have been changed fairly recently. Why should he be back in Round 5?

In any case, however, the biggest issue here is the inconsistency.