Raiders retention targets

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Raiders retention targets

Post by greeneyed »

NRL arms race: Six months to sign rugby league’s biggest names

A group of elite players who at midnight on Sunday, will be six months away from being free to ink deals elsewhere. The group includes Tom Dearden, Jacob Kiraz, Tevita Pangai Junior, Josh Schuster, Tolutau Koula, Jaydn Su’A, Campbell Graham, Jai Arrow, Keaon Koloamatangi, Tevita Tatola, Angus Crichton, Brandon Smith, Luke Keary, Dylan Edwards, Jarome Luai, Liam Martin, Nick Meaney, Moeaki Fotuaika, Jayden Campbell and Adam Doueihi.

Others such as Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, Stefano Utoikamanu, Api Koroisau have mutual options in their deals, which means they could hit the market, depending on the stance of their existing clubs.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 3a48019e7d

RAIDERS

Top target: Now that the Jack Wighton dust has settled, the Raiders need to get moving on a host of influential members of their current squad. There’s none more important than outstanding forward Hudson Young, who only has 2024 on-contract. The Raiders are poised to commence talks with Young over the next fortnight.

Other players: Nick Cotric, Jamal Fogarty, Peter Hola, Sebastian Kris, Danny Levi, Ata Mariota, Trey Mooney, Pasami Saulo, James Schiller, Harley Smith-Shields, Tom Starling, Semi Valemei, Elliott Whitehead, Zac Woolford, Hudson Young.
Green Machine 2011
Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Raiders retention targets

Post by Green Machine 2011 »

I’ll take Api, Keon and Dearden please lol
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Whether it’s a signal ,Timoko leading the team victory song,that Jordan will retire I could only guess.
But with the way JR is playing he surely has another year in him if he wants.If anything the gap between him and who would replace him at the club has only widened and unless they are going to splash big money on a winger from elsewhere he should be a certainty to be retained.
NoMan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Boogz

Post by NoMan »

Kris and Young are the obvious priorities. If they don't want to play Kris at fullback permanently they might end up having to overpay him as a center though.

Mariota, Mooney and Woolford are all keepers, and Fogarty unless they can bring over someone like Dodd. The rest would need to still earn a deal. I would think that players like Asomua, Morkos, Stewart and Puru are likely penciled in for the 25 squad already.

Cotric will be an interesting one and a good indicator for how serious they are about rebuilding. I would think unless he really turns things around he would be due a big pay cut and no guarantee of a starting spot.
jimmy82
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

1. Edwards
6. Luai
9. Api
12. Koloamatangi/Martin
That would be all please, Savage can play wing.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

If Luai ever leaves Penrith he will be a monumental flop. He’s an ok player but he’s incredibly over rated.

With Cleary carrying a groin injury and in the pouring rain he kicked the ball twice last night and made a crucial error or two. I think it’s pretty clear he’s not close to the top 5 or 6 pivots in the competition. He’s been lost without Kikau just like he was all at sea for NSW in Origin. If he’s picked over Hynes there it will be a disaster for NSW.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

julian87 wrote:If Luai ever leaves Penrith he will be a monumental flop. He’s an ok player but he’s incredibly over rated.

With Cleary carrying a groin injury and in the pouring rain he kicked the ball twice last night and made a crucial error or two. I think it’s pretty clear he’s not close to the top 5 or 6 pivots in the competition. He’s been lost without Kikau just like he was all at sea for NSW in Origin. If he’s picked over Hynes there it will be a disaster for NSW.
Absolutely agree. I have been saying this since day one. He rides on the coattails of Cleary and a stacked side.

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Scared Hitless wrote: April 30, 2023, 6:20 pm
julian87 wrote:If Luai ever leaves Penrith he will be a monumental flop. He’s an ok player but he’s incredibly over rated.

Absolutely agree. I have been saying this since day one. He rides on the coattails of Cleary and a stacked side.

I'll third this.

Luai is in the same vain as Feliti Meteo when it comes to flat track bullies. The guy is a mug.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Savage, Timoko, Strange, Tapine, Rapana

Post by Neeeegz »

dubby wrote: April 30, 2023, 6:31 pm
Scared Hitless wrote: April 30, 2023, 6:20 pm

I'll third this.

