Knights 13+
25%

Total votes: 28

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2024 Rd 1 v Knights: Teams and Previews *Teams p1

Post by Seiffert82 »

IMO Rapana is dead set the best winger this club has seen. Above Chicka and Vainokolo.

His competitiveness is without peer. As he gets older he's becoming a cranky bugger (and maybe a bit grubby) but the place won't be the same without him.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:"Obviously we've got a lot of youngsters, but I'm not about rebuilding. We can still win a comp with the players we've got," Rapana said. "I'm not here to rebuild, we all have the mentality to win a comp. I know a lot of people have written us off and that's fine. That's how we like it, we will fly under the radar."

That's what I love about Jordy. He's always out to win. The tougher it is the harder he puts in. We could be down 30 points with 10 min to go and he's still trying to mount a comeback. Sometimes going a bit over the top in the process. He's our version of the Black Knight from Monty P.ython.
He's a rollercoaster that's for sure

Can score a miracle try or decapitate someone and get sent off

Probably in the same game

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: March 6, 2024, 7:23 pm
Northern Raider wrote:"Obviously we've got a lot of youngsters, but I'm not about rebuilding. We can still win a comp with the players we've got," Rapana said. "I'm not here to rebuild, we all have the mentality to win a comp. I know a lot of people have written us off and that's fine. That's how we like it, we will fly under the radar."

That's what I love about Jordy. He's always out to win. The tougher it is the harder he puts in. We could be down 30 points with 10 min to go and he's still trying to mount a comeback. Sometimes going a bit over the top in the process. He's our version of the Black Knight from Monty P.ython.

*same tackle :roflmao
Decapitate, collect the loose ball, go 100 metres and score... VR sends him off... very believable sequence of play from Jordy :lol:
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

out of any team in the comp, Newcastle is the toughest team to stop their momentum, no matter if you leading, they begin an ambush at anytime in the game we may be in trouble, step 1, Minimise KP

new team, will be a new attack method imo, and personally I think we gain in defensive attributes.

high completion rate, low errors, low penalities (dear lord please)
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I hope it's a lot less humid in Newcastle tomorrow night then it is in Sydney at the moment.
Vaccinated
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Botman wrote: March 6, 2024, 7:27 pm
-TW- wrote: March 6, 2024, 7:23 pm

*same tackle :roflmao
Decapitate, collect the loose ball, go 100 metres and score... VR sends him off... very believable sequence of play from Jordy :lol:
This may of happened already, surely hahaha 😆
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

cat wrote:I hope it's a lot less humid in Newcastle tomorrow night then it is in Sydney at the moment.
Hahahaha humid… New South Wales… hahahahah
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: March 6, 2024, 7:54 pm I hope it's a lot less humid in Newcastle tomorrow night then it is in Sydney at the moment.
Forecast is 19-30 through the day with the winds becoming light. Will need plenty of water I think.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says Joe Tapine deserves captaincy chance

Ricky Stuart says Elliott Whitehead's calf injury isn't as bad as first thought and should only miss two to three weeks rather than the four to six first anticipated. Joe Tapine has been appointed captain while Whitehead is sidelined.

"He deserves it. It's a really good opportunity for Joe to take a lead role," he said of Tapine. "I've kept Jamal as vice-captain - he's got enough on his plate and he's doing a really good job for us at the moment. I know Joe is very proud of the fact he's been named captain. It'll be good to see him run out and take charge."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote:IMO Rapana is dead set the best winger this club has seen. Above Chicka and Vainokolo.
Absolutely the Raiders GWOAT
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

gangrenous wrote: March 7, 2024, 4:54 am
Seiffert82 wrote:IMO Rapana is dead set the best winger this club has seen. Above Chicka and Vainokolo.
Absolutely the Raiders GWOAT
100%.

And I’m backing him in to do really well at fullback.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

So much to look forward to in this game. Savage and Strange being selected for starters, Smithies and Hosking debuting for us and Tapine leading the side.

No one’s tipping us but we will spring an upset tonight
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:So much to look forward to in this game. Savage and Strange being selected for starters, Smithies and Hosking debuting for us and Tapine leading the side.

No one’s tipping us but we will spring an upset tonight
I actually don’t have a terrible feeling about this game either
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

All the Levi/Woolford/Starling stuff is just tinkering around the edges - it doesn't matter who starts, based on performances they're all roughly the same. Woolford has had his moments but I don't think they've been so good that he automatically has a mortgage on the starting job, and if the trials were genuine selection trials then you can understand how Levi ends up starting.

