Raiders player signing speculation 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by dubby »

And I'd be thrilled if we signed Chrichton. He is quality. If he doesn't go to RU, I think he'd go to STG or Dogs, as they seem to have the cap space. Maybe Souths if they don't retain Walker.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: past- Chicka, current- Savage

Post by BadnMean »

dubby wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:13 am
bonehead wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:10 am I wasn't suggesting it's that simple to just replicate penrith, moreso that we need to pipeline and prioririse our pathways and development

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
We do have a good catchment area. The Riverina, Monaro areas contain quality juniors.

We also need to align with other areas, like we did with Souths Logan.
I agree. We seemed to throw the baby out with the bathwater there because one or two players got homesick (Milf). But without Souths Logan we'd never have Papallii either, an atg Raider. Be great to re open that pathway or find another in QLD.

I thought Ricky had given up on England too until Smithies. We should lean into that further imo. Great hit rate so far.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

I wouldn't be opposed to Crichton, I thought we should have made a play earlier. But now I'm worried his price is too high. We've got to be careful as if these kids we have got hit thier straps we are going to need to pay top dollar to keep them all.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

bonehead wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:10 am I wasn't suggesting it's that simple to just replicate penrith, moreso that we need to pipeline and prioririse our pathways and development

Have a listen to this series, this is what they are doing already. It's quite reassuring in a way to hear the details.

PODCAST SERIES: The Raiders way: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... en-e20sovn

The first one and the ones by Carbone and Furner are more relevant. They talk through the whole system in detail and the limitations vs other clubs, plus how they are trying to work around those and the types of players they are looking for at all levels. It's pretty impressive when you consider they have 400 players in the system at any one time and scout them over years.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bluesbrother wrote: May 14, 2024, 10:47 am I wouldn't be opposed to Crichton, I thought we should have made a play earlier. But now I'm worried his price is too high. We've got to be careful as if these kids we have got hit thier straps we are going to need to pay top dollar to keep them all.
With EW moving on, we need an experienced and high-level edge. AC fits that mold. He would be a good example for Ata, Hosking, etc.

Chances of him coming here? :doubt:
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Bluesbrother wrote: May 14, 2024, 10:47 am I wouldn't be opposed to Crichton, I thought we should have made a play earlier. But now I'm worried his price is too high. We've got to be careful as if these kids we have got hit thier straps we are going to need to pay top dollar to keep them all.
How much is too high though? I'd be happy to pay overs for a player of the quality of Crichton. He's played for NSW, Australia, should have a few years left in him... it would be our biggest signing in a while. We need to pick up a second rower and he's far ahead of anybody else who is available.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 14, 2024, 11:18 am
How much is too high though? I'd be happy to pay overs for a player of the quality of Crichton. He's played for NSW, Australia, should have a few years left in him... it would be our biggest signing in a while. We need to pick up a second rower and he's far ahead of anybody else who is available.
Not sure, but if we had to pay 1 mil for DF then I'd suggest to lure Crichton we'd be looking at 750-850k range. For me that's too much for a bloke that isn't a backrower with a point of difference compared to what we currently have. I'd take him at 6-650k.

Crichton was born in the country so Canberra could have some appeal. However he went to high school in the eastern suburbs and is entertaining a deal from Rugby Union in France. To me that suggests lifestyle and a holiday might be on his mind. Not the traditional type that would be attracted to Canberra.
BJ
Bradley Clyde

Post by BJ »

dubby wrote:
BJ wrote: May 13, 2024, 8:47 pm
bonehead wrote:Look at Penrith, work hard on your pathways and recruit where you need to or get an opportunity to

The Penrith catchment has had thousands of Polynesians move into the region in the last few decades.

They’re a wonderfully athletic people who physically built for Rugby League and young Polynesian men take a fair bit of persuasion to move to another city that their parents don’t live in.

There’s always secondary factors that make it easier or harder for some clubs over others. Not twice as easy or hard as clubs like the Raiders sometimes make it. But if we picked up the Roosters and moved the club, their administration team and all their board members to Albury Wodonga, I bet they’d not be as successful as they are in Sydney’s inner eastern suburbs.
The Murray is a beautiful area. I'm not sure why you used that as an example.

Just as an aside, the Ovens Murray AFL competition is the second biggest and most prestigious AFL competition outside of Melbourne. There is plenty of cash there, but sadly, its all AFL-directed. If you said Kalgoorlie I'd get it :lol:
I only used Albury Wodonga as the next example I could think of for an inland population centre that was completely different to Bondi.

Yes it’s a great area on the Murray, but the point wasn’t about the exact location I chose, just that different locations pose different challenges for a football club and its administration.

