All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Brad Morkos granted immediate release

Post by Raider47 »

Raiders young gun’s shock call

Canberra young gun Brad Morkos has been granted an immediate release after informing the Green Machine he no longer had the desire to play rugby league. Morkos was all set to move into the Raiders top 30 squad this season with a view to cracking it in the NRL.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 42eea33401
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Canberra Raiders back Brad Morkos reportedly granted immediate release

Post by denissnowy »

According to this article Morkos has walked.

Raiders young gun’s shock call

Canberra young gun Brad Morkos has been granted an immediate release after informing the Green Machine he no longer had the desire to play rugby league. On Monday he walked into Raiders headquarters and explained why he wanted to walk away effective immediately. The development means the Raiders now have an additional spot on their roster and are monitoring the situation with North Queensland backrower Luciano Leilua.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 42eea33401
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Re: Brad Morkos granted immediate release

Post by Raider47 »

Leaves us with some serious depth issues at centre I'd say. After HSS, who has regressed big time, no genuine back ups to Kris and Timoko.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Wow, that is a surprise. I reckon he was NRL bound this year after JCs retirement. I wonder if the recruitment of Sasagi and Weekes influenced his decision. A Lebanon International last year with a huge future in the game. Now gone. I hope we keep in contact in case he decides to come back to the game in a few years time.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders back Brad Morkos reportedly granted immediate release

Post by greeneyed »

That’s a real loss. Wish him all the best in whatever he does next.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Sorry to see that. I would have thought he was a real chance of an NRL start next season.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Dylan’s Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Extremely disappointing to read this - was very excited when I saw we signed him and James Schiller I think from the Dragons system.

Morkos would have debuted this year so I’m sure he has his reasons but yeah, not the news I wanted to hear.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Wish him the best. I guess that means HSS, Strange, Sasagi and Cotric as centre depth. Heck, throw in Rapana too.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Re: Brad Morkos reportedly granted immediate release

Post by NoMan »

Hopefully some time away from the game might change his mind and he can come back as it did with Kris. He has to do what makes him happy but it's an opportunity many would do anything to have and I hope he doesn't end up wondering "what if" later on in life. Although who knows, he could show up playing Union in Japan for piles of cash.

The depth in the backs is looking very shaky now.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Quite a shock
As others have said I would have thought FG footy was on the cards this year
Hope the club keeps in contact with him in case he gets the itch again
He has genuine fg talent imo

But good for him, if he doesn’t want to do this, he should be proud of himself for having the courage to walk away rather than going through the motions
I wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do next
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Would love to hear something back from the club re Trey Mooney negotiations. I hope we can get something over the line.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Hopefully he can find the love for the game again , he has the potential to play FG. Kris walked away for a year and came back and so has the Warriors player.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Can’t be easy on a young man to have be missing out on opportunities due to sentimental reasons. I hope he pops up elsewhere and gets the opportunity he deserves.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:Can’t be easy on a young man to have be missing out on opportunities due to sentimental reasons. I hope he pops up elsewhere and gets the opportunity he deserves.
Bit strange he’s walking away just when an opportunity has opened up.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Raider47 wrote: November 23, 2023, 2:41 pm Leaves us with some serious depth issues at centre I'd say. After HSS, who has regressed big time, no genuine back ups to Kris and Timoko.
Disagree with this. Centre is the easiest position in rugby league to cover. Strange, Schiller, HSS + wingers and utilities is adequate.

The halves and edge forward are a very different story.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: November 23, 2023, 4:35 pm
Billy Walker wrote:Can’t be easy on a young man to have be missing out on opportunities due to sentimental reasons. I hope he pops up elsewhere and gets the opportunity he deserves.
Bit strange he’s walking away just when an opportunity has opened up.
Who knows but I’d understand if he was disillusioned and lost the love for it.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Bad news all around with Luciano Leilua also linked with us. He has the tools but his output is really poor.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

That's really disappointing. Very odd one - I hear he is moving into real estate.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 23, 2023, 5:35 pm Bad news all around with Luciano Leilua also linked with us. He has the tools but his output is really poor.
Yeah, of all the backrowers they have been linked to he would be my last choice. They have been chasing him for five years though so it's probably a personal thing for Ricky at this point. Still better than nothing as well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders young gun Brad Morkos walks away from NRL, aged just 20

Canberra Raiders young gun Brad Morkos has walked away from the NRL. The 20-year-old decided he no longer wanted to pursue a career in rugby league and will return to his native Wollongong for personal reasons. It's believed he might play with friends in the Wollongong local competition.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Ray170
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Ray170 »

Caleb Esera did the same thing a few years ago.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: November 23, 2023, 4:40 pm
Raider47 wrote: November 23, 2023, 2:41 pm Leaves us with some serious depth issues at centre I'd say. After HSS, who has regressed big time, no genuine back ups to Kris and Timoko.
Disagree with this. Centre is the easiest position in rugby league to cover. Strange, Schiller, HSS + wingers and utilities is adequate.