Luai is in the same vain as Feliti Meteo when it comes to flat track bullies. The guy is a mug.
Yep, I will burn every bit of raiders gear I have at the front door of raiders headquarters if we sign that drongo
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

What is everyone’s opinion on Josh Schuster? Broken down hack or a BJ Leilua redemption story?
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

kona_dream wrote:What is everyone’s opinion on Josh Schuster? Broken down hack or a BJ Leilua redemption story?
**** no.
Not to mention he was one of the drongos that sat out due to the pride jersey and cost manly their season

julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He’s a good player but the stories and odds are very quickly stacking against him. Manly wouldn’t have signed Flanagan if they had faith in him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I continue to think Laui is under-rated by most people because they hate him.
Should he play SOO ahead of Hynes? or Burton? No he shouldnt. He's also had a pretty rough start to the year and is out of form... could that be related to Kikau, sure. And it's a risk because getting spine players from a good teams is always risky. But he can play. He's a good NRL running 5/8th.

Frankly he's better 5/8th than Jack right now. He's not a better ball runner (Jack at his best is much better) but he's more consistently impactful as a ball runner. He's a better and more creative ball player.
We swap Jack for Laui right now and we're a better team imo. He's not going to come, if he has to leave the Panthers there will no lacking of suitors in sydney for him, so its fine. I just think people hate him as a personality so much (and fair enough) that they pretend he cant play. It's just not the case.

My issue with him is he's a little like Jack, in that you really have to pair him with the right half and i'd just like to do something different than build a team around that sort of player. So he's not my favourite target with this money... but if Stuart wants to forge forward with the current roster build and plan, Laui as a direct Wighton replacement makes a ton of sense.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Nah no way. Wighton is a better 6 in every single aspect other than color of the jersey and being arrogant on social media.

Luai plays with the best halfback since Johns. Wighton plays with a bloke who’s lucky to be the 13th best 7 in the competition. And even in ‘19 Sezer was good but mid range.

Put Wighton into 6 at Penrith and they’re way, way better imo. Nothing will change my mind on that given the footy I’ve watched in the past 4 years.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

And just on Origin. Luai shouldn’t be in the first 5 or 6 options imo.

Yes I hate the bloke. But I’m old enough now to think I’m pretty objective on player ratings consistent to what I think about them as peopl.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Luai has absolute bums on his edge, Garner/Sorensen/WGD

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

julian87 wrote: April 30, 2023, 8:38 pm Yes I hate the bloke. But I’m old enough now to think I’m pretty objective on player ratings consistent to what I think about them as peopl.
Based on assessment above, i have my doubts :lol:
There is NO **** way you think Wighton is a better ball player. Kikau would be on 400k a year and still a panther sitting outside Wighton. :lol:

But maybe we'll find out. Think there is a reasonable chance Laui is forced out of the panthers. I think he'll be good as long as he lands in a spot with a proper half next to him... If he's forced to be a primary half like Jack Wighton, he'll look a lot like Jack Wighton... hit and miss.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

There was the end of that year, what was it, 2021 maybe, where Luai was just dynamite. He's got talent

He does seem to have gone a little cold, but it could just be his role in that Panthers setup
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 30, 2023, 8:55 pm There was the end of that year, what was it, 2021 maybe, where Luai was just dynamite. He's got talent

He does seem to have gone a little cold, but it could just be his role in that Panthers setup
He's been the primary half in games with the panthers without Cleary (injury and suspension) and he's been awesome. Anyone doubting his talent is too in their feelings about him as a bloke. Again, i'd pick Hynes AND Burton ahead of him NSW #6. Not not Cleary, he's not Burton, he's not Hynes. But he can play, he's a good NRL running 5/8th. Form right now is pretty rank though.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Lmao people think Wighton is a better half than Luai…
Would take Luai any day of the week but there is no chance Penrith let him go.
They’d let Edwards leave before Luai..
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: April 30, 2023, 8:58 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 30, 2023, 8:55 pm There was the end of that year, what was it, 2021 maybe, where Luai was just dynamite. He's got talent

He's been the primary half in games with the panthers without Cleary (injury and suspension) and he's been awesome. Anyone doubting his talent is too in their feelings about him as a bloke. Again, i'd pick Hynes AND Burton ahead of him NSW #6. Not not Cleary, he's not Burton, he's not Hynes. But he can play, he's a good NRL running 5/8th. Form right now is pretty rank though.
He's a better half than Burton IMO. Burton is a centre.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 30, 2023, 9:17 pm
Botman wrote: April 30, 2023, 8:58 pm

