Thank you Jamal Fogarty

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Thank you Jamal Fogarty

Post by Seiffert82 »

Just wanted to give a shout out to our little halfback.

It is clear he has taken on a much more significant leadership role, especially during Wighton's indifferent form. Our performance is slowly becoming less beholden to how Jack plays, largely due to Fogarty.

IMO Fog's kicking game has been great, he has defended bravely and has been a mature influence among a young playing group.

In 24 odd games with the club he now has a 67% winning record while playing with a spine which has been unstable and inconsistent at best.

Anyway, I've really appreciated what he has brought to this team and love watching him play.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on May 14, 2023, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Thank you Jamal Fogarty

Post by Coastalraider »

Bang on. It’s the role we thought he was bought to the club for, but I feel that the love of Jack from the coaching staff has been a hurdle he has needed to overcome.

Jamal himself has said previously that his role was to play off Jack… now we are seeing the player that he was at the titans. The change coincided with the senior players taking control a few weeks back. Great stuff.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Seems like a quality human.

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

I'm a big fan of his. Seems to be getting better each game.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Bang on Seiff, every week he’s on the improve.

Still can’t out run Papa over 50 but he’s workin on it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Nothing but love for the Fog
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

-PJ- wrote: May 14, 2023, 3:35 pm Bang on Seiff, every week he’s on the improve.

Geez, some peoples expectations on here. I'd like to see you out run big papa.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

The whole time he’s been here I’ve always liked what he’s offered, I just didn’t think he was given enough share of the ball. Now he’s getting his share he’s really flourishing.

As is the team. It’s brilliant to see.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

deanoman wrote: May 14, 2023, 3:54 pm
-PJ- wrote: May 14, 2023, 3:35 pm Bang on Seiff, every week he’s on the improve.

Geez, some peoples expectations on here. I'd like to see you out run big papa.
Piece of pearce bro, won’t even need a 15m head start like Fog needed.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

His kicking game has been really high quality of late
Very happy with his play so far this year
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

When Fog returned from injury last yr we went on a run.
When Rick handed over the keys we went on a run.
This version of Fog is worth twice what we are paying him.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Great call, Seif. Totally agree.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

👏 S82
The Fog is rising.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

This thread title gave me a ****ing heart attack.

I've absolutely loved Fogs this year, but especially since the Brisbane game, it's seemed like he's stepped up another level, and even better, Jack has recognised it and is letting Fogs lead the way.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

raiderskater wrote:This thread title gave me a ****ing heart attack.

I've absolutely loved Fogs this year, but especially since the Brisbane game, it's seemed like he's stepped up another level, and even better, Jack has recognised it and is letting Fogs lead the way.
It’s not Jack decision, Fog was given control when Jack got suspended and once he returned he’d signed for the Bunnies leaving old Rocky no choice but to leave the keys with Fog. Blind Freddy could see the halfback should have been directing the team but it took Rocky a bit of heartbreak.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Agree! He has been great. A really astute signing by the club. His play and leadership gives me confidence re what they will come up with next.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

First grade person too
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Taken control of the team and turned our season around.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

it says more about the mental fragility of 'fans' than the spotlight performances of Jamal that he's now being recognised as being a good halfback.
He always has been. Any suggestion otherwise is stupid - for those who are just coming around, welcome to reality.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Love4Noa wrote: May 15, 2023, 9:04 am it says more about the mental fragility of 'fans' than the spotlight performances of Jamal that he's now being recognised as being a good halfback.
He always has been. Any suggestion otherwise is stupid - for those who are just coming around, welcome to reality.
Haha yeah, couldn't agree more, I never could understand the criticism levelled at the guy, we've always looked better with him on the field.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Since Jack was suspended and then made his decision to move on, Fog has prospered. He is playing heads up footy as evidenced by the grubber for the Kris try on the weekend. He saw the defenders expecting a kick to the right and were moving that way and instead he put the ball straight ahead and wrong footed the lot of them. Not only that but Kris was in position to take advantage so it looked like good communication of what was on.

On top of that, every interview with him he shows what a thoughtful quality human being he is.
Lamenting Actions
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Trust in The Fog. I do enjoy watching him take on the line as well. He isn't afraid to simply pin his ears back and muscle in when needed.