I’m guessing Liverpool offers a better location to base an English Premier League than Burnley despite them only being about 50km apart.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Bluesbrother wrote: May 14, 2024, 11:23 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 14, 2024, 11:18 am
Not sure, but if we had to pay 1 mil for DF then I'd suggest to lure Crichton we'd be looking at 750-850k range. For me that's too much for a bloke that isn't a backrower with a point of difference compared to what we currently have. I'd take him at 6-650k.

Crichton was born in the country so Canberra could have some appeal. However he went to high school in the eastern suburbs and is entertaining a deal from Rugby Union in France. To me that suggests lifestyle and a holiday might be on his mind. Not the traditional type that would be attracted to Canberra.
I realise he was out of the game for a while but at his best and in his current form he's still one of the better second rowers. I wouldn't hesitate to pay him $850k a year tbh. Unless Roosters release another second rower like Tupouniua the other options aren't exciting.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

BJ wrote: May 14, 2024, 11:30 am
dubby wrote:
bonehead wrote:Look at Penrith, work hard on your pathways and recruit where you need to or get an opportunity to

The Penrith catchment has had thousands of Polynesians move into the region in the last few decades.

They’re a wonderfully athletic people who physically built for Rugby League and young Polynesian men take a fair bit of persuasion to move to another city that their parents don’t live in.

There’s always secondary factors that make it easier or harder for some clubs over others. Not twice as easy or hard as clubs like the Raiders sometimes make it. But if we picked up the Roosters and moved the club, their administration team and all their board members to Albury Wodonga, I bet they’d not be as successful as they are in Sydney’s inner eastern suburbs.
The Murray is a beautiful area. I'm not sure why you used that as an example.

Just as an aside, the Ovens Murray AFL competition is the second biggest and most prestigious AFL competition outside of Melbourne. There is plenty of cash there, but sadly, its all AFL-directed. If you said Kalgoorlie I'd get it :lol:
I only used Albury Wodonga as the next example I could think of for an inland population centre that was completely different to Bondi.

Yes it’s a great area on the Murray, but the point wasn’t about the exact location I chose, just that different locations pose different challenges for a football club and its administration.

I’m guessing Liverpool offers a better location to base an English Premier League than Burnley despite them only being about 50km apart.
I thought that's what you were doing, but alluding to Canberra.

NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

I guess it doesn't hurt to ask but Crichton has said his priority is Union, then a team that can win a comp soon. Money less of a factor. So it's very long odds of a move to Canberra unless none of the top teams are interested.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote:
The Nickman wrote: May 14, 2024, 6:05 am
reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
reptar wrote: May 13, 2024, 8:45 pm I dunno why, but the thought that Ricky should have a chat to him just popped into my mind twice
I think you're right, but after his comments today that he's not going to sit behind anyone and there hasn't really been any discussion with the rorters, I think RS needs to at least have a chat with him.
Yes. That was exactly what I was thinking! Exactly! Thinking! Yes! 5hosebfronts.
Definitely 5hosebfronts. Couldn’t have said it bletter myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’ve got a trademark pending on 5hosebfronts as a business name I’m starting with mike.
Oh nice! I’d be more than happy to invest 7 points.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote:Hey guys. These last kind of insights and comments into development pathways and relative club strengths and weaknesses is why the Greenhouse ‘generally’ rises well above other rugby league fan sites.

People providing insights and opinions into NRL not just bagging out players, the game, other clubs, other people who post, etc.
Shut up BJ
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

More like "bag the development pathways" forum
BJ
Bradley Clyde

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:
BJ wrote:Hey guys. These last kind of insights and comments into development pathways and relative club strengths and weaknesses is why the Greenhouse ‘generally’ rises well above other rugby league fan sites.

People providing insights and opinions into NRL not just bagging out players, the game, other clubs, other people who post, etc.
Shut up BJ
Normal service now resumed. Image
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BJ wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Shut up BJ
You’re right, you know.
President Clinton
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

The Nickman wrote: May 14, 2024, 2:21 pm
BJ wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Shut up BJ
You’re right, you know.
Right about normal service resuming?
Raidernation
David Grant
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

BadnMean wrote: May 14, 2024, 10:34 am

We do have a good catchment area. The Riverina, Monaro areas contain quality juniors.

I agree. We seemed to throw the baby out with the bathwater there because one or two players got homesick (Milf). But without Souths Logan we'd never have Papallii either, an atg Raider. Be great to re open that pathway or find another in QLD.

I thought Ricky had given up on England too until Smithies. We should lean into that further imo. Great hit rate so far.
Junior nsemba from Wigan looks a weapon. Tall, athletic, plays right side second row and prop.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Has anyone heard whether we are in talks with Isaiah Papali'i of the Tigers? He's got another year left on his deal at Wests but they may have cap issues with upgrading Stefano (if he stays), Galvin and Luai joining. Fainu brothers on expensive deals and now one of them starts at 2nd row, pushing Bateman into lock.

