Raiders player signing speculation 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by President Clinton »

Wow. Brutal round. Walsh, Clearly and Moses all gone for extended periods of time

I think the Eels will play Daejarn Asi at halfback FWIW.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

President Clinton wrote: March 25, 2024, 6:15 pm Wow. Brutal round. Walsh, Clearly and Moses all gone for extended periods of time

I think the Eels will play Daejarn Asi at halfback FWIW.
Good news for us.

Looks like the Sharks have lost a few forwards for this week as well.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Origin forward on the move?

Which former State of Origin front-rower could be heading for a warmer climate - and soon! The player has been deemed surplus to requirements at his current club but is being chased by a team north of the border. It's just a question of whether the two clubs can come to an arrangement and if they can, he will be packing his bags sometime in April.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2024- ... 648ad4ca27

Not sure where to put this but read in The Moles' article that a former Origin prop may be moving to a warmer climate in April due to being surplus to Club requirements. Really hope he wasn't referring to Papa. Obviously speculation on my behalf but he was the first player that came to mind.

Anyone heard rumblings? Could also be Woods or Klemmer but not many former Origin props around.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I think it’s highly unlikely to be Papa. He’s playing well and close to 300 games and can even break Jason Croker’s record next year. Tapine wanted to play with him and have him in the starting side even though Ricky was going to start him on the bench. I would be willing to give him an extra year and we have lost heaps of experience in Croker and Wighton and next year in Whitehead and Rapana.

There were rumours last year that Klemmer was on the outer and he’s expensive
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Your post makes more sense than my speculative question.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Not sure. Could be Papa but I doubt that this season. Even if it isnt Papa, its an interesting one - I think this year should be his last season with us. Otherwise we will definitely lose Trey Mooney. It would be nice if Papa retired and it was all smooth sailing but he might want to play on which is fair enough too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It can’t possibly be Papalii. The club is heavily invested in him for this season, and would dearly want him to play 300 games for the club this year.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Wiki Special wrote: March 27, 2024, 6:50 am Origin forward on the move?

Which former State of Origin front-rower could be heading for a warmer climate - and soon! The player has been deemed surplus to requirements at his current club but is being chased by a team north of the border. It's just a question of whether the two clubs can come to an arrangement and if they can, he will be packing his bags sometime in April.

Not sure where to put this but read in The Moles' article that a former Origin prop may be moving to a warmer climate in April due to being surplus to Club requirements. Really hope he wasn't referring to Papa. Obviously speculation on my behalf but he was the first player that came to mind.

Anyone heard rumblings? Could also be Woods or Klemmer but not many former Origin props around.
Hors?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: March 27, 2024, 10:10 am

Hors?
He’s not surplus to requirements either. He’s not even a former Origin prop, he’s a current one.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Probably someone like Aaron Woods who isnt even in first grade.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

That is almost definitely Christian Welch.

Went from captain to axed from the leadership group for this season. Had a serious drop off as a player last season.

Melbourne have to continually trim fat off the cap to keep Munster, Pap, Grant, Hughes, recently re-signing Fa’alogo and probably being forced to upgrade both wingers.

Their pack has competed every game thus far without Welch and NAS. And knowing Bellamy he probably thinks he can save 300k for a like for like or better player.

If this is Welch then I wouldn’t be surprised if the bloke Melbourne chase to replace him plays for Canberra.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

You may be right. Welch has really regressed. Melbourne were rumoured to be after Stefano from Wests but Bellamy would love one of our middles. Even Souths whose middles are weak. Sean Keppie was let go by Manly but was signed by Demetriou but even our middles in NSW Cup are better.
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on March 27, 2024, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andymachine
David Grant
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley, Ruben Wiki

Post by Andymachine »

I read that Stefano has a clause that if the Tigers don't play finals this year he can leave so that move may still be on the cards. Hopefully it is because I don't want Melbourne to come after Mooney. If they do though, he'd be mad not to go for it and he'd be a great pick up for them.

"The game owes me nothing, I owe the game everything." - Alan Tongue
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Welch sounds like the logical suggestion.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

The club chasing him may be the GC to replace Tino who is out for the season. Des has worked with Klemmer before at the Dogs but Welch cannot even make the 17 so it’s likely to be him
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

A bit of reading about ESL 9's right now. Seems like this bloke, Danny Walker would be the right one for us. Only 24, debuted for England last season. His highlights from 2023 look pretty well rounded.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm always cautious of highlight videos. You could put together a show reel on any of our current hookers that would make them look good.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dylan Napa is playing reserve grade for the Roosters, more likely to be him

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 27, 2024, 1:20 pm A bit of reading about ESL 9's right now. Seems like this bloke, Danny Walker would be the right one for us. Only 24, debuted for England last season. His highlights from 2023 look pretty well rounded.

He's a good player - a bit reminiscent of Hodgson in terms of craft.

