2024 NRL Round 1: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2024 NRL Round 1: Teams and Game Day

Post by greeneyed »

Rugby league was the winner on the day.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

And the Broncos were losers.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I enjoyed that opening to the season more than any other, particularly that first game

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The Nickman wrote:Hear me now, believe me later, the broncos won’t reach the same heights they did last year.
I agree. I do hate them so I'm biased, but Farnsworth, Flegler and Capewell are massive losses. More pressure on Haas to carry the pack. They're up the creek if he or Carrigan gets injured for any length of time.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I don’t think that’s a bold call.
They made the grand final, statistically they’re very unlikely to get back to the GF again
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I’m in Vegas watching the games. The ball movement of all four sides was good to watch. The speed on Manly- I think they will do well if Turbo stays fit. I like Saab how he can score from anywhere. But their forwards depth is not good. Ola played very well and Brooks suits Manly’s style.

I hardly saw Latrell and noticed he wasn’t in the game like the other 3 fullbacks that played today.

Reece Walsh was great and he’s so dangerous skipping past defenders. Manu as great for Roosters.

I hope our team uses speed and with this year.

There were a few Canberra Raiders jerseys in the crowd. Allegiant stadium is a great viewing stadium as you are so close to the players and I even heard Teddy’s call to Pauga to get back to catch the ball in the 5th, which he ended up dropping.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:And the Broncos were losers.
Hahaha the second clarification wasn’t needed, you said that with your first comment
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:I don’t think that’s a bold call.
They made the grand final, statistically they’re very unlikely to get back to the GF again
I guess a normal human would think that’s not a big call, but up here I’m surrounded by broncos fans who are convinced they’ll go one better this season, so I’ve been trying to piss all over their parade whenever I can
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: March 3, 2024, 5:27 pm
Botman wrote:I don’t think that’s a bold call.
I guess a normal human would think that’s not a big call, but up here I’m surrounded by broncos fans who are convinced they’ll go one better this season, so I’ve been trying to piss all over their parade whenever I can
Haha fair enough
Piss away
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Wonder if instead of Walsh with the shoulder charge it was sayyyy Rapa…wonder if he would have got binned? 🤔
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote:Wonder if instead of Walsh with the shoulder charge it was sayyyy Rapa…wonder if he would have got binned? Image
TBF crazy Rapa has actually gotten away with his fair share of shoulder charges / body checks. But not wanting to deviate from my SOPs Walsh should be suspended for 6 to 8 weeks.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 3, 2024, 5:15 pm I’m in Vegas watching the games. The ball movement of all four sides was good to watch. The speed on Manly- I think they will do well if Turbo stays fit. I like Saab how he can score from anywhere. But their forwards depth is not good. Ola played very well and Brooks suits Manly’s style.

I hardly saw Latrell and noticed he wasn’t in the game like the other 3 fullbacks that played today.

Reece Walsh was great and he’s so dangerous skipping past defenders. Manu as great for Roosters.

There were a few Canberra Raiders jerseys in the crowd. Allegiant stadium is a great viewing stadium as you are so close to the players and I even heard Teddy’s call to Pauga to get back to catch the ball in the 5th, which he ended up dropping.
Hope you had a great time. Looked absolutely amazing.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gerg wrote: March 3, 2024, 5:51 pm
Chicka Chicka Chicka wrote:Wonder if instead of Walsh with the shoulder charge it was sayyyy Rapa…wonder if he would have got binned? Image
TBF crazy Rapa has actually gotten away with his fair share of shoulder charges / body checks. But not wanting to deviate from my SOPs Walsh should be suspended for 6 to 8 weeks.

Walsh was going to get away with it too, except they challenged it
My first thought when i saw that was "oooof, Rapana might concede a few penalties like that" if teams start challenging those contests.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: March 3, 2024, 6:02 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 3, 2024, 5:15 pm I’m in Vegas watching the games. The ball movement of all four sides was good to watch. The speed on Manly- I think they will do well if Turbo stays fit. I like Saab how he can score from anywhere. But their forwards depth is not good. Ola played very well and Brooks suits Manly’s style.

Hope you had a great time. Looked absolutely amazing.
Thanks, GE. I went with my wife who was celebrating her birthday so took her to U2 at the Sphere. Amazing. The football was great today and I sat next to a Raiders fan and chatted about our team. My wife enjoyed the football as well.

