Las Vegas Raiders: Canberra puts hand up for blockbuster trip in 2025

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders have set their sights on starting their 2025 NRL campaign in Sin City.

"The next CEO's meeting will be in Vegas ... we're looking at facilities and hopefully we can be that team the year after," CEO Don Furner said. "I'll contact the Las Vegas Raiders before I go over and see if we're the team in '25 could we train where they are. We're hoping to be the team in '25.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

"We've got Latrell, Jack Wighton coming from Canberra - the Canberrans are still a bit upset about that" Prime Minister Anthony Albanese PM rubs salt into Raiders' wounds over Wighton: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Las Vegas Raiders: Canberra puts hand up for blockbuster trip in 2025

Post by greeneyed »

Basically, the story is we would have gone in 2024 if the Rabbitohs didn’t put their hand up in the end.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

greeneyed wrote:Basically, the story is we would have gone in 2024 if the Rabbitohs didn’t put their hand up in the end.
The game needed Souths to go with Rusty so they can market it easier.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

100%green wrote: December 6, 2023, 4:33 pm
greeneyed wrote:Basically, the story is we would have gone in 2024 if the Rabbitohs didn’t put their hand up in the end.
The game needed Souths to go with Rusty so they can market it easier.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Yeah, and now Rusty is basically doing nothing. Won’t be going, will be in Prague working on a movie. Vaguely complaining they didn’t consult him from Day 1 of the planning.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I wonder if we could get Travis Fimmel, the Australian who played Ragnar Lothbrook in the Vikings series, to promote the Raiders in Vegas.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

If we want real celebrities for Las Vegas. Maybe we can get the Canberra guy from the Magnet Mart or Hip Pocket adds.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

BJ wrote: December 6, 2023, 7:36 pm If we want real celebrities for Las Vegas. Maybe we can get the Canberra guy from the Magnet Mart or Hip Pocket adds.
Seears workwear guy

Now ya know.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

BJ wrote: December 6, 2023, 7:36 pm If we want real celebrities for Las Vegas. Maybe we can get the Canberra guy from the Magnet Mart or Hip Pocket adds.
he's an accountant in London
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Lui_Bon wrote:
he's an accountant in London
Geez what a hard luck downfall story.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Works for the NHS, poor bloke
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

What’s Paul Kent doing back on NRL on Fox?
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

BJ wrote: March 1, 2024, 4:22 pm What’s Paul Kent doing back on NRL on Fox?
Found not guilty of the charges against him
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:
BJ wrote: March 1, 2024, 4:22 pm What’s Paul Kent doing back on NRL on Fox?
Found not guilty of the charges against him
Ahhh I didn’t hear that news.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2024 Rd 1 v Knights: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders sing Viva Las Vegas as bold NRL dream becomes reality

The FOMO is real among the Canberra Raiders watching the NRL's Las Vegas experiment from afar. The "fear of missing out" is exactly how Raiders stars Jamal Fogarty and Xavier Savage are feeling. Raiders chief executive Don Furner has said the club "will certainly be pushing" to be in Las Vegas in 2025.

"To take our game over there where they don't have helmets and pads, and every player can defend, attack, kick and pass, I think the Americans will take to it," Jamal Fogarty said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Can NRL in Vegas be game-changer for 'severely lacking' US rugby league?

The jury is still out on what Australian rugby league will gain from the NRL's Las Vegas experiment, but a former Raider and USA Hawks rugby league coach Sean Rutgerson believes it will make a huge impact stateside.

"I'm excited because we've got an opportunity to play against Canada, and we don't get too many games just because of the cost involved," Rutgerson said. "We need help here - we need coaching help, refereeing help, we need the players to understand the fitness levels and skills required, and we're severely lacking in all that just because we don't have any money.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

What the Canberra Raiders need to do to play in Las Vegas in 2025

The NRL hasn’t ruled out allowing the same four clubs to return to Las Vegas in coming seasons as they prepare to gauge the appetite from the 13 remaining teams for the right to kickstart round one in 2025. Already it is understood the likes of Penrith, Canberra and Cronulla are pushing their case to be part of the double header at Las Vegas Stadium next year. Clubs were asked last year to put forward a proposal to the NRL and nominate if they wanted to be the home or away team.

“We have a commission meeting planned for the day after the couple header,” Abdo said. “Part of that will be a debrief and discussion of what worked and what didn’t. Immediately we will start turning our attention how we can make this bigger and stronger. That includes the criteria for opening up invitations for clubs to compete next year. We will run a process very quickly because one thing we have learned is the longer leeway we give clubs and fans, the better off we are. We will invite all clubs to participate. It might be that a club plays more than once over the next five years. That is a call we haven’t made yet and the commission will have to think about.”

