Rugby League 2024

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Rugby League 2024

Post by greeneyed »

I also saw the short kick off rule in action today. The Dragons grubbered and the chaser took the ball at around the eight metre mark ie, they did not allow the ball to go 10 metres. Result, a turnover to the Colts on their own 40 metre line. The referee nearly went to the halfway to award a penalty... and frankly, I can't see why it shouldn't be, when the Dragons deliberately infringed.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:Yeah that’s going to be extremely annoying early in the year
But’s it’s an iq test now… they’re telling you what is coming, it’s an easy rule to follow and you’ve got enough time to make it a coaching point and focus on it in trials/opposed sessions
It is going to be annoying, since Raiders rarely pass these IQ tests.

The only one they passed that comes to mind is the 1-1 strip which they got an HD on. Though since then they’ve not kept up their study…
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: February 11, 2024, 6:54 pm
But’s it’s an iq test now… they’re telling you what is coming, it’s an easy rule to follow and you’ve got enough time to make it a coaching point and focus on it in trials/opposed sessions

The only one they passed that comes to mind is the 1-1 strip which they got an HD on. Though since then they’ve not kept up their study…
100%
Ill bet the Storm, Panthers and Roosters manage to figure it out and we'll be conceding every other set :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Fox Sports, Channel 9 join push for North Sydney Bears comeback, expansion plans

Foxtel and Channel 9 are backing Peter Vlandy’s plan to bring back the North Sydney Bears, with the comeback push gains momentum as part of expansion plans for an 18th team.

“It’s a good idea and I’d back it,” said Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany. “We can’t have another Sydney team.It’s a tribal brand to rekindle with another team. Maybe it’s Perth with a couple of games in Sydney.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d32d505ea8
Do we really need the Bears back? It might turn a few potential Western Australian fans off if a team is just planted into their city with them also playing home games in Sydney or Central Coast. Hardly seems like a sensible strategy to building a team in a *new* area.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:

100%
Ill bet the Storm, Panthers and Roosters manage to figure it out and we'll be conceding every other set :lol:
And the likes of GE and gangrenous will be blowing up on a weekly basis about how unfair the rule change is haha
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gerg wrote: February 11, 2024, 8:56 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote:Fox Sports, Channel 9 join push for North Sydney Bears comeback, expansion plans

Foxtel and Channel 9 are backing Peter Vlandy’s plan to bring back the North Sydney Bears, with the comeback push gains momentum as part of expansion plans for an 18th team.

“It’s a good idea and I’d back it,” said Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany. “We can’t have another Sydney team.It’s a tribal brand to rekindle with another team. Maybe it’s Perth with a couple of games in Sydney.

Do we really need the Bears back? It might turn a few potential Western Australian fans off if a team is just planted into their city with them also playing home games in Sydney or Central Coast. Hardly seems like a sensible strategy to building a team in a *new* area.

No we don't.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The peoples Republic of Perth bears

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:
Botman wrote:

100%
And the likes of GE and gangrenous will be blowing up on a weekly basis about how unfair the rule change is haha
Examples? No of course not. Nickman fabrication.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mate, I’m only backed up by decades of history
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Of course. Then you’ll obviously be able to quote one.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:
gerg wrote: February 11, 2024, 8:56 pm

No we don't.
I agree we don’t NEED the Bears back, but as someone who’s been living in WA for 5 years now nobody will care of that what we get. It’s an AFL town that’s simply sport mad with thousands is ‘eastern staters’ and Kiwis to make up crowd numbers.

It’s also a community that have seen a couple of teams relocated and do really well in the AFL
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

English Super League reaches new Australian broadcast deal

For the first time, every English Super League game will be available to watch in Australia through Fox Sports. While Australia's major rugby league broadcaster have broadcast select matches from the competition dating back over much of the last decade, the network have announced every game of the 2024 season will be available to watch for Australian audiences through Fox Sports and Kayo Sports, which is the live streaming platform used by the network.

