The Politics Thread 2024

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: The Politics Thread 2024

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: February 23, 2024, 3:33 pm Australia Day was always a BBQ, a drink and some backyard cricket in my youth.
That's great
You want to have a crack at guessing what First Nations people's Australia Day has always been about?

If it helps, its not BBQ, booze and cricket.

Also... why cant you have a BBQ, a drink and some backyard cricket on say Jan 19th or March 3rd? Or any of the other reasonable alternate dates
Why is it so important to you that you can have a BBQ, beer and play cricket specifically on Jan 26th?
Last edited by Botman on February 23, 2024, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

So so boring.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
gerg wrote: February 23, 2024, 11:14 am
The Nickman wrote:Lunar New Year? What's that, dubs?
It's similar to Australia day Nickman. On Australia day skinheads and bogan Australians roam the streets draped in their Australian flag, exposing their Southern Cross tattoos and intimidate and harrass people who aren't white. On Chinese New Year, those damn Chinese immigrants threaten and intimidate all non Chinese people with their dumplings and other delicious food and lion dance.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Whilst I agree Lunar new year is great and dont like the 2GB line of argument comparing them.

I think you have over hammed australia day a bit.

Australia day was celebrated by most with a barbecue and some friends maybe a flag maybe not. But to suggest it was solely the province of celebration for hardcore intimadory people is incorrect. I would say that it was not to dissimilar to how a lot of other european countries celebrated their national day.

The only issue is the date. Then everyone can get on and celebrate a day of being Australian in whatever fashion they like. Though I imagine there will still be some people who bitch and moan because that is what they are accustomed to doing.
Of course I was exaggerating for effect, but I'm sure it depends on where you live. Canberra being a pretty good yardstick for celebrating multiculturalism will have a very different feeling to it on Australia Day than say, Cronulla or outback NSW and QLD.

Also agree on the date change.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: February 23, 2024, 7:59 pm
dubby wrote: February 23, 2024, 3:33 pm Australia Day was always a BBQ, a drink and some backyard cricket in my youth.
That's great
You want to have a crack at guessing what First Nations people's Australia Day has always been about?

Also... why cant you have a BBQ, a drink and some backyard cricket on say Jan 19th or March 3rd? Or any of the other reasonable alternate dates
Why is it so important to you that you can have a BBQ, beer and play cricket specifically on Jan 26th?
Like it or not, Jan 26 has historical significance.

And do not attempt to pretend the aboriginal people were living peaceably. They were hundreds of nomadic tribes, often at war with each other.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

How far can you go back and keep banging on about it ****, can I get some compensation for the many colonisations on Sicily over the eons? At some point you have to accept what was..was, and whatever happened happened and I am where I am today, surrounded in Beer, pokies and Taylor swift.

This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

The Politics Thread 2024

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote: Like it or not, Jan 26 has historical significance.
You’ve got the right argument and the wrong conclusion from it
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

dubby wrote:
That's great

And do not attempt to pretend the aboriginal people were living peaceably. They were hundreds of nomadic tribes, often at war with each other.
Again you miss the point by 1000km

Well done, it's really impressive
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: February 24, 2024, 9:24 am
That's great

Sorry dubs, you missed the questions there.
Sometimes these things happen. So let me be clear... Can you please answer these two very direct questions:

1. If you had to guess, what do you think Australia Day on January 26th has been about for our first nations people? For you it's about a BBQ, a beer and cricket... What do you think it is for them?

2. What it is about a BBQ, beer and cricket that needs to be done specifically on January 26th and not another date? Does the beer or steak taste different on Jan 19th? Does a cricket ball not work the day way on March 3rd as it does January 26th?
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

It was the date the old bill landed and gave you the opportunity to troll dubby..

This place is woke.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Off wrote:It was the date the old bill landed and gave you the opportunity to troll dubby..

Yet they accuse me of missing the point.

Let's be assured. Not ever single aboriginal person is offended by Jan 26. Some actually love this nation.

I have not the time and inclination to interview every single aboriginal person their views on Jan 26. Or whatever day they want to celebrate this fantastic country.

Aboriginal people receive more funding than most. They receive priority for jobs, schools, health care, housing, etc.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You keep missing very basic and direct questions, Dubs.
You've got a lot time to talk about the topic why cant you answer simple questions?