I'm quite positive about this lineup. I don't think Hopoate is in our strongest team but he's not the worst centre in the NRL. He's a below-average first grader who can do a job for us. I'm also a fan of the stability that Guler provides at this stage. He'll go out there, make a few metres, do his job, probably drop a ball at some point but generally be fine. Not flashy but not everyone can be. I fully expect Puru or Mooney to take his spot at some point this season if they continue to improve but at this stage I understand why he's there.

I really like the way the team is heading. I think we'll have some teething problems this year, some games where Strange looks as good as he did in the trials, and some games where he looks every bit the rookie that he is. I love Rapana's confidence that the team is gunning for a premiership - and wouldn't expect any less from him - but honestly think we're a year or two away from making some real noise. And I'm actually ok with that.

As for this game though, we just have to win. I hate the Knights. I hate them. Getting knocked out last year by them was bad enough, starting the season with a loss to them as well? That's unacceptable.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

There are big issues with Levi. It isn’t “much of a muchness’. He overplays his hand constantly, but lacks the guile and finesse. The forwards struggle to generate momentum from him, he doesn’t play a simple game, he tries to engage markers but often confuses himself and his forwards. Worse, his attack in the opposition 10 is diabolical. He butchers line breaks or quick play the balls by taking the wrong option, often with him trying to burrow in for a try (works in NSW Cup but any self respecting NRL side will know what is coming). So, he has a similar ceiling to Woolford but his floor is far, far lower.

Also, just to temper expectations: Hoskings was dropped by Penrith due to his edge defence.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

TongueFTW wrote: March 7, 2024, 8:20 am Also, just to temper expectations: Hoskings was dropped by Penrith due to his edge defence.
He starting in place of Elliott Whitehead
We are not the same as the Panthers :lol:
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 8:36 am
TongueFTW wrote: March 7, 2024, 8:20 am Also, just to temper expectations: Hoskings was dropped by Penrith due to his edge defence.
True, but he was replaced by Luke Gardner :roflmao
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

TongueFTW wrote: March 7, 2024, 8:37 am
Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 8:36 am
True, but he was replaced by Luke Gardner :roflmao
Wasnt there a report he had sustained an injury towards the end of the year.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

I hope the bench is there to spell 8,9,10, 13 rather than one of the bench props playing on an edge for Hosking

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sid wrote: March 7, 2024, 9:52 am I hope the bench is there to spell 8,9,10, 13 rather than one of the bench props playing on an edge for Hosking

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
Stuart likes his edges to go for 80 if they can, so hopefully your first plan is what happens and there's no concussions.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Once were Warriors now NRL rivals

You could argue that the bad luck of others has helped Englishmen Morgan Smithies and Kai Pearce-Paul get a start for their respective clubs in Round 1 but premiership-winning Wigan coach Matt Peet insists luck has nothing to do with it. Just four months after celebrating a Super League premiership at Old Trafford, the former Wigan teammates will square off when the Knights and Raiders kick off their 2024 campaigns in Newcastle.

“The first time I watched Morgan he was only 12 but he’s just always been an outstanding player,” Peet said. “It always stood out just how competitive he was, that was always the outstanding feature in Morgan. I’m expecting him to own that No. 13 shirt. He’ll keep his shirt, you can count on that.”

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/07/sup ... nrl-match/
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I'd guess Smithies might go to an edge and Ata to lock if there is an HIA. Ata played a bit of lock in the last trial and some games in NSW cup last year. Or Levi could move in there and Starling play hooker.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote:It won’t all pay off but that is where I’d like to see us become a little more ruthless in turning players over. Some positions we need to be patient and give players time to develop but I worry we sometimes hold on to some guys far too long only to see them reach modest heights.
The likes of Valemei, Elliott, Levi, and now new favourite Hoppa have only ever reached modest heights. Happy to persist with those players though weren’t you?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I still think the Raiders could win this match, i'm not expecting a blow out. Just worried we don't have enough points in us to get the job done. It will be a super close competition this year.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Woodgers wrote: March 7, 2024, 12:44 pm I still think the Raiders could win this match, i'm not expecting a blow out. Just worried we don't have enough points in us to get the job done. It will be a super close competition this year.
I have a reasonable feeling about this match, to be perfectly honest.

