21%

Total votes: 19

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Re: 2024 Trial 1 v Eels: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Savage is fast , Russell is fast , it wasn't Todd Bryne running him down

Not one of our players who played the bulk of the year in the backs last year could have made the break Savage did.

Didnt the Fox get run down last year or the year before?
Wighton has ran down Turbo.
Running with the ball in hands takes an edge of your top speed.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Savage’s speed is fine. People are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

He’s not going to stride out 100% in the first trial of the pre season - if you do that you’re asking to ping a hammy.

Give him the benefit of full match conditioning and a consistent run of football until we judge whether he’s lost a step.

And as a sidebar - the great thing about that play was his VISION. He wasn’t content to just defuse the play or scrap his way out of the in goal - he’s instinctively picked that ball up and instantly switched gears to offense, finding a way through disorganised defenders. The modern game gives you less broken-play opportunities than in years past, it was great to see him back himself and weave his way upfield for a 70m gain. Ask yourself - are any of our other outside backs capable of doing that?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Noah charged , 1-2 match ban
Nothing for the eels hip drop
Vaccinated
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 18, 2024, 10:23 am Savage is fast , Russell is fast , it wasn't Todd Bryne running him down

Not one of our players who played the bulk of the year in the backs last year could have made the break Savage did.

The Foxx got ran down by Phillip Sami.

I wonder if Savage was hampered by the hip drop or fatigue. You’d think he’d smoke Russell in a genuine foot race.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: February 18, 2024, 10:23 am Savage is fast , Russell is fast , it wasn't Todd Bryne running him down

If you look Savage also had to peep over his shoulder, realise he was angling closer to the chaser and then change course. If you do that will ball in hand vs a fellow speedster they just might catch you.

But the 70m break off a ball we could have been caught in goal or caught 10m out with is exactly the difference you sometimes get when starting a set when you have raw speed vs not. You trade that against 3-5m more on some ruck out hit ups.
Green Machine
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Green Machine »

Maybe Sanders played poorly to try and help with an early release to us.
2011 Bronze Member - #8066
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Raiders scored off the back of the break anyway didn’t they? Or if they didn’t they should have. The break in itself puts you 1000% better than where Raiders end up on that play without Savage. The pick up on the run, and nous to size the opportunity was excellent.

As for getting run down as others highlighted:
- He’s holding the ball
- He’s probably already covered 20-30 m running weaving through the defence before the real foot race starts meaning he’s used a chunk of his gas.
- Savage needs to be keeping awareness of passing opportunities and other defenders. Chaser can just focus on running straight at ball.
- Not going full out in a trial.

Worrying about getting caught in that - meh. It’s just exciting to see breaks like that in lime green.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Savage line break, 6 again, Taateo scored

He honestly looked in 2nd gear during the run, it was not long after the hip drop by Makatoa as well
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

Trial's are a funny thing. If you get spanked you say "well its only a trial and it doesn't count", if you are the Spanker you still say "well its only a trial and it doesn't count..."
For me the most notable thing across the park was speed, and speed in spades. Weaks/Stewart/Savage/Schiller (and probs some other players I don't know the names of) - but there was (for my mind) a noticeably quick team out there. Not just the couple of line breaks, or even the long range tries (though they are fun to watch) - but all the kick chases - Strange was booting down field and our kick chasers were almost there to catch the ball. It felt like we were putting *a lot* more pressure on their catchers. Which results in either errors or 2-3 sets where they make bugger all yardage. either way good signs. Now how do we replicate that in NRL....
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shiv wrote: February 18, 2024, 11:42 am Trial's are a funny thing. If you get spanked you say "well its only a trial and it doesn't count", if you are the Spanker you still say "well its only a trial and it doesn't count..."
For me the most notable thing across the park was speed, and speed in spades. Weaks/Stewart/Savage/Schiller (and probs some other players I don't know the names of) - but there was (for my mind) a noticeably quick team out there. Not just the couple of line breaks, or even the long range tries (though they are fun to watch) - but all the kick chases - Strange was booting down field and our kick chasers were almost there to catch the ball. It felt like we were putting *a lot* more pressure on their catchers. Which results in either errors or 2-3 sets where they make bugger all yardage. either way good signs. Now how do we replicate that in NRL....
Pick fast players?
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

greeneyed wrote: February 18, 2024, 11:44 am
Shiv wrote: February 18, 2024, 11:42 am Trial's are a funny thing. If you get spanked you say "well its only a trial and it doesn't count", if you are the Spanker you still say "well its only a trial and it doesn't count..."
Pick fast players?
That a good start. Accompanied by dropping the grindball obsession and starting to create space for said speedsters?

It sounds so simple to the “couch coaches”!
Last edited by Rickmando on February 18, 2024, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Saulo was best on field by a fair way, Loughan lewis was really strong and the 9s were lively.