1. If you had to guess, what do you think Australia Day on January 26th has been about for our first nations people?
2. What it is about a BBQ, beer and cricket that needs to be done specifically on January 26th and not another date?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:You keep missing very basic and direct questions, Dubs.
You've got a lot time to talk about the topic why cant you answer simple questions?

1. If you had to guess, what do you think Australia Day on January 26th has been about for our first nations people?
2. What it is about a BBQ, beer and cricket that needs to be done specifically on January 26th and not another date?
He won't answer because it's a slippery slope. We all know where it leads.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

gerg wrote:

He’s already spouting off his typical garbage, how worse can it get?
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: February 24, 2024, 12:47 pm
gerg wrote:

He’s already spouting off his typical garbage, how worse can it get?
Anyone vehemently insisting that Oz day must remain on January 26 is most likely an ****.

No one is saying that you can’t or shouldn’t have a public holiday. No one is saying you shouldn’t be proud of and celebrate living in one of the best countries in the world. No one is even saying you cant find the remaining outlets who haven’t discontinued their cheap Chinese flags and purchase all their stock to demonstrate how patriotic you are.

Most people are just calling for a national day that doesn’t actively offend and is not hurtful to a significant number of Australians.

And for those more nationalistic folk inclined to drape themselves in the flag, wouldn’t it be better to have a date that is not maligned every year, where you can crack on with the BBQs and beers without the pall over it evert time the date rolls around?

I see no downside to changing the date and I suspect most who are still clinging to it are one or a combination of racist, mean spirited or stupid.
Up The Milk
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: February 24, 2024, 11:22 am You keep missing very basic and direct questions, Dubs.

Jan 26 is a historical event. If you need explaining why it's significant to our nation, then your second question is moot.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

If not Jan 26, when?

What date will be satisfying enough?

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

dubby wrote: February 24, 2024, 2:36 pm If not Jan 26, when?

What date will be satisfying enough?
How about 3 March?

That is when the Australia Act was enacted and we no longer bowed to the Privy Council as our highest court.

Of course, changing it to that date might be the best of all worlds in reflecting a date where Australia made genuine steps forward in terms of independence and sovereignty. While at the same time the change would be a positive gesture of recognition to Indigenous Australians.

But then of course it would deny the Dubbys and Qs of the world a precious chance to demonstrate how anti-woke and commonsense they are, and that would be awful.
Up The Milk
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

March 3 is also World Wildlife Day.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: February 24, 2024, 3:16 pm March 3 is also World Wildlife Day.
With all due respect, get the **** **** out of here. As if you give a **** **** about World Wildlife day :lol: :lol:
A few alternate suggestions i like

Jan 19 - a week earlier than Jan 26 and the date 19/01 is a link to the year of federation 1901

May 3 - as above the date the Australia Act was enacted

And this is my personal choice:
May 27 - the date of the 1967 referrendum to ammend the contitution to allow parliment to legislate in relation to our Indigenous people and allowed for their inclusion in the national census. Perhaps Australia day should be the date where we as a country, to the tune of 91% decided to accept ALL australias as part of australia?
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: February 24, 2024, 4:05 pm
With all due respect, get the **** **** out of here. As if you give a **** **** about World Wildlife day :lol: :lol:

Jan 19 - a week earlier than Jan 26 and the date 19/01 is a link to the year of federation 1901

May 27 - the date of the 1967 referrendum to ammend the contitution to allow parliment to legislate in relation to our Indigenous people and allowed for their inclusion in the national census. Perhaps Australia day should be the date where we as a country, to the tune of 91% decided to accept ALL australias as part of australia?
It was satirical, mate 🤣.

All those dates wouldn't be relevant if we didn't enter into Sydney Harbor on a particular day.

And no matter what date you set, someone else will disagree and want it changed.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: February 24, 2024, 2:34 pm
Botman wrote: February 24, 2024, 11:22 am You keep missing very basic and direct questions, Dubs.

Jan 26 is a historical event. If you need explaining why it's significant to our nation, then your second question is moot.
Why wont you answer very simple questions?
I honestly think you're afraid to earnestly answer those questions because it will expose that on question one, you fully understand the pain the date causes for our Indigenous Australians. And on question two, it changes nothing for you. You're objecting out of spite and nothing more. Spite for Indigenous Australians.

