8%
Cowboys 13+
23%

Total votes: 13

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: 2024 Trial 2 v Cowboys: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by BJ »

I think Saulo was the best of our lesser name players over the two trials.

Some promising stuff from Strange today too.

All in all, I’d score us a B for our trial performances, which is better than I can remember for a while.
Colk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Billy Walker wrote: February 25, 2024, 3:56 pm While neither were poor, I didn’t think Ata or Mooney did anything to justify the calls for them to be picked. I thought Saulo and even Hola offered more. For me though it was Hoskins and Smithies that are right in the frame. Guler wasn’t impressive.
I thought Mooney was good. Smithies was impressive. Our forwards were good. Strange was by far the biggest positive. Looked very good.

The problem with that trial though is none of our core problems look like being solved. The Cows were absolutely awful in the first half yet every time they managed to hold on to the ball and get within 20 metres they just looked like scoring. Very worrying signs in my opinion. In attack same issues - no direction inside their 20 etc.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think Starling looked the better of our 9s.

Hola is applying pressure on Mooney, Saulo, Guler for a prop bench spot.

Strange is looking fine, and I'm hoping he'll escape with a fine. It wasn't a bad tackle.

Chevy is going to be a hell of a player. Reminds me of Brett Stewart.

Levi and Woolford were both mediocre.

Schiller showed he is pretty much a depth player.

I'm still deciding about Weekes. Just so clunky.

Hosking went well, as did Puru, Mariota in limited time

To lose to an almost nrl cows side in the 2nd half with a nsw cup side was not awful.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Billy Walker wrote:While neither were poor, I didn’t think Ata or Mooney did anything to justify the calls for them to be picked. I thought Saulo and even Hola offered more. For me though it was Hoskins and Smithies that are right in the frame. Guler wasn’t impressive.
I definitely think Hola has outperformed Mooney during the trials.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Crusader wrote:cant be too unhappy with that, still got that poor10min period which won the game for Cowboys

good signs
* Morgan Smithies
* Zac Hosking
* Peter Hola
* Ethan Strange (hopefully not suspended)
* surprisingly Savage look ok
* Papa and Whitehead did well
* usual Timoko

who stood out for you?
Hola for me.

He ran hard and with aggression. He looked better than Mooney,which is not a criticism.

NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Decent hit out.

In the positional battles I would say:
- Strange over Weekes by miles. Shame about the probable suspension. I got a lot of concerns about Weekes at this point.
- Levi was a lot better than Woolford. Two of the passes that hit the ground were not even him, and his service and defense were a lot better. Germ looked underdone to me.
- Rapana will be the fullback, not much opportunity for Stewart and Hoppa was the better of those two but he wasn't playing on the backfoot the whole time.
- Saulo and Mooney both played well. Saulo ran some really nice lines and Mooney really helped the defense in the middle when he came back on. Guler was average in comparison and shouldn't be an automatic selection. Hola really struggled defensively but I don't think he is a realistic chance anyway.
- Savage showed enough to get the spot over Asomua.

Of the rest Papa looked primed for a good year and Smithies really locked up the middle well. Hosking great but might be a waste of a bench spot.
Last edited by NoMan on February 25, 2024, 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Strange > Weekes
All wingers that played (except Nepo) > Hoppa
Saulo > Guler. I don't think Mooney did enough to dislodge Saulo or Ata assuming the other bench spots for Rd 1 are Starling, Hosking, Ata and Saulo.
Levi > Woolford in the trials, but I'd play Woolford based on the last 2 years
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Shades of Noa.. :roflmao
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

MATCH REPORT: Raiders rookie faces nervous wait after starring in pre-season loss to Cowboys

Canberra Raiders youngster Ethan Strange has pressed his claims for a starting halves spot with a standout showing in the team's final pre-season trial, however he faces a nervous wait after being put on report for a dangerous tackle. The halfback led a undermanned Raiders side to a 14-8 half-time lead before a stacked North Queensland Cowboys took control in the second 40 in front of 6048 fans at Seiffert Oval.

