Raiders player signing speculation 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by Botman »

Seeing a few predicted 17 man teams, and Niukore from the warriors being behind Ford and Capewell
Not sure i buy that but in a circumstance where Niukore does come off the bench, he's a guy i think is really quite good and could suit us as an edge forward to replace EW.

Just a name to keep an eye on i think
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Imagine thinking the Raiders plan isn't nepotism lol. Absolutely Jed into the top 30 is the plan. Why else would he have player such a prominent role in these two trials?
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Botman wrote: February 27, 2024, 11:23 am Seeing a few predicted 17 man teams, and Niukore from the warriors being behind Ford and Capewell
Not sure i buy that but in a circumstance where Niukore does come off the bench, he's a guy i think is really quite good and could suit us as an edge forward to replace EW.

Niukore is a good player. I rate Fore and Capewell too. They’ve assembled a decent side the Warriors. RTS hasn’t missed a beat. He’ll make them a lot better both sides of the ball.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

President Clinton wrote: February 27, 2024, 1:19 pm
Botman wrote: February 27, 2024, 11:23 am Seeing a few predicted 17 man teams, and Niukore from the warriors being behind Ford and Capewell

Niukore is a good player. I rate Fore and Capewell too. They’ve assembled a decent side the Warriors. RTS hasn’t missed a beat. He’ll make them a lot better both sides of the ball.
Not a big Ford guy myself, though he improved as the year went on last year. If they have Niukore behind Capewell and Ford, id at least ask the question.
Last edited by Botman on February 27, 2024, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: February 27, 2024, 1:28 pm

Not a big Ford guy myself, though he improved as the year went on last year. If they have Nikorue behind Capewell and Ford, id at least ask the question.
Ford was really good value last year, I'm a big Marata fan, I reckon Niukuore plays mainly middle this year and especially next(when AFB leaves).
that strengthens there middle where they are a bit short behing AFB and Barnett and arguably the edge too with Capewell coming in.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 27, 2024, 1:02 pm Imagine thinking the Raiders plan isn't nepotism lol. Absolutely Jed into the top 30 is the plan. Why else would he have player such a prominent role in these two trials?
He's an edge forward and his contributions in the trial game was to play wing for the most part as other edge forwards got their opportunities.
The club has brought in two edge forwards (Sasagi and Hosking) over the top of him, Noah Martin is coming on nicely and the club tried to land LL only a few weeks ago... had they landed that plane, he'd have been 7th.
It doesn't seem like a guy they're trying very hard to give him opportunities and develop into an NRL player. Im not even sure he'll start in NSW Cup this year, and if he does, it might not be for long.

Ill bet you a pineapple he never gets into the top 30 at this club. I genuinely dont think that's in their plans. Think club, coach and player know NSW Cup is where his head hits the his talent ceiling. But i could be wrong! Maybe 2024 is the year of Jed and he's promoted mid year due to form! Stranger things have happened in sport, easy money if you're that confident, Ed! :D
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Brew wrote: February 26, 2024, 8:50 pm
Botman wrote:I dont think he'll ever be in the top 30
Reckon he'll just be a guy that hangs around for as long as it's financially viable for him to do so at NSW Cup level and i think he's good for that sort of team. As ive said a few times the way he just slots into a team where they put him and he mostly does his job is really quite admirable and i like his willingness and attitude on that front. Seems like a real team player.

Ive seen him play at times on the wing in NSW cup and he was fine... Scotty Drinkwater and the fellas are a little different level and that showed. But for however long he wants to hang around and play NSW Cup, im happy to have him at the club in that role.
I think he will be our next Head Coach. Keep it in the Family Farm mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm assuming our current head coach changed his nappies so there is a precedent.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: February 27, 2024, 2:00 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 27, 2024, 1:02 pm Imagine thinking the Raiders plan isn't nepotism lol. Absolutely Jed into the top 30 is the plan. Why else would he have player such a prominent role in these two trials?
He's an edge forward and his contributions in the trial game was to play wing for the most part as other edge forwards got their opportunities.
The club has brought in two edge forwards (Sasagi and Hosking) over the top of him, Noah Martin is coming on nicely and the club tried to land LL only a few weeks ago... had they landed that plane, he'd have been 7th.
It doesn't seem like a guy they're trying very hard to give him opportunities and develop into an NRL player. Im not even sure he'll start in NSW Cup this year, and if he does, it might not be for long.