He played very well at Parra and although he's not as good as Crichton, would be a boost to our edge forward stocks. Would fit in with the NZ contingent - Rapana, Kris, Timoko, Tapine etc.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

President Clinton wrote:
The Nickman wrote: May 14, 2024, 2:21 pm
BJ wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Shut up BJ
You’re right, you know.
Right about normal service resuming?
About everything… probably
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: May 14, 2024, 8:44 am
Botman wrote:

The penrith catchment area is not replicable in terms of sheer numbers and level of talent
The Panthers should never be outside the top 6 tbh, the current run is a result of a pretty special crop of kids, and that's probably not replicable long term either (i.e its not very likely they'll be just an impossible, unstoppable juggernaut for the rest of time)... but the talent based will always be there for them to be good if they have their **** together

Teams trying to be the Panthers will fail. There is lessons to learn in how they run their pathways and junior systems and preparing them to be FG footballers but it's not as simple as "fix your pathways, be penrith, profit"
The Warriors are the other club that could be a perennial powerhouse with their junior catchment pool. Perhaps Newcastle too.

The problem with the warriors is they are, or at least have been a 2nd class citizen with the elite athletes
If you're a rugby/rugby league athlete the typical dream for NZers has not been to play in the NRL and play for the Kiwis. It's to play for the All Blacks.

I've seen some articles and stuff come out recently saying that RL is on the rise over there and they're really getting their pathways sorted, and with the Super Rugby competition really dying on the vine there is a chance for RL to establish a greater share of the top tier talent but i don't know enough about it to say if that's just RL wish casting or if there is any validity to it.
But yeah NZ is probably the one club that could replicate the Panthers situation.
If you look at the NZ team that played Australia last October, CNK is the only player in the 17 who plays for the Warriors.. i know that's not a perfect measure, there are injuries of course and some these lads whilst being born in NZ might have come to Australia at a young age before they'd be on the Warriors radar.
But it's a lot of elite NZ talent who for whatever reasons slipped through the warriors hands
That's exactly right. The catchment is there and it should only build as Rugby League takes more market share (which it will).

The juniors that the Warriors let slip through the cracks makes them look worse than the Tigers.

It astounds me that the Warriors don't make the finals every year. They should be perennial top 6 contenders.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: past- Chicka, current- Savage

Post by BadnMean »

Raidernation wrote: May 14, 2024, 3:24 pm

Junior nsemba from Wigan looks a weapon. Tall, athletic, plays right side second row and prop.
Never seen him play but he's a massive unit. Could be the "point of difference" type player.

Mr Posh any intel?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:
Bluesbrother wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:44 am
Botman wrote: May 14, 2024, 8:18 am
Bluesbrother wrote: May 14, 2024, 8:13 am I still think Schuster is worth a chat. We were quoted saying we're after a backrower with a point of difference. He is certainly that. For the right price ofcourse.

Crichton seems like a risk as he will command a lot more money - only started playing well in a contract year, mental health concerns and not a lot different to what we currently have on our books.
Stylistically? Sure, i can get see the value in a bigger body and different sort of player to other edges we have.
But quality wise? We have nothing like him
What does Crichton do that Hosking didn't in his start to the season? Hosking is probably a 400k saving on Crichton and he does the same job. Crichton is a good player but the form he is hitting now will see a dopey club pay way too much for him - I hope that isn't us. Put it this way, Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy would never pay big dollars for a guy like Crichton because he is essentially a glorified toiler.

Schuster I could potentially see at the Dragons under Flanagan or Sharks now if he wants to play in the 6. If he is happy to be in the back row I'd rather him than Crichton for what he offers.

Hosking was low key a bit of a disaster defensively, no one cared because he was otherwise playing really good footy and we havent had good edge play for a while now, and what he gave us in attack was maybe 60% of what Crichton is capable of. I think comparing the two suggesting they do the same job is EXTREMELY generous Image
Yeah, I think Hosking did a good job with the ball but in defence demonstrated why he was a 27 year old with 25 first grade games to his name.

Great player to have in your squad, but he's not the long term answer for us.

There is approximately zero chance Angus Crichton comes to the Raiders. We need to look elsewhere. Playing inside Timoko I'm looking for a lockdown defender and a guy who is happy to run a hard outside in line to draw a few defenders.

Battered Savage
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Daley
Present: Strange

Post by Battered Savage »

Stitili Tuponua (spelling) from the Roosters has been given permission to test the waters...

