Canberra Raiders team for 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders team for 2024

Post by greeneyed »

Best NRL prospects at every club: Young stars earmarked to debut in 2024

Ricky Stuart kept fullback Xavier Savage on ice, but the coach is expected to fast track boom back Chevy Stewart into the NRL side with the Raiders having to rely on makeshift No.1 Seb Kris this season.

JAKE CLYDESDALE

Position: Prop

Clydesdale is front-row talent hailing from Scone in country NSW and was Canberra’s SG Ball Players Player in 2022. The younger brother of former hooker Adam Clydsdale, Jake is signed until the end of season 2025 and is one of the best young prop’s in the state.

CHEVY STEWART

Position: Fullback

Compared to Ryan Papenhuyzen, Stewart has kept Xavier Savage out of the fullback jumper in NSW Cup. A livewire No.1 that can bust a tackle, Stewart is now the top fullback prospect at the club. Joins the top-30 in 2024 and signed until the end of 2026.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 87ba152342
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders team for 2024

Post by bonehead »

I can see Chevy being there sometime in 24, maybe Stick just bites the bullet an sends it with Chevy and Strange from the start but I doubt it

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Sticky has only just said we are going in a different direction next season. We may see a few youngins play FG with the aim of 25/26 being the years we push for finals footy with them.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: August 25, 2023, 5:39 am I can see Chevy being there sometime in 24, maybe Stick just bites the bullet an sends it with Chevy and Strange from the start but I doubt it

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
I keep creeping my Chevy timeline up, i started somewhere in 2025, to now being back end of 2024... but it is one of those situations where a strong pre-season and if Stuart's going in on Strange from the jump at 5/8th, he might be in for a penny, in for a pound and just chuck him in if he thinks he's physically ready
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I doubt we will see Clydesdale in FG next year. The physical demands on a front rower require more muscle than a back. Maybe 2025 for him.

I am a Xav fan and think he should be fullback now, just as he was for 19 games last year. It is astounding that a young and constantly improving player in 2022 is not being picked in 2023. I would have Xav well ahead of Chevy at this point if for no other reason than his FG experience and physique. He is an attacking threat we need, has great hands and a fine passing game. His defence improved markedly last season as he overcame the shoulder injury and built up.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

The complete lack of even a mediocre talent signing at fullback or five-eigth makes me believe we're going with Stewart and Strange.

I could see a backline of:

1-Stewart
2-Savage
3-Kris
4-Timoko
5-Rapana
6-Strange
7-Fogarty

for next year. If this is a means to an end, get them in, blood them, aim for success 2025-27, then I am ok with next year being the year they find their feet.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Timbo wrote: August 25, 2023, 11:42 am The complete lack of even a mediocre talent signing at fullback or five-eigth makes me believe we're going with Stewart and Strange.

1-Stewart
2-Savage
3-Kris
4-Timoko
5-Rapana
6-Strange
7-Fogarty

for next year. If this is a means to an end, get them in, blood them, aim for success 2025-27, then I am ok with next year being the year they find their feet.
I actually hope this is the backline we see next year as it has potential to really develop into a great unit by srasons end. I'd go further and say I'd want Cotric in the 17 too with our bench being him (or one of the other two wingers, based on form) with 2 middles and a hooker.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

I think there are three definite NRL talents in the NSW Cup side where you plan around them regardless of who else is available and they are Stewart, Strange and Savage. All of them have some specific trait that is already at an elite level and no glaring weakness that can't be fixed or mitigated.

I wouldn't have had Savage on the list 6 months ago but for me has to be picked on the wing if you pick the other two because his speed unlocks a huge amount of their ability. He has 11 tries in 10 games in NSW cup and most of them would be due to his finishing a chance the former two create. I think Asomua is also very close to a sure thing if he can manage to defend kicks a bit more consistently.

Mooney and Mariota are also musts to be permanently in the middle rotation and playing long minutes so their development can continue but I wouldn't say either are definite long term NRL players yet. Clydesdale I don't think gets near regular first grade for a three of four seasons. He is good but it's long timelines for middles.

Puru, Morkos and Trev are in the maybe pile for mine for various reasons but could turn into solid NRL players.

I don't see many late bloomers in the rest of the team, maybe Hola who is a low key good player and probably should've gone elsewhere. Webb is also a smokey if they keep him around and has improved over the course of the year.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

We're definitely heading in a new direction by going after youth
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

More than happy to sacrifice a spot in the 8 next year for a team of kids that's enjoyable to watch

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote: August 25, 2023, 1:33 pm More than happy to sacrifice a spot in the 8 next year for a team of kids that's enjoyable to watch

Yep. Big picture.

Savage, Strange, Sanders, Trevilyn, maybe Mam....exciting stuff
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Timbo wrote: August 25, 2023, 11:42 am The complete lack of even a mediocre talent signing at fullback or five-eigth makes me believe we're going with Stewart and Strange.

