2023 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Greenthumb
David Grant
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: 2023 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

Old School Green wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:55 pm
President Clinton wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:43 pm Adam Gee was very good.
Agree. Just let them play. Understood his assignment and delivered. His to lose forthwith !
Brilliant game from Gee! Hopefully we never see Klein/Atkins near a big game ever again.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Botman wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:49 pm
Northern Raider wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:47 pm
President Clinton wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:43 pm Adam Gee was very good.
Yep. Would love to see all games reffed like that.

Also credit to both teams for playing clean. Very little grubbiness in the game.
hats off man
Dont know if he got the broncos try before half time right, didnt look like on tv replays, but no one got a better veiw of it than him and otherwise, completely unnoticable. Perfect refereeing performance, the players decided the game and he might as well have not been there.
There was another angle late, side on that showed the ball clearly on the line,
He had a great game by only penalising things that really required it
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

sigh..... now we will NEVER hear the end of it from these smug pricks..... seriously someone has to stop them eventually...
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

President Clinton wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:40 pm
Rickmando wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:25 pm That’s what a halfback/key player who wants the responsibility for getting the win looks like.

We have no one willing or capable of doing what Cleary just did
Geez that’s a bad take.

Perhaps no rugby league team have ever had what Cleary is capable of. Not just the Raiders, pal.
Nothing wrong with the take. It’s about the intent, not the actual outcome.
Last edited by Rickmando on October 1, 2023, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: 2022 Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by Dr Zaius »

Dr Zaius wrote:Predictably there is a lot of salt in this thread. I'm struggling to see the alleged bad sportsmanship that certain posters rant about.

Penrith have been far and away the best side the last three years. You don't have to like it, but you can't deny that they deserve it. They did it without importing superstars. Without a questionable salary sombrero. And with out changing the game through grubby, ethically dubious tactics specifically designed to put opposition in precarious situations.

Kudos to Phil Gould, he copped a lot of ****, but he rebuilt that club into a powerhouse.

I look forward to seeing which team gets sacrificed to Penrith in next year's grand final.
I'm going to bump this one. That sacrifice didn't disappoint. It was sweet. Very sweet.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Lucky wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:57 pm sigh..... now we will NEVER hear the end of it from these smug pricks..... seriously someone has to stop them eventually...
Just not the Broncos. Or Eels. Or Roosters. Or Manly.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well. I best head over to LU to bathe in Broncos tears. I'm expecting an Olympic sized pool of tears after they built a seemingly match sealing lead only to lose in incredible fashion. I will saviour every **** moment, the cruel and petty man I am.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

gerg wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:58 pm Well. I best head over to LU to bathe in Broncos tears. I'm expecting an Olympic sized pool of tears after they built a seemingly match sealing lead only to lose in incredible fashion. I will saviour every **** moment, the cruel and petty man I am.
Same here. What is wrong with me?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Take note Raiders. That game was won twice, neither by the grind.

Let’s put to bed the idea that finals are won by grind now. With whistles away you must be able to CREATE position and points.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Greenthumb wrote:
gerg wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:58 pm Well. I best head over to LU to bathe in Broncos tears. I'm expecting an Olympic sized pool of tears after they built a seemingly match sealing lead only to lose in incredible fashion. I will saviour every **** moment, the cruel and petty man I am.
Broncos HQ as well

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:
Dr Greenthumb wrote:
Broncos HQ as well

Great idea. I'm heading out boys!
Dr Greenthumb
David Grant

Post by Dr Greenthumb »

gangrenous wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:02 pm Take note Raiders. That game was won twice, neither by the grind.

Let’s put to bed the idea that finals are won by grind now. With whistles away you must be able to CREATE position and points.
I think the signing of Weakes and interest in Esra is a good sign. Problem is his asking price just doubled.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gangrenous wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:02 pm Take note Raiders. That game was won twice, neither by the grind.

Narrator: But alas, the Raiders did not take note, and doubled down on their grind ball purgatory.
Up The Milk
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Just incredible.

Saw the best of Nathan Cleary tonight, when the chips were down and his halves partner was forced off the field.

Incredible performance.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Nickman wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:40 pm
gerg wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Cleary should be Clive Churchill winner but they’ll give it to Mam
No way they can give it to anyone but Cleary. No way. That was pretty amazing how he took control of that game.
Get ready to be disappointed pal
:lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Well said.
Attacking football and aggressive mindsets win the game.
The grind is and has been dead for a bit.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:Honestly, that is close to the euphoria I felt at our prelim win in 2019. That and the 2015 GF. Love watching Broncos getting their hearts broken.

Hopefully Walsh follows Milfords trajectory now and gets on the pies.
Agreed. This is the happiest NRL moment I’ve had since the 2015 GF, so **** good.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hard not to enjoy the infectious enthusiasm, the friendship and passion for each other and the community
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

The Nickman wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:15 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:Honestly, that is close to the euphoria I felt at our prelim win in 2019. That and the 2015 GF. Love watching Broncos getting their hearts broken.

Hopefully Walsh follows Milfords trajectory now and gets on the pies.
Agreed. This is the happiest NRL moment I’ve had since the 2015 GF, so **** good.
Correct
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Dr Zaius wrote:
-TW- wrote:
Dr Greenthumb wrote:
Broncos HQ as well

The gloriousness of them hanging **** on Reynolds and saying he's overrated and cost them the GF

They'd be nowhere **** near the gf if they didn't have reynolds

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Mitch Kenny is an impressive young lad
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

-TW- wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:19 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:
-TW- wrote:
Dr Greenthumb wrote:
Broncos HQ as well

The gloriousness of them hanging **** on Reynolds and saying he's overrated and cost them the GF

They'd be nowhere **** near the gf if they didn't have reynolds

Ungrateful *****. They don’t deserve nice things, like 16 point leads in grand finals with 20 to go
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cleary is on a trajectory that puts on par with any player who has laced a boot
I honestly can not beleive that performance... down 16 with 20 to go and what he did... was actually special

Wow.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:Cleary is on a trajectory that puts on par with any player who has laced a boot
I honestly can not beleive that performance... down 16 with 20 to go and what he did... was actually special

Wow.
Can you imagine how good it must have felt to watch that as a Panthers fan?