He's a better half than Burton IMO. Burton is a centre.
Haha. Good one.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

kona_dream wrote: April 30, 2023, 8:05 pm What is everyone’s opinion on Josh Schuster? Broken down hack or a BJ Leilua redemption story?
Owen Craigie #2
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Burton is a half that also plays very well at centre. Wighton is a centre that plays ok at 5/8th.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

If luia is the answer, what's the question?

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

dubby wrote: April 30, 2023, 9:43 pm If luia is the answer, what's the question?
I can think of a few unsavoury questions...
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

dubby wrote: April 30, 2023, 9:43 pm If luia is the answer, what's the question?
The exact question is this

If you’d like to continue the trajectory of the current Canberra Raiders post Jack Wighton, who is best suited to replace him?

That answer is unquestionably Luai. It’s not a question I’d want to ask but I bet our coach does
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Jeez, some decent names on this list……don’t we have a bit of free cash now???

Api would be my top target
Edwards and Dearden to strengthen our spine
Koloamatangi to replace Whitehead
Campbell Graham to replace Croker
Tino to replace Papa when he decides to retire - I like his mongrel

This of course would never happen but would be nice.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

Post by Robert the Bruce »

Dylan Edwards could maybe? Maaaaybe? Come to Canberra. He’s the salt of the earth country boy who could suit the Canberra bush surrounds. Though it’s completely possible he already lives on some acreage and commutes not far into Penrith , he could get some acreage near Canberra and do the same. Honestly, that Clive Churchill medal ceremony was pretty suspect as far as how he fits in up there in Penrith, I think he’d suit our family club vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Luai is the kind of player who turns a very good side into a great one and has little impact on a good or average team.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

MrPosh wrote: May 1, 2023, 5:21 am Luai is the kind of player who turns a very good side into a great one and has little impact on a good or average team.
This.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:Nah no way. Wighton is a better 6 in every single aspect other than color of the jersey and being arrogant on social media.

Luai plays with the best halfback since Johns. Wighton plays with a bloke who’s lucky to be the 13th best 7 in the competition. And even in ‘19 Sezer was good but mid range.

Put Wighton into 6 at Penrith and they’re way, way better imo. Nothing will change my mind on that given the footy I’ve watched in the past 4 years.
*best NEW SOUTH WALES halfback since Johns.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

dubby wrote:
kona_dream wrote: April 30, 2023, 8:05 pm What is everyone’s opinion on Josh Schuster? Broken down hack or a BJ Leilua redemption story?
Owen Craigie #2
That’s not nice towards Owen
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: April 30, 2023, 8:30 pm I continue to think Laui is under-rated by most people because they hate him.
Should he play SOO ahead of Hynes? or Burton? No he shouldnt. He's also had a pretty rough start to the year and is out of form... could that be related to Kikau, sure. And it's a risk because getting spine players from a good teams is always risky. But he can play. He's a good NRL running 5/8th.

Frankly he's better 5/8th than Jack right now. He's not a better ball runner (Jack at his best is much better) but he's more consistently impactful as a ball runner. He's a better and more creative ball player.
We swap Jack for Laui right now and we're a better team imo. He's not going to come, if he has to leave the Panthers there will no lacking of suitors in sydney for him, so its fine. I just think people hate him as a personality so much (and fair enough) that they pretend he cant play. It's just not the case.

My issue with him is he's a little like Jack, in that you really have to pair him with the right half and i'd just like to do something different than build a team around that sort of player. So he's not my favourite target with this money... but if Stuart wants to forge forward with the current roster build and plan, Laui as a direct Wighton replacement makes a ton of sense.
After their initial embarrassment Luai was incredible in the world cup. If you didn't see those games you'd rightly conclude he can't string together consistent high level performances.
For Penrith he really only needs 1 in 6 or so performances to make a difference and even then he can usually drift in and out and they get the chocolates.
He's better now than he was 2 years ago owing to Cleary being out.
All that said I hate his guts and don't want to have to support him :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Wow - it seems beggars think they can be choosers with some of these comments