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 384abf6e4e
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

May need to offer up a home game to get there. I’m not sure the Raiders have any left to offer under the agreement with the ACT government, after electing to take a home game to Brisbane for Magic Round this year and Wagga last year…
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Watching the build up around it this week the one thing it confirmed to me is that Rugby league has the most talentless media personalities in the world. It hasn’t evolved from Fatty and Sterlo throwing cream pies and doing dumb stuff. The supposed serious in-depth analysis that Kenty, Buzz and Braith bring is akin to drunks arguing at the pub about nonsense. It is truly insultingly bad!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So much for every team getting a chance at this. It would be incredible, yet somewhat **** typical if any of the same 4 sides are there next year.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

It wouldn’t surprise me if they tinker around the edges next year and then go all in and have a magic round over there the year after.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Yes, there are 20 slots and 17 clubs. So three can double up, once each. But someone was saying on TV today that Manly want to make Las Vegas a home ground. Like they’re already expecting to go every year.

I do think the clubs who said no to this year… Warriors, Eels, Dragons, Knights, Cowboys, Tigers, Panthers… should go to the back of the queue. But of course that won’t happen…
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Manly were ignoring the difference between a sea eagle and a bald eagle and trying to make the case they should be the American eagle team. The roosters were making a case that the red white and blue made them an obvious choice to be a constant.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: March 3, 2024, 9:11 pm Watching the build up around it this week the one thing it confirmed to me is that Rugby league has the most talentless media personalities in the world. It hasn’t evolved from Fatty and Sterlo throwing cream pies and doing dumb stuff. The supposed serious in-depth analysis that Kenty, Buzz and Braith bring is akin to drunks arguing at the pub about nonsense. It is truly insultingly bad!
I don’t think you’ll ever have a more accurate post than this.
The way our game is presented by its media partners and the people that are employed to report and analyse the game is embarrassing

The greatest game of all is being presented and packaged to the public by genuine idiots.
They might have a career of achievement to lean on but as broadcasting goes, it’s embarrassing how we allow the game to be covered.

Leeches. That’s all our media people are. Brain dead idiot leeches who live off the code and who have played the game at a high level but lacks any genuine insightful analysis

I remarked to a few chat groups tonight that I did the thing I always do.. new season, pumped… and so I set myself up to lock in on the opening game… life stuff sorted…

And so I lock in and immediately I’m reminded why I watch games on mute. Worthless contributions to the game.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: March 3, 2024, 9:25 pm Yes, there are 20 slots and 17 clubs. So three can double up, once each. But someone was saying on TV today that Manly want to make Las Vegas a home ground. Like they’re already expecting to go every year.

I do think the clubs who said no to this year… Warriors, Eels, Dragons, Knights, Cowboys, Tigers, Panthers… should go to the back of the queue. But of course that won’t happen…
I actually wonder if there is an opportunity to create a secondary interest in season results. If your euro soccer team isn’t in championship contention you still need to ensure it isn’t relegated. Perhaps there is a way to create an interest around Vegas qualifying?

Obviously clubs need as much time as possible to know they are going to Vegas so the NRL needs a different criteria for 2025, but what if the call went out now for teams interested in 2026 and a criteria was established that included ladder position.

Other criteria might rule out teams ghat played previously, or perhaps only lost previously in Vegas. Based on last year’s ladder we finished higher than south’s and manly so should have gone.

Alternatively the criteria might be aimed at finding the more marketable teams. Tries scored, points for and deductions for a club with off field discretions.

Create an interest where although it’s last round and we are no chance of making the 8 if we score 3 more tries than the sharks we qualify for Vegas in 26.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Botman wrote: March 3, 2024, 9:30 pm I don’t think you’ll ever have a more accurate post than this.
The way our game is presented by its media partners and the people that are employed to report and analyse the game is embarrassing

The greatest game of all is being presented and packaged to the public by genuine idiots.
They might have a career of achievement to lean on but as broadcasting goes, it’s embarrassing how we allow the game to be covered.

Leeches. That’s all our media people are. Brain dead idiot leeches who live off the code and who have played the game at a high level but lacks any genuine insightful analysis

I remarked to a few chat groups tonight that I did the thing I always do.. new season, pumped… and so I set myself up to lock in on the opening game… life stuff sorted…

And so I lock in and immediately I’m reminded why I watch games on mute. Worthless contributions to the game.
all true, but "I watch games on mute" means you can't hear what the refs are saying, which is important given that the idiots with microphones don't actually listen to them.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Can download the sports ears app and sync the refs feed to whatever channel you watch.