The season gets underway this weekend with a Hull-based derby as Hull FC clash with Hull KR on Friday morning at 7am (AEDT), with each of the 27 rounds to then feature six matches.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/english-supe ... al-205919/

The Zero Tackle story is incorrect, in that every game will be live on Sky Sports in the UK. The streaming service is owned by Super League and it broadcasts some games live and some on delay. I've argued in the past that the lack of live coverage of every game is one of the biggest things holding the game back in the UK. It is great to see this fixed.

Sky Sports to show every Super League match live as part of historic new three-year TV rights deal: https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... ights-deal

BBC to show live Super League games for first time after signing three-year broadcast deal: https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/68229917

What's on Super League+ streaming service? https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3 ... perleague+
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I think I read somewhere that the games would commence live but adds be added in some come the end of the game it will be 11-12 minutes behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Americans get excited about their Superbowl adverts. Wait until they see a Working Gear Ad.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rick wrote: February 14, 2024, 6:26 pm I think I read somewhere that the games would commence live but adds be added in some come the end of the game it will be 11-12 minutes behind.

In Australia? Can't find reports of that anywhere. Guess we'll see on Friday morning.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gangrenous wrote:Of course. Then you’ll obviously be able to quote one.
Gee it’s quiet from Nickman when asked to defend what he says with evidence isn’t it?
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Rick wrote: February 14, 2024, 6:26 pm I think I read somewhere that the games would commence live but adds be added in some come the end of the game it will be 11-12 minutes behind.

Geez that post hurts my head.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

President Clinton wrote:

It’s easy to comprehend. Let me post an instructional video.

This will be gold for anyone who loves great comedy.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Shiv
Peter Jackson

Rule changes and Interpretations for 2024

Post by Shiv »

2024 NRL Rule change and interpretations clarification: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/02/14/202 ... ification/

Worth a watch - its circa 35mins

Only rule change is around short dropouts. No longer a penalty if it doesn't go the 10. Instead its a play the ball 10meters in from the sideline.

intended to make it less risky to do short drop outs.

However they are now focusing on / enforcing current rules, of note:

Downtown - now being enforced

I actually think this is the one most likely to have the biggest impact. Essentially, when you are kick the ball, (for field position etc), the attacking team players can't advance beyond where the ball was played, until AFTER the ball has been kicked. I am doing a poor job of explaining this, but pretty much every team currently breaks this rule, like 80% of the time - literally unless they are kicking from dummy half. I suspect in the first couple of games we will see this one given a lot. (as an aside, we will also hear the Channel 9 commentary team be confused about the rule, complain that its wrong and not how it was done in their day). This one is worth watching his explanation for. Will give kick returners, heaps more space (hello Xavier/Chevy). Penalty (if given) is from the play the ball spot.

Ruck blockers
Penrith originally developed this a couple of years ago, and the top teams do this often and well.
Essentially, when you are playing the ball, you cannot have 1 or more of your team standing next to you - effectively obstructing the markers from running straight to (for example) the kicker (most commonly done in a trying to stop a drop goal charge down). Going forward doing this will be a penalty. Again worth watching. This will be a change - but I don't really think its going to move the dial. Will probably lead to more charge downs though.

there are other ones - but they're more common sense tidy up than anything else.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I mentioned the downtown rule a bit earlier, based on the first two rounds of junior reps. When a team is penalised for this it’s an absolute killer, as it’s often in a team’s own half. Instead of the ball being 60 metres downfield, the opposition is attacking the red zone.

I also mentioned earlier that I saw an instance of a short kick off being regathered by the same team before it goes 10 metres. All that happened was a turnover to the opposing team on their own 40 metre line. As it turns out, the video makes clear it should have been a penalty.

BTW I really hate how the refs don’t intend to penalise the voluntary tackle.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

BJ wrote:
President Clinton wrote:

Image Should have read it first!

Games start live but are gradually delayed due to adds.

First game is 7am Friday. Looks like I might start my work day early and with a game of Super league.

President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Rick wrote: February 14, 2024, 11:13 pm
BJ wrote:
President Clinton wrote:

Image Should have read it first!

Games start live but are gradually delayed due to adds.

First game is 7am Friday. Looks like I might start my work day early and with a game of Super league.

Haha thank you Rick! Much better.