Cowboys winger Kyle Feldt crossed for a hat-trick in his side's 36-26 victory. The result denied Canberra the title of Preseason Challenge champions.

NORTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS 36 (Kyle Feldt 3, Thomas Mikaele 2, Zac Laybutt, Murray Taulagi tries, Valentine Holmes 2, Scott Drinkwater 1 conversions) defeated CANBERRA RAIDERS 26 (Ethan Strange, Xavier Savage, Matthew Timoko, Nick Cotric, Peter Hola tries; Ethan Strange 1, Chevy Stewart 1 conversions). Crowd 6048 at Seiffert Oval.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Young Raiders show plenty in trial loss to Cowboys: https://canberradaily.com.au/young-raid ... o-cowboys/

Winners and losers: Papalii sends warning while Raiders miss cash prize

A fitter and leaner Josh Papalii has sent a warning sign to his rivals in his first hit out of the 2024 season. The Canberra Raiders prop produced an impressive 20 minute stint during Sunday's trial against the North Queensland Cowboys at Seiffert Oval. Papalii ran for 79 metres from seven carries to lay the foundation for his side's early 14-4 lead. The veteran has endured a gruelling pre-season, shedding multiple kilograms to ensure his body is firing throughout the season.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

MATCH REPORT: Raiders fall to Cowboys in second Preseason Challenge match: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2024/02 ... nge-match/

Raiders teen stars in No.6 shootout; What we learned: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d6d3d3d728
Last edited by The Greenhouse on February 25, 2024, 6:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Raoul Duke wrote: February 25, 2024, 3:56 pm Why does anyone care what the result was?
Because they (crazily) actually add the preseason comp to club honours. It would be nice to see the 21st century be represented in that list.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I couldn't watch but it sounds ok to me, given the line-up

Going to be a year of managing expectations somewhat
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

My ideal run out side for 2024:

1. Stewart
2. Rapana
3. Kris
4. Timoko (get the man more football)
5. Savage (ditto)
6. Fogarty
7. Strange
8. Horse
9. Woolford
10. Mariota
11. Young
12. Hosking
13. Tapine

14. Puru
15. Papalii
16. Mooney
17. Hola

Best of the rest: Cotric, Schiller, Saulo, Martin, Starling

And if the colonel somehow lands mid-year then Fogarty’s on limited time too
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Good trial for mine.

Looked pretty good with our best team on in the first half, with Rapa, Taps, Fog to come in. Strange looked great but might get suspended. Second half majority of our NSW Cup side got a run against a first grade Cowboys side.

Biggest plus is no injuries!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Rickmando wrote: February 25, 2024, 4:17 pm My ideal run out side for 2024:

1. Stewart
2. Rapana
3. Kris
5. Savage (ditto)
6. Fogarty
7. Strange
8. Horse
9. Woolford
10. Mariota
11. Young
12. Hosking
13. Tapine

14. Puru
15. Papalii
16. Mooney
17. Hola

So Smithies and Whitehead are playing Cup ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

-PJ- wrote: February 25, 2024, 4:21 pm
Rickmando wrote: February 25, 2024, 4:17 pm My ideal run out side for 2024:

1. Stewart
2. Rapana
3. Kris
5. Savage (ditto)
6. Fogarty
7. Strange
8. Horse
9. Woolford
10. Mariota
11. Young
12. Hosking
13. Tapine

14. Puru
15. Papalii
16. Mooney
17. Hola

So Smithies and Whitehead are playing Cup ?
Ah I knew I’d miss someone. Smithies definitely in, for Mooney or Hola I guess.

Whitehead - I’d be happy for him to play zero games of first grade this year. He hasn’t played good footy for 3 years, and in this scenario I’m pretending I have Rick’s level of job security and can plan to peak in 2025/26
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

NoMan wrote: February 25, 2024, 4:08 pm Decent hit out.

