Rugby League 2024

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Rugby League 2024

Post by Sid »

This 'flow of the game' cop out is maddening. The ball is either forward or it's not, if players keep being pulled up for forward passes, then they'll pass it backwards more. Not to mention with the technology it'd also mean the game wouldn't stop when passes that are usually called forward but actually went backwards would no longer be called forward. The fans would really benefit from the technology.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Re: Rugby League 2024

Post by Rick »

What a joke. Forward passes are ruining the game.

I would rather see a bit of disruption for the first few weeks until players stopped pushing the boundaries.

Teams spend all this time on defence only to be undone by forward passes which cannot be defended. It’s a huge advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

NRL have made a rule change ahead of the 2024 season.

NRL rule change confirmed: tweak to challenge game’s best kickers

Rugby League’s best kickers have been given extra motivation to roll the dice on short drop-outs and kick-offs, following a new rule change made by the NRL.

NRL General Manager of Football Graham Annesley has confirmed that ahead of the 2024 season team’s will no longer be at risk of being penalised for failing to correctly perform a contested re-start.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 2aa1c92545

2024 Laws and Interpretations

The NRL has confirmed a change to Law and Interpretations ahead of the 2024 NRL Pre-Season and Premiership.

The change is designed to incentivise more contests for the ball from set restarts.

AMENDMENT FOR THE 2024 SEASON

Contested Restarts

If a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or half-way line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick. The change will give more incentive for teams to attempt short kick-offs or drop-outs.

“While relatively minor, this change will add to the unpredictability of the game,” NRL Executive General Manager – Elite Football Graham Annesley said.

“Teams will no longer risk conceding significant territory as well as a penalty for attempting to regain possession from restarts of play.

“We undertook a thorough review of the 2023 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders, and while there was a strong desire to keep changes to a minimum, this minor change will incentivise short kick-offs and drop-outs.

“This will strongly accompany the Commission’s direction to enhance the existing rules, leading to a faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable game.”

The change has been approved by the Commission and was communicated today to the NRL Clubs and Coaches.

NRL media release
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders team for 2024

Rule change around kicks .

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 2aa1c92545
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 17, 2024, 5:33 pm Rule change around kicks .

With a lot of teams probably preferring to defend the Raiders on their line you'd think that means there will be hardly any long drop outs at all. Definitely makes it even more important to find a way to score within the 20.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Every kick off and drop out should be short unless you’re protecting a lead late in the game

That change has, in my view, completely flipped the risk reward component of that and the reward now substantially outweighs minimal risks
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It's ridiculous. Every fan in the game has loudly said, we don't want any more rule changes. Stop. I did not see one single fan asking for this particular rule change. Where do they come up with this stuff?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

To be clear I don’t have strong views on whether that’s ultimately a good or bad thing for the game, I’ll reserve judgement until I see it in action but for better or worse, short kick offs should be the norm going forward
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I can see this having more of an effect on the attacking side. Very little point of trying to force a repeat set now. Better off just running it on the 5th.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: January 17, 2024, 6:09 pm To be clear I don’t have strong views on whether that’s ultimately a good or bad thing for the game, I’ll reserve judgement until I see it in action but for better or worse, short kick offs should be the norm going forward
Where was the consultation? In what games was it stress tested first? So we’ve seen it in action and we know in advance, before we change long standing rules? So we find out in advance whether there are unintended consequences. Same old same old.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: January 17, 2024, 6:32 pm
Botman wrote: January 17, 2024, 6:09 pm To be clear I don’t have strong views on whether that’s ultimately a good or bad thing for the game, I’ll reserve judgement until I see it in action but for better or worse, short kick offs should be the norm going forward
Where was the consultation? In what games was it stress tested first? So we’ve seen it in action and we know in advance, before we change long standing rules? So we find out in advance whether there are unintended consequences. Same old same old.

As it relates to consultation... here i'd guess...
“We undertook a thorough review of the 2023 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders, and while there was a strong desire to keep changes to a minimum, this minor change will incentivise short kick-offs and drop-outs."

as for stress testing, the rule itself does not change much. I dont think they need to stress test it to know how the rule will work and be officiated. It's already a very standard part of the game, that's probably the main reason to stress test. To ensure the rule can work within the structure of the game and that it can be easily officiated and managed.