It is always good seeing ex-NRL players running around over there.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

SBS will also broadcast a FTA Super League game via NITV every week: https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3 ... agreements

I’ll be surprised if Fox League interrupts games with ads, but the NITV game probably will do… looks like that game will be on delay (Tuesday nights).

Still can’t find a source suggesting ads will be included on Fox. Fox is advertising games as “live”.

Rugby League+ won’t be on offer in Australia. Looks like Fox has bought exclusive streaming rights for Kayo.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote: February 14, 2024, 7:31 pm
Gee it’s quiet from Nickman when asked to defend what he says with evidence isn’t it?
Haha you really think I want to waste time digging through your boring as **** post history to find evidence of your typical behaviour?

Much easier to just wait another two and a half days until the first video ref decision goes against our boys.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Re: Rule changes and Interpretations for 2024

Post by yeh raiders »

Shiv wrote: February 14, 2024, 9:15 pm 2024 NRL Rule change and interpretations clarification: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/02/14/202 ... ification/

Worth a watch - its circa 35mins

Only rule change is around short dropouts. No longer a penalty if it doesn't go the 10. Instead its a play the ball 10meters in from the sideline.

intended to make it less risky to do short drop outs.

Why the **** are they making it less risky to do short drop outs.

If anything, they should be harsher on short drop outs and making the drop-out a minimum of 20 metres.

You force a repeat set from playing good footy. There's no way the opposition should get a 50/50 dice roll to redeem themselves. Utterly ridiculous.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Rugby league is entertainment. They’re trying to increase contests for the ball and making it worthwhile for teams being beaten to get back into the game via luck.

Can disagree with that and desire a game that rewards good play. But that’s why they do it.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:
gangrenous wrote: February 14, 2024, 7:31 pm
Haha you really think I want to waste time digging through your boring as **** post history to find evidence of your typical behaviour?

Much easier to just wait another two and a half days until the first video ref decision goes against our boys.
Yeah, I didn’t think you could find an unreasonable complaint of the refs either.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahahahahahahahaha bit early in the week to be on the cans already, gangy.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 14, 2024, 10:26 pm I mentioned the downtown rule a bit earlier, based on the first two rounds of junior reps. When a team is penalised for this it’s an absolute killer, as it’s often in a team’s own half. Instead of the ball being 60 metres downfield, the opposition is attacking the red zone.
Yeah i dont even think you need to see this in practice to understand how significant a penalty this will be, it completely flips the field position.
Going to have to be mindful on bombs too. You want everyone on side generally for those but there is always forwards and hookers in the middle who are jogging well out of the play, i could scenarios where a forward well out of play takes a try off the board because the VR notices a downtown penalty because he's aloofly wondered past the play the ball

Any coach worth even the smallest pinch of **** has to be drilling this in pre season. Has to be an emphasis. And it's a really easy rule to follow
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fantastic atmosphere in this first Super League match of the year. Terrific pre match build up too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They have three Super League games going, all simultaneously. Friday night in England. Surely they realise that to maximise the value to the broadcasters, the games have to be in different time slots, so they don’t compete for the rugby league audience? How hard is it to do that with six matches? Over three days?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Record attendances for first round of Super League.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Revealed: NRL’s $700m explosion in statement to rival codes

The NRL has flexed its considerable financial muscle ahead of a historic opening round in Las Vegas revealing revenue topped $700 million for the first time in 2023 amid the greatest influx of cash in rugby league’s 116-year history.

As players headed to the US the latest figures revealed at the annual general meeting on Wednesday morning paint a glowing picture of the work done by ARLC chief Peter V’landys and NRL CEO Andrew Abdo in the fight to be Australia’s No.1 sport.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1140dd4719

Game stronger than ever after record breaking 2023: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/02/21/gam ... king-2023/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I liked this bit…

NRL broadcast figures outstripping AFL, with 93.2m viewers tuning into NRL Premiership matches on Nine and Fox Sports compared to 91m for AFL’s free-to-air and pay-tv coverage. Overall, rugby league viewership was 171.8m, making the code Australia’s most watched sport.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/02/21/gam ... king-2023/