I can also 100 percent see him in a leadership role post playing as well. Sia vibes.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: May 15, 2023, 10:42 am
Love4Noa wrote: May 15, 2023, 9:04 am it says more about the mental fragility of 'fans' than the spotlight performances of Jamal that he's now being recognised as being a good halfback.
Haha yeah, couldn't agree more, I never could understand the criticism levelled at the guy, we've always looked better with him on the field.
I'd say some of the criticism was fair but out of his control.
Team was clearly being controlled more by Wighton early on and now that Fog has the keys, his quality is on display.
He's still a problem in defence but you accept that problem given he's shown better game management than Wighton.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Wow! So even when Fog was playing crap for us, and copping lots of criticism because his performances were so crap, you, Love4Noa, the man who sees beyond the trees, *knew* he was a good player? How did you know? I can just imagine you pitying all of us fools for even dare questioning his ability, it takes a wise man to look past crap form and total lack of skills to see the treasures that lie beneath. Congratulations.

Fog has been playing well last couple of games, but he's still a mediocre halfback. That doesn't mean he's not a first grade half back, it just means we temper our expectations of him as being some sort of elite half back who's going to light up the NRL. As long as he does the basics well; passing, kicking, organising, he will remain our first choice HB. The points will come from players around him.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

It has been a fair effort for him to win 2/3 games playing with a combo of Savage/Hopoate/Kris at fullback (all rookies to the role), Wighton or Frawley at 5/8 and then Woolford/Starling/Levi at hooker. Mostly rookies and fill-ins.

For a bloke that was signed as a temporary fix to a long-term problem he's handled himself remarkably well. He's a real gem.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

rayden83 wrote: May 15, 2023, 12:28 pm
Wow! So even when Fog was playing crap for us, and copping lots of criticism because his performances were so crap, you, Love4Noa, the man who sees beyond the trees, *knew* he was a good player? How did you know? I can just imagine you pitying all of us fools for even dare questioning his ability, it takes a wise man to look past crap form and total lack of skills to see the treasures that lie beneath. Congratulations.

Fog has been playing well last couple of games, but he's still a mediocre halfback. That doesn't mean he's not a first grade half back, it just means we temper our expectations of him as being some sort of elite half back who's going to light up the NRL. As long as he does the basics well; passing, kicking, organising, he will remain our first choice HB. The points will come from players around him.
A lot of fans have trouble with
a) giving constructive criticism vs an ad hominem attack. E.g that Fog needs to land his bombs near the line not 15m out vs Fog is a crap half.

b) understanding that fans offering constructive criticism are not making an ad hominem and are not "haters who are wrong", when a player improves said areas of game.

The nuance on Fog is his knee injury and his role within the team- both of which may have contributed to his improvement.

I see Fog as a Chad Townsend type half. When he does his job, the team will do well. Fog's running game isn't spectacular but he runs just often enough and just well enough at the right times to make it a relevant threat to a defence. His passing game is solid, serves others ok but not a gamebreaker and not exactly creative. His long kicking is ok, his medium to short kicking us better, and has been clever and well executed the last month . His bombs lately have been excellent, coming down right on the money or targeting players on chips.

Has he improved with confidence after injury? I'd say it's a psychology/strategy shift where Jack is finally no longer the be all and end all.

I agree he's a mid tier half who can play a role well. We'd want to recruit a gun #6 or #7 alongside him if he's it long term. Welsby or whomever.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Appears to be a great person, intelligent, and getting better and better.
I agree with the other posts. Looking forward to supporting him for years to come.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

I wasn't happy with his start to the season, but since given the keys to the team, he has been one of my favourites, he's been exactly what I'd hoped.
But it has helped jacks game a lot, so win win, and good on him I reckon
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

His best game as a Raider last night. I know we almost let the game go, but for 69 mins it was the Jamal Fogarty show.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Our win rate with Fog in the side is elite
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

His short kicking game has become as good as anyone in the comp.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ve also been pleasantly surprised by his improvement in his long kicking game. I reckon he’s added an extra 15 metres of power to his long kicks. We’ve also seen it in his touchfinders.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Jamal is doing exactly what we had hoped when we signed him: being a solid, competent, organising, middle-to-top tier halfback.

That does not mean he is or may ever scale the levels of Cleary et al, but at present he is probably playing like a top 33%ile halfback, which is pretty darn good. Long may it continue.

It is not a surprise that when a competent halfback takes the reins, wins have followed. Always it has been thus.
Up The Milk
President Clinton
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

To think the Titans let him go for Toby **** Sexton.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

President Clinton wrote: June 3, 2023, 10:44 am To think the Titans let him go for Toby **** Sexton.
Toby **** Sexton looked great in a few games back in 2021, and Fog was completely vanilla. That's the gamble you take on young halves though. They came up snake eyes on that one. Where's the sex-bomb now?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.