The unintended consequences is the concern for me, how will it impact the game in terms of flow of possession and red zone. I expect we'll see teams use the football more on 6th tackle in the red zone and not just settle for a kick, and be willing to hand the ball over if tackled, rather than to roll it in, force a drop out and and try to build pressure.

Which could end up being a good thing if teams actually use the ball expansively on the last, or a bad thing if they just settle for getting into a corner and handing it over and trying to rip in defensively, as a means to build pressure. Interested to see.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I hope raiders have been practicing last tackle crash balls

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

NoMan wrote: January 17, 2024, 5:53 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote: January 17, 2024, 5:33 pm Rule change around kicks .

With a lot of teams probably preferring to defend the Raiders on their line you'd think that means there will be hardly any long drop outs at all. Definitely makes it even more important to find a way to score within the 20.
We’ve had some resonable results with a technique called crash ball.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I hope the Raiders have someone practicing short kicks who isn’t Raps.

No offence to Raps.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I know Chevy is said to be an excellent young goalkicker... wonder how he goes with other kicking motions. I do like structurally when the fullback can do the kick offs and drop outs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: January 17, 2024, 6:44 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 17, 2024, 6:32 pm

As it relates to consultation... here i'd guess...
“We undertook a thorough review of the 2023 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders, and while there was a strong desire to keep changes to a minimum, this minor change will incentivise short kick-offs and drop-outs."

as for stress testing, the rule itself does not change much. I dont think they need to stress test it to know how the rule will work and be officiated. It's already a very standard part of the game, that's probably the main reason to stress test. To ensure the rule can work within the structure of the game and that it can be easily officiated and managed.

The unintended consequences is the concern for me, how will it impact the game in terms of flow of possession and red zone. I expect we'll see teams use the football more on 6th tackle in the red zone and not just settle for a kick, and be willing to hand the ball over if tackled, rather than to roll it in, force a drop out and and try to build pressure.

Which could end up being a good thing if teams actually use the ball expansively on the last, or a bad thing if they just settle for getting into a corner and handing it over and trying to rip in defensively, as a means to build pressure. Interested to see.
So they consulted the clubs, RLPA and “other” unspecified stakeholders who told the NRL that no changes were wanted. But they’re doing this anyway. Spin doctored as usual as “minor” when it’s not. Where did the proposal come from? Who was actually pushing it? Was it some “bright spark” who wrote a letter to the Chair? That’s where we got two point field goals from. It’s poor process. Poor outcome.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Rick wrote: January 17, 2024, 6:10 pm I can see this having more of an effect on the attacking side. Very little point of trying to force a repeat set now. Better off just running it on the 5th.

Didn’t you hear Rick.

New rule..you are not allowed to run the ball on the 5th. It must be kicked by a prop.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

If a team does a line drop 50m down the middle of the field , the fullback/winger runs it back 20 to 30m .

If a team takes a line drop puts it out on the full around the 40m/50m mark
It's a play the ball against a set defence .

If you have a good kicker this would be my tactic . If I have understood the rule change correctly.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:If a team does a line drop 50m down the middle of the field , the fullback/winger runs it back 20 to 30m .

If a team takes a line drop puts it out on the full around the 40m/50m mark
It's a play the ball against a set defence .

If you have a good kicker this would be my tactic . If I have understood the rule change correctly.
Cleary and DCE (occasionally) have recently been trying the very low and very hard drop out for the touch line. We may see more of this now. I think it's a better tactic than hoisting a drop out high and hoping to win the contest. It isn't uncommon for the receiving team to regather the drop out and just waltz over for a try because the kicking team has overcommitted.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Looks like I got it wrong.
Just read it will be 10m from where the kick was taken. Therefore 10m out regardless where it goes out with a set of 6.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So why should a kick off that goes out on the full, receive a lesser penalty than in 2023? It is not even a tap on the halfway line.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Can't they bloody well leave things alone
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

dubby wrote: January 18, 2024, 1:41 pm Can't they bloody well leave things alone
No.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

greeneyed wrote:So why should a kick off that goes out on the full, receive a lesser penalty than in 2023? It is not even a tap on the halfway line.
This seems like the biggest, fundamental change to me. Why wouldn’t you now try and kick the ball dead on the full from the kick off? You get rewarded by allowing a set line defending from 20m out? I could be missing something, mind you.

Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

Conor wrote:
greeneyed wrote:So why should a kick off that goes out on the full, receive a lesser penalty than in 2023? It is not even a tap on the halfway line.
This seems like the biggest, fundamental change to me. Why wouldn’t you now try and kick the ball dead on the full from the kick off? You get rewarded by allowing a set line defending from 20m out? I could be missing something, mind you.

Ok, I think I did miss something, it says touch line not dead ball line, so hopefully a kick off that’s gone dead on the full is still a penalty at halfway.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Rugby League 2024

Post by greeneyed »

Conor wrote:
Conor wrote:

Ok, I think I did miss something, it says touch line not dead ball line, so hopefully a kick off that’s gone dead on the full is still a penalty at halfway.

So what’s to stop a team from going for a kick off, high and out on the full over the sideline? The opposition team might end up with the ball just about on their own 10 metre line with the opposition defensive line fully set? Unless I’m missing something.

Is that an uncontested or contested restart? Will the refs now need to decide if they were trying to contest or not? What if they were trying to have the ball bounce before it goes out? How far does the ball have to go before the kick off is uncontested?

I can guarantee you they’ll be adjusting this on the run during the season.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Out on the full dead is still a penalty

It's just kicks that don't go 10m and out on the full over the sideline
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Rugby League 2024

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:
Conor wrote:
Conor wrote:

So what’s to stop a team from going for a kick off, high and out on the full over the sideline? The opposition team might end up with the ball just about on their own 10 metre line with the opposition defensive line fully set? Unless I’m missing something.

Is that an uncontested or contested restart? Will the refs now need to decide if they were trying to contest or not? What if they were trying to have the ball bounce before it goes out? How far does the ball have to go before the kick off is uncontested?

I can guarantee you they’ll be adjusting this on the run during the season.

The rule says 10m in front of where the kick was taken. So my understanding is out in the full over the sideline is opposition starting their set from the 40m line. Regardless of where it goes out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sorry, I think you might be correct. It has been poorly described in at least a couple of places, if so.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Jack Wighton likely to backflip on rep footy retirement.

Jack Wighton considering NSW return under coach Michael Maguire: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... a8928747b7

Growing speculation that new Rabbitohs recruit Jack Wighton could make himself available for selection for the Blues this season: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-20 ... 0fb35c770d

Did Jack retire from rep footy last year to drive down his worth to the Rabbitohs ?

Sounds like he had a plan all along.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

NRL targets 300 million in assets: Inside NRL’s $65 million real estate bonanza

The NRL has spent about $20 million buying a third hotel resort, the Mercure Hotel, Kawana Waters in its quest to find new ways to make money. The NRL now owns about $65 million in hotel real estate.

It is understood the hotel, near the Sunshine Coast Stadium, will be rebranded with a rugby league flavour, including the naming of rooms after Queensland legends of the game such as Wally Lewis and Darren ­Lockyer.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 13a1e2357e
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

It's good to see the NRL actually making sound investment decisions.

That buffoon John Grant wasted so much cash.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'm not sure how great an investment the hotel at Shark Park is... All the hotels have proximity to a rugby league ground, so it is not entirely independent of the game's fortunes. But better to have investments that can't be easily touched, in negotiations over money with the clubs and RLPA.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

NRL news 2024: Peter V’landys and ARL Commissioners set for 60 per cent pay increase

Peter V’landys and fellow ARL Commissioners are set for their first pay rise since 2012, as the NRL moves to within touching distance of $700 million in revenue. Chair Peter V’landys and his fellow ARL Commissioners are set to be awarded a 60 per cent pay rise as the game moves within touching distance of $700 million barrier.

Under special business, there is a proposal that the cap for fees to the game’s eight commissioners should increase from $750,000 to $1.2 million.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 50d431849d
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The game will be broke again soon enough