Think it costs like $10 a month but worth it imo
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

-TW- wrote: March 3, 2024, 10:03 pm Can download the sports ears app and sync the refs feed to whatever channel you watch.

Think it costs like $10 a month but worth it imo
I like the vibe of the crowd noise. I have also lost track of the apps I'm subscribed to!
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: March 3, 2024, 9:30 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 3, 2024, 9:11 pm Watching the build up around it this week the one thing it confirmed to me is that Rugby league has the most talentless media personalities in the world. It hasn’t evolved from Fatty and Sterlo throwing cream pies and doing dumb stuff. The supposed serious in-depth analysis that Kenty, Buzz and Braith bring is akin to drunks arguing at the pub about nonsense. It is truly insultingly bad!
I don’t think you’ll ever have a more accurate post than this.

Couldn't agree more. Ikin was a genuine loss for Fox. Kenty is quite good imo, offers more than surface level stuff and has a good knowledge of the games history but there are so many that are very poor. Ennis I enjoy as well. Vossy, I feel is a great commentator but aside from that it is very slim pickings.

I can't watch a game on channel 9 now, it's pathetic. Forced to watch the GF and origin on 9 is horrible.

I agree this is a huge area for improvement.

In saying that, I don't want rugby league to become americanised. The fame the players have in the US for what they actually do for society is way out of balance. I like the down to earth nature of rugby league but boy has it got a way to improve.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roosters want to back up in Vegas next year

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has made clear he wants to return to Las Vegas in 2025.

“I think it’s absolutely fair that we get the chance to come back again next year,” Robinson said. “We’ve got to export our game and Nick’s never been shy and saying, we feel like we represent the game of rugby league well. If that’s a choice, then then we would like to do that, because we represent Sydney and it can represent the world stage. It’s a really strong brand in the game. And if that goes in that way where that’s open, then we’d love to do it. If it doesn’t, and it rotates, then we definitely understand that as well.”

Read more: https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/03/04/n ... -a-monkey/

Sydney Roosters supremo Nick Politis wants his club back in Las Vegas next year after watching first-hand the hype the historic event has generated. But Manly's New York-based owner Scott Penn believes the Sea Eagles should be “America's team”: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/the-tw ... 5f99z.html#
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

We really don't have a fear of rejection as a club do we. I can't remember the last time we put our hand up for anything and were chosen, whether recruitment or appearing in these types of events.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Did anyone else hear Vlandies on the Fox post game panel? It was B grade stuff and he was understandably excited and carrying on, but when asked about criteria to go to Vegas he went into this really cringeworthy joke about brown paper bags and which club can provide the best ones and how he’s not talking about sandwiches in them. Abdo looked genuinely uncomfortable beside him. It was pretty off even if he was joking.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:Did anyone else hear Vlandies on the Fox post game panel? It was B grade stuff and he was understandably excited and carrying on, but when asked about criteria to go to Vegas he went into this really cringeworthy joke about brown paper bags and which club can provide the best ones and how he’s not talking about sandwiches in them. Abdo looked genuinely uncomfortable beside him. It was pretty off even if he was joking.
Was Vlandys comment before or after he met with Nick Politis?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

If the Raiders go to Vegas next year I'll 100% consider going. I've been to Vegas twice already and I have to say I got serious FOMO watching them continually broadcast from the strip over the weekend.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: March 4, 2024, 8:28 am
Billy Walker wrote:Did anyone else hear Vlandies on the Fox post game panel? It was B grade stuff and he was understandably excited and carrying on, but when asked about criteria to go to Vegas he went into this really cringeworthy joke about brown paper bags and which club can provide the best ones and how he’s not talking about sandwiches in them. Abdo looked genuinely uncomfortable beside him. It was pretty off even if he was joking.
Was Vlandys comment before or after he met with Nick Politis?
It was in that context that he was making the joke. He was talking to Fletcher and saying that they both knew how the brown paper bags work. Not something to joke about I wouldn’t have thought.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The Nickman wrote: March 4, 2024, 8:30 am If the Raiders go to Vegas next year I'll 100% consider going. I've been to Vegas twice already and I have to say I got serious FOMO watching them continually broadcast from the strip over the weekend.
I'd need it to be NY to be tempted.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 4, 2024, 12:54 pm
The Nickman wrote: March 4, 2024, 8:30 am If the Raiders go to Vegas next year I'll 100% consider going. I've been to Vegas twice already and I have to say I got serious FOMO watching them continually broadcast from the strip over the weekend.
I'd need it to be NY to be tempted.
You just go to New York the week before or after. I'll be adding in New York if I go.