Doesn't dominate the game enough, but confidence could help him achieve that.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I’m sold. Sign him up.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

MrPosh wrote: March 28, 2024, 1:34 am
Bluesbrother wrote: March 27, 2024, 1:20 pm A bit of reading about ESL 9's right now. Seems like this bloke, Danny Walker would be the right one for us. Only 24, debuted for England last season. His highlights from 2023 look pretty well rounded.

He's a good player - a bit reminiscent of Hodgson in terms of craft.

Doesn't dominate the game enough, but confidence could help him achieve that.
Thanks Posh. How's his defence?
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Why don't we just go to Warrington and offer to swap our Danny 9's.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

I still think Mitch Kenny is worth a crack. Defensively he is in the elite status. With a upcoming spine of Strange, Sanders and Stewart I don't think we need a creative 9. Someone who leads the defensive line/intensity in Kenny would be a smart move IMO. Dual premiership player coming from an elite system. I'd be throwing 6-700k at him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

600-700k is a tiny bit too rich for my blood when Mahoney got in that range
But agree he'd be a good target... right age bracket, from a system where they really cant afford to match offers for that position and would instantly upgrade us at a key spot.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Bluesbrother wrote: March 29, 2024, 7:44 pm I still think Mitch Kenny is worth a crack. Defensively he is in the elite status. With a upcoming spine of Strange, Sanders and Stewart I don't think we need a creative 9. Someone who leads the defensive line/intensity in Kenny would be a smart move IMO. Dual premiership player coming from an elite system. I'd be throwing 6-700k at him.
Disagree. You could throw Levi or Woolford into that Penrith team and they wouldnt play much different. I’d prefer a hooker with a bit of attacking nous.

Koroisau and Mahoney only signed with their current clubs for about $650k. We could have thrown Hodgo’s $900k at either one.

I reckon Kenny in most other teams looks completely bog average
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Fair go it all, Botman got me again!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Finchy wrote: March 29, 2024, 7:57 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: March 29, 2024, 7:44 pm I still think Mitch Kenny is worth a crack. Defensively he is in the elite status. With a upcoming spine of Strange, Sanders and Stewart I don't think we need a creative 9. Someone who leads the defensive line/intensity in Kenny would be a smart move IMO. Dual premiership player coming from an elite system. I'd be throwing 6-700k at him.
Disagree. You could throw Levi or Woolford into that Penrith team and they wouldnt play much different. I’d prefer a hooker with a bit of attacking nous.

Koroisau and Mahoney only signed with their current clubs for about $650k. We could have thrown Hodgo’s $900k at either one.

I reckon Kenny in most other teams looks completely bog average
Woolford could not play at the speed Penrith play.

Since Mahoney signed that contract, the cap has gone up by over 20% so 6-700 in the new money is 500ish in the old.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Also, Kenny isn't a long term play. I'd suggest a 2-3 year deal to tie us over and see how our youth develop. Cacciatore or Brophy have been highly touted.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Cacciotti.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

We have discussed signing the likes of Fifita in the other thread and it is very unlikely he would come here. Also Luki who St George are pursuing but looks to resign with Cowboys. KF of Cowboys is another great option.

But a left field option is NAS to play edge forward. I don't think he's a natural edge but he has played there in 2022 and was successful. Would be very damaging. There were rumours this week he is unhappy at Melbourne.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's a decent player but

a) signing former storm players that Bellemy is out on has typically not gone well for the new clubs
2) He's 28... not sure that's a tight fit for our timelines, think we need a younger recruit who will be in their peak during what we hope will be competitive 26-27 seasons, not on the back end of their career.

He's more of a middle than an edge imo too, i reckon there is a solid chance he ends up in NZ as an AFB replacment next year
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

NAS can't play on an edge consistently. Maybe to Warriors, but I thought they'd essentially straight swapped AFB for Hamlin Uele? Still NAS would beef up their pack even more.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 30, 2024, 9:04 pm We have discussed signing the likes of Fifita in the other thread and it is very unlikely he would come here. Also Luki who St George are pursuing but looks to resign with Cowboys. KF of Cowboys is another great option.

But a left field option is NAS to play edge forward. I don't think he's a natural edge but he has played there in 2022 and was successful. Would be very damaging. There were rumours this week he is unhappy at Melbourne.
This is not the edge we are looking for

** Jedi hand wave
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

BadnMean wrote:
Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 30, 2024, 9:04 pm We have discussed signing the likes of Fifita in the other thread and it is very unlikely he would come here. Also Luki who St George are pursuing but looks to resign with Cowboys. KF of Cowboys is another great option.

This is not the edge we are looking for

** Jedi hand wave
...Move along.

Move along, move along.

But alas, there was no 'moving along'.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I absolutely love NAS but 100% not as an edge.
He knows who he is, biggest hard ass in the game and plays that way.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer