2023 NRL Finals Week 3: Teams and Game Day

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will play in the NRL Grand Final?

Penrith Panthers
45%
Melbourne Storm
18%
Brisbane Broncos
9%
New Zealand Warriors
27%

Total votes: 11

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2023 NRL Finals Week 3: Teams and Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

Did anyone notice CNK smiling after full time?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:Did anyone notice CNK smiling after full time?
It was good to see.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: September 23, 2023, 9:46 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2023, 9:45 pm So this is going to be a nightmare Grand Final.
Who are you going for?
No one. One option is as objectionable as the other.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2023, 9:49 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 23, 2023, 9:46 pm
greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2023, 9:45 pm So this is going to be a nightmare Grand Final.
Who are you going for?
No one. One option is as objectionable as the other.
One of those objectionable teams will be premiers.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

You're Raiders-pilled
This is a good GF with the best teams who play great football.
Best two teams playing for all the marbles.

My early tip, Penrith 34-16.
Reckon the broncos keep it close mid way but the Panthers run away with it in the final 20.
Im a hopeless gambler to fade appropriately
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: September 23, 2023, 9:52 pm
You're Raiders-pilled

Reckon the broncos keep it close mid way but the Panthers run away with it in the final 20.
I think Penrith will win, as the Broncos are not sufficiently controlled in attack and Penrith will force errors from them. And the Broncos don’t have the defence needed. But it’s a result I find as distasteful as the alternative. I don’t like any other clubs, but both of these are very high on my list of disliked clubs.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2023, 9:55 pm
You're Raiders-pilled

I think Penrith will win, as the Broncos are not sufficiently controlled in attack and Penrith will force errors from them. And the Broncos don’t have the defence needed. But it’s a result I find as distasteful as the alternative. I don’t like any other clubs, but both of these are very high on my list of disliked clubs.
Well I won’t ask you for a tip in the AFL :roflmao
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You're Raiders-pilled

I’ve got a lot of friends and family with interests in the panthers
But more than most I root for greatness and I root for teams who do it the right way

The panthers are a home grown juggernaut
They’re arrogant because they know they’re **** good. You’d not say a **** word if we were this good and carrying on like them
And I get it, envy is a tough emotion to deal with…

Go the Pahs
Be great
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Penny are going to win as many premierships in 3 years as we have won in 30 odd. #Bleedgreen.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ponga or Walsh?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:08 pm Penny are going to win as many premierships in 3 years as we have won in 30 odd. #Bleedgreen.
And they ain’t done yet
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:06 pm
You're Raiders-pilled

But more than most I root for greatness and I root for teams who do it the right way

They’re arrogant because they know they’re **** good. You’d not say a **** word if we were this good and carrying on like them

Go the Pahs
Be great
Why do you think I’d not say a word? I always speak out against that sort of behaviour and have regularly done so when Raiders players don’t show good sportsmanship.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I've got no trouble choosing who to cheer for. It's not even close. **** the Broncos. Now and forever.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I hope Ricky watched Andrew Webster’s press conference. Classy! Respect!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:30 pm
Botman wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:06 pm
You're Raiders-pilled

Go the Pahs
Be great
Why do you think I’d not say a word? I always speak out against that sort of behaviour and have regularly done so when Raiders players don’t show good sportsmanship.
Because you’ve not ev…
*ahem*

Ok.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:24 pm
Azza wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:08 pm Penny are going to win as many premierships in 3 years as we have won in 30 odd. #Bleedgreen.
And they ain’t done yet
Don't really like them at all, but it just shows what an amateur show we've become. YAY Rocky!
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:31 pm I've got no trouble choosing who to cheer for. It's not even close. **** the Broncos. Now and forever.
.. and ever!
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Ricky should also be best served to watch Andrew Webster's press conference. The forward pass didn't lose the Warriors the game, they allowed the line break and the try came off that. Webster said they needed to take the referees out of the game.

How refreshing it is to listen to coaches that don't blame the refs for their problems. Bellamy the day before also said he wasn't satisfied with the season and they need to get better.

Ricky should also watch the Warriors matches to learn about coaching - how to coach an attack.

The board, Furner and fans have been blinded by the arrogance and excuses of this man too long.
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by PNGRaider37 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 23, 2023, 11:18 pm Ricky should also be best served to watch Andrew Webster's press conference. The forward pass didn't lose the Warriors the game, they allowed the line break and the try came off that. Webster said they needed to take the referees out of the game.

How refreshing it is to listen to coaches that don't blame the refs for their problems. Bellamy the day before also said he wasn't satisfied with the season and they need to get better.

Ricky should also watch the Warriors matches to learn about coaching - how to coach an attack.

The board, Furner and fans have been blinded by the arrogance and excuses of this man too long.
Wasn't always like this (?)🤷🏾‍♂️

I remember Rick being very classy and calm once in a big game that had a big refereeing decision...