I had big wraps on him about 18 months ago... Not sure what's happening with him? Injury? Form? Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Isaiah Papali'i isnt a bad call. He is a quality player and I was surprised he is only 25, feels like he has been around forever. I'm not sure he is the good enough to sign early and hope he can force a release though, they'd have to be sure of it.

Plus it won't be the Raiders without a Papa in the side.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by Botman »

Dusty wrote: May 14, 2024, 7:17 pm Stitili Tuponua (spelling) from the Roosters has been given permission to test the waters...

I had big wraps on him about 18 months ago... Not sure what's happening with him? Injury? Form? Etc.

Haven’t liked much of his game the past 2 years
Has been given opportunities to cement a spot in fg and comes up short a lot
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dusty wrote:Stitili Tuponua (spelling) from the Roosters has been given permission to test the waters...

Had a few injuries, mainly ditching cap for Fifita

I'd say they'd be pushing the buyer to take on a fair chunk of the freight

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
Dusty wrote: May 14, 2024, 7:17 pm Stitili Tuponua (spelling) from the Roosters has been given permission to test the waters...

Haven’t liked much of his game the past 2 years
Has been given opportunities to cement a spot in fg and comes up short a lot
Coming back from an ACL suffered late in 2022. ACLs usually take 18 months to get some form and confidence back. He may be worth a punt, but thorough medicals would be essential. He's probably more likely to come here than Crichton. Has anyone been tracking his NSW cup form this year. He still looks a bit lacking in the NRL he has played, particularly his lateral movement.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Don’t mind Sitili but he has definitely plateaued.

Papalii is an interesting one. He’s been a bit of a let down at Wests. Looks to me like his future may be as a middle forward rather than an edge.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

-TW- wrote: May 14, 2024, 7:33 pm
Dusty wrote:Stitili Tuponua (spelling) from the Roosters has been given permission to test the waters...

Had a few injuries, mainly ditching cap for Fifita

I'd say they'd be pushing the buyer to take on a fair chunk of the freight

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Ditching cap? You don’t actually believe that do you. It’s a simple hey NRL look we don’t cheat we had to get rid of somebody see. It will come out that he is on $700k now that he is being released
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

julian87 wrote: May 14, 2024, 9:22 pm Don’t mind Sitili but he has definitely plateaued.

Papalii is an interesting one. He’s been a bit of a let down at Wests. Looks to me like his future may be as a middle forward rather than an edge.
Bring in Joash Papalii from the Dogs as well. Make it a Papalii triple threat!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

BadnMean wrote: May 14, 2024, 6:37 pm

Never seen him play but he's a massive unit. Could be the "point of difference" type player.

Mr Posh any intel?
I mentioned him a few pages ago.

He's a real unit and very powerful. Too early to tell if his overall game will get there, but he's got every physical characteristic you'd want.

Wigan haven't missed a beat replacing Kai Pearce-Paul with this guy.

In all seriousness, if the Raiders really did want to invest in an area, Wigan would be the best place. I don't think there's more fertile ground in the whole of rugby league. I would swear that at any point in the last 40 years, half of any England/GB team would be from that one small town.
Hong Kong Raider
Ruben Wiki

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

MrPosh wrote: May 14, 2024, 10:38 pm
BadnMean wrote: May 14, 2024, 6:37 pm

Mr Posh any intel?
I mentioned him a few pages ago.

He's a real unit and very powerful. Too early to tell if his overall game will get there, but he's got every physical characteristic you'd want.

Wigan haven't missed a beat replacing Kai Pearce-Paul with this guy.

In all seriousness, if the Raiders really did want to invest in an area, Wigan would be the best place. I don't think there's more fertile ground in the whole of rugby league. I would swear that at any point in the last 40 years, half of any England/GB team would be from that one small town.
I started to follow Wigan with interest when Brett Kenny and Chicka Ferguson played for them in 1985 and there was the Challenge Cup final v Peter Sterling's Hull. They used to have approx 80% of the GB team - Shaun Edwards, Andy Gregory, Joe Lydon, Gary Connolly, Martin Offiah, Andy Platt, Andy Goodway, Andy Farrell etc plus Kiwi union turned league stars like Frano Botica and Va'aiga Tuigamala.

Maybe someone like Whitehead can be our Chief Recruitment Officer for the U.K.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

That was quite some team. Possibly the best club side any UK sport has ever seen.

But that wasn't my point. Have a look through the Saints, Warrington, Salford teams, etc.

They'll be peppered with players from the junior clubs in Wigan. There's nowhere quite like it.
Nadruku
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Nadruku

Post by Nadruku »

Sitili Tupouniua is definitely worth a punt. Still only 26. Has had a a tough couple of years but a change of scenery could do him good