I won't go as far as to say I'm confident, but I don't feel horrible about it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We're very likely presenting the knights with a Strange, Young, Hoppa, Savage edge to attack
That's pretty terrifying going against Ponga
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Finchy wrote: March 7, 2024, 11:11 am
Billy Walker wrote:It won’t all pay off but that is where I’d like to see us become a little more ruthless in turning players over. Some positions we need to be patient and give players time to develop but I worry we sometimes hold on to some guys far too long only to see them reach modest heights.
The likes of Valemei, Elliott, Levi, and now new favourite Hoppa have only ever reached modest heights. Happy to persist with those players though weren’t you?
Tbf Adam Elliott is nowhere near as bad as many on this forum claimed... we didn't pay a ridiculous sum to get him here and we let him go when Knights offered him overs. It was a good value signing imo. There was definitely a big overreaction here on Elliott.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 1:10 pm We're very likely presenting the knights with a Strange, Young, Hoppa, Savage edge to attack
It makes sense to pair Strange and Hosking on one edge - they played very well together in one half of the 2nd trial. That would mean moving Fogarty to the left
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

skeepe wrote: March 7, 2024, 7:48 am All the Levi/Woolford/Starling stuff is just tinkering around the edges - it doesn't matter who starts, based on performances they're all roughly the same. Woolford has had his moments but I don't think they've been so good that he automatically has a mortgage on the starting job, and if the trials were genuine selection trials then you can understand how Levi ends up starting.

I'm quite positive about this lineup. I don't think Hopoate is in our strongest team but he's not the worst centre in the NRL. He's a below-average first grader who can do a job for us. I'm also a fan of the stability that Guler provides at this stage. He'll go out there, make a few metres, do his job, probably drop a ball at some point but generally be fine. Not flashy but not everyone can be. I fully expect Puru or Mooney to take his spot at some point this season if they continue to improve but at this stage I understand why he's there.

I really like the way the team is heading. I think we'll have some teething problems this year, some games where Strange looks as good as he did in the trials, and some games where he looks every bit the rookie that he is. I love Rapana's confidence that the team is gunning for a premiership - and wouldn't expect any less from him - but honestly think we're a year or two away from making some real noise. And I'm actually ok with that.

As for this game though, we just have to win. I hate the Knights. I hate them. Getting knocked out last year by them was bad enough, starting the season with a loss to them as well? That's unacceptable.
:welcome: good to see you back, Skeepe!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: March 7, 2024, 1:10 pm We're very likely presenting the knights with a Strange, Young, Hoppa, Savage edge to attack
💯

They will run right at and around Hoppa.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
skeepe
Jason Croker

Post by skeepe »

dubby wrote: March 7, 2024, 1:36 pm
skeepe wrote: March 7, 2024, 7:48 am All the Levi/Woolford/Starling stuff is just tinkering around the edges - it doesn't matter who starts, based on performances they're all roughly the same. Woolford has had his moments but I don't think they've been so good that he automatically has a mortgage on the starting job, and if the trials were genuine selection trials then you can understand how Levi ends up starting.

:welcome: good to see you back, Skeepe!
Thanks Dubster. Has it really been 19 years since this place started? Good grief!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: March 7, 2024, 1:29 pm
It makes sense to pair Strange and Hosking on one edge - they played very well together in one half of the 2nd trial. That would mean moving Fogarty to the left
Until we see it play out and whilst i dont expect it to be the case i'll continue to be hopeful we see Strange, Hosking, Timoko and Cotric on the right and Fog, Young, Hoppa, Savage on the left
I'll still be pretty terrified about that left attacking unit defending but Ponga's at his best attacking from the left too, so that would be our right side in defence...

I like our chances better with that Strange, Hosking, Timoko and Cotric group going against Ponga, Best and Marzhew... i think it'll be Lucas on the left for them, and Friz on the right but i could be wrong on that
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

More worried about Ponga isolating Fogarty if he’s on the right tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

The Knights are an interesting one. When you consider they won what 11 or 12 in a row last year before being beat in NZ, they really haven't been talked about at all before this season. Yes they have lost Dom Young and I also rated Fitzgibbon but they are pretty much the same team as last year. Hastings and Ponga probably go into the game fully fit which they weren't for the final last year.

We will need to play at least as well as we did in the final to be competitive.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Bay53 wrote: March 7, 2024, 2:32 pm The Knights are an interesting one. When you consider they won what 11 or 12 in a row last year before being beat in NZ, they really haven't been talked about at all before this season. Yes they have lost Dom Young and I also rated Fitzgibbon but they are pretty much the same team as last year. Hastings and Ponga probably go into the game fully fit which they weren't for the final last year.

We will need to play at least as well as we did in the final to be competitive.
You're right, outside of Dom Young they haven't lost much and should be competitive again this season but they were disappointing in the trials... I know they're only trials but I've heard a few nrl pundits predicting they will have a slow start to the season on this basis
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on March 7, 2024, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.