Canberra Raiders star Jamal Fogarty set to test open market

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Half Jamal Fogarty, 29, is off-contract next season and while the Raiders are keen to extend Fogarty for a further 12 months in 2025, it is understood the Canberra No.7 is keen to test his value as a free agent before making a final call.

“There’s no issue with Canberra. He rates Ricky as a coach. He is settled and enjoying his time at the Raiders, so if they tabled the right deal, he will certainly consider it, but we’ll explore all our options and see where it lands,” manager Tas Bartlett said.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 12d770d501
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders star Jamal Fogarty set to test open market

Post by Botman »

The club is right to be looking at a 12 month extension only imo
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Agree, he's solid, been our best spine player this year but I reckon you need to upgrade Fogarty to win be a really top tier side.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: August 26, 2023, 10:09 am Agree, he's solid, been our best spine player this year but I reckon you need to upgrade Fogarty to win be a really top tier side.
And we’ve already signed his successor. So we really only need fog for as long as it takes for the colonel to be ready
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I agree 12 months is the best option. He’s been very good at his best this year, but he’s not been consistent. With Ethan Sanders on the horizon, it’s best to plan for transition at some stage.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Yep, 12 months makes sense and would be a nice change from the trend of two+ year deals for everyone. If he decides to walk and Sanders isn't ready I am sure they can pick up a decent fill in that's close to his level.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

12 months would suit us, but not ideal at all for him at age 29.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Two years is probably fine for him as well at the right money. I would assume Sanders is going to be on low dollars if he does end up starting halfback so you could have a slightly over priced back up in Fogarty for a year. I mean it makes more sense than signing Levi for two more.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote: August 26, 2023, 10:16 am 12 months would suit us, but not ideal at all for him at age 29.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Yep and I think as a club we need to

A. Acknowledge and accept that whilst 12 months is best for us, as you say, at his age it might not suit him and he might walk to seek greater levels of job/financial security

B. Be ok with that and not panic and give him extra years to keep him in the building. Set our offer down, that suits us and if he takes it great, and if it doesn’t work him… we have to stay firm and say “thanks for your time and efforts and best of luck to you in the future”
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Two years is the easy option for the club, so it's good to see them not going that path. Nobody would question it, but then you think about what the point would be to having a journeyman half in a young squad in 2026 earning $500,000? Differrent story if he was earning around the $300,000 mark, but he's re-signing as a starting half so no way he'd come at that price.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

2 years, get it done.
Find new homes for Cotric and Whitewashed..
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The trend for every other signing has been the Raiders to needlessly bump and or extend players with worse performance than Fog. I'd prefer we hold the line but don't expect us to.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

makes sense with Sanders coming, I'd really like to see Fog test himself at 9 I think he could extend his career as a quality 14

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Im surprised by this 12 month talk. I think Fog us a decent half back. Sezer got us to a gf, so can Fog.

Also, I didn't think we are that sorta club. Noone here is stupid, at Fog's age a 1 year extension isn't ideal. Where to from there? We play players every week that would barely make the Bulldogs starting squad.

Having said all that, I dont have all the details and plans. Do we have someone else coming in at 7?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: August 26, 2023, 10:06 am The club is right to be looking at a 12 month extension only imo
Yep. We've got Strange and Sanders coming thru, and will make a bid for Mam.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

I think the Dogs will be interested in him, and maybe the Tigers.

How long is Townsend at NQ?
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

We cant block the path of Sanders. This is the right move for the club and backs up the direction of the club is focusing on
denissnowy
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by denissnowy »

Really depends on whether we get Sanders for 2024. If so, then yes a 1 year extension is all we should be offering.

If the eels hold onto him, then I can see value in extending him for 2 years. Makes Sanders fight for the position, allows Sanders to learn from Fog and provides coverage for the inevitable rollercoaster of form from Sanders as he learns his trade.
NoMan
Brett Mullins

Post by NoMan »

Surely Sanders gets released for 24 if he signs formally in November. It would be bizarre for the Eels to keep him around.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

For 2025 we have Strange locked in and presumably Sanders coming. I don't see how we'd be able to keep all of Sanders, Strange, Fog and Mam in 2025. Would think 1 of Fog and Mam (or equivalent new signing) won't be there in 2025

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
PNGRaider37
Peter Jackson

Post by PNGRaider37 »

1 year to help Sanders and Strange along in the halves. Makes sense.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Raiders is the right home for Fog. We are not a half back centric team so he gets away with a lot of deficiencies that other clubs won't tolerate, like lack of running and passing game. He suits Canberra and fits into our system cos we just need decent kicking, defence and game management, which he does to a reasonable degree.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Him testing the market would be the best thing for all involved because we’d probably be able to extend him for half of what he’s on now.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

denissnowy wrote: August 26, 2023, 12:05 pm Really depends on whether we get Sanders for 2024. If so, then yes a 1 year extension is all we should be offering.

