Raiders player signing speculation 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2024

Post by NoMan »

I mean if somehow Manly offered to pay half for his whole deal then he is probably worth a punt at 400k. Can't imagine that happening though, he was already lazy when they renewed him and they didn't seem too worried.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

With Brock Shepherds arrival wonder if we/he could use that to get Gordon Chan Kum Tong here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

I think the upside of Schuster is huge. He isn't the sort of player on the edge that strikes fear in terms of physicality but he does have a very unique skill set. Good point about Sheppard.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Schuster is heading down that path of a very talented player who never reaches his potential. Only due to attitude and work ethic. It's a big no for me.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Schuster reminds me of a Joey Leluia. And I think Ricky could get the best out of Schuster like he did with BJ.

In Ricky We Trust
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We're a club that needs to take the occasional risk as we're just not going to get the player who has 2 or 3 Sydney clubs also competing for them.

I'd take a punt on Schuster at the right price which would be around half a million. I might even shoot up to $600k. He would need to commit to playing in the second row, I don't see him as a half. He'd give us a point of difference which other targets such as Luciano Leilua wouldn't.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Brew wrote:Schuster reminds me of a Joey Leluia. And I think Ricky could get the best out of Schuster like he did with BJ.

BJ Leluia was a loose canon with some attitude issues, but he wasn’t considered as lazy in games or at training as Schuster.

Easily distracted was probably more BJ’s training issue and trying too hard with stupid plays was probably more his on field issue.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Schuster isn't high on my list but if he could get back to his best it would be a good buy. High risk though, but our options are also running out. Chan Kum Tong would be a great pick up.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Don't need a train wreck to disrupt the young guys development, let shuster play a full season first, we have some good young second rowers
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

i am a BIG BIG bet on talent guy... if you have the right culture, the right set up and the right coach and right senior leadership... betting on distressed assets and talent is the right bets for our club to make

I would not bet on Schuster. And he's very talented but there are just too many red flags for me. If he's on 800k-ish as reported, i wouldnt take a punt unless we're getting him for less than 350k

And i think eventually someone better will take our money at edge forward.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Neeeegz wrote: March 6, 2024, 8:44 pm Don't need a train wreck to disrupt the young guys development, let shuster play a full season first, we have some good young second rowers
That's true - I was pretty impressed by Mitchell Spencer in the trial. Stikes me as a newer version of Hudson Young. Keen to see him go in NSW cup.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Thoughts about Soni Luke of Penrith who cannot make Panthers 17. Xavier Willison who cannot make first 17 of Broncos ? Very surprised that Marty Taupau replaced him for the Vegas match.

Newcastle signed two good prospects from the UK, we should also be looking for five eighth and edge forward talent there
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

No for me on Luke. Just seems like an average hooker to me. Xavier is in the broncos long term plans. Only way he leaves there is if he's offered silly money.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

I was shocked Soni Luke is 28. Seems like he was the next big thing for ages but hasn't kicked on. Probably a pass for me as a result. I'd still like them to chase Egan as he would be an upgrade on the current players but wouldn't roadblock any upgrades or Cacciotti if he keeps improving.

Willison is a great prospect but as a middle he isn't going to be a priority. I agree the UK should be a priority.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Luke would be an upgrade on our current guys but not to a level that would move the needle
If we’re going after a hooker, I’d like to aim higher
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Luke is similar to Danny Levi/Tom Starling. Xavier Willison won't be leaving the Broncos and is largely a middle, which we're already overrun with.

I'd like to keep looking around the Cowboys or Roosters backrow stocks. Another place might be the Tigers. With Bateman and Papalii on their books there could be a young bloke with a blocked path there. Pure speculation on that but there might be something.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Agree with most on Luke. Been an emerging prospect for a while yet hasn't stepped up to the next level. Incremental improvement for us at best. I'd rather be looking for a younger guy coming through.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'd be chatting with the Brailey at the knights, word on the street Crossland is the 9 now, I'd back our medical team to keep him fit

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: March 8, 2024, 4:51 pm I'd be chatting with the Brailey at the knights, word on the street Crossland is the 9 now, I'd back our medical team to keep him fit
Yeah one of Crossland or Brailey will be moving on at their next contract talks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Brailey is a good player when healthy
Not sure any medical team can keep him healthy but he’d be an interesting bloke to throw a dart at

I’d be surprised if Crosslands ends up anything more than an average footballer
Seems like a jack of all trades type. Not particularly talented and no special athletic traits
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:Brailey is a good player when healthy
Not sure any medical team can keep him healthy but he’d be an interesting bloke to throw a dart at

I’d be surprised if Crosslands ends up anything more than an average footballer
Seems like a jack of all trades type. Not particularly talented and no special athletic traits
Crossland is a quality human but I don't rate him.

