Rugby League 2024

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Rugby League 2024

Post by -PJ- »

$750k>$1.2m is ?????

A$450k pay increase.

Well earned.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hmmm. I couldn't name any of the 8 Commissioners. V'landys and Abdo I know but who are the 8.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wayne Pearce, Peter Beattie

That's all I know
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Off the NRL website

Peter V'landys AM
Chairman

The Hon. Peter Beattie AC
Commissioner

Professor Megan Davis
Commissioner

Wayne Pearce OAM
Commissioner

Dr Gary Weiss AM
Commissioner

Tony McGrath
Commissioner

Kate Jones
Commissioner

Alan Sullivan, KC
Commissioner

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/about-us/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL rule interpretation changes: Do’s and don’t list for 2024

Downtown kick-chasers and rugby maul-type plays are set to be abolished as the NRL looks to tighten rules which have been neglected in recent seasons.

What’s on the list

Stopping players from advancing down-town on kicks
Removing players from standing in the rucks to keep markers out of play
The rugby-maul driver-like tackle banned
Trying to stop players who are being held upright in tackles having another player come in and lift their leg.
Players who jump to retrieve a bounce ball will receive greater protection
More emphasis on 10 metres and ruck infringements
Not as strict on deliberate knock-ons

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 997a7fe4b4
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Buzz asking PVL if the Bears are coming back… he dances around it and says they have to be in the equation, whether it’s Perth or The Pacific etc.

Why was the Central Coast dumped from calculations?

Multiple reserve grade teams, an existing Rugby League juniors hub, a lot of Rugby League fans and a fit for purpose stadium.

Every time I drive through Gosford, I think to myself, how isn’t there an NRL team here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

yeh raiders wrote: February 4, 2024, 10:26 pm Buzz asking PVL if the Bears are coming back… he dances around it and says they have to be in the equation, whether it’s Perth or The Pacific etc.

Why was the Central Coast dumped from calculations?

Multiple reserve grade teams, an existing Rugby League juniors hub, a lot of Rugby League fans and a fit for purpose stadium.

Every time I drive through Gosford, I think to myself, how isn’t there an NRL team here.
Too close to Sydney (and Newcastle), small population base, no TV audience, the region already over served with football teams.

V’landys actually said this about the Bears in The DT tonight: “It makes sense that we bring them back in some capacity, because they’ve got 200,000 members.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 30f8675ac2

Where on earth did he come up with the idea the Bears have 200,000 members?
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Population? Google says 350k for the central coast.

As opposed to 263k for the Northern Beaches and 231k for the Sutherland Shire.

As for 200k Bears members. Is that inclusive of the deceased?
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

I don’t think there are the players for another NRL franchise, the dolphins have really diluted the playing pool already.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I think if you had a NRL quality system and pathways working with PNG's player pool you would find enough talent reasonably quickly. They wouldn't be an overnight success like other franchises but that's how it always worked before the Storm.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

This article and they referred that 220k was avid Bear fans then mentioned they have memberships are strong for a 2nd tier team

Bears welcome potential NRL return... but reveal four non-negotiables: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ee5676fbc9
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 6, 2024, 8:44 am This article and they referred that 220k was avid Bear fans then mentioned they have memberships are strong for a 2nd tier team

Bears welcome potential NRL return... but reveal four non-negotiables: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ee5676fbc9
But V’landys said they have 200,000 members. They have 30,000 on Facebook…

“These are the non negotiables”! And we want two to four home games at North Sydney! This is a club that went bankrupt. Sure, they are quite entitled to say we are not going to entertain any deal that doesn’t include these things. But frankly, the new ventures are probably better off without the baggage of a failed club. If they think they’re going to sit back and control a new team in Perth or New Zealand from North Sydney it’s a recipe for disaster.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

NRL needs a team in Perth. I think the Bears are the best way for that to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Perth Pacific Bears. That'll give them a large catchment area.

If they are the Pacific Bears they should be based in NZ, maybe with some games in Samoa, Tonga etc.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Rick wrote: February 6, 2024, 9:49 am NRL needs a team in Perth. I think the Bears are the best way for that to happen.

I agree. Newtown also have a viable proposal.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:
Rick wrote: February 6, 2024, 9:49 am NRL needs a team in Perth. I think the Bears are the best way for that to happen.

PVL said no more Sydney clubs

Edrick The Entertainer
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

bonehead wrote:
dubby wrote:

PVL said no more Sydney clubs

So more Sydney clubs it is!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Ha, I meant the jets

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Las Vegas games and behind the scenes in the NRL

Post by yurithe1 »

I subscribe to an advertising/marketing email and was surprised to see mention of these games and the fact there will be an exodus of executive staff from the NRL this week.

Firstly, Peter V’landys has revealed the league is currently in talks with US broadcaster Fox for a five-year, $200 million broadcast deal that will see weekly, NRL games air live on American prime time television. So, the success of these games can't underestimated.

Speaking to the Daily Telegraph* yesterday, V’landys said the success of the upcoming Vegas double-header is crucial to the league’s television expansion. *I don't read the Tele, so I missed this item.

“It’s important we stay on prime time TV in America,” V’landys said.

“We will speak to Fox executives after the event, see what was successful, what wasn’t. I’m confident we will have the NRL live on American TV for the next five years. We can’t just be there for one week, we want the whole NRL season to be shown live in America if we can.

“Fox Sports is a valuable and cherished partner. They have done everything they can to help us and we’re keen to go to the next level with a greater TV presence in America.”