Ill bet you a pineapple he never gets into the top 30 at this club. I genuinely dont think that's in their plans. Think club, coach and player know NSW Cup is where his head hits the his talent ceiling. But i could be wrong! Maybe 2024 is the year of Jed and he's promoted mid year due to form! Stranger things have happened in sport, easy money if you're that confident, Ed! :D
I'm pretty sure Rog was trolling. Decent bite though. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Northern Raider wrote: February 27, 2024, 3:35 pm

Nope I'm serious. We have Dave Furner on first grade coach work experience for several years as a result of our club's inherent nepotism. Tossing Jed Stuart spot 29 or 30 is much less egregious than that. I'm saying he's being and will continue to be given every opportunity to nail down one of those spots. Evident in the trials where he was on the pitch far more than his skill warranted.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I was fairly certain that wasn’t a troll job

Ordinarily I would agree about nepotism at this club and quite frankly the only reason Jed is here is because of his Dad so it’s still on that track…

But I do think that’ll be the extent of that nepotism unless Jed takes a fairly massive step forward in his footballing abilities
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Imagine if we sign Jed next year and he gets Mooneys top 30 spot haha
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jed is a good young bloke, a good footy player. He’s not been put on any fast track to join the top 30. The coach and club have shown they have very clear eyes on this. Jackson a good young player too, but he didn’t make it. If anything Jed will have to clear higher hurdles than others to make it to the NRL. Give Jed a break, just let him get on with playing footy. I’m not sure he’ll make the NRL squad, but good on him if he does. Because he’ll have worked hard for it.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: February 27, 2024, 1:28 pm

Not a big Ford guy myself, though he improved as the year went on last year. If they have Niukore behind Capewell and Ford, id at least ask the question.
Last year I had Niukore tending towards an impact edge. I think the idea (and his goal) initially was to be the man on that side but he kept getting suspended and injured and Ford just kept putting in.
With a Young and Hosking pair to start that impact would be a good signing. If something elite comes along you can also push him inward and if something develops regarding Martin there's enough minutes to share around that he can also get a taste over that 3ish year signing period.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: February 27, 2024, 7:44 pm Jed is a good young bloke, a good footy player. He’s not been put on any fast track to join the top 30. The coach and club have shown they have very clear eyes on this. Jackson a good young player too, but he didn’t make it. If anything Jed will have to clear higher hurdles than others to make it to the NRL. Give Jed a break, just let him get on with playing footy. I’m not sure he’ll make the NRL squad, but good on him if he does. Because he’ll have worked hard for it.
Sort of bloke that in years gone by might have been a reserve grade captain.
As i've said a few times, doubt he has an NRL future but his team first mentality and the way he goes about his game, i've got a lot of respect for him and i quite like him for the level he's at. Reckon he adds a lot of value on the training park for young blokes
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Jeebus I think we have lost a bit of perspective. JS is prospective reggies captain? Or do you mean might be reggies captain in a few years when he's played a bit, nailed down a spot and has something to teach others? That'd be nice in 3-4 years.

What is his position again? I mean, the one he has nailed down as good enough to be in the team ahead of others, not just kinda there when others aren't?

Maybe I can suggest that captaincy gets reigned in, before young Jed is appointed reggies captain on the back of 15 reggies games at 23 yo and most as winger...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:Jed is a good young bloke, a good footy player. He’s not been put on any fast track to join the top 30. The coach and club have shown they have very clear eyes on this. Jackson a good young player too, but he didn’t make it. If anything Jed will have to clear higher hurdles than others to make it to the NRL. Give Jed a break, just let him get on with playing footy. I’m not sure he’ll make the NRL squad, but good on him if he does. Because he’ll have worked hard for it.
Hear hear, well said. Be nice to see the likes of dubby and co give a kid a break.

Disgusting stuff all round.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 27, 2024, 6:29 pm
Northern Raider wrote: February 27, 2024, 3:35 pm

Nope I'm serious. We have Dave Furner on first grade coach work experience for several years as a result of our club's inherent nepotism. Tossing Jed Stuart spot 29 or 30 is much less egregious than that. I'm saying he's being and will continue to be given every opportunity to nail down one of those spots. Evident in the trials where he was on the pitch far more than his skill warranted.
Wow, didn't realise you were serious. You're seeing quite a lot in the tea leaves there.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

BadnMean wrote: February 27, 2024, 8:09 pm Jeebus I think we have lost a bit of perspective. JS is prospective reggies captain? Or do you mean might be reggies captain in a few years when he's played a bit, nailed down a spot and has something to teach others? That'd be nice in 3-4 years.

What is his position again? I mean, the one he has nailed down as good enough to be in the team ahead of others, not just kinda there when others aren't?

Maybe I can suggest that captaincy gets reigned in, before young Jed is appointed reggies captain on the back of 15 reggies games at 23 yo and most as winger...
It's not a lost perspective but a missed context.
When i said years gone by im talking 80's and 90's, when the game was semi professional
when the game was not as professional, a guy like him who does things the right way, works hard and does everything asked him but has not future FG prospect might have stuck around as a reggies captain because he sets a good standard and culture for players who are coming through.
The game is different now but that's why i said, in years gone by he might have held that sort of role long term.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Sounds like the Cowboys may still be struggling to find cash for Finefeuiaki even after Leluia went. You'd hope that the Raiders are trying to land him. With Hess out, maybe they would even be open to a swap for an early release.