Stewart was good defensively and was around the ball a lot but has no ability to make meters, he collapsed in every tackle. If he plays 1 we desperately need our wingers to make big meters.

Strange was ok without standing out, weekes same. Asomou deserves another look.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

All you heard in the commentary was Lewis's name. He was in everything. Very busy.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2024 Trial 1 v Eels: Teams and Game Day *Teams p1*

Post by gangrenous »

I’m interested to see what the approach is for the next trial and round 1.

If Ricky looks at that and runs out 2023 selections and tactics I’m gonna need you guys to crowdfund me a new TV and a new brick.
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

The TV I understand, but why a new brick? What are you doing to the poor brick.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Rickmando wrote: February 18, 2024, 11:52 am
greeneyed wrote: February 18, 2024, 11:44 am
Pick fast players?
That a good start. Accompanied by dropping the grindball obsession and starting to create space for said speedsters?

It sounds so simple to the “couch coaches”!
Savage at prop to boost that average speed across the pitch :thumbsup
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

So far Sticky has selected Strange on the left, both last year as a center and this year as a half back. His stand out U'19 rep game he played on the right and most of his NSW Cup games he was on the right. Next weeks selection of the halves will be very interesting. I get that Fog has been on the right for the past two years but this is an opportunity to move a workman like NRL half to the left where his game will be similar, and replace him on the right with a potential well above average NRL half. Next week is a trial game with no competition points on the line. Give it a 20 minute quarter and see how it goes Stick. Use the trial for gaining knowledge on how Fog goes on the left and how Strange goes against FG opposition on the right.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'm keen to watch the replay. Interesting to me that Strange and Chevy didn't get any tries or assists

I said after the NSW Cup semi last year that neither looked quite ready for 2024, so I'll be interested to see if that's changed. I mean not that you have to wait until they're fully ready to pick them, it also just might mean a bit of patience is required, give them time to iron out their bumps, in Chevy's case maybe bulk up a bit etc. In that sense the comment that we might win some by plenty this year, and lose some by plenty, might be about right. Again, 2007ish

Great to see Savage's big line break. I think that's testament to his strengths being not just straight line speed, as he got mowed down, but changing angles. I've said that all along. I was concerned it would be wasted on the wing, but that break showed maybe it won't be
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Canberra Milk wrote:I'm keen to watch the replay. Interesting to me that Strange and Chevy didn't get any tries or assists

I said after the NSW Cup semi last year that neither looked quite ready for 2024, so I'll be interested to see if that's changed. I mean not that you have to wait until they're fully ready to pick them, it also just might mean a bit of patience is required, give them time to iron out their bumps, in Chevy's case maybe bulk up a bit etc. In that sense the comment that we might win some by plenty this year, and lose some by plenty, might be about right. Again, 2007ish

Great to see Savage's big line break. I think that's testament to his strengths being not just straight line speed, as he got mowed down, but changing angles. I've said that all along. I was concerned it would be wasted on the wing, but that break showed maybe it won't be
certainly didn't look like he was full gas then got into a bit of a running battle with Russell.
Asomua probably outplayed Sav a bit.

Based on that game and a midweek quote about his current fitness level I've got Rapa at #1 to start the season

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Nephew of Raiders great shines in trial as youngster whacked with ban

It might just be a trial but there's definitely a lot of positives to take from Canberra Raiders' 38-16 demolition of Parramatta in Sydney on Saturday.

Raiders fans couldn't hide their excitement on social media as an energised group of youngsters ran rings around the Eels, with an especially lethal five-try second half showcasing the Green Machine's bright future.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

The Greenhouse score update service
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I thought Rapa might be coming in at 1 too. With Cotric and Savage on the wings.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:I thought Rapa might be coming in at 1 too. With Cotric and Savage on the wings.
did cotric look a bit lighter?

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It was a really good trial. The result was a bit silly towards the end, but I thought our starters played really well and responded to being 0-10 down as well as you could expect.

Stewart looked comfortable in his debut. There is definitely something there. He looks to be a complete footballer without fear in defence, despite his age. Definitely not a one trick speed merchant, which can be a thing in that position.

I like Ethan Strange. A lot. Despite a few mistakes, I think he's solid in defence, in a position you get targeted...a lot. Better than the vast majority of halves his age. He put in some great kicks and plays with a level head.

I thought Saulo, Ata and Martin stood out in the forwards. Loghan Lewis really ripped in too. Martin is the guy that could come out of nowhere to contend for a first grade spot by the end of the year. Really impressed.