Which is quite a statement, and an unsurprising one, about your character and what you stand for.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: February 24, 2024, 1:36 pm I see no downside to changing the date and I suspect most who are still clinging to it are one or a combination of racist, mean spirited or stupid.
Absolutely 100% spot on.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Federation Day 1 January. Australia became a nation. Give everyone an extra day off over Christmas/New Year. Everything’s closed anyway. Barbeque your **** off.

January 26 is very divisive, clearly. Why would we want a national holiday where so many people see it’s anything but a reason for celebration?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:

You missed the most obvious one, May 8, come on now!

You also have July 30, which was when the first Aus Day was celebrated.

Personally, I’m a fan of May 3, or 19 Jan for the 1901
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: February 24, 2024, 4:11 pm
dubby wrote: February 24, 2024, 2:34 pm

Why wont you answer very simple questions?
I honestly think you're afraid to earnestly answer those questions because it will expose that on question one, you fully understand the pain the date causes for our Indigenous Australians. And on question two, it changes nothing for you. You're objecting out of spite and nothing more. Spite for Indigenous Australians.

Which is quite a statement, and an unsurprising one, about your character and what you stand for.
I think you're being very broad and over generalised in your first question.

I'm not arrogant enough to answer for that entire genre. I just can't.

Yet you assume it was the worst thing that ever happened to them?

If not for British settlement, the French would have taken it.

Here's a heads up. World migration and exploration has been going on forever. Every continent, most countries, have had other people come and either settle or invade.

Frankly, the settlement of Australia was quiet peaceful.

Yes, some atrocities occurred. Changing the date won't fix anything.

And I guarantee you they came from somewhere else. They just didn't spring up out of the ground.

Our government offers them many benefits and services in attempt to serve and help.

As i said, and you've ignored, they were not a united nation, they were a series of warring tribes fighting over land, food, women and dying young.

British settlement has absolutely enhanced their lives. For goodness sake Nick, they didn't use the wheel.

Feel sorry all you want.

I'm not doing it out of spite, and i absolutely detest you for saying it.

Up until now you'd engaged far more respectful than others.

But as usual, name calling and ad hominem comments make your argument more persuasive.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You are smart enough to know why the January 26th date is one that causes mixed feelings at best and great pain at worst to many indigenous Australians. And non Indigenous Australians too (as this thread shows).

You know full well what that day means to you, by your own words - a BBQ, beer and a game of cricket, can be had on ANY DAY of the year and it would not impact your enjoyment of those activities. It would not change or impact your life what so ever if Australia day was held on Jan 19 or March 27 or any date.

And yet you hold firm on needing this event to be held on 26th and have offered only that it's a significant date in history as reasoning for that position.

January 26th is indeed a significant historical date, but there are a very many other historical dates that batter align with what Australia is, what is stands for as a nation and as a people and why it is such a great country. As has been pointed out and you just dimiss them with little care or consideration. Not interested at all.

Detest me all you like for holding you to account, but you have given me other conclusion i can reach, provided me no alternative motivation for your insistance on a January 26th date. And in fact that post above only strengthens my position... your entire post there is coded (and in some cases not so coded!) language to basically say Indigenous Australians were uncivilised savages that were damn lucky to be subjugated and dispossessed by Great Britain.
Im more than happy to believe the best in people but you've given me no reason in this discussion or previous ones to believe your position is rooted in anything but as Mickey put it - "a combination of racist, mean spirited or stupid."

And FWIW i dont think you're stupid.
Last edited by Botman on February 24, 2024, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Reading this is infuriating. Good think I’m not a mod because I censor Bull.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

It's the date the great Naval Explorer Captain Cook planted his anchor in the bay, I love the fact he did.

This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That would be the 29th of April.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

unreal **** from Q there. Good grief :lol: :lol:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Well I'm up for the 29th of April then.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

We can have mourn the rest celebration day mid year.

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Good to see you know your judo well greeneyed.

This place is woke.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Federation Day 1 January. Australia became a nation. Give everyone an extra day off over Christmas/New Year. Everything’s closed anyway. Barbeque your **** off.

January 26 is very divisive, clearly. Why would we want a national holiday where so many people see it’s anything but a reason for celebration?
Did, did GE just swear?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

You know the nonsense has hit 11 when it pushes GE to profanity.