Cowboys hit back after Gus spills the beans over rising star’s contract status: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cowbo ... c2b8732899
Ben & Sev Love Milk
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana and Josh Papali’i

Post by Ben & Sev Love Milk »

greeneyed wrote: February 27, 2024, 7:44 pm Jed is a good young bloke, a good footy player. He’s not been put on any fast track to join the top 30. The coach and club have shown they have very clear eyes on this. Jackson a good young player too, but he didn’t make it. If anything Jed will have to clear higher hurdles than others to make it to the NRL. Give Jed a break, just let him get on with playing footy. I’m not sure he’ll make the NRL squad, but good on him if he does. Because he’ll have worked hard for it.
Well said
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, some hot takes here on poor ol Jed.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m actually, once again, on botmans side re Jed Stuart. Imo he’s a pretty perfect full time NSW Cup player. Can play second row or outside back. Tries his guts out, isn’t hopeless and isn’t a world beater. Will be competent at NSW Cup in whatever role he’s picked in. The club needs those players.

Without someone like him well that’s when you end up with the ridiculous scenario of Mooney playing edge forward in NSW Cup for an example.

The carry on over bots original comment and the escalation has been pretty crazy.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote:Yeah, some hot takes here on poor ol Jed.

Yeah, there’s been some pretty disgusting takes here and in the game day thread on a player who is genuinely having a go.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

NoMan wrote:Sounds like the Cowboys may still be struggling to find cash for Finefeuiaki even after Leluia went. You'd hope that the Raiders are trying to land him. With Hess out, maybe they would even be open to a swap for an early release.

Cowboys hit back after Gus spills the beans over rising star’s contract status: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cowbo ... c2b8732899
Interesting outcome for the Cows. Definitely something we should keep an eye on. He'd be a great addition to any squad.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Don't get me wrong, JS was clearly struggling against the Cowboys. Not sure where being fast tracked into the top 30 squad or captaining the reggies came from.

I wish him all the best though. Might help that he looks nothing like his old man. He's a pretty tall unit, might make for a decent second rower in time.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

A standard over reaction to people not doing the maths that we needed 5 people to fill in for the 5 we had out.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I thought Clay Webb made NSW Cup Team of the year 2023?

Funny he's been passed over for a not quite 2nd rower who hasn't done much at all though?

Given the situation on the edge?

I guess it's the training vibe/good bloke we hate Levi getting rewarded for but works for other players?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: February 29, 2024, 8:58 pm I thought Clay Webb made NSW Cup Team of the year 2023?

Funny he's been passed over for a not quite 2nd rower who hasn't done much at all though?

Given the situation on the edge?

I guess it's the training vibe/good bloke we hate Levi getting rewarded for but works for other players?
Clay Webb was named in the NSW Cup Team of the Year for 2023. I have always liked his style of play and has great potential. But even I would say he needed to lift if he was to be extended and he didn’t really lift… until the very end of the season, when I suspect the decision was already made. I definitely don’t think he was one of the best second rowers in the NSW Cup last year.

It wasn’t a choice between Webb and Jed Stuart (if that’s what’s being suggested). Stuart is a bit of a utility… and he’s on a NSW Cup minimum deal. Webb was a supplementary list player and there’s only a maximum of six of those. Webb was in the business of competing for one of those spots. And had to be seen as a future top 30 player to take one of those spots.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Sua Fa’alogo re-signs with Melbourne until 2028 and can only play fullback.

Would love to make a play for Ryan Papenhuzen for 2025 tbh.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

You'd want to see him finish a season first.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

NoMan wrote: February 29, 2024, 1:57 pm Sounds like the Cowboys may still be struggling to find cash for Finefeuiaki even after Leluia went. You'd hope that the Raiders are trying to land him. With Hess out, maybe they would even be open to a swap for an early release.

With EW and Rapa going next year we should have no problem putting in a good offer and we will need another back row forward with NRL experience.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Josh Schuster with Manly chipping in half? Thoughts?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Id want them chipping in a lot more than half!
And i think he's super talented... he can play some very good football but there are so many red flags with that.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Agree - however, he is a backrower with a point of difference which the club is on record as saying they are after.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bluesbrother wrote:Agree - however, he is a backrower with a point of difference which the club is on record as saying they are after.
The last thing our squad needs is a somewhat talented, overpaid, incredibly lazy player with a history of being a massive pain in the ****.