A really good game.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Seiffert82 on February 18, 2024, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

bonehead wrote: February 18, 2024, 7:00 pm
zim wrote:I thought Rapa might be coming in at 1 too. With Cotric and Savage on the wings.
did cotric look a bit lighter?
Yeah he's trimmed a bit.
Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

zim wrote: February 18, 2024, 5:02 pm I thought Rapa might be coming in at 1 too. With Cotric and Savage on the wings.
Stewart looks at least a year away so I tend to agree that raps might end up being the fullback. Out of all the players we have he is the most creative. If he could defend well he really should be our 6 but defensive decisions clearly isn't his strength.
Still not convinced that Savage will play wing, I think Schiller is right in the frame with cotric if raps is fullback.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

In one of the videos the Raiders put up (maybe the NFL one) they interviewed Rapa who was not wearing a shirt. He looked lean as and I suggested it may be to start the year at FB. Bit of experience in the spine would do well until Stewart or Savage put their hand up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

We (infuriatingly) play a very different game to most with our spine. There was a moment in the first half where we were in the attacking half for 2 sets and the only time a half or fullback touched the ball was a last tackle kick.

Off the back of that the eels made it into our end, and the halves had a combined 6 touches in a single set.

We did very very little from a structure point of view to actually engage our spine in any sort of attacking structure, so you can’t be too hard on them for no tries or assists. Strange kicked fairly well, and he wouldn’t be the primary kicker next to Fog anyway. Stewart was really good at sniffing around the ruck, and that will pay off with our staring pack and ability to offload.

Sticky has this tendency to simplify styles if we sees a green player in a position - we went away from backline sweeps when CNK left, we went away from creativity from 9 when Hodgo left, we away from ringing on the edge when Bateman and BJ left…. Now we understand our strength is in the middle and almost exclusively use that. It is painful at times to watch because our forwards create a great platform and we don’t utilise it.

It must be maddening to be a winger in our squad knowing the only time you’re likely to touch the ball is a kick return or off a kick.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I really want to understand Stuart’s intentions in that trial

Weekes is a better left half, Strange is a better right half. They played opposite sides, which suggests to me Stuart might be leaning Strange to partner Fog.

But playing him at left half to accomodate Fogs on the right, seems incredibly short sighted to me when the long term vision is Sanders LH, Strange RH.
This is going to be something firmly on my radar this year. If Weekes is the favourite to start week 1, where he and Strange played in ghat trial is hard to make sense of.

Who Stuart goes with between Savage or Cotric will be a good early sign of just how serious all this off season chatter about turning the page and embracing a new era really is
Cotric played well enough in the trial and to end last year to justify that selection. Savage played well enough and has played well enough in FG to justify that selection.
For me that selection will be the best early indication of Stuart’s philosophy and expectations this year.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If Ricky selects Savage over Cotric you’ll need some smelling salts handy to bring me back around.

Can’t see it happening personally.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Cotric can still be a class winger, I've got him clearly over savage especially if he can stay lean and injury free, no point playing him half busted as he needs that explosiveness to be effective.
Savage looked to have improved but if Sean Russell has your number it's not a great day.

On the left right halves maybe he was seeing how Kaeo works as a right half with strange as a Burton type centre.

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

bonehead wrote: February 19, 2024, 8:25 am
On the left right halves maybe he was seeing how Kaeo works as a right half with strange as a Burton type centre.

That doesn’t make any sense at all imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:I really want to understand Stuart’s intentions in that trial

Weekes is a better left half, Strange is a better right half. They played opposite sides, which suggests to me Stuart might be leaning Strange to partner Fog.

But playing him at left half to accomodate Fogs on the right, seems incredibly short sighted to me when the long term vision is Sanders LH, Strange RH.
This is going to be something firmly on my radar this year. If Weekes is the favourite to start week 1, where he and Strange played in ghat trial is hard to make sense of.

Who Stuart goes with between Savage or Cotric will be a good early sign of just how serious all this off season chatter about turning the page and embracing a new era really is
Cotric played well enough in the trial and to end last year to justify that selection. Savage played well enough and has played well enough in FG to justify that selection.
For me that selection will be the best early indication of Stuart’s philosophy and expectations this year.
I’ve been thinking about this myself. What if Stuart’s planning on switching Fog this year to the left, but is keen on starting Weekes in Round 1 so has played him on the right?

Strange he to play on the left to accommodate Weekes getting used to the right, but long term goal is Strange right and Sanders left?

I know, I know, it’s way too much forward planning for our super coach, but a guy can dream, right?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I guess we’ll know more when we see the halves run out in the next trial, but I’m really hoping for Fogarty left/Weekes right.

That way, if Strange supplants Weekes throughout the season, or Weekes is needed at fullback, theoretically Strange can slot straight into the right.

Dreams are free, right?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Maybe he just thinks Strange can be good on the left? or wants to build ability to pop up either side.