- Strange over Weekes by miles. Shame about the probable suspension. I got a lot of concerns about Weekes at this point.
- Levi was a lot better than Woolford. Two of the passes that hit the ground were not even him, and his service and defense were a lot better. Germ looked underdone to me.
- Rapana will be the fullback, not much opportunity for Stewart and Hoppa was the better of those two but he wasn't playing on the backfoot the whole time.
- Saulo and Mooney both played well. Saulo ran some really nice lines and Mooney really helped the defense in the middle when he came back on. Guler was average in comparison and shouldn't be an automatic selection. Hola really struggled defensively but I don't think he is a realistic chance anyway.

Of the rest Papa looked primed for a good year and Smithies really locked up the middle well. Hosking great but might be a waste of a bench spot.
Well said!

Smithies looks very good. Lots of kick pressure and repeat efforts. Love him already.

A shame Stewart didn't get more opportunity in attack. Thought he looked very good in defence.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 25, 2024, 4:30 pm

Well said!

Smithies looks very good. Lots of kick pressure and repeat efforts. Love him already.

A shame Stewart didn't get more opportunity in attack. Thought he looked very good in defence.
I think as soon as Smithies is fully acclimatised to the NRL, he can be a real tone setter for us in terms of work rate.

Not a great amount of punch with the ball in hand I thought - but lots of energy to pair with some of our more dynamic ball runners and hopefully take a bit of defensive work off their plate.

I wouldn’t want him out there with the likes of Guler or Saulo though, I could see that seriously stifling our go-forward.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:

Well said!

Geez, what were you doing out there today? You just let blokes run around you all afternoon!
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Rickmando wrote: February 25, 2024, 4:40 pm

Well said!

I think as soon as Smithies is fully acclimatised to the NRL, he can be a real tone setter for us in terms of work rate.

Not a great amount of punch with the ball in hand I thought - but lots of energy to pair with some of our more dynamic ball runners and hopefully take a bit of defensive work off their plate.

I wouldn’t want him out there with the likes of Guler or Saulo though, I could see that seriously stifling our go-forward.
Calling it now - Morgan Smithies will challenge Yeo, Murray, Carrigan as the best lock in the game in the coming years.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Strange playing right half and he just looks so much better and more confident there. Defensively and offensively. I think he should be the pick in round 1 if available but I don’t think he’ll be available. Tackle looked a 1-2 weeker to me.

If Stuart picks him and plays him left half… honestly it might break me.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 25, 2024, 4:57 pm

Well said!

Calling it now - Morgan Smithies will challenge Yeo, Murray, Carrigan as the best lock in the game in the coming years.
That indeed is a big call
Can’t say I noticed him much at the ground but I expect his game is more likely to be noticed via tv broadcast
Eager to watch it tonight to get a better feel for him
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:
Bluesbrother wrote: February 25, 2024, 4:57 pm

Well said!

That indeed is a big call
Can’t say I noticed him much at the ground but I expect his game is more likely to be noticed via tv broadcast
Eager to watch it tonight to get a better feel for him
I cannot agree on Levi, his service was flat out horrible, Woolford certainly looked off the pace but behind a pack going backwards and 12 on the park

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

dubby wrote: February 25, 2024, 4:02 pm I think Starling looked the better of our 9s.

Strange is looking fine, and I'm hoping he'll escape with a fine. It wasn't a bad tackle.

To lose to an almost nrl cows side in the 2nd half with a nsw cup side was not awful.

Can't agree with you on Starling. Levi was clearly our best 9. Woolford is miles behind.
denissnowy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Really interesting trial. A few thoughts.

- for mine, I think (hope?) that Strange will get a fine. There wasn't that much in it. Max 1 week suspension.

- Chevy definitely needs a bit more time in NSW Cup, but I would love to have seen him on the ground when our starting pack was on. Seemed like he was trying to get involved but couldn't given the cowboys pack was dominate when he was on.

- (despite the game scoreline) I felt our defense looked reasonably well organised in the first half. The right side especially just looked like a rock, especially once Hosking joined Strange and Timoko. Left side seemed disorganised. Some out and out arm tackling from Weekes and Schiller. Hopefully that gets stiffens up with Kris and Fog/Strange.