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

The GF in 2019 was an outlier. He's always been like that. Here's a selection, dating back to when he was the coach of Parra:

We fans and muppets can also learn a lot about leadership from this video as well:

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 23, 2023, 10:31 pm I've got no trouble choosing who to cheer for. It's not even close. **** the Broncos. Now and forever.
Yeah, I'm all in on the Panthers too, **** the Broncos now and forever, there's not a team I'd support the Broncos against.

And when the Panthers get up by 30 I hope to see yours and Albi's annual Broncos dance, old friend.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Yeah, I'm all in on the Panthers too, **** the Broncos now and forever, there's not a team I'd support the Broncos against.

And when the Panthers get up by 30 I hope to see yours and Albi's annual Broncos dance, old friend.
I'll be on the tables. Honestly, I'd like to thank the Broncos for giving me the opportunity to watch their dreams crushed twice in recent memory.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Got to say im only going to watch this game for the luai/walsh interaction, it will be interesting after SOO game 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Match officials will be in a quandary for the GF. Won't know who to favour.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

While the Bronco's were the better side, I would not expect to see these three in the Grand Final.
Gerard Sutton, Phil Henderson or Drew Oultram. For all of them to miss the clear forward pass from Walsh is a head shaker. I wouldn't want something so obvious to decide a Grand Final.

I expect the Panthers to win. Given the footy they have played a 3-peat would be a fitting finale for this years minor premiers.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gerard Sutton should never have been controlling a Preliminary Final. Looks like both Klein and Sutton have now ruled themselves out of the Grand Final, due to egregious errors.

A Daily Telegraph report suggests that's good news for the Panthers, as their record in the last three years under Adam Gee is 91.4 per cent (16 wins from 17 games), compared to Sutton who they have their worst record under (noting they have a good win rate under any referee). Meanwhile, the Broncos have a 62 per cent win rate under Sutton and a 31 per cent win rate under Gee.

Brisbane Broncos poor record under Adam Gee now a potential grand final problem: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d2b00a856c
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Knights go through to the NRLW Grand Final. Can’t say I wanted the Knights to win… but it’s better than two Broncos teams there on Grand Final day.

Knights kept letting the Broncos back in, but they win 30-24.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gold Coast Titans progress to the Grand Final.

They win 12-0 against the Sydney Roosters.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: September 24, 2023, 2:55 pm Gerard Sutton should never have been controlling a Preliminary Final. Looks like both Klein and Sutton have now ruled themselves out of the Grand Final, due to egregious errors.

A Daily Telegraph report suggests that's good news for the Panthers, as their record in the last three years under Adam Gee is 91.4 per cent (16 wins from 17 games), compared to Sutton who they have their worst record under (noting they have a good win rate under any referee). Meanwhile, the Broncos have a 62 per cent win rate under Sutton and a 31 per cent win rate under Gee.

Brisbane Broncos poor record under Adam Gee now a potential grand final problem: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... d2b00a856c
Wouldn't it be great to see the NRL create a bit of history and appoint Casey Badger to the mens Grand Final. I think she would do a terrific job. All she needs is opportunity. If the bloke Refs get their noses out of joint, then point to their performances and tell them to lift their game next year.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Its strange, all i see on social media is fans bagging Casey Badger. I think she's been a pretty good ref.
Good enough to sag the NRL GF? I dont know but if she was named i wouldnt bat an eye.

Is this a blind spot for me and she's terrible or is it just men all up in their feelings about a women being involved in the game, which is what i put it down to.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Botman wrote:Its strange, all i see on social media is fans bagging Casey Badger. I think she's been a pretty good ref.
Good enough to sag the NRL GF? I dont know but if she was named i wouldnt bat an eye.

Is this a blind spot for me and she's terrible or is it just men all up in their feelings about a women being involved in the game, which is what i put it down to.
I think she has been pretty poor from the games I have watched. In saying that there has been a few where she has had the role in the bunker and has done well.

I don’t think there is such thing as a good ref. I think the aim is to be less terrible than the others.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Rick wrote: September 26, 2023, 12:03 pm
Botman wrote:Its strange, all i see on social media is fans bagging Casey Badger. I think she's been a pretty good ref.

I think she has been pretty poor from the games I have watched. In saying that there has been a few where she has had the role in the bunker and has done well.

I don’t think there is such thing as a good ref. I think the aim is to be less terrible than the others.
:lol: indeed
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It's interesting that since the return to 1 ref there's been more stinkers

Wasn't that the whole reason for 2 refs in the first place?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Rick wrote: September 26, 2023, 12:03 pm

Poor in what way Rick? I don't recall her being intimidated by a crowd shouting 'get 'em onside Ref' or players trying to physically intimidate her. I don't recall her missing as blatant a forward pass as happened on the weekend for the Bronco's either. Anyway, it's all academic now, Adam Gee to Ref the Grand Final.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I definitely recall seeing a couple of quite bad decisions from her and thinking “oh the incels will love that one”.

But I also remember seeing some really good calls from her (particularly in the bunker)

Probably much of a muchness with the other refs?