2023 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2023 NRL Grand Final: Teams and Game Day

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Great game, but it really shows me how far off the pace we have become under Ricky Stuart. His usual relatives and buddies (and Ricky himself) will defend him, but the coach, like what Ivan Cleary did, owns the results.

I am jealous how Brisbane in recent won the wooden spoon, got flogged by 50 plus in a semi final v Parra, had a collapse to fall outside of the top 8 last year, to now being one of the premier teams challenging for the comp. Yet we just pat ourselves on the back for making the 8.

Ricky would have played Corey Oates instead of Jesse Arthurs last night.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 2, 2023, 2:49 pm Great game, but it really shows me how far off the pace we have become under Ricky Stuart. His usual relatives and buddies (and Ricky himself) will defend him, but the coach, like what Ivan Cleary did, owns the results.

I am jealous how Brisbane in recent won the wooden spoon, got flogged by 50 plus in a semi final v Parra, had a collapse to fall outside of the top 8 last year, to now being one of the premier teams challenging for the comp. Yet we just pat ourselves on the back for making the 8.

Rick would have played Michael Hancock
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:It was a great game, but I can't say I can't say I found any joy or excitement about the result. Would have been the same the other way. For the life of me, I don't get why any Raiders fan would. But that isn't what I was attempting to say. The day after Grand Final Day always feels empty. Unless the Raiders win. And that hasn't happened for a long time.
I found joy in watching the Broncos lose. It's the little things.
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

Rickmando wrote: October 2, 2023, 3:13 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: October 2, 2023, 2:49 pm Great game, but it really shows me how far off the pace we have become under Ricky Stuart. His usual relatives and buddies (and Ricky himself) will defend him, but the coach, like what Ivan Cleary did, owns the results.

Rick would have played Michael Hancock
Geez you guys obviously don’t know Rocky very well. Albert Hopoate would have been first one picked even if he had the previous weekend off to get his eyebrows tinted and he was a contracted Raider :P
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: October 2, 2023, 1:59 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 2, 2023, 12:53 pm
Question wrote: October 2, 2023, 11:09 am Just seeing now the replay of that game, wow, I knew we were garbage, but we are so far off the pace and on another planet it's not even funny.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
Without being creative and moving players into different positions to fit them in, how many Raiders do you think make either of those sides?
Tapine, Papalli, Young, Hors, Rapana surely get a run somewhere, even off the bench. Slim pickings outside of that.
Sounds like you’re being creative and moving players into different positions to fit them in. In a direct comparison to the starting positions they play I’d suggest your slim pickings get a lot slimmer.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: October 2, 2023, 3:27 pm
Finchy wrote: October 2, 2023, 1:59 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 2, 2023, 12:53 pm
Question wrote: October 2, 2023, 11:09 am Just seeing now the replay of that game, wow, I knew we were garbage, but we are so far off the pace and on another planet it's not even funny.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk
Without being creative and moving players into different positions to fit them in, how many Raiders do you think make either of those sides?
Tapine, Papalli, Young, Hors, Rapana surely get a run somewhere, even off the bench. Slim pickings outside of that.
Sounds like you’re being creative and moving players into different positions to fit them in. In a direct comparison to the starting positions they play I’d suggest your slim pickings get a lot slimmer.
Fine. If they can’t get bench positions then the answer is probably none then.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:It was a great game, but I can't say I can't say I found any joy or excitement about the result. Would have been the same the other way. For the life of me, I don't get why any Raiders fan would. But that isn't what I was attempting to say. The day after Grand Final Day always feels empty. Unless the Raiders win. And that hasn't happened for a long time.
Because **** the broncos, that’s why.

Not sure why that’s so hard to understand.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

The Nickman wrote:

I understand it perfectly.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Yep. It's not rocket surgery.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 2, 2023, 3:46 pm
reptar wrote:
The Nickman wrote:

Yep. It's not rocket surgery.
I'm on board with this.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I’m not even lying when I say it’s the happiest I’ve been after a grand final since 2015.

So I think I’ve figured out the common denominator here.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

You know Rugba Leeg is in a good spot when the Donkeys are losing.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:You know Rugba Leeg is in a good spot when the Donkeys are losing.
It really is. I’ve realised something today, that my favourite grand final moments outside of the raiders involve the broncos losing.

So when I say my two favourite teams are the raiders and whoeve plays the broncos, I guess I really do mean it.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Finchy wrote: October 2, 2023, 1:57 pm
Riaan wrote: October 2, 2023, 1:06 pm Good god. Nathan Cleary puts in a performance that has him in the rarified air of a Andrew Johns or Ricky Stuart and you have people get trying to talk up Jack Cogger :roflmao :roflmao never change GH
Jack Cogger actually made a huge difference when he came on, and Cleary actually highlighted that in the presser. Both were good
^^^^ one of the first things Cleary said about actually playing was wrapping Cogger. He literally said him coming on ‘unlocked him and was helping him see space and they followed each other around’

I’ll take the barb from Riaan without being rude: I guess that’s the beauty of sport. You can enjoy the superstar in all his glory putting the team on his back and winning the grand final.