If the eels hold onto him, then I can see value in extending him for 2 years. Makes Sanders fight for the position, allows Sanders to learn from Fog and provides coverage for the inevitable rollercoaster of form from Sanders as he learns his trade.
I agree denissnowy there is no saying that Sanders will be an instant hit in FG. All of the signs are good, but you never know and the physicality of FG is another thing he will have to adapt to. I reckon the Club will have to make a decision on Frawls or Fog at some point over the next 2 years. Should a player be injured or lose form then an experienced halves player is great for the squad. There are some other fine halves also coming through in Junior Reps. I would offer Fog a two year deal. He is a level head in the squad and that is a good thing for a Club losing a lot of experience over the next couple of years.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

julian87 wrote: August 26, 2023, 1:01 pm Him testing the market would be the best thing for all involved because we’d probably be able to extend him for half of what he’s on now.
Your death riding of the bloke is well and truly noted.

With Croker Whitehead Wighton all moving on there’s a vacuum of experience and leadership in 24 and beyond.Considering how much importance Stick places in those attributes I’d say he’ll get two years at the same if not more coin than he’s on now.
And be made captain in 24.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

RedRaider wrote: August 26, 2023, 1:14 pm
denissnowy wrote: August 26, 2023, 12:05 pm Really depends on whether we get Sanders for 2024. If so, then yes a 1 year extension is all we should be offering.

I agree denissnowy there is no saying that Sanders will be an instant hit in FG. All of the signs are good, but you never know and the physicality of FG is another thing he will have to adapt to. I reckon the Club will have to make a decision on Frawls or Fog at some point over the next 2 years. Should a player be injured or lose form then an experienced halves player is great for the squad. There are some other fine halves also coming through in Junior Reps. I would offer Fog a two year deal. He is a level head in the squad and that is a good thing for a Club losing a lot of experience over the next couple of years.
Keep Fogarty as a reserve grade half in 26 for $500k for a role typically done at more like the $250k level and you can't complain when we lose a talented junior over a $200k.

Can't keep em all.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at the dolphins

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

He would do well at the dolphins.

Have no drama if Fog got good money anywhere and left. I think he has been an astute buy from us and played relatively well. His kicking is superb, but if he develops a killer last play option and ups his try assists (not from his boot), he would be an elite halfback in the game.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

NoMan wrote: August 26, 2023, 12:16 pm Surely Sanders gets released for 24 if he signs formally in November. It would be bizarre for the Eels to keep him around.
I agree
Sanders would not be their primary half or even their back up next year, he’d be at best 4th choice
So there is no need for them, he’s lost to their system and investing more time into that player doesn’t make sense
Add In motivation for our club and the player to get here asap, and I just can’t fathom how he’s not here in 2024 unless the eels want to dig their heels in and get vindictive

Which would hurt them more than the kid in terms of their relationships with other talented kids

may need to do some minor player swap (HSS may be?) to get the deal done but my bet is he’s here in 2024
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

PNGRaider37 wrote: August 26, 2023, 12:50 pm 1 year to help Sanders and Strange along in the halves. Makes sense.
Exactly what the club thinks

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote: August 26, 2023, 3:23 pm Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at the dolphins

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
To replace Milford?

I'm not sure. I think he wants to capitalise on the halves shortage and earn a big contract.

He is a decent half. Just not elite

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

2023 Raiders struggled in the halves. In 2024 Wighton is gone, Schneider is gone, Frawley looks gone and we are happy to let out best half Fog walk? We have a couple of kids coming through in a few years. If we sign Ezra man - sure let Fog walk but otherwise I suspect Fog is getting a good deal out of this.
Regs Revolution
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Regs Revolution »

He had a really good game last night. Much better than some of his recent performances. His defence was superb. His attack was pretty good. We play well when he’s in that form.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Completely agree Regs!

The number of times a Bronco was cut down only to see Fogarty at the feet was impressive
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 26, 2023, 1:54 pm
RedRaider wrote: August 26, 2023, 1:14 pm

Keep Fogarty as a reserve grade half in 26 for $500k for a role typically done at more like the $250k level and you can't complain when we lose a talented junior over a $200k.

Can't keep em all.
I would keep him for another 2 years RK. Neither Sanders nor Strange will be on this type of money to begin with. If Fog goes and Frawley also goes like Schneider, then we are a single halves injury away from needing a inexperienced NSW Cup level player in FG. Fog is not a rep level half but we knew that when he came here. But he is a level head and can help bring the youngsters through unless you believe Simi Sasagi in the answer. I would keep the experienced Fogarty.