The halves and edge forward are a very different story.
agreed. Got not issues with outside backs depth even without Morkos

As others have noted, Seb Kris stepped away for a year and came back and got his career back on track
i hope the club maintains contact in case he changes his mind.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

NoMan wrote: November 23, 2023, 5:49 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: November 23, 2023, 5:35 pm Bad news all around with Luciano Leilua also linked with us. He has the tools but his output is really poor.
Yeah, of all the backrowers they have been linked to he would be my last choice. They have been chasing him for five years though so it's probably a personal thing for Ricky at this point. Still better than nothing as well.
I’m not sure I agree that Luciano is better than nothing. He’s at the tail end of things and I’d rather see us hold out for something better than take him.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Word on the street is that the club is only doing it to reunite Leipana - Donny thinks it's BJ with a new haircut.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Not surprised they're poking around Luciano
They were trying to get him mid season last year... but agree that of all the cowboys edges, he's a firm and distant 4th on my wish list
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Ricky sees Joey 2.0 in him.
Enough individual flair we can really make a statement in the finals, and he doesn’t have to try and come up with an attacking structure more complex than ‘give it to leilua’.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

That's a shame, I rated him. I wonder what triggered it. Goes to show there are a lot of variables with youngsters.

I think we're well covered in the centre and even wing position though so it won't affect the Raiders too much
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Really?!?! You guys are watching a different Leilua to me.

In 13 games:
Avg 94m per game - Only Friz, Isaiah Papali'i, Kolo, Olakau'ato, Fifita avged more (BTW, thats 4m more a game than Huddo, and only 200m total less than Whitehead in 10 less games).

Avg 22 tackles a game (approx. 1.5 missed - Half Huddo and Whiteys avg for the yr)

He had 4 LBAs.

He had 22 Tackle Busts (1 more than Whitey in 10 less games)

He had 20 Offloads, 17 effective. (1 less than Whitey in 10 less games).

2 tries, 1 TA, 4 try involvements.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You've set the bar pretty low to be excited there, Matt
I dont want to do my guy EW dirty again, but i can drag out the stats to show just the level of footballer who would be an EW upgrade and its not pretty, being better than EW is not the bar im tryin to clear :lol:

I dont think anyone doubts that Leilua would be a good upgrade for us but can and should aim to do better imo
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: November 23, 2023, 7:48 pm
Really?!?! You guys are watching a different Leilua to me.
In 13 games:
Avg 94m per game (thats 4m more a game than Huddo, and only 200m total less than Whitehead in 10 less games).
Avg 22 tackles a game (approx. 1.5 missed - Half Huddo and Whiteys avg for the yr)
He had 4 LBAs.
He had 22 Tackle Busts (1 more than Whitey in 10 less games)
He had 20 Offloads, 17 effective. (1 less than Whitey in 10 less games).
2 tries, 1 TA, 4 try involvements.
Was about to post similar. He can play.

Back to Morkos... He'll probably be a good Fg centre. We already have two of those. So no reason to hoard a third in a position we have some cover in already- I see Schiller being a centre. Hoppa can do it. HSS etc. Strange is not inked in at 5/8 either...

I think Morkos needs FG footy and we can't offer that for years, given we have some quality there already it's a shame but time to let him go.

In fact I thank my lucky stars this tells me Kris will not be FB.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

The Canberra raiders mixed in with the weather and being the most boring place on earth would drive anyone to a career change.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: November 23, 2023, 7:51 pm You've set the bar pretty low to be excited there, Matt
I dont want to do my guy EW dirty again, but i can drag out the stats to show just the level of footballer who would be an EW upgrade and its not pretty, being better than EW is not the bar im tryin to clear :lol:

I dont think anyone doubts that Leilua would be a good upgrade for us but can and should aim to do better imo
Leiluas avg numbers are similar if not better than Huddos for last yr. He's only 27 too.

I'd probably punt on Luki or Finefuiaki 1st, because of the age upside AND hopefully thats where the club is headed.

BUUUT... I'd take him over Riki and Su'a, who we've been linked too. I don't think it's as cut and dry as people seem to be making out. He's a good player, and has similar traits to his brother as far as game breaking ability - and ability to eat TBF.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Coastalraider wrote: November 23, 2023, 7:15 pm Ricky sees Joey 2.0 in him.
Enough individual flair we can really make a statement in the finals, and he doesn’t have to try and come up with an attacking structure more complex than ‘give it to leilua’.
:thumbsup agree. As I mentioned above
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Id take him over Su'A.
Riki over Leilua for me. But yeah i agree, he can play, he'd be an upgrade for us... but if we're raiding the Cowboys, if im the raiders, i understand that whilst they have the contracts, we kind of have the leverage in that 4 absolutely cant go into 3 and maybe 2, pending their bench structure... I'd play extremely very hard ball for Luki or Finefuiaki
and if that cant work, i'd walk away knowing we can probably come back to the table for Leilua in Feb/March.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Morkos thing is interesting. I wonder if it's a Kris deal?
OR
If he really doesn't have his heart in it?

Like others, I thought this yr would be his yr. Probably to play the share of Kris's suspension - if anything remains. He seemed 1 injury away this yr.

We definitely have 1 too many Middles, but I suspect we may have had 1 too many Backs, so roster wise it's lucky.

I still think we need a player trade for Sanders, so I wonder what's the plan there. We thought a HSS trade initially, but maybe a Guler or the contact stalled Mooney (I'd hate this BTW)??