The Knights medical team have always been amateur hour, that's my dart throw on Brailey.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Sanders looked good in NSW cup today. Scored one try put a couple on. Definitely a bit more variety to his game than Fog. He did choke the goal kick to tie the game though.

Shame Matt Arthur is under contract because he is an absolute gun and had a good combo with Sanders.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NoMan wrote: March 9, 2024, 4:59 pm Sanders looked good in NSW cup today. Scored one try put a couple on. Definitely a bit more variety to his game than Fog. He did choke the goal kick to tie the game though.

Shame Matt Arthur is under contract because he is an absolute gun and had a good combo with Sanders.
Yeah i watched a little bit of that too
Thought he had some nice touches, was unlucky not to pick up a couple of extra TA's with some nice desperation tackles by the dogs fullback on the line. But he kicked well and looked very comforatable at that level.

Agreed about Matt Arthur, he looked fantastic
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hearing the Eels are doing everything they can to keep Sanders. We might end up in a bit of a bidding war after Round 6.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

greeneyed wrote: March 9, 2024, 7:14 pm Hearing the Eels are doing everything they can to keep Sanders. We might end up in a bit of a bidding war after Round 6.
Is that keeping him beyond thus season or just for 24?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

They're not going to give up without a fight, but i still cant see how they can match our combination of money and pathway to FG.
But who knows, guess we'll just have to wait and see... stacking some wins early would aid in our cause.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Why would Parramatta spend up on Sanders when they have Brown and Moses locked in?

It will **** their cap. But more importantly (not their problem though) it **** the competition to do that.

If Sanders has any ambition he knows there’s no genuine role for him at Parramatta for at least 3 seasons.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Green Machine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

Is every Titans loss a step closer to signing Fifita?
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Botman wrote: March 9, 2024, 7:32 pm They're not going to give up without a fight, but i still cant see how they can match our combination of money and pathway to FG.
But who knows, guess we'll just have to wait and see... stacking some wins early would aid in our cause.
I think seeing someone like Strange get the 5/8 spot also helps our cause to recruit him, and like you say, joining a club on the up. I have little confidence in the salary cap forcing Parra’s hand. If Moses’ groin is bad Brad Arthur may even play him in FG soon - he’s probably better than Asi even now. I anticipate other clubs like Canterbury wanting to sign him
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Other clubs came for him last year too, he picked us
Things can and may have changed. Maybe they come again harder and win out.

But the Eels also need to consider they have Kelma Tuilagi too, who's a potential superstar half himself, with a **** ton of talent... they've got two awesome halves who have years. The salary cap is going to force Parra's hand 100%, and it may not be for him but if they keep him it will come at a cost. As they'll be needing to pay their back up half as if he's a NRL starter.

I dont know, i could be totally wrong and he'll stay in Sydney either at Parra or another sydney club. But im taking a positive approach to this, i want us to get it done, i think we will and if im setting myself up for a brutal crash, so be it.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I wonder what the pathway would be for Sanders at the Raiders?

Can’t see him playing alongside Fogarty.

Big role of the dice for Stuart to play him alongside Strange with Stewart at fullback. At least for the next year or 2, so 2026 at the earliest.

In my view he would have to back himself to out perform Fogarty and force himself into the team.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Strange is a natural right half and secondary kicker
Sanders is a natural left half and primary kicker
Stewart is a ball playing fullback

Fogarty is off contract at the end of 2025 and I would wager a big part of the pitch he’d be fast tracked as Strange has been and as Stewart is being done

The path way is quite clear.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

If Fog kicks like he did on Thursday and takes the team deep into the finals, then yeah, the path would be blocked for a year. Otherwise he is just keeping the seat warm for Sanders or another young signing.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Green Machine wrote: March 9, 2024, 7:57 pm Is every Titans loss a step closer to signing Fifita?
I think so. Was thinking that last night. Big Dave will go his whole career underutilised if he stays up there. Which would be a shame for him and the game. I have been very underwhelmed by the Titans. I thought they would offer more under Des. It's round 1 but to get thumped by the Dragons is pretty dire.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yeah, the Eels might be doing everything they can to keep Sanders, but they certainly can't offer him more money or opportunity to snag a First Grade spot than we can. In that basis, it would be a miracle for them to hold onto him.

Maybe the Dragons or another Sydney club will swoop in. If that's the case, it will be disappointing, but you'd like to think we're in the box seat.

The other thing is, he's certainly not a home run prospect. It's still a roll of the dice.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 10, 2024, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.