It was bloody enjoyable as a fan of the game who doesn’t like the Panthers.

If the Raiders did that… well…
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:31 pm
Botman wrote:Cleary is on a trajectory that puts on par with any player who has laced a boot

Wow.
Can you imagine how good it must have felt to watch that as a Panthers fan?

It was bloody enjoyable as a fan of the game who doesn’t like the Panthers.

If the Raiders did that… well…
Can i imagine it?
A kid born in Nepean hospital, who spent my entire first 21 years living in St Clair and living and loving life in Penrith and only chose this god forsaken football team because i was a contraian ****?
No i have not imagine it at all, Doc.
Thanks. You **** *********************

(i did say to my wife tonight, i am very glad i met her and have my life because of my choice to be a Raiders fan, because otherwise id be **** HEADLESS about this **** :lol: )
Last edited by Botman on October 1, 2023, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Botman wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:27 pm Cleary is on a trajectory that puts on par with any player who has laced a boot

Wow.
Don’t forget, the last 2 Broncos tries came via his missed tackles. To pick himself up off the canvas like that, is beyond belief.
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

Botman wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:27 pm Cleary is on a trajectory that puts on par with any player who has laced a boot

Wow.
He will be an immortal !
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

The Greenhouse wrote: October 1, 2023, 8:02 pm 60 minute mark The Panthers trail by 16 and they need three converted tries in the final 20 minutes. It's achievable, but not the way they're playing at the moment. They need to open up in attack, but they're missing Luai and Yeo.
This set the scene so well. Cleary interviewed on radio after the game said he was playing ordinary and had hurt his knee in the first half and he could not take the first Panthers shot at goal as a result. He spoke of how he was made to look stupid (his word) by Mam and Walsh. Instead of going into his shell he turns on some of the best football seen in a Grand Final to take the game away from the Broncos. The whole side have belief in each other and the coach and the ability and desire to play out the full 80 minutes flat out. The Crichton tough effort try and the Leota backing up for the prop to score a try. They don't give up on a game until the final whistle and they are fit enough to do it. Then Cleary iced the game with a solo try.

Well done Panthers. Minor Premiers to Premiers and thoroughly deserved. Now to get Ivan Cleary coaching NSW to have every game a contest.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

One of the most enjoyable rugby league matches I’ve ever seen. Clearys 30 minutes was absolutely brilliant.

The game changed greatly when Luai got hooked. Luai was horrible in this game. Was a real hindrance to Penrith, their left side attack was impotent while he was on. Cogger came on, straightened up and simplified their attack, taking on the #7 role. Cleary was then unshackled and did whatever the **** he wanted and was absolutely breathtakingly brilliant given the circumstances.

Real kudos to Ivan Cleary. Cogger didn’t look like he’d work with Nathan C to start with. But the coaching move to loosen up Cleary’s attacking role to suit Cogger’s game (genuine first receive) saw them get better and better (played the best football Penrith did all year in their last couple of games). This has culminated in it being implemented in a grand final chasing 16 points in under 30 minutes. This is the pure footy stuff that floats my boat.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Well done to panthers. I dont like them because of their arrogance, but as a league fan have enormous respect for them.

All the key positions are from within. 4 grand finals in a row and a 3peat.

They did this while losing some decent talent. But I think the players exiting might be too much for them to continue.

I dont think they win it next year. Broncos only lost by 2 points and made a LOT of mistakes. I think they dominate next year and win it.

No other side is close to these 2.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Incredible game that, played a break neck speed. Panthers were put through that test just to show the type of side they are. Generational.

You dream of your halfback standing up and giving you that type of performance when you're down and gone. To go out there and actually do it in a Grand Final.... simply amazing. Had it not have been for Cleary, Broncos would've put another 20 on by the end of it.

Both sides showed exactly what direction the game has gone in, and will go further- speed, power, and agility are the most valuable commodities in the game today. We would've been belted by 50 out there by either side.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Imagine being the most privileged club in the competition having every conceivable advantage forwarded to you, and still not winning a competition in 18 years. It really warms the cockles.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 1, 2023, 9:05 pm
-TW- wrote:
Dr Greenthumb wrote:
Broncos HQ as well

Normally I’d encourage you to head to Broncos HQ, crack some heads and feast on the goo, but they are Broncos supporters so that goo is intolerable.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

afgtnk wrote: October 1, 2023, 10:34 pm Incredible game that, played a break neck speed. Panthers were put through that test just to show the type of side they are. Generational.

You dream of your halfback standing up and giving you that type of performance when you're down and gone. To go out there and actually do it in a Grand Final.... simply amazing. Had it not have been for Cleary, Broncos would've put another 20 on by the end of it.

Both sides showed exactly what direction the game has gone in, and will go further- speed, power, and agility are the most valuable commodities in the game today. We would've been belted by 50 out there by either side.
I believe we have the potential to compete with a few right signings. Our grind footy would have been exposed big time. Panthers or Broncos would have more than 50 on us.

We would are sooo far behind these 2 its not even funny. Men against boys.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 1, 2023, 10:44 pm Imagine being the most privileged club in the competition having every conceivable advantage forwarded to you, and still not winning a competition in 18 years. It really warms the cockles.
It even warms the subcockles!
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.