1-Stewart
2-Savage
3-Kris
4-Timoko
5-Rapana
6-Strange
7-Fogarty

As long as we don’t see a repeat of the way Savage has been managed. Thrown in on the light side. Did well learning some hard lessons along the way, bulked up, looked ready - then banished…..
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

1. Stewart*
2. Savage/Asomua*
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapana(Savage/Asomua when out as he'll inevitably be)
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Woolford (i guess)
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. New recruit
13. Hors

14. Puru
15. CHN/2nd New Recruit
16. Mariota
17. Mooney

A team that looked like that at some point next year, i think would:

a) Be exciting to watch and at least allow me to see some light at the end of the tunnel
ii. Dont think they'd make the 8 but i do think they'd win more games and be more competitive than some would have you believe

- It would not bother me if we did miss the 8 and the there was genuine development and growth in key figures. Drop the Colonel in there come 2025 and we might have something.

* entirely dependant on if the club feels they are physically ready
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

It’s amazing how far that Cotric has fallen that most people now pencil him in as a bench utility at best.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Next year is shaping up to be very interesting, I'm looking forward to it more than the upcoming finals series.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I think Sasagi will be given first crack at 6 if he has a decent preseason. I just don't see Stick going the rookie half route until we're in a rut.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

We're in a very strong position moving forward. Our NSW Cup side needs to be applauded for their exploits this season. I think we're likely to see Justin Giteau become more prominent in the NRL coaching ranks next year as well.

I'd imagine Chevy or Savage starts the season in the 1 jersey. Not sure about 6 but I think Strange will be in the 17 regularly somewhere at some stage in 2024. Hopefully we can get Sanders for 24 as well. He too should play NRL at some point in 24.

Still searching for a big fish for 24 but our forward pack is quite seasoned and you would imagine they may be enough to keep us competitive whilst massaging a few young blokes in the NRL. We do need an upgrade in top end personnel moving into 24 so it will be interesting to see who we can get. I think the club is being quite astute in this area and not just throwing money away like some clubs.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

1. Savage
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Frawley/Sasagi/Some signing
7. Fogarty

I think similar to Roger in that Strange is not going to start the year at 6 and we'll see rotation throughout the year with Strange coming in.
Stewart to spend most of another year in Cup.
Asomua to get a debut due to injury.
The Ang
Peter Jackson

Post by The Ang »

Botman wrote: August 25, 2023, 1:49 pm 1. Stewart*
2. Savage/Asomua*
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapana(Savage/Asomua when out as he'll inevitably be)
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Woolford (i guess)
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. New recruit
13. Hors

14. Puru
15. CHN/2nd New Recruit
16. Mariota
17. Mooney

A team that looked like that at some point next year, i think would:

a) Be exciting to watch and at least allow me to see some light at the end of the tunnel
ii. Dont think they'd make the 8 but i do think they'd win more games and be more competitive than some would have you believe

- It would not bother me if we did miss the 8 and the there was genuine development and growth in key figures. Drop the Colonel in there come 2025 and we might have something.

* entirely dependant on if the club feels they are physically ready
Love this team; however Rocky does not! Missing too many “bleed greener’s”

Realistically I don’t see us going above 12th next year.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Unless Cotric can maintain last week’s form, I’d still be curious if he can play 2nd row.

His lack of involvement is a concern though.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: August 26, 2023, 7:35 am Unless Cotric can maintain last week’s form, I’d still be curious if he can play 2nd row.

His lack of involvement is a concern though.
I can see why people would consider it- sie, strength, athletic and can actually tackle. The sticking point of course is that you need a huge engine to play backrow. They spend a lot of time tackling other big men, covering in and out etc. Expected to make 30+ tackles a game is a huge shift. I think he's a good enough footballer to figure out the more complex defensive decisions- his footy smarts are a bit under rated imo, he makes an awful lot of good reads and decisions with the ball.

The hard part is it would basically be the admission/crossing the rubicon of his career as a winger being over. That might be a hard sell to a guy who's made 500k a year for the last 5 years by being a winger. And if the transition doesn't stick then it's curtains to all that within 12 months and where is he left? His management might suggest he can probably reliably get at least another few years as a winger at 3-400k somewhere.

If we have no backrowers, I wonder should we take the youth option there like our other recruits and try Raps there for his final year. He's a big enough maniac to pull it off, there's no skill in the game beyond him really and he loves the hard work and contact.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So we're skipping straight past Savage and Mooney? Is that what is being implied here? Highlighting that our focus now is as a development club - which I don't mind as a strategy - but what about those two young players mentioned. They're not even being given a go now. Savage is the best fullback, currently at the club. Instead of using him we've converted a bullocking centre into a fullback. What happens in two years time when Stuart sees something in Strange, Sanders or Stewart that he doesn't like - does he again refuse to play them and says 'hey look at this 14 year old coming through, there's our future'?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I don’t know about anyone else
But mooney is in my 2024 team and imo should be an every week player in the 17 from about 3 months ago maybe earlier

As for savage, I’ve seen this coach do nothing but pass him over time and time again, and bus him early in his career for a understandable error, and until I see evidence to the contrary my feeling is he’s not a Stuart player and his future lies elsewhere
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Not a Stuart player? Is that he doesn't buy his bull **** nor his happy clapping mentality?

