Eels half Ethan Sanders agrees to terms with Raiders for three year deal from 2025

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Parramatta Eels still hoping to hold onto Raiders target Ethan Sanders

Post by Botman »

I think by now people should know if im going to take a shot at someone individually on this site, ill just name them :lol:
I genuinely don't remember who the posters were but in that link Finchy posted im telling Zim to ignore those idiots so the discourse im referencing predates those posts from Finchy
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: February 21, 2024, 12:16 pm I think by now people should know if im going to take a shot at someone individually on this site, ill just name them :lol:
I genuinely don't remember who the posters were but in that link Finchy posted im telling Zim to ignore those idiots so the discourse im referencing predates those posts from Finchy
Did Zim take your advice and ignore the idiots?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I've replied to nickman this morning :hmmm
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

zim wrote: February 21, 2024, 12:38 pm I've replied to nickman this morning :hmmm
I think we can make exceptions for special cases.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Look, I did preface it by saying if Bot wasn’t referring to me then play on. I didn’t recall anyone else on here critiquing Stewart’s defensive efforts or capabilities and remember copping heat from some when I did, so “the shoe fit”. But now it’s just big old fair go it all.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Finchy wrote: February 21, 2024, 2:01 pm Look, I did preface it by saying if Bot wasn’t referring to me then play on. I didn’t recall anyone else on here critiquing Stewart’s defensive efforts or capabilities and remember copping heat from some when I did, so “the shoe fit”. But now it’s just big old fair go it all.
Dig up, stupid!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: February 21, 2024, 2:01 pm Look, I did preface it by saying if Bot wasn’t referring to me then play on. I didn’t recall anyone else on here critiquing Stewart’s defensive efforts or capabilities and remember copping heat from some when I did, so “the shoe fit”. But now it’s just big old fair go it all.
:nooo
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Don't take on the EDIT, mate. They're gaslight extraordinaires
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

greeneyed wrote:I go on Facebook and see people say… I saw Sanders in the trial, there’s better options in the club at halfback now etc etc. This drives me to distraction! People watch ONE game and make their mind up about a junior player. At least take the time to watch more than ONE game before pontificating. I mean, I’m a pontificator, but I do try and withhold judgment until I’ve seen at least a few games!
I heard this at the game on the weekend, by Raiders fans, saying Parra can keep him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

He had a pretty ordinary trial, that's for sure.

Still, not quite as ordinary as this thread.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Post by Raidernation »

Brew wrote: February 21, 2024, 6:00 pm
greeneyed wrote:I go on Facebook and see people say… I saw Sanders in the trial, there’s better options in the club at halfback now etc etc. This drives me to distraction! People watch ONE game and make their mind up about a junior player. At least take the time to watch more than ONE game before pontificating. I mean, I’m a pontificator, but I do try and withhold judgment until I’ve seen at least a few games!
I heard this at the game on the weekend, by Raiders fans, saying Parra can keep him.

Trials are difficult to judge players if they can't do it off their own bat because u have different combinations with players trying to win spots by showing out. It doesn't really allow playmakers to show everything they have. I would say the same about weekes and strange also.
But what you can say is sanders did have a poor game. He hasn't even played NSW cup yet also. He is likely 1 to 2 years away from playing firsts with any regularity.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

He didn't have a great trial but he is absolutely worth a shout. He'll really thrive after a year in NSW Cup. I will be disappointed if we miss out on him.
Floydd
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Floydd »

Botman wrote: February 20, 2024, 6:56 pm Well that's the kicker, i think there might be a delay even after round 6. Because once the contract is signed and ready to lodged, before it's lodged the two clubs might be more invested in trying to figure out a swap that works and that could take some weeks too... so that the deal can be announced in conjunction with the immediate swap.
that's pure speculation but im not expecting a Monday April 15th announcement on this. Silly bold prediction based on nothing but guess work... he's being named by the Raiders for NSW Cup May 7th or before.
But i freely concede im perhaps on the extreme scale of optimism on this one. :lol:
I think player swaps have already been discussed, I think the swap deal may involve one of our hookers. We do seem to be stock piling them.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Parra have enough already and none of ours are really an upgrade on what they have.
If a player is to be swapped, I recon it'll be Mooney , Parra junior.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I doubt Mooney would want to go there.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Floydd wrote:
Botman wrote: February 20, 2024, 6:56 pm Well that's the kicker, i think there might be a delay even after round 6. Because once the contract is signed and ready to lodged, before it's lodged the two clubs might be more invested in trying to figure out a swap that works and that could take some weeks too... so that the deal can be announced in conjunction with the immediate swap.
that's pure speculation but im not expecting a Monday April 15th announcement on this. Silly bold prediction based on nothing but guess work... he's being named by the Raiders for NSW Cup May 7th or before.
But i freely concede im perhaps on the extreme scale of optimism on this one. Image
I think player swaps have already been discussed, I think the swap deal may involve one of our hookers. We do seem to be stock piling them.
It's part of Sticks master planImage
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Parra have enough already and none of ours are really an upgrade on what they have.
We already have room in our cap and a top 30 spot available I'd we happen to sign someone (hence pursuing Leilua).