Hope to go next year with you to Vegas.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Kevvie Walters has made a huge mistake releasing Capewell and not signing another second rower. Moving Carrigan to the edge can’t be their contingency having lost Flegler. That went a long way towards the end result in that game. If you have 3 running forwards on the bench, and Haas/Carrigan starting who play huge minutes then one of those 3 needs to be a bloke who covers edge and middle even if they’re mediocre.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: March 3, 2024, 7:06 pm Kevvie Walters has made a huge mistake releasing Capewell and not signing another second rower. Moving Carrigan to the edge can’t be their contingency having lost Flegler. That went a long way towards the end result in that game. If you have 3 running forwards on the bench, and Haas/Carrigan starting who play huge minutes then one of those 3 needs to be a bloke who covers edge and middle even if they’re mediocre.
Yeah i had pretty much the same thought during that game, the Broncos really didnt have a good answer for losing an edge forward. Moving Carrigan out there takes a lot away from their middle third and he's nothing special out wide
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Broncos lost Piakuru early , which caused Carrigan to shift wider.
Thought Rikki came good in the game. Broncos have lost some punch with Fledger leaving.

Reynolds kicking was poor , he just bombed and not accurately either.

Still a great weekend of footy
I dont go back to work till Friday , which is after our game , so I can't hang to much on all the Broncos loving fans yet.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:And the Broncos were losers.
So win win?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just heard some audio of the Leniu incident and although you dont hear him say anything, you do hear multiple players respond to it
Not great bob!
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: March 3, 2024, 8:24 pm Just heard some audio of the Leniu incident and although you dont hear him say anything, you do hear multiple players respond to it
Not great bob!
Any idea what he (allegedly) said?

Also, kinda bizarre for a non-white person to be racially abusing another non-white person
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: March 3, 2024, 9:03 pm
Botman wrote: March 3, 2024, 8:24 pm Just heard some audio of the Leniu incident and although you dont hear him say anything, you do hear multiple players respond to it
Not great bob!

Also, kinda bizarre for a non-white person to be racially abusing another non-white person
Racism is racism
My understanding, and I could be wrong, but Leniu I think is Samoan, Mam is TSI
Different cultures and races, but yeah it’s not a common occurrence for it to come in this way

It’s pretty well reported at this stage the allegation is the Leniu called Mam a monkey

‘He called me a monkey’: Bronco accuses Leniu of racial comment as Latrell weighs in: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/ ... e=rss_feed
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Finchy wrote: March 3, 2024, 9:03 pm
Not great bob!

Happens all the time. Just not usually in front of cameras on national TV.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I actually worked with a lady of African heritage, who called many other people in the office a “monkey”. And she did so regularly.

Obviously no one returned the favour, as they would’ve been immediately sacked.

I wonder what penalty Spencer will cop?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

He plays for the Roosters. He'll get a warning or a fine, or both. Maybe some sort of community service or education program thrown in.

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

it has to include education and have Leniu make it clear to his supporters what he learns

Edrick The Entertainer
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

If Trent Robinson is a man of his word he would sack him.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: March 4, 2024, 6:05 am it has to include education and have Leniu make it clear to his supporters what he learns

Throw in some anger management classes too. The guy is a powder keg.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

If he's found guilty it has to be a long suspension.
It can't be tolerated. Also education, as he blew it off as nothing when he was interviewed.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

It’s a good day when the Rabbitohs and Broncos travel all the way to Vegas to lose :D
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Rabbitohs shut out media, Russel Crowe was in Europe and they lose the game. They showed nothing that they should be back there next year.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 4, 2024, 7:38 am If he's found guilty it has to be a long suspension.
It can't be tolerated. Also education, as he blew it off as nothing when he was interviewed.
Agree, Marcello Montoyo got 4 weeks in 2022 for his homophobic sledge on Kyle Feldt "Get up Kyle you ****" which i dont think was said with any real homophobic intentions. Leniu should get at least that, probably more
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kiwi raider wrote: March 4, 2024, 9:41 am
LimeGreenMachine wrote: March 4, 2024, 7:38 am If he's found guilty it has to be a long suspension.
Agree, Marcello Montoyo got 4 weeks in 2022 for his homophobic sledge on Kyle Feldt "Get up Kyle you ****" which i dont think was said with any real homophobic intentions. Leniu should get at least that, probably more
How does the use of that word, not have homophobic intent?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 4, 2024, 9:56 am
Hahaha that's a pretty hot take by kiwi!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

The Nickman wrote: March 4, 2024, 10:03 am
not condoning it, just saying i reckon Montoya probably used that term frequently around mates etc and just blurted it out, dont think he particularly thought Kyle Feldt was a homosexual, to describe someone as a monkey is a fairly specific , Leniu would have known that was a racist term before he said it.

Do you think he should get more ,less or the same penalty as Montoya?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

kiwi raider wrote: March 4, 2024, 10:12 am
The Nickman wrote: March 4, 2024, 10:03 am
not condoning it, just saying i reckon Montoya probably used that term frequently around mates etc and just blurted it out, dont think he particularly thought Kyle Feldt was a homosexual, to describe someone as a monkey is a fairly specific , Leniu would have known that was a racist term before he said it.

Do you think he should get more ,less or the same penalty as Montoya?
Used it frequently? That’s not banter. He surely would have known that term is hate speech. They’re equally as bad. The penalty should be the same. At least four weeks for bringing the game into disrepute.