- was really interested to see Mooney barking orders behind the try line after one of the cowboys tries. Not sure what to make of it (if anything)

So my best 17 is (with who I think RS will pick for R1 in brackets if different):

1. Rapa
2. Cotric
3. Timoko
4. Kris (Hopoate)
5. Savage
6. Strange (Weekes if ES suspended, Cook a smokey)
7. Fogarty
8. Horsbrugh (Papalii)
9. Woolford (Levi)
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Hosking (EW)
13. Smithies
14. Puru (Starling)
15. Papalii
16. Mariota (Saulo)
17. EW (Hosking)
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Kaeo isn't a bad player at all. For me he just isn't as willing to get as involved and put himself in the game as Strange and I think that's what we need in the halves as Jamal isn't that sort of player.

Kaeo has a lot of class about him. I actually would have liked to see him at fullback as I don't think Chevy has done enough to earn the 1. I hope Strange is in the 6 and Kaeo in the 14 for round 1.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

Puru played first receiver for a little bit out there today. And looked great….

Looks to be a solid backup.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

denissnowy wrote: February 25, 2024, 5:06 pm
- was really interested to see Mooney barking orders behind the try line after one of the cowboys tries. Not sure what to make of it (if anything)
Noticed him being the vocal guy at the 2nd half drinks break too
Natural leader imo.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Not bad from the kids/2nd string. Considering cowboys had their starting spine most of the game. Couldv won it there at the end.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

North Queensland defeated the Raiders 36-26 or 7 tries to 5. They were closer to full strength than the Raiders and had a possession advantage 54% to 46% (per NRL stats). I thought the Raiders generally defended well although the long wide balls to the right found us out a number of times. The sin bin for Strange cost us defensively during the 10 minutes we were a player short. We gave them the ball right from the start when Asomua dropped the kick off and again when Cotric took the ball dead on a kick off after a try. I hope we have those basic errors out of our game in the trial match rather than when Competition points are on the line.

Hopefully Fog will be over his hamstring injury for next week, both for his attacking kicks and goal kicking. Taps should give us some extra grunt in the middle and Rapa is also a back up goal kicker and the player to rev up the side. As expected Smithies and Hosking were good defensively. Timoko needs more ball and his try by running around Val Holmes was sensational. Weekes kick out on the full in the first half reminded me of Jack. Hopefully he doesn't do that next week. My son and I will be at the match in Newcastle.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Regs Revolution wrote: February 25, 2024, 5:09 pm Puru played first receiver for a little bit out there today. And looked great….

Good player. Can't see him getting much time in 1st grade this season unless there are injuries.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote:
Regs Revolution wrote: February 25, 2024, 5:09 pm Puru played first receiver for a little bit out there today. And looked great….

Good player. Can't see him getting much time in 1st grade this season unless there are injuries.
I reckon if he was playing on the wing he wouldn’t have let Feldt run around him four times
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It was remarkable watching Jed play
I said last week I like him and I do, the bloke plays where ever they ask him to and does his best. Team player, but someone mentioned last week that my critic of him as an athlete was off the mark

I challenge anyone to watch that game and tell me he’s an NRL athlete :lol:

And granted I think his best position is edge forward and they asked him to go and mark up as a winger against Drinkwater, Val and Feldt but it was jarring to see how they targeted him
He spent a lot of time putting himself in a terrible position but even at times he was in the right spot, he just could not keep in front of the play.
Awful stuff :lol:

He’s a good bloke to have around nsw cup though imo. Team first, hard working mentality
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 25, 2024, 5:02 pm
dubby wrote: February 25, 2024, 4:02 pm I think Starling looked the better of our 9s.

Can't agree with you on Starling. Levi was clearly our best 9. Woolford is miles behind.
I think they'll rotate. But Levi threw a few ground balls

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The Nickman wrote: February 25, 2024, 5:25 pm
Bluesbrother wrote:

I reckon if he was playing on the wing he wouldn’t have let Feldt run around him four times
What's your point Nickman? We all know Jed Stuart isn't a first grader? Just looking for a bait?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

How was Hoppa at fullback by the way?