Why on earth would you conclude our club would swap one of our star juniors to sign a player that his current club can't retain?

Let's be clear here, Sanders is contracted to Parramatta this season and under the new NRL Collective Bargaining Agreement he can't sign with another club until Round 6 OR when he has played 5 first grade games.

He hasn't signed with Parramatta beyond 2024. Our club is prepared to wait until 2025 to get him. We already have a halfback on the books for this season and next. There is no reason to release outstanding players in an attempt to get Sanders this season.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on February 22, 2024, 5:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

The swap would be to get him here this year instead of next.

Still not worth Mooney. They are better off leaving Sanders to learn off Brown and Moses.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Floydd wrote: February 22, 2024, 4:27 am
But i freely concede im perhaps on the extreme scale of optimism on this one. :lol:
Hope you’re right! A hooker swap would be perfect given the imbalance in our squad
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Parramatta Eels still hoping to hold onto Raiders target Ethan Sanders

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
Floydd wrote: February 22, 2024, 4:27 am
Hope you’re right! A hooker swap would be perfect given the imbalance in our squad
This probably makes the most sense, to be perfectly honest.

It absolutely pains me to suggest this, and thinking purely long term here, but perhaps we offer them New Zealand international player Danny Levi?
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 22, 2024, 5:52 am
LimeGreenMachine wrote:Parra have enough already and none of ours are really an upgrade on what they have.
We already have room in our cap and a top 30 spot available I'd we happen to sign someone (hence pursuing Leilua).

Why on earth would you conclude our club would swap one of our star juniors to sign a player that his current club can't retain?

Let's be clear here, Sanders is contracted to Parramatta this season and under the new NRL Collective Bargaining Agreement he can't sign with another club until Round 6 OR when he has played 5 first grade games.

He hasn't signed with Parramatta beyond 2024. Our club is prepared to wait until 2025 to get him. We already have a halfback on the books for this season and next. There is no reason to release outstanding players in an attempt to get Sanders this season.
Dont want it to happen but if we needed to get it over the line then a player like Mooney would probably do it not some reserve grade level hooker.
Yes we can wait and more likely will, but if and only if we want it to happen this year then Parra will want something for it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We don’t have to give up anyone we want to keep. An early arrival for Sanders isn’t worth that. And once a deal is done, it can happen if the player wants it enough.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

I think the best outcome for all parties is for him to stay at Parramatta this season. He is learning his craft behind origin and international halves which is great for his development. If he comes here he would be playing NSW cup this season barring injury. Even next season he isn't likely to play 1st grade unless we get rid of Fogarty, which is unlikely. Not sure what the rush to get him here is - he is developing in a better environment for his position and can come here next year without any need for a player swap. Its a win all round.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

As a fan I would agree that Parramatta is a better environment to develop and the longer he’s there the better.

It’s hard to imagine Ricky Stuart believes that. He would believe that there is no better club and environment than the one he’s coaching. It’s quite an insult to levy at your boy that he’s better off being away from Stuart as long as possible :lol:

The club will want to get their hands on him asap so they can put him on the development track they want him on, not one that isn’t invested in him wants him on.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 22, 2024, 10:59 am I think the best outcome for all parties is for him to stay at Parramatta this season. He is learning his craft behind origin and international halves which is great for his development. If he comes here he would be playing NSW cup this season barring injury. Even next season he isn't likely to play 1st grade unless we get rid of Fogarty, which is unlikely. Not sure what the rush to get him here is - he is developing in a better environment for his position and can come here next year without any need for a player swap. Its a win all round.
So you're saying he's much better off learning his trade from Mitchell Moses than Ricky Stuart?