Meanwhile, there's raft of departures at the exec level. Executive general manager of partnership, Jaymes Boland-Rudder; executive general manager of strategy and transformation, Andrew Every (who was also acting head of participation, community, and game development; and Grant Williams, executive general manager of media and communications.

Last month saw the league’s commercial manager, Alex Stanley, leave for the AFL, while both the GM of clubs, Jonathon Stewart, and chief customer and digital officer Alexi Baker also left.

CEO Andrew Abdo sent an all-office email assuring staffers that the changes were simply a “new organisational design”.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

RL breaking into the US market, even on a small scale would be such a huge thing for the game
ive always felt that this code is a game that could carve out a foothold in the US market if it got enough exposure.

I've not always been on board with what PVL has done but this im all in on. I understand right now the motivation is sports gambling money, but if he can secure a TV presence in the states and gets exposure to this sport in that market... it has the potential to maybe the most impactful events in the codes history.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

South Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe stars in new NRL ad as he “unleashes” rugby league in the United States: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 384c92ca69
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

I am gobsmacked to not hear from Rusty’s mouth “on my signal, unleash hell” at the end of that clip.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: February 9, 2024, 9:06 pm RL breaking into the US market, even on a small scale would be such a huge thing for the game
ive always felt that this code is a game that could carve out a foothold in the US market if it got enough exposure.

I've not always been on board with what PVL has done but this im all in on. I understand right now the motivation is sports gambling money, but if he can secure a TV presence in the states and gets exposure to this sport in that market... it has the potential to maybe the most impactful events in the codes history.
Given the chance it could. I played in our local gridiron league in my youngers days and we always had a couple of American imports come and play. One of them said he could relate more to Rugby League than any other code. Team in possession has a limited number of plays before you had to turn the ball over and after each play occurs you reset for the next one. It's very similar concept to run plays just without blocking. Essentially there's enough parallels to American Football for them to "get" the sport. Certainly a lot more than Rugby Union.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: February 9, 2024, 9:06 pm RL breaking into the US market, even on a small scale would be such a huge thing for the game

100% agreed

This could be huge for the game.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: February 10, 2024, 7:22 am

Given the chance it could. I played in our local gridiron league in my youngers days and we always had a couple of American imports come and play. One of them said he could relate more to Rugby League than any other code. Team in possession has a limited number of plays before you had to turn the ball over and after each play occurs you reset for the next one. It's very similar concept to run plays just without blocking. Essentially there's enough parallels to American Football for them to "get" the sport. Certainly a lot more than Rugby Union.
Yeah I can only speak to my direct experience experience but when I started watching NFL it was very easy to grasp the basics because of some key similarities in the structure and flow of the game

Easy the match a snap to a play the ball, as you said, limited tackles to downs, touchdowns to tries etc
Violent tackling game

Give any 22 year old American football loving person 2-3 games of to to watch and they’ll understand the game enough to be able to enjoy it
How do you do that? Give em a prime time game in the middle of the NFL off season to bet on

This might not be a popular opinion, but the benefit of establishing even a tiny foothold in the us market could be so impactful for this code that I think if they secure a tv deal that gets NRL on tv over there it would be worth it to schedule one game a week in a time slot that is specifically designed to suit the US network.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hard to find a timezone that works for both markets. That Pacific timezone that catches the large NY viewership is tough. Origin time .. kick off at 8pm in Australia was very early in the morning, from memory 5 or 6 am. I remember getting up for that debacle of a Saints game where Wighton threw that awful intercept in the fading light. That was about a 3am game and I'm guessing a 5.30pm kick off in Wollongong.

So which viewers do you prioritise? Australia of course. Where do you find compromise in those time differences? Maybe the US west coast could work a little better?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's a pretty good video i reckon
Covers off the basics nicely and does a good job of using terminology that is familar
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don’t know why, but it made me tear up. Maybe just proud the NRL is actually doing something concrete to spread our game.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 10, 2024, 7:39 pm I don’t know why, but it made me tear up. Maybe just proud the NRL is actually doing something concrete to spread our game.
I didn’t tear up but I totally get what you’re saying about spreading the game

It’s really cool to see the game making a bold play for such a lucrative and potential world altering market

I don’t know that I’ll get it but before I die I’d love to see the game in a position where we’ve got hyper competitive Kangaroo vs Tomahawk yearly is event that could be a SB type event for the code
I’m 36 so hopefully they’ve got 50 years to figure that that
Last edited by Botman on February 10, 2024, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah it's a pretty good video. I wish there was more build up with other high profile Aussies living in the US. But maybe there is and we aren't seeing it.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There is this…

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins

Fox Sports, Channel 9 join push for North Sydney Bears comeback, expansion plans

Foxtel and Channel 9 are backing Peter Vlandy’s plan to bring back the North Sydney Bears, with the comeback push gains momentum as part of expansion plans for an 18th team.

“It’s a good idea and I’d back it,” said Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany. “We can’t have another Sydney team.It’s a tribal brand to rekindle with another team. Maybe it’s Perth with a couple of games in Sydney.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d32d505ea8
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Watching the junior grades this weekend, the new downtown interpretation at kicks is going to take a fair bit of getting used to. I'm not sure it is necessary... and the penalties sure swing the momentum.

“There has always been a downtown rule but we need to bring attention back to it,” Graham Annesley said. “Now a player from the kicker’s team cannot advance until the point where the ball goes over their head. They have to stay at least level with the ruck until then. In recent years when they knew their team was going to kick the ball they would tear down the field.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 997a7fe4b4
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that’s going to be extremely annoying early in the year
But’s it’s an iq test now… they’re telling you what is coming, it’s an easy rule to follow and you’ve got enough time to make it a coaching point and focus on it in trials/opposed sessions