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

That space cadet Young is under the gurus spell, some of the **** that spues out of his mouth is outstanding.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Gotta say I'm more excited by our 2024 team than any finals games this season. I know next year will have its lean moments but am some of the potential personnel at least provides some hope.

If only we had a coach who'd fill me with that same hope.

1. Stewart
2. Rapana
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Savage
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Horsburgh
9. Woolford
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. CHN (????)
13. Puru

14. Trevilyan
15. Mooney
16. Papalii
17. Mariota

If that's a team I see run out Round 1 (Rd 5 after suspensions are served) I'll be keen to get aboard.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im still very hopeful we'll get Colonel Sanders for 2024 too and he could come into contention pretty quickly

Given our troubles at hooker.... im not saying it would work and tbh im not even sure im ready to take this idea out of the oven yet, or to be frank, if it's even worth taking out :lol:... i need to think more about it... but i have thought about whether Fogarty could handle hooker and be that experienced hand that can take control of the team at hooker and distribute effectively for a couple of young halves in a transition year.

If we got Sanders for 2024, id be really keen to just get in Strange at right half and Sanders at left ASAP and let the kids figure it out. But i do accept that's a lot to put on the kids and trying to keep Fog in the team for his control and leadership would be a real benefit.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: September 5, 2023, 8:22 pm Im still very hopeful we'll get Colonel Sanders for 2024 too and he could come into contention pretty quickly

Given our troubles at hooker.... im not saying it would work and tbh im not even sure im ready to take this idea out of the oven yet, or to be frank, if it's even worth taking out :lol:... i need to think more about it... but i have thought about whether Fogarty could handle hooker and be that experienced hand that can take control of the team at hooker and distribute effectively for a couple of young halves in a transition year.

If we got Sanders for 2024, id be really keen to just get in Strange at right half and Sanders at left ASAP and let the kids figure it out. But i do accept that's a lot to put on the kids and trying to keep Fog in the team for his control and leadership would be a real benefit.
I think if anyone is going to be an out of the box 9 it will be Puru. He's our 14 next year for mine. Covers backrow and hooker.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: September 5, 2023, 8:29 pm
Botman wrote: September 5, 2023, 8:22 pm Im still very hopeful we'll get Colonel Sanders for 2024 too and he could come into contention pretty quickly

I think if anyone is going to be an out of the box 9 it will be Puru. He's our 14 next year for mine. Covers backrow and hooker.
He's certainly had some strong moments at #9 in NSW Cup but i think he's got the chance to be a foundational piece for today's game at #13.
I'd like to get Hors back into prop rotation and let Puru cook at lock. But i dont disagree he's got a lot of #9 potential too.

I just watch him (unlike some *cough* Dubby *cough*) and see a footballer. He can play.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Kyle Flanagan? With Frawley going is Flanagan an option?
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

I don't know who'll start the season but provided we get Sanders for 2024 and we don't get any miracle new signing I'd like this to be our best 17 come late season.

1. Stewart
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Savage
6. Strange
7. Sanders
8. Horsburgh
9. Trevilyan
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Harawira-Naera (health pending)
13. Puru

14. Rapana
15. Mariota
16. Papalii
17. Mooney
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Trevilyan is on a development contract for next year, unless they decide to delist someone and "promote" him

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Wiki Special wrote: September 5, 2023, 8:45 pm I don't know who'll start the season but provided we get Sanders for 2024 and we don't get any miracle new signing I'd like this to be our best 17 come late season.

1. Stewart
2. Cotric
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Savage
6. Strange
7. Sanders
8. Horsburgh
9. Trevilyan
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. Harawira-Naera (health pending)
13. Puru

14. Rapana
15. Mariota
16. Papalii
17. Mooney
I like it Wiki. Honestly, it could crash and burn terribly and finish bottom 4 but it might also take flight and give us a real shot at success. Tweaking around the edges of the current squad won’t move the dial - I like the big thinking!
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Raider47 wrote: September 5, 2023, 8:10 pm Gotta say I'm more excited by our 2024 team than any finals games this season. I know next year will have its lean moments but am some of the potential personnel at least provides some hope.

1. Stewart
2. Rapana
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Savage
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Horsburgh
9. Woolford
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. CHN (????)
13. Puru

14. Trevilyan
15. Mooney
16. Papalii
17. Mariota

If that's a team I see run out Round 1 (Rd 5 after suspensions are served) I'll be keen to get aboard.
This is the team i'd go with. Unfortunately, we all know that whitehead will still be in the squad at the expensive of either CHN or Mariota/Mooney.
The Ang
Peter Jackson

Post by The Ang »

Raider47 wrote: September 5, 2023, 8:10 pm Gotta say I'm more excited by our 2024 team than any finals games this season. I know next year will have its lean moments but am some of the potential personnel at least provides some hope.

1. Stewart
2. Rapana
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Savage
6. Strange
7. Fogarty
8. Horsburgh
9. Woolford
10. Tapine
11. Young
12. CHN (????)
13. Puru

14. Trevilyan
15. Mooney
16. Papalii
17. Mariota

This excites me!
I want to see a lot less of Guler, Saulo and Starling next year