Interesting :hmmm
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

The Nickman wrote: February 22, 2024, 11:35 am
Bluesbrother wrote: February 22, 2024, 10:59 am I think the best outcome for all parties is for him to stay at Parramatta this season. He is learning his craft behind origin and international halves which is great for his development. If he comes here he would be playing NSW cup this season barring injury. Even next season he isn't likely to play 1st grade unless we get rid of Fogarty, which is unlikely. Not sure what the rush to get him here is - he is developing in a better environment for his position and can come here next year without any need for a player swap. Its a win all round.
So you're saying he's much better off learning his trade from Mitchell Moses than Ricky Stuart?

Interesting :hmmm
It's not the coaching, it's the competition. Not every club has a pair of representative halves (we certainly don't) to train and test yourself against every day. Where he is right now will be great for his development.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Happy to have ES coming but think the trial showed he is not ready for FG this year. With that in mind if he is getting NSW Cup games at Parra then we should not be swapping anyone to get him here early unless it suits us (Levi, Guler etc.)

Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

I agree the trial showed he needs more time playing that level since he hasn’t played NSW Cup yet.

But if he’s a potential starting half in 2025, you want him here asap.
Very important position, you want him in system when you can.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Beejay wrote: February 22, 2024, 7:23 pm I agree the trial showed he needs more time playing that level since he hasn’t played NSW Cup yet.

Agreed. Get him here. Get him working in our system and with the guys he’s going to be playing with. It would also probably help to relocate as early as possible, so there are no outside stressers when we need him to be focused on footy.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He's definitely going to need more time, that was i think his first game playing against NRL level talent
It's a big step up to go from Ball to NRL.

Ive said it before but i think for the most part his kicking game would be NRL ready tomorrow, and i think his defence would be ok too... good? No, not good, but there are a lot of bad defenders playing in the halves at NRL level and i dont think he'd be the worst defender. And i think in time he'll grow into a good defender.

But honestly watching him play reminded me a lot of Chevy in his early games of NSW Cup... you could see the talent, his head was swimming a bit, he was struggling with the physicality of it but i just felt watching him he'd catch on quickly. Felt the same about Sanders. Think with a year in NSW cup he could be a viable NRL option in 2025. But he does need the year that Chevy got last year.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Beejay wrote: February 22, 2024, 7:23 pm I agree the trial showed he needs more time playing that level since he hasn’t played NSW Cup yet.

I don't think he is a potential starting half in 25. Do you, given we have Fogarty on our books?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Bluesbrother wrote: February 22, 2024, 8:18 pm

I don't think he is a potential starting half in 25. Do you, given we have Fogarty on our books?
In 2025 Fog will be 30+ year old half who has never been better than a solid starter, but bottom 5 in the league and in the last year of his contract... do i think Sanders could start games in 2025 after a year of NSW Cup? Yeah i do.

And i point to this... many of us, including me said this about Chevy
Not a starter in 2024... 2025 at best!... and guess what Chevy's almost certainly going to play FG footy this year.
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins

Post by Bluesbrother »

Botman wrote: February 22, 2024, 8:28 pm
Bluesbrother wrote: February 22, 2024, 8:18 pm

In 2025 Fog will be 30+ year old half who has never been better than a solid starter, but bottom 5 in the league and in the last year of his contract... do i think Sanders could start games in 2025 after a year of NSW Cup? Yeah i do.

And i point to this... many of us, including me said this about Chevy
Not a starter in 2024... 2025 at best!... and guess what Chevy's almost certainly going to play FG footy this year.
There is some sense to that for sure.

For me though it's a very different skillset at halfback than fullback. I'd imagine the plan might be for him to start a few games in 25 but I certainly don't think he will start the 25 season as our 1st choice halfback at 20 years old. It's very young for a player in that position. He's talented but that's a huge ask.

I also thought he was very good on the weekend. He made a few kick errors but that's just because he isn't used to the speed of the game. Going from Flegg to NRL is probably the equivalent of going from having 10 seconds to kick a ball to 5. He is a very good player and I'm glad we have signed him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I wouldn't be surprised either if we can't sign a decent hooker, but sign Sanders for 25 for Fog to reskill in that role.

Good pass, good defender, decent short kicking game. I think he'd transition nicely, especially if Treviliyan doesn't kick on
Last edited by -TW- on February 22, 2024, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If we sign Sanders i think he's going to be firmly in the mix for the LH position in 2025.
I think thats part of the pitch to get him here, as it was Chevy, that's our selling point. You get fast tracked to FG because we need elite talent at these key positions

If we complete this signing i think Sanders will be in the 2025 mix as much as Chevy is right now in the 2024 mix. It WILL BE early. But he'll be in the mix sooner than we think he should be right now.