Canberra Raiders sign young Newcastle prop Caleb Garvie

All the news on the Canberra Raiders lower grades, affiliate clubs and the Canberra Raiders Cup

Moderator: GH Moderators

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Canberra Raiders sign young Newcastle prop Caleb Garvie

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

The Mole is reporting we have signed a Knights youngster. 18-year-old played in the Knights SG Ball team. Starting a development contract. Three year deal.

Canberra Raiders sign Newcastle Knights youngster Caleb Garvie

The Raiders have signed Cessnock Goannas front rower Caleb Garvie. The 18-year-old played in the Knights' SG Ball team this season, which made the Grand Final. He will move to Canberra in October on a three year deal and is expected to start on a development contract before working his way into the Raiders' top 30.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2023- ... 478e2f48b7

Boom Cessnock front rower Caleb Garvie signs three-year deal with Canberra: https://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/stor ... h-raiders/

VIDEO: Young forward Caleb Garvie excited to join Raiders: https://www.nbnnews.com.au/2023/08/08/n ... k-forward/
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2023

Post by bonehead »

Local to me, Caleb Garvie. I have put the question out to a few mutual mates

https://www.cessnockadvertiser.com.au/s ... DV5C8excwM
Edrick The Entertainer
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders sign Young prop Caleb Garvie from the Hunter

Post by GreenMachine »

Awesome news....we need more props to complete the 1 - 13 props starting side project...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We run five men’s teams, three at senior level. You need 15-18 middles every week for the three top teams. How being a development club works. Looks like a good prospect who’ll fit in at the club well.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

We love grabbing Knights players/juniors don't we. Tapine, Starling, Young, Levi, Saulo, Sausagi, Garvie
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

You have to question our recruitment strategy… knights juniors/rejects and middle forwards seems to be the pre-requisite.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Finchy wrote: August 16, 2023, 9:54 am We love grabbing Knights players/juniors don't we. Tapine, Starling, Young, Levi, Saulo, Sausagi, Garvie
Probably think they are less likely to run off to Sydney and Brisbane at first chance they get.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

UncleDrew wrote:You have to question our recruitment strategy… knights juniors/rejects and middle forwards seems to be the pre-requisite.
the Knights have an outstanding junior base, unfortunately at the top level their management of junior talent leaves a lot to be desired.
Consider these names who should all have been Knights, Latrell, Cordner, Inglis, Willie Mason, Tapine, Z Woolford, Hudson Young, Greg Bird, edit- Payne Hass and TPJ. Max Bradbury the latest kid to be shown the door for a short term deal for Lachlan Miller.
The list goes on in a similar vein to the Raiders.

Last edited by bonehead on August 16, 2023, 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Doesn’t the kid own a TV?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Canberra Raiders sign Young prop Caleb Garvie from the Hunter

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

UncleDrew wrote:You have to question our recruitment strategy… knights juniors/rejects and middle forwards seems to be the pre-requisite.
Titans also with Sezer, James, Fogarty and almost Fifita
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It always astounds me when fans are critical of signings when they’re 18 year old kids

Sounds like this bloke has a bit of talent and ability, always good to add talent to the club at lower levels
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:It always astounds me when fans are critical of signings when they’re 18 year old kids

Sounds like this bloke has a bit of talent and ability, always good to add talent to the club at lower levels
By all reports he's the best prop in the Newcastle comp at only 18yo, not a bad wrap.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: August 16, 2023, 6:27 pm
Botman wrote:It always astounds me when fans are critical of signings when they’re 18 year old kids

By all reports he's the best prop in the Newcastle comp at only 18yo, not a bad wrap.

And was the leading prop for the Knights in an SG Ball team that made the Grand Final. Looks like a very good signing.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Garvie and Clydesdale the up and coming props at SG Ball level. Welcome aboard Caleb.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: August 16, 2023, 6:24 pm It always astounds me when fans are critical of signings when they’re 18 year old kids

It is not a bad thing in of itself, however you can be critical when it is literally the only type of player we are signing.

We actually have to sign first grade players at some stage.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Colk wrote: August 16, 2023, 7:51 pm
Botman wrote: August 16, 2023, 6:24 pm It always astounds me when fans are critical of signings when they’re 18 year old kids

It is not a bad thing in of itself, however you can be critical when it is literally the only type of player we are signing.

What ever the FG players are or are not pursued are not impacted by this at all. Just a kid that'll go in the system and we'll see in a few years. But we know this club struggles to attract established FG players. Stacking the juniors with talented kids so we can draw on them to help supliment the squad is paramount for a club like ours.
Colk
Brett Mullins

Post by Colk »

Botman wrote: August 16, 2023, 8:05 pm
Colk wrote: August 16, 2023, 7:51 pm

What ever the FG players are or are not pursued are not impacted by this at all. Just a kid that'll go in the system and we'll see in a few years. But we know this club struggles to attract established FG players. Stacking the juniors with talented kids so we can draw on them to help supliment the squad is paramount for a club like ours.
I’m not saying it isn’t paramount but you can stack as many highly touted juniors as you want but if they walk into a very poor side then they aren’t going to turn it around.

You need a competitive side for them to walk into.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

or like penrith you need a group to come through together with a group behind them

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Finchy wrote: August 16, 2023, 9:54 am We love grabbing Knights players/juniors don't we. Tapine, Starling, Young, Levi, Saulo, Sausagi, Garvie
Good, plodder, good, plodder, plodder, wtfitc, wtfitc.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

RedRaider wrote: August 16, 2023, 7:37 pm Garvie and Clydesdale the up and coming props at SG Ball level. Welcome aboard Caleb.
Clydesdale looked great in nsw cup last week 150+ meters
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Neeeegz wrote: August 17, 2023, 9:02 am
RedRaider wrote: August 16, 2023, 7:37 pm Garvie and Clydesdale the up and coming props at SG Ball level. Welcome aboard Caleb.
I didn’t see the game last week but Clydesdale looks a massive prospect to me.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bay53 wrote: August 18, 2023, 9:58 pm
Neeeegz wrote: August 17, 2023, 9:02 am
I didn’t see the game last week but Clydesdale looks a massive prospect to me.
I was a bit disappointed by his U19's SOO performance, thought the QLD middles won that battle over all... but you could see the talent. Maybe an off game, game flow wasnt great for his stints, maybe those QLD middles are spectacular... idk but his NSW cup performance last week was very good imo
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders sign young Newcastle prop Caleb Garvie

Post by zim »

It's both, and it's happening because he's a kid, and a prop.
Quintessential guy you can throw dice at because he should be better over the next 2 years but if it doesn't work out you made the right call in moving him on.
Straight up prop is not an easy call to make from either side.