But you can also enjoy the unheralded journeyman halfback thrown In the deep end. He replaced the Origin five-eighth at the same time that the ball playing Origin lock and club captain was off the field, 16 points behind.

There’s nothing wrong with either. But to watch those final 20 minutes and not give a nod to what Jack (the plodder) Cogger got done, given the context, is not right imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
-PJ- wrote:You know Rugba Leeg is in a good spot when the Donkeys are losing.
It really is. I’ve realised something today, that my favourite grand final moments outside of the raiders involve the broncos losing.

So when I say my two favourite teams are the raiders and whoeve plays the broncos, I guess I really do mean it.
Welcome friend!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

One for Dubs Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL grand final climate change protest thwarted by stadium security

Another planned on-field protest by former Canberra player Mark McLinden never eventuated as heightened security at the venue made sure were no pitch invaders. McLinden had promised to disrupt the Penrith and Brisbane clash like he had done 12 months earlier. This time though it never happened. It is unclear if his plan was thwarted by security or if he never followed through with his planned protest.

McLinden put out a statement just before kick-off and said the only reason he would not take to the field was if security was the venue stopped him.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 0b85ce1b20
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Great english on that last paragraph

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

I’m sure McLinden’s one-man protests disrupting games is having the desired effect he hopes it is. Our very own version of Greta
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So the Panthers are favourites on Sportsbet to win in 2024. Surprisingly, we are not.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Dr Zaius wrote: October 2, 2023, 6:28 pm So the Panthers are favourites on Sportsbet to win in 2024. Surprisingly, we are not.
We are favourites to have an underwhelming trial period and a slow start to the season.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

-PJ- wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: October 2, 2023, 6:28 pm So the Panthers are favourites on Sportsbet to win in 2024. Surprisingly, we are not.
We are favourites to have an underwhelming trial period and a slow start to the season.
Can see it now, we’ll decide to blood some young players but maintain complete disdain for trials. They can start finding their feet in first grade at the expense of competition points.

But will peak in time for finals!

Which we missed by 4 points.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

We are not even in the same suburb as the two GF teams……Last nights game showed what CLUTCH means in various stages….Wished we had the V knights, at least……
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Cleary put on an immortal level performance in that last 20. Brilliant.

I do agree with some of the others here that he still has yet to show that at origin level, but he has plenty of his career left to do so
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

Cleary's performance was the level I'd expect to see when needed by a million dollar plus player. He delivered when it mattered.

If you're not able to do that, your club is stupid paying that much.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Big thanks to the Broncos for providing 2 of the great grand final finishes in my lifetime.

The 2015 try to Kyle Feldt had me leaping out of my chair, but last nights comeback had me in disbelief and mild shock.

**** the Broncos.
samvucago
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jon Hardy

Post by samvucago »

myanonymoususername wrote: October 2, 2023, 9:21 pm Cleary's performance was the level I'd expect to see when needed by a million dollar plus player. He delivered when it mattered.

I am not being antagonistic but by this measure there is a lot of stupid clubs in the NRL. No current player other than Cleary could do what he did on Sunday night.
So either the players on over $1m are overpaid or Cleary is underpaid!
The Raiders were one left handed signature away from paying Jackie Boi $1.1m for 4 years for god sake. That’s not stoopid that’s ridiculous.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Anyone want to chip in and buy Walsh a year's supply at the Yatala Pie Shop? Hopefully he stops off everyday to and from training.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Finchy wrote: October 2, 2023, 6:18 pm I’m sure McLinden’s one-man protests disrupting games is having the desired effect he hopes it is. Our very own version of Greta
If it was the security staff who stopped disruption to the Grand Final from any quarter, well done to them.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

samvucago wrote: October 3, 2023, 5:48 am
myanonymoususername wrote: October 2, 2023, 9:21 pm Cleary's performance was the level I'd expect to see when needed by a million dollar plus player. He delivered when it mattered.

I am not being antagonistic but by this measure there is a lot of stupid clubs in the NRL. No current player other than Cleary could do what he did on Sunday night.
So either the players on over $1m are overpaid or Cleary is underpaid!
The Raiders were one left handed signature away from paying Jackie Boi $1.1m for 4 years for god sake. That’s not stoopid that’s ridiculous.
I’m not saying anyone other than Cleary would have done it, but there are plenty of good halves that have the ability to do it.

Ponga, Moses, Munster, DCE, Hunt have the potential to do what Cleary did (line break to set up a try, kick a 40/20, score a try). Hynes, Walker, and Johnson are on less than a million and also have that potential.

They’re all worth big coin.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

One thing about Grand Final Day which I thought was a success away from football was the pre-match entertainment. I am usually ho-hum to that, but the Tina Turner tribute with that big booming voice was a beauty imo.