All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Parramatta Eels still hoping to hold onto Raiders target Ethan Sanders

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: November 28, 2023, 10:52 am
Green Blogger wrote: November 28, 2023, 8:35 am There is clearly something going on with two spots opening up in our top 30 so fingers are definitely crossed that Sanders arriving early is one of them.
I tend to agree. I don't know why else we'd have cleared the decks of two pretty useful depth players unless we had someone in mind to fill them.
I dont think the club wanted or anticipated the Morkos roster spot opening up.
HSS was obviously something they knew about and was bubbling away... so i wonder if they got banged a little bit on timing. And maybe if Morkos steps away a month ago, HSS would have been retained?
Or maybe not. IDK.
But it doesnt sound like Morkos was a case of clearing the decks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The fact Brad Morkos hadn’t been re-signed and was a free agent for 2025 tells you something however.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Outside backs aren't too difficult to replace, and neither of them will come back to haunt us. Quality halves on the other hand, you have to roll the dice and have a crack. Possibly a superstar, possibly a dud . After fog we have a bare cupboard, so this makes so much sense.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: November 28, 2023, 12:42 pm The fact Brad Morkos hadn’t been re-signed and was a free agent for 2025 tells you something however.
Yeah that's a fair counter. Would be interesting to know how long this decision had been looming for Morkos and how much the club knew
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Time to move on from a guy that hasn't played nrl
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: November 28, 2023, 7:18 pm Time to move on from a guy that hasn't played nrl
Sorry, what?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Pack er up folks, can't sign any kids if they haven't played NRL.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Think he is referring to Morkos….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Brew wrote: November 28, 2023, 7:43 pm Think he is referring to Morkos….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That seemed pretty obvious to me as well
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Morkos moved on from us and none in that thread is clamouring for us to desperately try and convince him otherwise.
Strange comment if he's referring to Morkos given that context and in a thread about our interest in Ethan Sanders :lol:
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

I really hope he works out.. if he even signs with us.
But I do think there could of been benefit to hold onto Schneider or James as back up halves, I just can't see a young halfback being the lord and saviour for this footy side, he needs to play nsw cup and show his wares first
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

magoo wrote:Outside backs aren't too difficult to replace, and neither of them will come back to haunt us. Quality halves on the other hand, you have to roll the dice and have a crack. Possibly a superstar, possibly a dud . After fog we have a bare cupboard, so this makes so much sense.
Agreed. There's a significant difference between a winger like JAC, To'o, Holmes a few elite others and the rest. Wing is a great pathway to bring through a young player and if they walk, you look at the next guy on the production line. I don't think elite wingers are worth buying unless you are looking to put the finishing touches on a side already in contention, with a settled spine.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Neeeegz wrote:I really hope he works out.. if he even signs with us.
But I do think there could of been benefit to hold onto Schneider or James as back up halves, I just can't see a young halfback being the lord and saviour for this footy side, he needs to play nsw cup and show his wares first
We're looking very skinny in the halves and outside backs. A couple of injuries and we are toast.

Not Hooker though. We're good for Hookers.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

Dr Zaius wrote: November 28, 2023, 9:14 pm
We're looking very skinny in the halves and outside backs. A couple of injuries and we are toast.

Can any of our hookers play halves ? Isn't Levi a "footy player" ?
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Neeeegz wrote:

Can any of our hookers play halves ? Isn't Levi a "footy player" ?
Starlings more a lock then halfback….
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

Starling's more of a keyring than a lock
Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Rapana, Cotric, Kris, Timoko, Savage - potential starting back 5

Stewart, Asomua, Schiller, Hopoate, Weekes - reserves

Strange, Fogarty - potential starting halves

Weekes, Dargan - reserves

Outside backs aren't too bad, I don't think we need any more. Given Savage can cover wing and the versatility of Schiller - but we definitely need another half though - hopefully Sanders is on his way into our top 30.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Starting to slow down for the end of the year so I’ve been looking at a Parramatta eels sports column named “The Cumberland Throw” which details the pre-season training.

Of relevance to Ethan Sanders, the following was mentioned:

10 November - “The M runs were split into two groups… Ethan Sanders consistently led the group”

“Given that Ethan Sanders has been referenced a couple of times in this report. I’m anticipating that there will be some strong opinions expressed about his departure to the raiders in 2024. I’m not excepting Ethan to change his mind about the move. What is apparent from this start to the preseason is that Sanders is going to be giving his all in this final year at Parra. I also believe that BA will utilise him during the season should injury or circumstance create that opportunity”.

13 November - “Ethan Sanders also caught the eye. He is much bigger than the traditional halfback size, but he’s not short on speed”.

15 and 17 November - “soon after, the conditioning work began. Once more the young players were prominent in leading their groups. Ethan Sanders…. We’re consistently up front”.

“Once more I have to give a shoutout to Ethan Sanders… these young books have set high standards in all of the fitness work”.

“These stations wrapped up with the kickers and catchers coming together in their work… as far as kicking was concerned, both Ethan Sanders and Matt Arthur were incredibly accurate. I can’t recall any of their kicks landed outside of the marked zone”.

20 November - “Mitch Moses was running with Dylan Brown and Ethan Sanders. As Moses and Brown competed around the bend, Sanders sat on their heels. The thee are comparable in pace with Dylan Brown possibly even faster than Moses. Where there is a difference, is in their size. Ethan Sanders is a tall half… he must be at least around 6’2 and much heavier than Brown and Moses. I have no doubt that if he was required to make an NRL debut in the halves in 2024, he could haven’t the physicality”.

Really hope this is official soon after the round 6 timeframe next year - kid looks the goods.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Thanks Dylan - that’s a little bitter sweet to read that. Obviously it’s great news to hear he is carving it up and looking the goods, but perhaps if he was stinking it up at Parra he might arrive here sooner.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: December 5, 2023, 1:40 pm Starting to slow down for the end of the year so I’ve been looking at a Parramatta eels sports column named “The Cumberland Throw” which details the pre-season training.

Of relevance to Ethan Sanders, the following was mentioned:

10 November - “The M runs were split into two groups… Ethan Sanders consistently led the group”

“Given that Ethan Sanders has been referenced a couple of times in this report. I’m anticipating that there will be some strong opinions expressed about his departure to the raiders in 2024. I’m not excepting Ethan to change his mind about the move. What is apparent from this start to the preseason is that Sanders is going to be giving his all in this final year at Parra. I also believe that BA will utilise him during the season should injury or circumstance create that opportunity”.

13 November - “Ethan Sanders also caught the eye. He is much bigger than the traditional halfback size, but he’s not short on speed”.

15 and 17 November - “soon after, the conditioning work began. Once more the young players were prominent in leading their groups. Ethan Sanders…. We’re consistently up front”.

“Once more I have to give a shoutout to Ethan Sanders… these young books have set high standards in all of the fitness work”.

“These stations wrapped up with the kickers and catchers coming together in their work… as far as kicking was concerned, both Ethan Sanders and Matt Arthur were incredibly accurate. I can’t recall any of their kicks landed outside of the marked zone”.

20 November - “Mitch Moses was running with Dylan Brown and Ethan Sanders. As Moses and Brown competed around the bend, Sanders sat on their heels. The thee are comparable in pace with Dylan Brown possibly even faster than Moses. Where there is a difference, is in their size. Ethan Sanders is a tall half… he must be at least around 6’2 and much heavier than Brown and Moses. I have no doubt that if he was required to make an NRL debut in the halves in 2024, he could haven’t the physicality”.

Really hope this is official soon after the round 6 timeframe next year - kid looks the goods.
Good info, thanks. You're crushing the boards today! :clap:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah thanks for posting, really appreciate that
Good information. Man im going to be super excited if we can sign this guy. He's got a lot of potential and i can not stress enough how important it is that he's a good on paper match for Strange in that Strange is a right side player who ideally needs to be paired with a left side half who's a primary kicker
And that's exactly what Sanders is.
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

Well he has just started following the Raiders insta page 🤔
Hopefully this signing happens very quickly now.
Fingers crossed
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bayraider wrote: December 6, 2023, 9:02 am Well he has just started following the Raiders insta page 🤔
Fingers crossed
Weird that who an athlete follows and doesnt follow is actually noteworthy these days :lol:
Him following Canberra is a pretty good sign that we're still on track here
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bayraider wrote: December 6, 2023, 9:02 am Well he has just started following the Raiders insta page 🤔
Fingers crossed
Done deal!
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Great info, Dylan! Loved every part of that.
magoo
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Papa

Post by magoo »

Get him here 😁, he's going to be special
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Thank you all! Also, for anyone who hasn’t seen this, this highlights package was posted a couple months back and was very impressive imo.

Bluesbrother
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Bluesbrother »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: December 6, 2023, 4:19 pm Thank you all! Also, for anyone who hasn’t seen this, this highlights package was posted a couple months back and was very impressive imo.

Based upon that clip he reminds me a lot of Moses the way he moves with ball in hand and his passing game. Hopefully he has a better temperament.
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

...and Uncle
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: December 6, 2023, 4:19 pm Thank you all! Also, for anyone who hasn’t seen this, this highlights package was posted a couple months back and was very impressive imo.

Great highlights package. His attack is NRL standard now. Will be nice to have a half who can ball play and react to what the defence gives him. It's been a long time.

Everything is crossed he ends up a Raider.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Thank you for the highlights package. Whether he is wearing the 7 or 6 he is predominantly a left side player who can really set up an attack.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: December 6, 2023, 8:41 pm

Great highlights package. His attack is NRL standard now. Will be nice to have a half who can ball play and react to what the defence gives him. It's been a long time.

I think his attack will take some time, particularly ball playing. He’s got all the skills but it’s a totally different beast ball playing at nrl speed

What I am confident in is that he can come in day 1 and have an nrl average long kicking game and I think he’s big enough and physical enough that he’ll make his tackles in a Brad Schnieder sort of way

Which for me is really important. If a young half can kick well and tackle, it really gives them the ability to settle in and grow as a player
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

How long do Parra have to change his mind?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders666 wrote:How long do Parra have to change his mind?
rd6 but I fully expect he'll wear lime green in 2024

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: December 7, 2023, 8:45 am
Wiki Special wrote: December 6, 2023, 8:41 pm

I think his attack will take some time, particularly ball playing. He’s got all the skills but it’s a totally different beast ball playing at nrl speed

What I am confident in is that he can come in day 1 and have an nrl average long kicking game and I think he’s big enough and physical enough that he’ll make his tackles in a Brad Schnieder sort of way

Which for me is really important. If a young half can kick well and tackle, it really gives them the ability to settle in and grow as a player
I hear what you are saying. Really looking forward to seeing how he adapts to NSW Cup next year.